NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EU wonders why Britain hasn't tapped fund for flood relief

3 posters

Go down

EU wonders why Britain hasn't tapped fund for flood relief Empty EU wonders why Britain hasn't tapped fund for flood relief

Post by Irn Bru Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:29 pm

(Reuters) - European officials are puzzled over why Britain has not applied for cash from an EU Solidarity Fund to help cope with catastrophic flooding in southwestern England.

Even Germany, the EU's wealthiest member state, tapped the then newly created fund for tens of millions of euros after it suffered a flooding disaster in 2002, along with several other central European countries.

But so far, Brussels hasn't received any application from London, where the idea of going cap-in-hand to Europe at a time of tension over Britain's future in the bloc is bound to make any such request politically sensitive.

Prime Minister David Cameron declared on Tuesday that money would be no object to fighting the floods that have cut off southwestern villages for weeks and forced thousands of people from their homes in Berkshire, west of London.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/12/us-eu-britain-floods-idUSBREA1B1KX20140212

At the the time that the right wing of his party are demonising the EU he really couldn't be seen to be going to the EU for funds that we're rightly entitled to ask for, could he?

Pity that the constituents that are suffering from these floods are not that high up on his list of priorities that he couldn't take the risk.

Get him out

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

EU wonders why Britain hasn't tapped fund for flood relief Empty Re: EU wonders why Britain hasn't tapped fund for flood relief

Post by Phoenix Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 pm

This does seem strange it not as if we don't pay enough in. Perhaps we shall see tomorrow. Cameron is a poor leader he seems to have an identity crisis he seems to be at odds with his own party.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

EU wonders why Britain hasn't tapped fund for flood relief Empty Re: EU wonders why Britain hasn't tapped fund for flood relief

Post by Eilzel Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Pathetic political play this; just so the public don't get a sniff of the EU as a good thing...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Eilzel wrote:Pathetic political play this; just so the public don't get a sniff of the EU as a good thing...

Exactly Les. Meanwhile parts of the country are practically drowning and yet he can't rise above the politics of it all and get some much needed help from a fund that the this country pays into.

It's a bloody scandal and he should be getting kicked up the arse for this.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:16 pm

I wonder whether they will be plastering this all over the Daily Mail?

Absolutely pathetic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Eilzel wrote:Pathetic political play this; just so the public don't get a sniff of the EU as a good thing...

That's a leap to say the EU is a good thing simply giving some money back.

The EU has a lot to prove it hasn't got a good record on managing things itself.  Look at the Euro it knowlingly allowed in countries who produced dodgy figures putting in jeopardy not only the currency but the EU itself. It hasn't managed its public perception well and has allowed the sceptics to brand it anti democratic because it fears people having a say.

It is obsessed with producing regulations which cost jobs because it makes member countries more inefficient. I could add to these but you get the point the EU leadership is far from perfect.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Never mind what the EU has or is doing. In this case it has a fund that we could be using to help people who really need it, and Cameron isn't using it for political reasons. That stinks in anyone's book.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Sassy wrote:Never mind what the EU has or is doing.   In this case it has a fund that we could be using to help people who really need it, and Cameron isn't using it for political reasons.   That stinks in anyone's book.

Do you know that???

I said lets wait we don't know and the EU plays politics as well don't forget. You want to attack Cameron because you dislike him as I do but things are rarely black and white. Besides Cameron is very pro EU it his party that aren't.

Last edited by drinky1 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Sassy wrote:Never mind what the EU has or is doing.   In this case it has a fund that we could be using to help people who really need it, and Cameron isn't using it for political reasons.   That stinks in anyone's book.

Do you know that???

I said lets wait we don't know and the EU plays politics as well don't forget. You want to attack Cameron because you dislike him as I do but things are rarely black and white. Besides Cameron is very pro EU it his party that aren't.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Oh I'm sure those people who are flooded out will be delighted to wait - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:52 pm

I might add there are many Labour MPs who are sceptical about the EU including some heavy hitters.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:53 pm

drinky1 wrote:

Do you know that???

Indeed, and I believe that is why he couldn't bring himself to put in an application for the funds. If you have a valid reason why our government wouldn't want to apply for funds that we pay into and are badly needed by the people that are suffering then let's here them.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:53 pm

I seem to remember there was a fund he could have used for food donations to the charity giving food parcels and he refused to do that as well.   Neither of these points was brought up by the EU, the food parcel one was brought up by the charities concerned, so how it can be the EU playing politics I have no idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:55 pm

If they find out about this on the Levels and he goes down there, they'll lynch him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Since when does not applying for funds stop the relief effort????

The government were very slow to respond I agree but now troops have been mobilised things are moving apace. I understand some local authorities didn't want the military to come in that is a completely different issue.

I am merely trying to point out that slavishly backing the EU assuming the EU politicians aren't politicking because you hate Cameron isn't sensible.

I like to take a more balanced approach.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 pm

It means the relief effort could be bigger and faster and more helpful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 pm

drinky1 wrote:Since when does not applying for funds stop the relief effort????

The government were very slow to respond I agree but now troops have been mobilised things are moving apace. I understand some local authorities didn't want the military to come in that is a completely different issue.

I am merely trying to point out that slavishly backing the EU assuming the EU politicians aren't politicking because you hate Cameron isn't sensible.

I like to take a more balanced approach.

The fund is there for a reason and it's there to be applied for if needed. It's needed and he won't apply - or at least he hasn't yet.

It's a scandal and a slap in the face of the people who contribute to the fund in the first place and that includes the people who are bearing the brunt of it all.

Get real, Drinky.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:07 pm

I haven't defended not applying I've simply stated that the EU have an agenda in this I don't know the whole story and neither do you. Yes by all means use it to attack Cameron he is a limp wristed individual and a poor Prime |Minisiter but please don't argue the EU are perfect far from it.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:13 pm

drinky1 wrote:I haven't defended not applying I've simply stated that the EU have an agenda in this I don't know the whole story and neither do you. Yes by all means use it to attack Cameron he is a limp wristed individual and a poor Prime |Minisiter but please don't argue the EU are perfect far from it.

Of course the EU is not perfect but in this instance this is about Cameron and the Tories failing to take advantage of a fund that is there to help and they haven't done it.

It really is that simple.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:14 pm

There is no EU agenda. There is a fund that David Cameron won't use. That's disgusting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Irn Bru wrote:(Reuters) - European officials are puzzled over why Britain has not applied for cash from an EU Solidarity Fund to help cope with catastrophic flooding in southwestern England.

Even Germany, the EU's wealthiest member state, tapped the then newly created fund for tens of millions of euros after it suffered a flooding disaster in 2002, along with several other central European countries.

But so far, Brussels hasn't received any application from London, where the idea of going cap-in-hand to Europe at a time of tension over Britain's future in the bloc is bound to make any such request politically sensitive.

Prime Minister David Cameron declared on Tuesday that money would be no object to fighting the floods that have cut off southwestern villages for weeks and forced thousands of people from their homes in Berkshire, west of London.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/12/us-eu-britain-floods-idUSBREA1B1KX20140212

At the the time that the right wing of his party are demonising the EU he really couldn't be seen to be going to the EU for funds that we're rightly entitled to ask for, could he?

Pity that the constituents that are suffering from these floods are not that high up on his list of priorities that he couldn't take the risk.

Get him out

crazy we are the first to give aid to any disaster struck country yet we are not taking much needed help. makes you wonder why..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:05 pm

We don't wonder, we know. A political decision by Cameron.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:06 pm

to what ends, why not take the money he is under pressure to get things done, the money would help his position.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:08 pm

As Les said, so the public don't realise the EU can help. Simples.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:17 pm

what would be the point of making his govt. even more unpopular to keep the people ignorant of the fact that the eu can help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:19 pm

Work it out for yourself, it's very obvious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:20 pm

thats the "game " called politics....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 pm

i must have missed the obvious... :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:25 pm

Along with everything else you miss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:27 pm

is that your way of saying you don't really know either... :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:34 pm

Now, that's my way of saying you missed out on being a decent human being as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:35 pm

don't worry if you cannot answer it is no shame on you.. :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:36 pm

I've already given you the answer. Keeping on posting stupid posts won't change that, it will just make you look the fool that you are.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:40 pm

if it is so the public don't know the eu can help it is a pretty poor secret as it was found out and put on this forum so I would assume quite a few people know that..
while under extreme pressure to act on behalf of the flood victims there must be a good reason to commit political suicide.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:12 am

Phoenix wrote:I haven't defended not applying I've simply stated that the EU have an agenda in this I don't know the whole story and neither do you. Yes by all means use it to attack Cameron he is a limp wristed individual and a poor Prime |Minisiter but please don't argue the EU are perfect far from it.

Why is he a 'limp wristed' individual, and can you define what you mean by that, you stupid RW troll C**N!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:13 am

heavenly father wrote:if it is so the public don't know the eu can help it is a pretty poor secret as it was found out and put on this forum so I would assume quite a few people know that..
while under extreme pressure to act on behalf of the flood victims there must be a good reason to commit political suicide.

Well that's the dilemma that Cameron faced isn't it? Apply for the money whilst at the same time as the right wing of his party are demanding that we get out of the EU. They cause him enough trouble as it is so he takes the wrong option hoping it would go by without anyone noticing.

Shame about the people suffering all the misery based on what can only be seen as a political decision that was not in the interests of the taxpayers or those that are suffering.

Do you have any explanation which would contradict that?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:14 am

FFS!

Get these fucking RW multi ID trolls off!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:24 am

FFS get this idiot above off....its about time you stopped looking for problems when none exist, stopped looking for homophobia where none exists. You are the epitome of "newspeak"..controll how people can express themselves and thus how they think...you would stifle every dissent to your hideaous agenda,

NOW ...tell me...where is the homophobia in "limp wristed"?

limp-wrist·ed [limp-ris-tid] Show IPA
adjective Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
effeminate.
soft; flabby; ineffectual.

from..... http://dictionary.reference.com/

THERE is the definition you asked for...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:12 am

Irn Bru wrote:
heavenly father wrote:if it is so the public don't know the eu can help it is a pretty poor secret as it was found out and put on this forum so I would assume quite a few people know that..

Well that's the dilemma that Cameron faced isn't it? Apply for the money whilst at the same time as the right wing of his party are demanding that we get out of the EU. They cause him enough trouble as it is so he takes the wrong option hoping it would go by without anyone noticing.

Shame about the people suffering all the misery based on what can only be seen as a political decision that was not in the interests of the taxpayers or those that are suffering.

Do you have any explanation which would contradict that?

Basically no governement cares about us we are nothing to then apart form slaves paying for their high life .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:18 pm

The Government's handling of the current flood crisis will be the nail in the coffin come the next election.  People are angry and rightly so EU wonders why Britain hasn't tapped fund for flood relief Angry11

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Catman wrote:FFS!

Get these fucking RW multi ID trolls off!

That is the fourth time you have unloaded with unwarranted and completely offensive invective. I will not withstand a fourth. Victor has kindly provided a clear definition of the term so I needn't labour the point.

Cameron's inability to manage affairs is becoming he stuff of legend his party better dump him fast he is a liability.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down