NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dog kills another child..

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

dog kills another child.. Empty dog kills another child..

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 am

this is getting a little to frequent what can be done about it..

http://news.sky.com/story/1209725/dog-mauls-baby-girl-to-death-in-blackburn

Back to top Go down

dog kills another child.. Empty Re: dog kills another child..

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:36 am

they don't give enough info to give an opinion.

what sort of dog was it? are you guys getting more info?

It would be interesting to see what the relationship is with the arrested if they are not parents.....

@HF
you say it is common, any reason? we did have a spate of attacks when American Pitbulls became popular with the bogan class  Neutral  Neutral  Neutral  Neutral  is it the same thing???
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 am

veya_victaous wrote:they don't give enough info to give an opinion.

what sort of dog was it? are you guys getting more info?

It would be interesting to see what the relationship is with the arrested if they are not parents.....

@HF
you say it is common, any reason? we did have a spate of attacks when American Pitbulls became popular with the bogan class  Neutral  Neutral  Neutral  Neutral  is it the same thing???

I think its a brand new story and more details will come out..

We seem to have more and more cases of dogs killing or maiming here, often the bull terrier types seem to be the biggest culprits but I think any dog can lose it so to speak.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:04 am

@HF
the Pitbulls were specifically from fighting dog stock it became a fad amongst the bogans to have the biggest meanest dog possible  No  No  No  then the fucking idiots have half a dozen kids they hardly look after... a recipe for disaster
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:11 am

veya_victaous wrote:@HF
the Pitbulls were specifically from fighting dog stock it became a fad amongst the bogans to have the biggest meanest dog possible  No  No  No  then the fucking idiots have half a dozen kids they hardly look after... a recipe for disaster

I have to agree, to me it seems so obvious not sure how it escapes others, also people buying dogs that are intended for farms or working and keeping them in a three bedroom terraced home is the same recipe for disaster, especially when you don't know what kids do to dogs in the home they could pull them about, stand on them and eventually the dogs nips or worse and the owners wonder why.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:56 am

More crap from HF...

Its NOT getting "more and more common"

this is the usual cry of the anti anything...made up hysterics played out to the public....

next you will hear "ban all dogs"

fuckin idiots.

people have been attacked by dogs since whenever....
sad, wrong and it is an indicator of the level of intelligence of the owners...which is one point lower than HF's type.

we get a "few incidents" a year, AND HAVE DONE FOR CENTURIES.

Its out there along with all lifes "other risks",

I suggest untill you know what you are talking about HF, you quit the childish, daily mail hysterical wittering. I suggest you get a dog...and then train it properly...to the level MY dogs are...

As for "what kids do to dogs" try training the bloody kids as well....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 am

victorismyhero wrote:More crap from HF...

Its NOT getting "more and more common"

this is the usual cry of the anti anything...made up hysterics played out to the public....

next you will hear "ban all dogs"

fuckin idiots.

people have been attacked by dogs since whenever....
sad, wrong and it is an indicator of the level of intelligence of the owners...which is one point lower than HF's type.

we get a "few incidents" a year, AND HAVE DONE FOR CENTURIES.

Its out there along with all lifes "other risks",

I suggest untill you know what you are talking about HF, you quit the childish, daily mail hysterical wittering. I suggest you get a dog...and then train it properly...to the level MY dogs are...

As for "what kids do to dogs"   try training the bloody kids as well....

I take it you disagree then..

It seems more and more frequently we see dog attacks, yet you must live somewhere where they do not occur, perhaps Mars, Do you honestly think training dogs will stop this happening.
I am not for banning anything, I am all in favour of people being educated about what they are bringing in to their homes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:14 am

training Both dogs AND kids will help....
and again it ISNT more and more frequent....all it is is "more reported"

50 years ago if someone was attacked 50 miles away by a dog you would never know
now, the media is all over something that happens in john o'groats and someone in lands end hears about it..;..

I grew up with german shepherds, never a problem....I kept german shepherds for years...never a problem

we now have a small "pack " of mixed breeds...no problem, kids are always supervised when with them, and have been brought up to respect them and not "pull them around"

they have also been taught "the voice of command" and can thus control the dogs anyway..

two of the "working dogs" we have in that group are gun dogs, and both respond to the hand signals as well as voice and whistle. the third is a working terrier, who's self imposed "second job " is body guard to my grandson.

As you say, education, of owners AND children is essential.

One of the worst problems is of course that children can fail to correctly read a dogs "body language". Kids need to be taught this as soon as they can understand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:18 am

victorismyhero wrote:training Both dogs AND kids will help....

50 years ago if someone was attacked 50 miles away by a dog you would never know
now, the media is all over something that happens in john o'groats and someone in lands end hears about it..;..

I grew up with german shepherds, never a problem....I kept german shepherds for years...never a problem

we now have a small "pack " of mixed breeds...no problem, kids are always supervised when with them, and have been brought up to respect them and not "pull them around"

they have also been taught "the voice of command" and can thus control the dogs anyway..

two of the "working dogs" we have in that group are gun dogs, and both respond to the hand signals as well as voice and whistle.  the third is a working terrier, who's self imposed "second job " is body guard to my grandson.

One of the worst problems is of course that children can fail to correctly read a dogs "body language". Kids need to be taught this as soon as they can understand.

Each time it ends in tragedy.. how can we train owners or families without awareness, these cases being reported allow us to bring the need for the training of dogs and owners and so help the cause for responsible dog owners.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:18 am

Well from what I can make out reading between the lines

The dog is "mixed breed" - in other words a proper mongrel with no identifiable main breed (the DM must be crying over that as they want it to be bull terrier)

The dog previous caught and mauled a cat - which suggests it may be of lurcher type mongrel more than bull terrier type mongrel.

The parents have been arrested over suspected neglect - as the attack took place within the private home where the dog lived there is no law broken and whenever this has been the case in the past the parents have not been arrested at all. Also the child is repeatedly described as "small".

From that I suspect it is a case of the adults being at fault for the behaviour of the dog, and they were also bad parents.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 am

two of the "working dogs" we have in that group are gun dogs, and both respond to the hand signals as well as voice and whistle.  the third is a working terrier, who's self imposed "second job " is body guard to my grandson.

I have watched bunches of school children surround a dog tied at the school gates by a parent picking their child up and poke the dog with sticks. 3 guesses who would have been blamed if the dog had bitten one of the children poking it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 am

Agree Victor, children have to learn as well as the dogs being trained. In fact, it teaches the children how to treat anything with respect. But what the hell were they doing leaving a tiny baby alone with a dog?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 am

sphinx wrote:

I have watched bunches of school children surround a dog tied at the school gates by a parent picking their child up and poke the dog with sticks.  3 guesses who would have been blamed if the dog had bitten one of the children poking it?

Yep! Had a beautiful German Shepherd, fantastic dog with a wonderful temperament with my children, but next door's kids stood on the roof of their shed and threw stones at her, then wondered why when she saw them when I was walking her, she growled. The neighbor complained, so I showed her pics I had taken of her kids sitting on the shed roof about to throw stones before I shouted at them. I said next time I'd take a fence panel off, see if they were so brave then!

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain May Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:35 pm

We are a nation of dog lovers. When we had some deaths due to gun related incidents we banned guns for everyone. We allow people to own killing machine Pit Bulls and the like but because we are animal lovers not a peep.

Strange how we can react so differently. Just a thought

Captain May
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:57 pm

dogs should not be around babies or young children in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Sassy wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I have watched bunches of school children surround a dog tied at the school gates by a parent picking their child up and poke the dog with sticks.  3 guesses who would have been blamed if the dog had bitten one of the children poking it?

Yep!   Had a beautiful German Shepherd, fantastic dog with a wonderful temperament with my children, but next door's kids stood on the roof of their shed and threw stones at her, then wondered why when she saw them when I was walking her, she growled.   The neighbor complained, so I showed her pics I had taken of her kids sitting on the shed roof about to throw stones before I shouted at them.   I said next time I'd take a fence panel off, see if they were so brave then!

Dogs are the most loyal creatures and its the way humans 'handle' them. Its not their fault. Poor animals.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Apparently the parents have been arrested for manslaughter - there is something a lot more than a dog attack going on here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:06 pm

I don't think its the way dogs are trained I think all dogs are natural hunters and can turn without warning .
Even cats shouldn't be left alone with babies and children .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:07 pm

sphinx wrote:Apparently the parents have been arrested for manslaughter - there is something a lot more than a dog attack going on here.

perhaps the parents had too much to drink and didn't take responsibility over their dogs and baby .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:I don't think its the way dogs are trained I think all dogs are natural hunters and can turn without warning .
Go and spend some time with a proper responsible dog trainer and see it for yourself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:16 pm

sphinx wrote:
Maine coon lover wrote:I don't think its the way dogs are trained I think all dogs are natural hunters and can turn without warning .
 Go and spend some time with a proper responsible dog trainer and see it for yourself.  

I don't like dogs I wont go near them , I have experienced dogs turning for no reason this is why I don't trust them, I appreciate people love dogs just as I love cats , but dogs are hunters and will kill if necessary .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I don't like dogs I wont go near them , I have experienced dogs turning for no reason this is why I don't trust them, I appreciate people love dogs just as I love cats , but dogs are hunters and will kill if necessary .

I have to say that dogs turn for a reason - even if humans dont realize the reason. Unfortunately human fear response can be similar to dog threat response which means a dog may attack a person who fears them because they believe that the person is threatening them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain May Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:30 pm

sphinx wrote:
Maine coon lover wrote:

I have to say that dogs turn for a reason - even if humans dont realize the reason.  Unfortunately human fear response can be similar to dog threat response which means a dog may attack a person who fears them because they believe that the person is threatening them.

Still my point is they are more dangerous than a loaded weapon. We don't control dog ownership anything like we should.
It will happen regularly each year because we care about animals as a nation more than we do human beings.

Nothing even approaching the reaction to gun crime will result no matter how many are killed that was my point.

Captain May
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Seamen Staines wrote:
sphinx wrote:

I have to say that dogs turn for a reason - even if humans dont realize the reason.  Unfortunately human fear response can be similar to dog threat response which means a dog may attack a person who fears them because they believe that the person is threatening them.

Still my point is they are more dangerous than a loaded weapon. We don't control dog ownership anything like we should.
It will happen regularly each year because we care about animals as a nation more than we do human beings.

Nothing even approaching the reaction to gun crime will result no matter how many are killed that was my point.

No it will happen because we dont care about animals but like to think we do.

If we actually cared about animals we would have licensing for dog owners requiring them to show and understanding and knowledge of them which would mean all would be raised and trained and therefore not dangerous.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:39 pm

"No it will happen because we dont care about animals but like to think we do."
Plus the fact people are filling their dogs with additives that will change the brain pattern. Believe me I have seen the after effects of dogs fed on crap food and it is not pretty.
If owners truly cared they would look into everything in the food they give their dogs. Add to the mix (sorry) some dog owners don't train their pet and let them run riot, i.e they constantly tease the dog or aggravate it then wonder why it turns.
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain May Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Dog owners do not stop at letting their dogs maul others. They allow their dogs to foul public places used by children that can cause severe hurt to children. They let dogs foul public pitches used to play rugby there is nothing more appealing than diving into a pile of dog sh-t I can assure you.

Oh yes I can't tell you how much I love dog owners who don't give a toss. Is there a society for the Protection of Ignorant Dog Owners who Can't give a F--k , I would love to meet their members.

Captain May
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:44 pm

sphinx wrote:
Maine coon lover wrote:

yes they do turn for a reason, I cast my mind back to the little girl who mauled by that dog recently , the dog was from a shelter, who knows what had happened to that dog in the previous home , I don't think it is the dogs fault why they attack they are dogs , I also don't like seeing them put to sleep I think it is cruel but I guess it makes the victims feel better that justice has been served, but to be honest I feel that dogs are not responsible for their behaviour . I do also believe that some breeds are naturally vicious just my opinion .

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:48 pm

get a cat,they bury their dump, [in other peoples gardens]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Seamen Staines wrote:(SOME)Dog owners do not stop at letting their dogs maul others. TheySOME allow their dogs to foul public places used by children that can cause severe hurt to children. They (SOME) let dogs foul public pitches used to play rugby there is nothing more appealing than diving into a pile of dog sh-t I can assure you.

Oh yes I can't tell you how much I love dog owners who don't give a toss. Is there a society for the Protection of Ignorant Dog Owners who Can't give a F--k , I would love to meet their members.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:
sphinx wrote:

yes they do turn for a reason, I cast my mind back to the little girl who mauled by that dog recently , the dog was from a shelter, who knows what had happened to that dog in the previous home , I don't think it is the dogs fault why they attack they are dogs , I also don't like seeing them put to sleep I think it is cruel but I guess it makes the victims feel better that justice has been served, but to be honest I feel that dogs are not responsible for their behaviour . I do also believe that some breeds are naturally vicious just my opinion .

The vast majority of dog attacks are down to bad or very bad decisions by owners - the rescue dog being a prime example. No experienced responsible owner would ever consider taking that dog in those circumstances - and would never have left it with the little girl.
Sometimes putting them down is actually the kindest thing to do. Generally the attacks are driven by fear, or dominance issues, and in both of those cases you can bet the animal is unhappy. There are a very small number of skilled trainers who can take such animals and rehabilitate them but demand is far more than they can meet and it is kinder for the animals to be put down than to continue suffering especially as they are still a risk.
The breed thing is nonsense - its like saying black people are naturally more violent/criminal than whites. A breed gets a reputation for being "hard" and then people who want hard dogs buy them and go out of their way to make them hard and you end up with vicious animals. One of the classic mistakes new owners make with so called "guard" breeds is they see a puppy that is not remotely into guarding so they teach it to guard - the guarding trait/instinct doesnt kick in naturally till 9 to 12 months of age - and in a puppy that has been taught to guard you end up with an adult that is over protective. I did once briefly take an adult male GSD (german shepherd dog/alsation) like this to avoid him going to a dogs home which would have destroyed him. My sons and friends were messing about in the front door and one of my sons fell over and make a fuss - the dog immediately leapt to stand over him growling and snapping. He did not bite anyone (dogs do not "miss" with their teeth - they are far more aware of them than we are of our own and are millimetre perfect in control - if someone feels the wind of the teeth closing that is what the dog intended) but naturally scared the kids. From his point of view my son was down and vulnerable and needed protecting which he did but obviously was far too trigger happy to live around boisterous children who regularly rough housed. I found him another home with an older couple near retirement who had no children or close family who were experienced with big breeds and he lived out his life as a happy loyal perfect pet and never gave a second of trouble - then again nobody ever attacked them.
Different breeds have different traits - prospective owners should make sure they are familiar with them, and individuals all have their own quirks which owners should learn about as well. It is important to try and think like a dog - for instance things like perfumes, outside clothing, or carrying a child appear very different to dogs, so if an animal suddenly startles or seems aggressive it is worth stopping and looking around - it can be something as ordinary as a person putting a hat or glasses on, or carrying a child on their shoulders (crouch down to dogs eye level and it looks like a 2 headed monster).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:15 pm

nicko wrote:get a cat,they  bury their dump, [in other peoples gardens]

A cat has caused me to need a hospital visit - a dog never has.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Shouldn't the title of this thread read "Irresponsible Dog Owner kills another Child"  Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:20 pm

feelthelove wrote:Shouldn't the title of this thread read "Irresponsible Dog Owner kills another Child"  Sad 

No because its the dog that has killed the baby a defenceless baby Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:24 pm

I think those who defend the dogs that attack are genuinely dog lovers , but if your baby/child got mauled by any breed of dog would you honestly hand on heart ever trust dogs again ?

I don't and I wouldn't forgive the pun - once bitten twice shy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:26 pm

It the baby had been killed by a knife would it be the knifes fault? If the attack would not have happened with a responsible dog owner then surely it is the irresponsible owner that caused it to happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:31 pm

sphinx wrote:It the baby had been killed by a knife would it be the knifes fault?  If the attack would not have happened with a responsible dog owner then surely it is the irresponsible owner that caused it to happen.

no because the knife isn't a living thing is it where as a dog is alive  Rolling Eyes 

a wild animal will attack , a knife lying on the table wont just get up and stab someone .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:I think those who defend the dogs that attack are genuinely dog lovers , but if your baby/child got mauled by any breed of dog would you honestly hand on heart ever trust dogs again ?

I don't and I wouldn't forgive the pun - once bitten twice shy

Yes.

My son required hospital treatment after a dog attack. He was lucky that he had on a weave polo shirt because if he had not he would have required years of surgery as the dog tried to get him by the ribs and shake him - without that material it would have removed skin and flesh from the ribs instead of just inflicting puncture wounds. (I do not have any illusions about what a dog can and will do with those teeth - I probably have a better idea than many who dislike dogs). From the hospital I took him to play with 2 rottweilers and a GSD. This was to prevent him developing a severe fear. The following week I took him to work with a different GSD who was obedience trial trained. This was to make sure he maintained essential confidence and that "voice of command" someone else mentioned. He is happy and confident around dogs of all types now - although he was very wary of black labradors for a couple of years.
The attack was not his fault and took place in the street because the dog was in an unfenced front garden - and the animal had bitten another child just the week before. At the time it went for my son it had been left in the control of a 4 year old girl - whose face was about the height of my sons ribs. It was destroyed the same evening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:
sphinx wrote:It the baby had been killed by a knife would it be the knifes fault?  If the attack would not have happened with a responsible dog owner then surely it is the irresponsible owner that caused it to happen.

no because the knife isn't a living thing is it where as a dog is alive  Rolling Eyes 

a wild animal will attack , a knife lying on the table wont just get up and stab someone .

Sorry Maine but the dog should have never been in position to be able to kill a child. Yes, the dog carried out the act but the owner enabled it  Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:

A dog is not a wild animal. If a dog attacks there is generally a reason. 9 times our of ten that reason is what the owner has or has not done.

What about the car which rolls down the hill and kills a child because the handbrake snapped and it had not been parked in gear? That is an inanimate object - and is the owners fault. (yes it has happened around here although luckily did not kill a child - had it happened 5 minutes later it would have done because it is the school route and it happened just before school ended - as it was it just wrote off 2 cars plus the one that rolled)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 pm

why do dogs kill foxes then, surely they have a natural instinct to do it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 pm

The mother and boyfriend were originally arrested on neglect charges, this was then upped to manslaughter.
The baby was upstairs with the dog, they were downstairs.

Its also now saying the dog was a banned breed and neighbours had previously complained to police about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:why do dogs kill foxes then, surely they have a natural instinct to do it

Actually dogs chase foxes because they have an instinct to chase - killing them is not so easy. Your typical sight hound (greyhound, Afgan etc might kill without encouragement simply because they have the necessary speed to catch quickly. Other dogs that kill animals learn to do so - generally because the first time they do catch something it fights back and they learn to kill to avoid injury - or have to be encouraged.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:25 pm

NemsAgain wrote:The mother and boyfriend were originally arrested on neglect charges, this was then upped to manslaughter.
The baby was upstairs with the dog, they  were downstairs.

Its also now saying the dog was a banned breed and neighbours had previously complained to police about it.

oh dear, it's all coming out now, i wonder why they decide to ban certain types of dogs, do you think it is because they always have bad owners..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Stop benefits, stop this!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:12 pm

heavenly father wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:The mother and boyfriend were originally arrested on neglect charges, this was then upped to manslaughter.
The baby was upstairs with the dog, they  were downstairs.

oh dear, it's all coming out now, i wonder why they decide to ban certain types of dogs, do you think it is because they always have bad owners..

Pretty much - a breed gets a reputation, so people wanting animals with that reputation flock to the breed, breed gets blamed and they look elsewhere.

Not to mention we now have "type"

It would be far more effective to start targeting and sanctioning owners rather than trying to blame the breed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:33 pm

sphinx wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Pretty much - a breed gets a reputation, so people wanting animals with that reputation flock to the breed, breed gets blamed and they look elsewhere.

It would be far more effective to start targeting and sanctioning owners rather than trying to blame the breed.

People have been on the radio calling for more legislation. What for? We dont use the legislation we have.
Pitbulls have been banned for years and its illegal to breed them so why are there any in this country?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:49 pm

The dog on my avatar is Wally.   He was a rescue dog.   When my grandaughter who has cerebral palsy was about 4 and found walking very difficult, she and her elder sister were staying with me and we went out to feed the ducks.   A jack russell ran up to my disabled grandaughter and tried to bite her.   I'd only had Wally a few weeks and he had only met my grandaughter a few days previously.   He kept himself between her and the dog that was trying to bite her, and got bitten himself.   He never touched the other dog, just kept himself in the firing line until I could grab her and get her out of harms way.   For his trouble, he got his leg ripped to the bone and his stomach bitten open, because the jack russell got underneath him.   The owner of the other dog had no control over it.   Even in the few days I had Wally I had got him to walk to heel and come back on command and he saved my grandaughter from a very nasty attack that was the complete fault of the jack russell's owner.

Oh, and his best mate was a cat and he used to sit with baby rabbits, something he had been previously trained to kill. It's not the dog, it's the owner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:52 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
sphinx wrote:

People have been on the radio calling for more legislation. What for? We dont use the legislation we have.
Pitbulls have been banned for years and its illegal to breed them so why are there any in this country?

there must be something in the breed to warrant banning it, so is it all down to owners or are some dogs not domesticated enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:55 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Mainly because the ones people think are pitbulls are now "pitbull type" - and most people cannot identify a pitbull anyway. (http://www.pickthepit.com/ - click on the picture you think is a pitbull - I got it right with my second click) Pitbulls are not actually an official breed and experts are happy to admit they often cannot tell an "illegal" pitbull from a legal cross without a blood test for DNA.

Any dog that has never done anything remotely aggressive (unlike the dog in the story I might add) that is seized under the breed law is likely to become the object of a massive legal fight - during which time the animal will be in kennels and so is likely to come out with aggression and behaviour problems even if it did not go in with them - with the outcome far from certain.

In the meantime you can and will have dogs whose breeds are not "suspicious" who can make several attacks without any legal pressure for their destruction. The dog that bit my son was a black Labrador - and when it had sent a child to hospital the week before it did the same to my son everyone assumed it was a one off and probably partially the childs fault. I told the owners - on my way to taking my son to hospital - that if it was not destroyed by the time I returned I would be calling the police and suing them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:57 pm

heavenly father wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

there must be something in the breed to warrant banning it, so is it all down to owners or are some dogs not domesticated enough.

It is 99% the owner, 0.9% identifiable health problems, and of the 0.1% remaining those individuals will be spread among many different breeds and crosses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next