NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets

+6
Raggamuffin
Tommy Monk
Ben Reilly
eddie
Original Quill
veya_victaous
10 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets - Page 4 Empty New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:58 am

First topic message reminder :

The New York Times on Thursday was standing by its latest editorial board hire — despite revelations that she has made some racists tweets aimed at white people.

Tech writer Sarah Jeong has drawn fire in social media for a series of tweets she made several years ago that bashed “dumbass f–king white people,” whom she derides in another tweet as “groveling goblins.”

The Times does not condone the remarks, it said.

Jeong said she was imitating the language of her online harassers and intended it as “satire” — but now “deeply regrets that I imitated the language of my harassers.”

Jeong, a South Korean native, tweeted in November 2014: “Dumbass f–king white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants.”

In another tweet she asks, “Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins.”

In a third tweet, Jeong wrote: “Oh man, it’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men.”

Some took to Twitter to wonder if the Times ever bothered to check her social media background before hiring her.

The Times on Thursday insisted it was aware of the remarks and is standing by her and insisted her comments were reactions to vicious online bashing attacking her background.

“We hired Sarah Jeong because of the exceptional work she has done covering the internet and technology at a range of respected publications,” the Times said in a statement.

“Her journalism and the fact that she is a young Asian woman have made her a subject of frequent online harassment,” the newspaper added. “For a period of time she responded to that harassment by imitating the rhetoric of her harassers. She sees now that this approach only served to feed the vitriol that we too often see on social media. She regrets it, and The Times does not condone it.”

The newspaper said it had “candid conversations” with Jeong during the hiring process — and went over her social media history.

“She understands that this type of rhetoric is not acceptable at The Times and we are confident that she will be an important voice for the editorial board moving forward,” the newspaper said.

Jeong said, “I engaged in what I thought of at the time of counter-trolling. While it was intended as satire, I deeply regret that I mimicked the language of my harassers. These comments were not aimed at a general audience, because general audiences do not engage in harassment campaigns. I can understand how hurtful these posts are out of context, and would not do it again.”

https://nypost.com/2018/08/02/new-york-times-stands-by-editorial-board-hire-despite-racist-tweets/

Back to top Go down

New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets - Page 4 Empty Re: New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:46 am

king

Britain won't pay reparations...

With Australia and NZ alone,  Britain owes us $$Billions$$..

And they owe even more in southern Africa and north America, let alone India or S.E. Asia.

And then there's the small matter of Britain's own 130, 000 "stolen" children..  Where simply paying out the current survivors alone could easily bankrupt the "establishment" over there..

Is it really any wonder, then, that gov't enquiries into these matters have always floundered and stalled over the years ???

New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets - Page 4 1399249160
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets - Page 4 Empty Re: New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:49 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:

And they owe even more in southern Africa and north America, let alone India or S.E. Asia.

And then there's the small matter of Britain's own 130, 000 "stolen" children..  Where simply paying out the current survivors alone could easily bankrupt the "establishment" over there..

Is it really any wonder, then, that gov't enquiries into these matters have always floundered and stalled over the years ???

So you are saying British people who have nothing to do with past crimes commtted by Australian ancestors. Should pay those descendents money for no crime they have suffered?

How do you figure that out?

The people involved are all long dead

Which means you want to give money to people who have not suffered

If of course there is people alive today that have suffered. Then they should be compensated.  Only were people have legal status on lands and denied them, they should be compensated or given the land back, but Compensating also the present owners.

Last edited by Didge on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:08 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:54 am

So what Wolf is saying, is that I should be compensated millions.

Being as I am Irish/Maltese/Sicillian. The irish have been persecuted and murdered by the English/Scottish etc for centuries. Malta has been occupied by the Arabs, French and British.

So why are you not championing money for me Wolf?

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:11 am

While we're at it, can we get compensation from the Romans, Danes, French and anyone else who invaded us?
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: king

New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets - Page 4 1399249160

Why do we owe you lot anything? Are you incapable of standing on your own two feet or are you just freeloaders? If you stole children, that's for you to address.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:09 am

magica wrote:While we're at it, can we get compensation from the Romans, Danes, French and anyone else who invaded us?

the Welsh should be able to since they descend from the Celt that were there pre-Rome
But Anglos are themselves invaders of Britain  New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets - Page 4 1858517897 

I don't think reparation need to be paid to Australia (or NZ) but we(modern Aussies) need to pay reparation to our own Indigenous.
Britain should pay reparation countries like Jamaica, which were pillaged until resource less and then left with huge artificially created (and unfair) debts to the UK (this is mid to late 1900's so not even colonial era 'crimes')
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 am

Why can't people just get on with it without bleating about "reparations"? This "compensation culture" is getting out of hand.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:30 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Why can't people just get on with it without bleating about "reparations"? This "compensation culture" is getting out of hand.

"You do not wipe away the scars of centuries by saying: 'now, you are free to go where you want, do as you desire, and choose the leaders you please.' You do not take a man who for years has been hobbled by chains, liberate him, bring him to the starting line of a race, saying, "you are free to compete with all the others," and still justly believe you have been completely fair."

- President Lyndon B. Johnson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Why can't people just get on with it without bleating about "reparations"? This "compensation culture" is getting out of hand.

"You do not wipe away the scars of centuries by saying: 'now, you are free to go where you want, do as you desire, and choose the leaders you please.' You do not take a man who for years has been hobbled by chains, liberate him, bring him to the starting line of a race, saying, "you are free to compete with all the others," and still justly believe you have been completely fair."

I don't care what he said, people are free to do what they want, within the law. Most of the people complaining weren't actually treated badly anyway, they're just complaining about how their ancestors were treated.

Anyway, "reparation" generally means they want money for nothing.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:17 pm

“cause my Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandad,
Made someone's Great, Great, Great, Great Grandaddies slaves.
It wasn't my idea, it wasn't my idea, never was my idea.”

- Ben Folds.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Didge wrote:I have always stated that Britain abolished slavery. That slavery continued by some criminals

The British didn't abolish slavery. They merely moved it out of their own back yard, in order to disassociate from the smell of it. The fact that they were aware it was so evil, speaks volumes about Brit moral character.

The British invented the African slave market. And they continued to trade in slaves long after the industry was removed for polite reasons. The fact that the British supported the south in the American Civil War of the 1860's, shows where their heart was at well into the 20th-century.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Didge wrote:So you are saying British people who have nothing to do with past crimes commtted by ... ancestors. Should pay those descendents money for no crime they have suffered?

Didn't the ancestors of the slaves put money in the pockets of those British people?  Your bank want's you to pay back the mortgage ... do you think that's unfair?  Even tho your grandaddy, who bought the place, is long gone?  The bank still gets its money.

Just be thankful that the descendants of slaves aren't asking for interest on the money your ancestors pocketed at their expense.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:So you are saying British people who have nothing to do with past crimes commtted by ... ancestors. Should pay those descendents money for no crime they have suffered?

Didn't the ancestors of the slaves put money in the pockets of those British people?  Your bank want's you to pay back the mortgage ... do you think that's unfair?  Even tho your grandaddy, who bought the place, is long gone?  The bank still gets its money.

Just be thankful that the descendants of slaves aren't asking for interest on the money your ancestors pocketed at their expense.

The ancestors of slaves haven't put money in anyone's pocket. They wouldn't be entitled to interest anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Original Quill wrote:

So what you are saying is the ancestors of those who enabled these people to be slaves, should compensate descendents of these slaves?

Correct?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:40 pm

My north country Brigante ancestors were enslaved and abused by Roman soldiers. On their behalf I now claim reparations from the Italian government.....
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:My north country Brigante ancestors were enslaved and abused by Roman soldiers. On their behalf I now claim reparations from the Italian government.....

Dont forget Denmark, Norway and Germany also, with the Vikings and Anglo Saxons.

You should be owed a fortune Fred

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

So what you are saying is the ancestors of those who enabled these people to be slaves, should compensate descendents of these slaves?

Correct?

Sum'n like that.  Recoupment is cardinal in a market-based society.  As long as inheritance rules prevail, the obligation should be passed along.

As I say, the present-day obligors should be thankful that no one is insisting on interest.  Their obligation is far less onerous as reparations or equal opportunity measures.

Nothing is more important in our white, capitalist society than payback.  To deny economic equity to people of color, is yet another and further insult.

Last edited by Original Quill on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

Correct?

Sum'n like that.  Recoupment is cardinal in a market-based society.  As long as inheritance rules prevail, the obligation should be passed along.

As I say, the present-day obligors should be thankful that no one is insisting on interest.  Their obligation is far less onerous as reparations or equal opportunity norms.

Nothing is more important in our white, capitalist society than payback.  To deny economic equity to people of color, is yet another and further insult.

Which inheritance rules are you referring to?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

As I say, the present-day obligors should be thankful that no one is insisting on interest.  Their obligation is far less onerous as reparations or equal opportunity norms.

Which inheritance rules are you referring to?

Trump's for example.  Or, closer to home, AG Sessions.  Really...the entire British world.  The white portion of the famous Empire was the recipient of the largess.  Now the bank is calling in its money.

Last edited by Original Quill on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

Correct?

So why are you not looking to get compensation from those who actually captured many Africans and enslaved them?

Africans themselves.

The reality is you wont demand this and why such a view is utterly ridiculous

If its based on title deeds to land, then people should be compensated, if they have lost their land, which is legally theirs. But then you could argue they only got such deeds from their people conquering in the first place. Like the Arabs for example. They colonised the entire Middle East and North Africa.

People today are not responsible for the crimes of the past. The people in the past are responsible. I mean Wolf and Veya go off how Australia was ruled by the British, but it was mainly the ancestors of Australisn living today, that committed countless crimes against the indegeneous there. They then claim Australians should be compensated for what their ancestors did wrong.

Its rewarding descendents of criminals. That is fucked up

The world has benefited from the past, with economices and wealth, education, progression etc. To say people today, who have not been wronged in any shape of form, by people living in the UK today. That these people should be compensated, when these people themselves live also in a country that has benefited, is daft to say the least. You basically want to give them money for free. They have not been enslaved and live in a democratic society. Hence if you play that card, just about everyone can claim a grievance based on the past. Hence the stupidity of such an arguemnt and why people have taken the piss here on how even in the Uk, people can lay claim to compensation to crimes caused by foreign invaders in the past

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

Correct?

So why are you not looking to get compensation from those who actually captured many Africans and enslaved them?

Africans themselves.

Can I answer this?
Because he wants to go on about WHITE people and how awful they are. So he may make a little horrid remark about WHITE Africans but he simply will not blame any BLACK Africans.

See?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Africans themselves.

Because they are not the ones who reaped the profits. Really, given the compensation they were given, they were simply menial workers for the British entrepreneurs.

When the bank calls in a corporate loan, it doesn't look to the employees. Indeed, they are obligees, as well. The one's who reaped the benefits of the enterprise are the ones obligated to pay the basic obligations.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 pm

eddie wrote:Because he wants to go on about WHITE people and how awful they are.

I didn't define the game. We are talking about the ancestors of the Brits who started the Black/White thing. THEY set black folks aside and called them property, I didn't. I just do the numbers.

Imagine I'm just a bank teller. Years ago some white folks took out a loan to disadvantage some black folk. That loan is now being called.

Me? I'm just the guy with the green visor and the sharp pencil. The bank holds YOU responsible.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Because he wants to go on about WHITE people and how awful they are.

I didn't define the game.  We are talking about the ancestors of the Brits who started the Black/White thing.  THEY set black folks aside and called them property, I didn't.  I just do the numbers.

Imagine I'm just a bank teller.  Years ago some white folks took out a loan to disadvantage some black folk.  That loan is now being called.

Me?  I'm just the guy with the green visor and the sharp pencil.  The bank holds YOU responsible.

Well no, the bank doesn't hold eddie responsible.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:33 pm

What Quill is saying is that white people have no business being white, and they should pay for it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

Africans themselves.

Because they are not the ones who reaped the profits.  Really, given the compensation they were given, they were simply menial workers for the British entrepreneurs.

When the bank calls in a corporate loan, it doesn't look to the employees.  Indeed, they are obligees, as well.  The one's who reaped the benefits of the enterprise are the ones obligated to pay the basic obligations.

Well Black people in the US, the UK and Europe ect are certainly reaping the very same gains

They are born or either come to this country, just as my parents did. They reaped the benifits of a great education, free health ect. Do you think my family being part Irish, should thus be compensated for no wrongs committed to us? Other than at the time of the IRA, some idiots being hateful to us?

You want to pay people money, who have not suffered any wrong, but to pay them from crimes they never suffered, that happened to their ancestors in the past. How is that teaching them anything?

Other than to think they are a perpetual victim and cannot stand on their own two feet.

Your view is one that teaches and makes people feel they are some how victims, when no slavery has happened to them, as it happened in the past

In the US, you did steal land from the indegeneous and you cannot bring people back to life or turn back time. It happened. The US rightly placed the indegeneous ancestors to have land to be legally theirs

Last edited by Didge on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I didn't define the game.  We are talking about the ancestors of the Brits who started the Black/White thing.  THEY set black folks aside and called them property, I didn't.  I just do the numbers.

Imagine I'm just a bank teller.  Years ago some white folks took out a loan to disadvantage some black folk.  That loan is now being called.

Me?  I'm just the guy with the green visor and the sharp pencil.  The bank holds YOU responsible.

Hahahaha you do make me laugh sometime, rags.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What Quill is saying is that white people have no business being white, and they should pay for it.

Ouch

The best reply yet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Hahahaha you do make me laugh sometime, rags.

You'd better get down the bank and pay them what you owe them. New York Times stands by editorial board hire despite racist tweets - Page 4 479860004
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Africans themselves.

Can I answer this?
Because he wants to go on about WHITE people and how awful they are. So he may make a little horrid remark about WHITE Africans but he simply will not blame any BLACK Africans.  

See?

Yes, the Mau Mau were such sweet, gentle, unassuming people weren't they?

Torture, mutilation and decapitation of men, women and children. Eyes gouged out. Bodies tied in sacks and dropped in wells. The stomachs of pregnant women split open...

Yes, atrocities against native Kenyans were also committed by British troops I will readily admit...one of my close friends was serving with the army in Kenya at the same time I was having such a great time in the RAF back in Britain and told me about what he had witnessed personally.

But none of it could compare to what the Mau Mau did to their own countrymen.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What Quill is saying is that white people have no business being white, and they should pay for it.

Yes and he also enjoys white people being “punished” for being white.
He has internalised racism and needs to feel bad so that the blacks know he is a good left-wing, non-racist man. He will go out of his way to communicate that every time he comes across a black person....

And they’ll sense it and feel quite irritated - but that’s another story for another time.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Africans themselves.

Can I answer this?

See?

Absiolutely and why he is being very hypocritical

he would not call for any Western African Nation to compensate here.

Nor would he ask any Arab nation to do so. Even though hardly any Afican ancestors survive in the Middle East today

The Arab slave trade was a hundred times worse than the European slave trade.

90% died on the journeys across africa. Those that survived, had the men castrated and any African women slaves, were sold into sexual slavery. If they had any children, those children were killed. Yet he makes no view for the Arab world to compensate. I mean Arabs are caucasians. Though he will not even class them as such. He sees the world and its evils based on a small time frame of history and blames only white Europeans for this. It actually shows he has not even read any Asian or African history. The Mongols with Ghengis Khan and Timur the lame butchered more Christians, Muslims, Chinese, Arabs, Europeans. In such s small space of time, than any single other war in history. Based on the percentage of populations at the time. That means it was far worse than WW1 and WW2 on percentages of deaths per population

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Internalised racism. It’s very apparent.
It’s also pretty tunnel-visioned.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:51 pm

eddie wrote:Internalised racism. It’s very apparent.
It’s also pretty tunnel-visioned.

Bingo and its based on a view to make groups of people perpetual victims

It instills a culture of victimhood

That is not progression, but regression to people who have never suffered these horrors of slavery

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 pm

What about the African slaves of Africans...?

Who do their descendants try to get compensation from...?

And what about the poor Japanese women who were sex slaves to Africans...?

Who do their descendants claim against...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:11 am

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:I have always stated that Britain abolished slavery. That slavery continued by some criminals

The British didn't abolish slavery.  They merely moved it out of their own back yard, in order to disassociate from the smell of it.  The fact that they were aware it was so evil, speaks volumes about Brit moral character.

The British invented the African slave market.  And they continued to trade in slaves long after the industry was removed for polite reasons.  The fact that the British supported the south in the American Civil War of the 1860's, shows where their heart was at well into the 20th-century.

Just seen this and I feel I must reply.

Slavery of African people ended primarily because of the relentless political campaigning by the 18th century British MP William Wilberforce prompted by the sterling efforts of anti-slavery activists such as Hannah More, Charles Middleton and Granville Sharpe. This resulted in the passage of the Slave Trade Act in 1807.

As a result of this Britain took the lead in enforcing the actual military campaigns against the slavers and owners of slave ships, sailors of the Royal Navy serving - and dying - on the dangerous and disease-ridden West Africa Station centred on what is now the tiny republic of The Gambia.

Oh, and by the way, we Brits were not the predominent slavers. Those were the, er, Muslim Arabs.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:52 am

eddie wrote:

- Ben Folds.

But we don't pay reparation because we are white
it comes out of taxes which we ALL pay.

Ideally reparations are paid by anyone 'advantaged' by the proceeds of 'past crimes' by living and earning higher incomes in nation that benefited from it. (obviously it needs the tax system to be fair for this to be true)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:54 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

The British didn't abolish slavery.  They merely moved it out of their own back yard, in order to disassociate from the smell of it.  The fact that they were aware it was so evil, speaks volumes about Brit moral character.

The British invented the African slave market.  And they continued to trade in slaves long after the industry was removed for polite reasons.  The fact that the British supported the south in the American Civil War of the 1860's, shows where their heart was at well into the 20th-century.

Just seen this and I feel I must  reply.

Slavery of African people ended primarily because of the relentless political campaigning by the 18th century British MP William Wilberforce prompted by the sterling efforts of anti-slavery  activists such as Hannah More, Charles Middleton and Granville Sharpe. This resulted in the passage of the  Slave Trade Act in 1807.

As a result of this Britain took the lead in enforcing the actual military campaigns against the slavers and owners of slave ships, sailors of the Royal Navy serving - and dying -  on the dangerous and disease-ridden West Africa Station centred on what is now the tiny republic of The Gambia.

Oh, and by the way, we Brits were not the predominent slavers. Those were the, er, Muslim Arabs.

True.

But of course the really civilized cultures never had slavery at all silent
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:54 am

veya_victaous wrote:
eddie wrote:

- Ben Folds.

Ideally reparations are paid by anyone 'advantaged' by the proceeds of 'past crimes' by living and earning higher incomes in nation that benefited from it. (obviously it needs the tax system to be fair for this to be true)

Wierd, so reparations are paid by people who have done nothing wrong, but have been discriminated by society, because of their success in life?

I mean seriously, WTF?

Its not a fair system and its utterly wrong, as people today are not responsible for the crimes of people in the past.

You cannot right a wrong, by punishing people today for the crimes of the past. Its basically saying they are responsible

What you do is learn from those mistakes from the past and ensure it never happens again and that all people have equality within the law. What is good is ensure that land, that did belong to indegeneous, is their rightfful claim to inheretance or their people.Providing them also self determination

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:56 am

Didge wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
eddie wrote:

- Ben Folds.

Wierd, so reparations are paid by people who have done nothing wrong, but have been discriminated by society, because of their success in life?

I mean seriously, WTF?

Its not a fair system and its utterly wrong, as people today are not responsible for the crimes of people in the past.

You cannot right a wrong, by punishing people today for the crimes of the past. Its basically saying they are responsible

What you do is learn from those mistakes from the past and ensure it never happens again and that all people have equality within the law. What is good is ensure that land, that did belong to indegeneous, is their rightfful claim to inheretance or their people.Providing them also self determination

I disagree
as individuals we are not responsible but as societies we are
those the fair better in society pay more to keep society (under a progressive tax system)

why don't you want to both learn and correct the mistakes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
And now your just talking dumb shit again so conversation over
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Didge wrote:

I mean seriously, WTF?

I disagree
as individuals we are not responsible but as societies we are
those the fair better in society pay more to keep society (under a progressive tax system)

why don't you want to both learn and correct the mistakes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
And now your just talking dumb shit again so conversation over

But by doing so through society, you are making those individuals responsible

As they are then paying for this

That is not correcting a mistake, but creating a new one

The mistake happened in the past and those people are long dead

To reward people based off nothing they did, but based off their ancestors, means everyone is then entittled based off wrongs done to many nations

As seen this would then include many Brits. Only 30% of Brits have German ancestry and even then these people still share ancestry back to the orginal Brits, showing clearly people intermarried.

Your view would open the door to everybody making a claim, thus rendering the view to pay redundent.

You correct mistakes from the past by ensuring indegenous people have rights to lands and self determination

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:59 am

Didge wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

I mean seriously, WTF?

You have supported Veya's argument in the past. I see you changed your mind. I agree with you actually.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:00 am

veya_victaous wrote:
eddie wrote:

- Ben Folds.

How "fair" would the tax system have to be? People on minimum wage here pay tax, but they're hardly "advantaged" are they?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:23 am

Those that say "reparations" should be paid, should start the ball rolling by making payments from their own pockets . After all it's them that are calling for them !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 am

eddie wrote:

- Ben Folds.

Arrow

Ben Folds == clueless dickwits...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:31 am

Why ?? Just wondered .
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:13 am

nicko wrote:Those that say "reparations" should be paid, should start the ball rolling by making payments from their own pockets .  After all it's them that are calling for them !

Yes, they should. After all, they don't know where their taxes are going, so to be sure they should just give money to someone whose ancestor might have been badly treated in the past by someone who might have been white. It shouldn't matter if the person they give the money to is well off or not either.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:00 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Just seen this and I feel I must  reply.

Slavery of African people ended primarily because of the relentless political campaigning by the 18th century British MP William Wilberforce prompted by the sterling efforts of anti-slavery  activists such as Hannah More, Charles Middleton and Granville Sharpe. This resulted in the passage of the  Slave Trade Act in 1807.

As a result of this Britain took the lead in enforcing the actual military campaigns against the slavers and owners of slave ships, sailors of the Royal Navy serving - and dying -  on the dangerous and disease-ridden West Africa Station centred on what is now the tiny republic of The Gambia.

True.

But of course the really civilized cultures never had slavery at all silent

Really? the Romans? The Greeks? The Egyptians? All those Arabian states and tribes who gave us music, art, mathematics, architecture, philosophy.....?

Do you think the leaders of those societies all paid their, er, slaves above the minimum wage and granted five weeks' holiday a year?
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
nicko wrote:Those that say "reparations" should be paid, should start the ball rolling by making payments from their own pockets .  After all it's them that are calling for them !

Yes, they should. After all, they don't know where their taxes are going, so to be sure they should just give money to someone whose ancestor might have been badly treated in the past by someone who might have been white. It shouldn't matter if the person they give the money to is well off or not either.

This country and its taxpayers have a record of punching well above its weight when it comes to the provision of overseas aid. Maybe our detractors think we should be paying out even more to help the world's burgeoning economies grow even larger and more competitive as well as handing out massive amounts of dosh to compensate for the excesses of people who have been dead for the past three centuries or more.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:10 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
eddie wrote:

- Ben Folds.

Arrow

Ben Folds   ==   clueless dickwits...

You don’t know who Ben Folds is, do you? It’s a PERSON - you didn’t even know that much so how do you know if they’re “clueless”.

You clueless dickwit. Razz

Secondly, I was quoting the poster Ben himself, who’d just written those very song lyrics earlier, on this very thread.

Clear now?

Oh what’s the point. Rolling Eyes

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next