NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inevitable muscle wasting of old age could be stopped, scientists believe

Go down

Inevitable muscle wasting of old age could be stopped, scientists believe Empty Inevitable muscle wasting of old age could be stopped, scientists believe

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 am

The inevitable muscle wasting of old age could be stopped, scientists believe, after discovering why people become frail as they grow older. Most people become weaker in their later years, as their leg muscles get smaller and less able to bear weight, which often leads to disability and falls.

But until now, nobody has known why the process happens or if it can be reversed.

However, scientists at Manchester Metropolitan University have discovered that by the age of 75, people have between 30 and 50 per cent fewer nerves controlling the muscles in their legs. 

This leaves large areas of the muscle disconnected from the nervous system - which acts as an electricity supply and communication link to the brain. Without the connection the muscle areas wither away and die.
Dr Mathew Piasecki, the study lead author who has since taken up a position at the University of Nottingham, said: "One of the earliest attempts at research similar to ours showed results from a small group of older people who apparently had just a couple of surviving nerves feeding into a foot muscle.

“We were very sceptical of the old data, however, now that we have tested a couple of hundred men we think the early observation was probably correct. We have also observed some very old muscles with just a few dozen nerves left, where young and healthy adults have hundreds."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/03/12/inevitable-muscle-wasting-old-age-could-stopped-scientists-believe/

Back to top Go down

Inevitable muscle wasting of old age could be stopped, scientists believe Empty Re: Inevitable muscle wasting of old age could be stopped, scientists believe

Post by Vintage Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:38 pm

By 75, well I have a few years yet let's hope scientists can let me know asap how I an persuade the nerves I still have to stick around or maybe regenerate those already gone. I walk enough, pick up enough weight regularly so the muscles should let my nerves know, that they should still feel needed.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down