NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dog kills another child..

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

dog kills another child.. - Page 2 Empty dog kills another child..

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 am

First topic message reminder :

this is getting a little to frequent what can be done about it..

http://news.sky.com/story/1209725/dog-mauls-baby-girl-to-death-in-blackburn

Back to top Go down

dog kills another child.. - Page 2 Empty Re: dog kills another child..

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:08 pm

sphinx wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

People have been on the radio calling for more legislation. What for? We dont use the legislation we have.
Pitbulls have been banned for years and its illegal to breed them so why are there any in this country?

Mainly because the ones people think are pitbulls are now "pitbull type" - and most people cannot identify a pitbull anyway.  (http://www.pickthepit.com/ - click on the picture you think is a pitbull - I got it right with my second click)  Pitbulls are not actually an official breed and experts are happy to admit they often cannot tell an "illegal" pitbull from a legal cross without a blood test for DNA.

Any dog that has never done anything remotely aggressive (unlike the dog in the story I might add) that is seized under the breed law is likely to become the object of a massive legal fight - during which time the animal will be in kennels and so is likely to come out with aggression and behaviour problems even if it did not go in with them - with the outcome far from certain.

In the meantime you can and will have dogs whose breeds are not "suspicious"  who can make several attacks without any legal pressure for their destruction.  The dog that bit my son was a black Labrador - and when it had sent a child to hospital the week before it did the same to my son everyone assumed it was a one off and probably partially the childs fault.  I told the owners - on my way to taking my son to hospital - that if it was not destroyed by the time I returned I would be calling the police and suing them.  

Amazingly I got it first go !

I accept completely what you say about identifying the breed.

What would be a legal cross then Sphinx?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:21 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Mainly because the ones people think are pitbulls are now "pitbull type" - and most people cannot identify a pitbull anyway.  (http://www.pickthepit.com/ - click on the picture you think is a pitbull - I got it right with my second click)  Pitbulls are not actually an official breed and experts are happy to admit they often cannot tell an "illegal" pitbull from a legal cross without a blood test for DNA.

Any dog that has never done anything remotely aggressive (unlike the dog in the story I might add) that is seized under the breed law is likely to become the object of a massive legal fight - during which time the animal will be in kennels and so is likely to come out with aggression and behaviour problems even if it did not go in with them - with the outcome far from certain.

In the meantime you can and will have dogs whose breeds are not "suspicious"  who can make several attacks without any legal pressure for their destruction.  The dog that bit my son was a black Labrador - and when it had sent a child to hospital the week before it did the same to my son everyone assumed it was a one off and probably partially the childs fault.  I told the owners - on my way to taking my son to hospital - that if it was not destroyed by the time I returned I would be calling the police and suing them.  

Cross a Patterdale terrier with a staffordshire bull terrier.

As far as fighting dogs go a while back round here their was a fashion for boxer/mastiff crosses - dont know what the fashion is now but it could be anything - it will produce dogs that are legal as far as breed goes and deadly when raised the wrong way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:31 pm

sphinx wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

As far as fighting dogs go a while back round here their was a fashion for boxer/mastiff crosses - dont know what the fashion is now but it could be anything - it will produce dogs that are legal as far as breed goes and deadly when raised the wrong way.

Round here they used to say they were staffies crossed with Labradors

Now there are hundreds of huskies about

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:43 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Huskie are more a status thing than fighting - and they are not a good breed for inexperienced owners. The reason for their popularity? Puppies fetch upward of £800.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:46 pm

sphinx wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Huskie are more a status thing than fighting - and they are not a good breed for inexperienced owners.  The reason for their popularity?  Puppies fetch upward of £800.

Yup I see a couple walking their four, two bitches two dogs litter after litter and they live in a flat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:52 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Huskie are more a status thing than fighting - and they are not a good breed for inexperienced owners.  The reason for their popularity?  Puppies fetch upward of £800.

Yup I see a couple walking their four, two bitches two dogs litter after litter and they live in a flat

People see it as an easy way to make money - they dont care who or what the puppies go to so long as the cash is put in their hands. It is bad for the dogs - the bitches are bred to death, the puppies likely to suffer various health issues, it is bad for new inexperienced owners who buy from them - they are likely to get a sickly puppy who has not been properly socialized to begin with, it is bad for the breed because it gets a reputation as "bad", and it is really bad for the poor innocent person or child who gets savaged by a dog grown from a puppy bred for money and owned for status by someone who neither knows nor cares how to raise a happy healthy controlled safe dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2