NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Government releases figures showing badger cull case was exaggerated by flawed bovine TB statistics

3 posters

Go down

Government releases figures showing badger cull case was exaggerated by flawed bovine TB statistics Empty Government releases figures showing badger cull case was exaggerated by flawed bovine TB statistics

Post by Irn Bru Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 pm

The Government’s highly controversial badger cull has suffered a further setback after it released figures which showed it had exaggerated the case for the cull.

The Department for Food, Agriculture and Rural Affairs (Defra) has admitted that an IT glitch meant it had overstated the number of cattle herds infected by tuberculosis in Britain to such an extent that there had actually been a decline in the year preceding the badger cull in September 2013, rather than the rise it had previously announced.

Revised numbers, calculated after an error was found in the system last month, show that the number of herds infected by bovine TB fell by 3.4 per cent in the year to September 2013, rather than rising by 18 per cent, as it previously said.

Defra also disclosed that the rate of new infections had been slightly exaggerated in both 2012 and 2013 – again undermining the case for the cull of badgers, which most scientists believe help to spread the disease between cattle.

Further undermining Mr Paterson’s case for the cull, new figures showed that there was a 13 per cent reduction in the number of cattle – as opposed to herds – compulsorily slaughtered in England because of bovine TB between January to November in 2013, compared to the same period the year earlier.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-releases-figures-showing-badger-cull-case-was-exaggerated-by-flawed-bovine-tb-statistics-9130563.html

A computer glitch was the reason for the men with the guns to go out and shoot the Badgers.

Gww whiz, no wonder they moved the goalposts.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Government releases figures showing badger cull case was exaggerated by flawed bovine TB statistics Empty Re: Government releases figures showing badger cull case was exaggerated by flawed bovine TB statistics

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Now I have steam coming out of my ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bastards, I used to love sitting watching the badgers at night when we first moved to Somerset and lived in a mobile home and Johnny Kingdom who used to do a wildlife programme from there was in tears over the cull, and now we now it was all based on a bloody lie.

Back to top Go down

Government releases figures showing badger cull case was exaggerated by flawed bovine TB statistics Empty Re: Government releases figures showing badger cull case was exaggerated by flawed bovine TB statistics

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:26 pm

computer glitch my arse...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 pm

That's my thinking on the matter as well!

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:44 pm

victorismyhero wrote:computer glitch my arse...

exactly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Beekeeper wrote:Cool 

"Flawed.. statistics".

Brave New world speak for those mealy mouthed Tory apparatchiks..

Translation = "fabricated, faked and fraudulent figures were used in our policy making."

DEFRA =  Bunch of turd-munching sellout toadies pandering to their "hunting and shooting" blood-thirsty Lords&Masters...     ::sexbnan:    ::alahoo::     ::dunno::

WHEN...you know what you are gabbling on about bee ...then you may be able to make a considered comment, until then I suggest you learn something first .(better to remain silent and folks think you're thick, than open your mouth and prove ir)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:39 pm

victorismyhero wrote:
Beekeeper wrote:Cool 

"Flawed.. statistics".

Brave New world speak for those mealy mouthed Tory apparatchiks..

Translation = "fabricated, faked and fraudulent figures were used in our policy making."

DEFRA =  Bunch of turd-munching sellout toadies pandering to their "hunting and shooting" blood-thirsty Lords&Masters...     ::sexbnan:    ::alahoo::     ::dunno::

WHEN...you know what you are gabbling on about bee ...then you may be able to make a considered comment, until then I suggest you learn something first .(better to remain silent and folks think you're thick, than open your mouth and prove ir)

Why would anyone think killing the badgers was related to hunting and fishing. It was the farmers that wanted it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Sassy wrote:Now I have steam coming out of my ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bastards, I used to love sitting watching the badgers at night when we first moved to Somerset and lived in a mobile home and Johnny Kingdom who used to do a wildlife programme from there was in tears over the cull, and now we now it was all based on a bloody lie.

I'm sure some coalition ministers went around and deliberately did this. I could of course been some Ministry of Agriculture scientists/officials who made the mistake who also wanted to ruin your view.

The implication of your venom is that this was an exercise in sadism to animals do you mind if I say that is ridiculous!

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:36 pm

I'd rather say it was a pandering to the "farmer lobby". Most of whom havnt a clue about ecology or how things work.DESPITE them and their parents etc (often back over generations) having lived and worked within it .
The WORST are the modern "college" farmers who know bugger all except how to pass exams...theres one on here....

FOR instance they just cant wrap their heads round one simple little fact...the sero type of the TB bacterium commonly carried by badgers is DIFFERENT to the one affecting cattle....DURRRRRRRR ITS NOT THE SAME BUG....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:45 pm

And they carefully avoid that fact when they put out the figures. It's pathetic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:49 pm

victorismyhero wrote:I'd rather say it was a pandering to the "farmer lobby". Most of whom havnt a clue about ecology or how things work.DESPITE them and their parents etc (often back over generations) having lived and worked within it .
The WORST are the modern "college" farmers who know bugger all except how to pass exams...theres one on here....

FOR instance they just cant wrap their heads round one simple little fact...the sero type of the TB bacterium commonly carried by badgers is DIFFERENT to the one affecting cattle....DURRRRRRRR  ITS NOT THE SAME BUG....

I know absolutely nothing about farming so can't argue. My point was I didn't think government scientist were sadist, I'm pretty sure of that.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:52 pm

No, they are just prepared to look the other way to satisfy the farmers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down