NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Britain is too rich for its own charities to help out flood victims

Go down

Britain is too rich for its own charities to help out flood victims Empty Britain is too rich for its own charities to help out flood victims

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:34 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/459338/Disasters-Emergency-Committee-and-Oxfam-rule-out-aid-for-flood-victims-as-UK-too-rich#.UvuAtZJBaSQ.facebook

I am sure that this will be wonderful news to all the people suffering right now - to know the country they are in is so rich that it wont even hold an appeal for them.

It seems there is one genuine charity in the DEC - that is the Red Cross who are getting off their asses and doing something - doing quite a lot and who recognize the wealth of the country a person lives in does not automatically equate to their ability to withstand disaster.

Back to top Go down

Britain is too rich for its own charities to help out flood victims Empty Re: Britain is too rich for its own charities to help out flood victims

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Seems people differ over this for many reason:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/12/foreign-aid_n_4774244.html?1392230923&utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Britain is too rich for its own charities to help out flood victims Empty Re: Britain is too rich for its own charities to help out flood victims

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Yes didge I know you are determined to drag my political beliefs into every debate I start but if you read again you will see I am not talking about the governmental foreign aid budget but the umbrella of charitable groups.

This is about whether 14 charities will have a campaign for ordinary people to donate private income to by choice in order to help those in this country. That group of charities has voted 13 to 1 that because the UK is too wealthy it will not hold a campaign for its own country.

So 14 charities and only 1 is willing and prepared to help out people in this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Well, if I had to choose between people whose government have said that 'money is no object' and people whose government cannot help, I guess the choice would be easy. That being said, this is a very different kind of flooding, because it's not one that is going to go away any time soon, so clearing up and putting people back on their feet simply can't happen yet. They are going to need tempory housing and food and income and the cleaning up can only start when the water goes, whenever that might be. Then the infrastructure will have to be looked at, train routes, lord knows what else. Personally, I think we are going to be in deep doodoo.

As an aside, I think the people in the West Country are probably furious. They have been asking for help for weeks and weeks. Suddenly, when the Thames Valley floods and Berkshire and Winsor are in trouble, money becomes no object!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 pm

sphinx wrote:Yes didge I know you are determined to drag my political beliefs into every debate I start but if you read again you will see I am not talking about the governmental foreign aid budget but the umbrella of charitable groups.

This is about whether 14 charities will have a campaign for ordinary people to donate private income to by choice in order to help those in this country.  That group of charities has voted 13 to 1 that because the UK is too wealthy it will not hold a campaign for its own country.

So 14 charities and only 1 is willing and prepared to help out people in this country.

Nothing to do with political beliefs, but people having other views on what is more important or what really is an appeal. Is it people that are from a rich nation where money is already being pumped into where people will face some temporary hardship or where people are constantly living in hardship?
Your view is we pump money that is going to others more in need, when money is already being used to help this situation, which if truth be told for years little has been done to stem any flooding

So I posted this to show what is and who really is in need, if you think because this is our nation supersedes them as more needy you would be wrong, as their situation is temporary.

Hence showing another view

Last edited by PhilDidge on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Not true, as I have already posted twice, but you chose to ignore, after the 2007 floods Labour put a massive amount in but the coalition reduced the amount two years in a row by approx £100 bill each year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Sassy wrote:Not true, as I have already posted twice, but you chose to ignore, after the 2007 floods Labour put a massive amount in but the coalition reduced the amount two years in a row by approx £100 bill each year.

Oh give over with the political bull, this country has been facing more and more threats to flooding with rising sea levels and more adverse weather conditions, little has been done by anybody and again you make it political, give it a rest for once in your life, you only think one way

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:58 pm

When the country faced severe flooding in 2007, Labour established the Pitt Review to ensure that lessons were learnt. Immediate action was taken to implement its 92 recommendations. Most importantly, funding for flood protection was significantly increased, from below half a billion before the 2007 floods to £670.1million by the time of the last election. Immediately on taking office David Cameron approved a £97million cut in funding for flood protection, taking it back to £573million in 2011/12 – a 17 per cent real terms cut in one year and then cut it by approx the same amount the following year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Sassy wrote:Well, if I had to choose between people whose government have said that 'money is no object' and people whose government cannot help, I guess the choice would be easy.   That being said, this is a very different kind of flooding, because it's not one that is going to go away any time soon, so clearing up and putting people back on their feet simply can't happen yet.   They are going to need tempory housing and food and income and the cleaning up can only start when the water goes, whenever that might be.   Then the infrastructure will have to be looked at, train routes, lord knows what else.   Personally, I think we are going to be in deep doodoo.

As an aside, I think the people in the West Country are probably furious.   They have been asking for help for weeks and weeks.   Suddenly, when the Thames Valley floods and Berkshire and Winsor are in trouble, money becomes no object!!!!!!!

No the people of the West Country have been asking for help for years and years and have been telling the authorities what would happen and how to prevent it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Sassy wrote:When the country faced severe flooding in 2007, Labour established the Pitt Review to ensure that lessons were learnt. Immediate action was taken to implement its 92 recommendations. Most importantly, funding for flood protection was significantly increased, from below half a billion before the 2007 floods to £670.1million by the time of the last election. Immediately on taking office David Cameron approved a £97million cut in funding for flood protection, taking it back to £573million in 2011/12 – a 17 per cent real terms cut in one year and then cut it by approx the same amount the following year.

One track mind, more political bullshit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:03 pm

You guys carry on in your little world where money is being pumped into the people in need.

Meanwhile the people on the somerset levels will continue fighting over sandbags because there is not enough while trying to decide whether they are better off staying in their flooded homes so they wont be looted (with no doubt the insurance companies refusing to pay out for looting damage because it was bought about by the home owner leaving their property unsecured) risking living with raw sewage or leaving their home and risking their priceless memories being destroyed by looting.

Those people laugh at "unlimited money" because they know it is about as real as the tooth fairy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 pm

sphinx wrote:
Sassy wrote:Well, if I had to choose between people whose government have said that 'money is no object' and people whose government cannot help, I guess the choice would be easy.   That being said, this is a very different kind of flooding, because it's not one that is going to go away any time soon, so clearing up and putting people back on their feet simply can't happen yet.   They are going to need tempory housing and food and income and the cleaning up can only start when the water goes, whenever that might be.   Then the infrastructure will have to be looked at, train routes, lord knows what else.   Personally, I think we are going to be in deep doodoo.

As an aside, I think the people in the West Country are probably furious.   They have been asking for help for weeks and weeks.   Suddenly, when the Thames Valley floods and Berkshire and Winsor are in trouble, money becomes no object!!!!!!!

No the people of the West Country have been asking for help for years and years and have been telling the authorities what would happen and how to prevent it.

Exactly, I know Sphinx, but all of a sudden when it's the Conservative heartland, it's a different kettle of fish. Stinks like fish too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:12 pm

sphinx wrote:You guys carry on in your little world where money is being pumped into the people in need.

Meanwhile the people on the somerset levels will continue fighting over sandbags because there is not enough while trying to decide whether they are better off staying in their flooded homes so they wont be looted (with no doubt the insurance companies refusing to pay out for looting damage because it was bought about by the home owner leaving their property unsecured) risking living with raw sewage or leaving their home and risking their priceless memories being destroyed by looting.

Those people laugh at "unlimited money" because they know it is about as real as the tooth fairy.

Well my point is on your article in regards to charities and it is my view this is temporary for many who live in a well off country where as many of the charities for foreign aid go a long way to helping not only people impoverished but countless other pressing issues they face.
That is my view point, not what should have been and could have been done or how insurance companies are taking the piss, so lets not side track your main issue from the start, who is more in need of aid?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:40 pm

sphinx wrote:You guys carry on in your little world where money is being pumped into the people in need.

Oh but it is now in the Thames Valley, they have police stops to stop looting, and the army and navy and fire services.  They have been promised money per household to help them, and businesses have been promised money, and they don't have to pay their business tax.    The people on the levels have gone through hell, with no help and are still getting hardly any.   Makes me bloody sick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:29 pm

If it were muslims down there up to their necks in water...

holy sh1t!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Yes, read it and weep, fellow posters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down