NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New book explores what gives atheists' lives meaning (awesome quotes)

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New book explores what gives atheists' lives meaning (awesome quotes) - Page 2 Empty New book explores what gives atheists' lives meaning (awesome quotes)

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Recently an “educational” pamphlet designed for Christian children made its way around Facebook. It warned God’s little lambs to avoid sour unhappy people called “atheists.” A private school curriculum called Accelerated Christian Education includes cartoons in which the atheist characters are rude, mean and drunk; and bad things happen to them.

Stereotypes like these get echoed sometimes even in Christian books and lectures that are targeted at adults. I once attended a successful megachurch on the Sunday before Easter. The pastor wanted his audience to be clear that the resurrection of Jesus wasn’t merely some spiritual metaphor. “If the resurrection didn’t literally happen,” he shouted, “there is no reason for us to be here! If the resurrection didn’t literally happen—there are parties to be had! There are women to be had! There are guns to shoot! There are people to shoot!”

You caught the subtext? Atheists (and even liberal Christians) have no basis for morality. Nothing—and I mean nothing!—stands between a godless person and debauchery or lechery or even violence.

Population demographics suggest otherwise, of course. Atheism is far more common among elite scientists and some of the most peaceful and equitable societies on earth are also the least religious. But believers persist in fearing that godless people are amoral, that unfettered by religion the world would descend into the anarchy and bloodbath depicted in the Left Behind movies.

In reality, when asked about their moral values or what motivates them in life, atheists use words that sound downright spiritual, very much like the words religious people use in fact, with a few noteworthy differences. To create his book, A better Life, Photographer Chris Johnson asked 100 atheists about what gives their lives joy and meaning.

Some of the quotes:

“For me the meaning of life, or the meaning in life, is helping people and loving people . . . The real joy for me is when someone comes up to me and they want to just sit down and share their struggle.” –Teresa MacBain, former minister

“Raising curious, compassionate, strong, and loving children—teaching them to love others and helping them to see the beauty of humanity—that is the most meaningful and joyful responsibility we have.” – Joel Legawiec, pediatric nurse

“I find my joy in justice and equality: in all creatures having opportunities for enjoyment and being treated with fairness, as we all wish and deserve to be treated. . . . While I enjoy the positive feelings of self-improvement, this fire pales compared to the feeling of joy that comes from having contributed something to the greater good.” – Lynnea Glasser, game developer

“You’re like this little blip of light that lasts for a very brief time and you can shine as brightly as you choose.” – Sean Faircloth, author, lawyer, lobbyist

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/11/20_amazing_quotes_from_atheists_that_prove_religion_isnt_necessary_for_a_meaningful_life_partner/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

New book explores what gives atheists' lives meaning (awesome quotes) - Page 2 Empty Re: New book explores what gives atheists' lives meaning (awesome quotes)

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:18 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

So you don't think Christianity has anything to do with the moral compass of the UK in general then?

it has everything to do with a moral code but only if you believe the bible and live as a Christian, if you pay it lips service, go to church, hatch, match and dispatch i doubt it would effect much..
your country cannot chose for you to be a Christian only each individual can.

I'm talking specifically about a nations moral code in general. Smelly asserted earlier that in spite of atheists not believing in God or religion we still held the values that come from a Christian moral compass due to our cultural history as a Christian country (hope I haven't lost you at this point, 3 sentences and all..) ; if that is the case how does that explain Venezuela???

But since you seem to disagree with smelly's assertion I don't think we need continue with this  Smile 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

New book explores what gives atheists' lives meaning (awesome quotes) - Page 2 Empty Re: New book explores what gives atheists' lives meaning (awesome quotes)

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

thailand, with child prostitution, great moral compass, hmm japan ask some ex soldiers about their moral compass, vietnam hmm kids working to death, chinese oh yeah very big on freedom of rights...

Every country has bad things that go on- how about Catholic Venezuela or Christian South Africa- highest genocide and rape crime rates on Earth respectively- only a retard would assume therefore the Christian moral compasses of those countries is the problem.

I lived in Thailand, and have a number of Chinese friends as well as having traveled in China, I know exactly how good the majority of people I met there are. You really need to actually get out in to the real world before passing utterly ignorant comments.

South Africa's crime is down to the blacks no longer being contained which you think is a good thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

it has everything to do with a moral code but only if you believe the bible and live as a Christian, if you pay it lips service, go to church, hatch, match and dispatch i doubt it would effect much..
your country cannot chose for you to be a Christian only each individual can.

I'm talking specifically about a nations moral code in general. Smelly asserted earlier that in spite of atheists not believing in God or religion we still held the values that come from a Christian moral compass due to our cultural history as a Christian country (hope I haven't lost you at this point, 3 sentences and all..) ; if that is the case how does that explain Venezuela???

But since you seem to disagree with smelly's assertion I don't think we need continue with this  Smile 

What country were you born and raised in??

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm

I'll let the blacks post stand; since that says a lot about you really. Regardless of skin colour however they are mostly Christian.

I was born and raised in Britain, England to be specific  Smile 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Eilzel wrote:I'll let the blacks post stand; since that says a lot about you really. Regardless of skin colour however they are mostly Christian.

You will let it stand because you cannot deny the fact that the crime rate sky rocketed after apartheid was abolished

And what is the religious heritage that English culture is based upon??

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Eilzel wrote:I'll let the blacks post stand; since that says a lot about you really. Regardless of skin colour however they are mostly Christian.

You will let it stand because you cannot deny the fact that the crime rate sky rocketed after apartheid was abolished

And what is the religious heritage that English culture is based upon??

The religious heritage of England is Christian. That doesn't mean Christianity is anymore the bedrock of our national morality today; if it ia you must concede the same is the case in the homicide capital of the world, Venezuela- an example you seem to have missed.

Britain, Venezuela, Greece, Mexico and the USA- just 5 countries where Christianity WAS the authority of morality- in some of those Christianity remains strong, though I wouldn't say Venezuela or Mexico are the better for it.

I also gave you a list of countries where people (not governments before you fire that lame retort back, dictatorial governments not even loved by the people are not measures of national morality) are very moral without a Christian heritage which you ignored (to refresh Japan, Thailand and Vietnam were among them- DO NOT take the short cut of a few crimes there or I'll fire Venezuela and other right back at you).

Do unto others is the basis of human morality- Confucius got there before the Bible but even he was simply stating what was already the case.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:06 am

So you were born and raised in a Christian country with Christian values with a Christian culture

That's all I wanted to know

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:00 am

Yep, just like Hitler, Pope Francis, Oliver Cronwell, Diana Spencer and a homicidal Venezuelan- it means nothing Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 am

Eilzel wrote:Yep, just like Hitler, Pope Francis, Oliver Cronwell, Diana Spencer and a homicidal Venezuelan- it means nothing Smile

Ok

It means nothing

:D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2