NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commonwealth Games commentator Kerri Pottharst apologises for Racist remarks

+2
Vintage
veya_victaous
6 posters

Go down

Commonwealth Games commentator Kerri Pottharst apologises for Racist remarks Empty Commonwealth Games commentator Kerri Pottharst apologises for Racist remarks

Post by veya_victaous Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:27 am

Olympic gold medallist and Chanel 7 commentator Kerri Pottharst has apologised for saying St Kitts and Nevis beach vollyeballers looked like ‘human lamingtons’.
Pottharst, 52, won gold with Natalie Cook at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.
She was commentating on the match between Australia duo Damien Schumann and Chris McHugh and St Clair Hodge and Shawn Seabrookes when she made the insensitive remarks.

“Today at the Commonwealth Games beach volleyball, I made a comment I unreservedly apologise for and sincerely regret,” Pottharst said after backlash on social media.
“It was 100 percent not meant to offend.”

Channel 7 also issued an apology after the match, which was won by the Australian pair, 21-3, 21-10.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/commonwealthgames/commonwealth-games-2018-olympic-champion-apologises-for-racist-gaffe/ar-AAvD75g?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=ientp

From Twitter
☢️ @Y2016CE
>@KerriPottharst apology Not Accepted #GC2018 @7CommGames @GC2018. These athletes trained hard without the same opportunities you were given. Disgrace to Australia #Discrimination #WhitePrivilege #JustWrong #Racist
11:30 PM - Apr 8, 2018
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Commonwealth Games commentator Kerri Pottharst apologises for Racist remarks Empty Re: Commonwealth Games commentator Kerri Pottharst apologises for Racist remarks

Post by Vintage Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:11 am

Was she being racist or just saying they looked delicious and good enough to eat? Although that could be sexist or foodist I suppose.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Commonwealth Games commentator Kerri Pottharst apologises for Racist remarks Empty Re: Commonwealth Games commentator Kerri Pottharst apologises for Racist remarks

Post by nicko Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:19 am

PC madness !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:41 pm

What are 'lamingtons', and more importantly, why is calling someone that offensive??

I have to agree with nicko. What nonsense. On a lighter note, Nevis is the birthplace of Alexander Hamilton.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Squares of sponge cakes covered in chocolate or strawberry jam with sprinkling of coconut, mainly known in Australia and New Zealand I think.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Vintage wrote:Squares of sponge cakes covered in chocolate or strawberry jam with sprinkling of coconut, mainly known in Australia and New Zealand I think.

Yeah...thanks.  I looked it up.  Seems a fairly neutral metaphor to call someone.  Beats me how that is offensive, let alone bigoted or stereotyping.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:48 pm

Vintage wrote:
Squares of sponge cakes covered in chocolate or strawberry jam with sprinkling of coconut, mainly known in Australia and New Zealand I think.

What a Face

More correctly, and realistically --

You take a slightly rectangular piece of sponge cake, about 2" to 3" long, dip it in runny chocolate icing, and then roll it through shredded and desiccated coconut...

Strawberry (or rarely raspberry) jam is sometimes placed in the middle of the sponge layer (sliced horizontally..) before cutting it into the smaller "finger-food size"  --  never simply spread over it, as that would no longer be a genuine "lamington"..

https://www.recipetineats.com/classic-lamingtons/

"Pink lamingtons" are actually dipped in strawberry icing  --   not jam..  Even more rare, are lamingtons made with chocolate-flavoured spongecake.

Commonwealth Games commentator Kerri Pottharst apologises for Racist remarks 3922118137
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Vintage wrote:Squares of sponge cakes covered in chocolate or strawberry jam with sprinkling of coconut, mainly known in Australia and New Zealand I think.

Yeah...thanks.  I looked it up.  Seems a fairly neutral metaphor to call someone.  Beats me how that is offensive, let alone bigoted or stereotyping.

Arrow

I agree with that angle...

I would be more interested in knowing what the Caribbean competitors themselves think of throwaway lines like that..

As the negative comments seemed to be coming from anonymous and random online bloggers and pz/c nutters, rather than those actually involved or potentially affected.

Another of those results from a free-and-easy social media these days -- too much attention and recognition is being given to the more inane, silly and irrational rants out there..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:36 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Vintage wrote:

What a Face

More correctly,  and realistically --

You take a slightly rectangular piece of sponge cake, about 2" to 3" long, dip it in runny chocolate icing, and then roll it through shredded and desiccated coconut...

Strawberry (or rarely raspberry) jam is sometimes placed in the middle of the sponge layer (sliced horizontally..) before cutting it into the smaller "finger-food size"  --  never simply spread over it, as that would no longer be a genuine "lamington"..

https://www.recipetineats.com/classic-lamingtons/

"Pink lamingtons" are actually dipped in strawberry icing  --   not jam..  Even more rare, are lamingtons made with chocolate-flavoured spongecake.

Commonwealth Games commentator Kerri Pottharst apologises for Racist remarks 3922118137

Sounds delicious.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:11 pm

It’s now racist to call someone a cake?
I dated a black guy once and he used to call me “vanilla” as in vanilla ice-cream. I didn’t think it was racist.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:49 am

eddie wrote:It’s now racist to call someone a cake?
I dated a black guy once and he used to call me “vanilla” as in vanilla ice-cream. I didn’t think it was racist.

I don't see the connection. It certainly won't sell overseas.

Sounds pretty remote.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down