NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Police dog tests are too hard for women: Forces must change handler fitness test after female Pc wins £15,000 damages

+2
'Wolfie
HoratioTarr
6 posters

Go down

Police dog tests are too hard for women: Forces must change handler fitness test after female Pc wins £15,000 damages Empty Police dog tests are too hard for women: Forces must change handler fitness test after female Pc wins £15,000 damages

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:57 am

A female police officer has been awarded £15,000 after failing a grueling fitness test to become a dog handler and now forces across the country will have to change their exam.

Constable Kim-Louise Carter had to complete a ten-mile run and then carry a dog named Hulk who weighed five and a half stone (35kg) over a course, in wet and muddy conditions.

She claimed that the test put women at a disadvantage because it was too physically tough to pass as she struggled to keep up with her male equivalents.

Miss Carter, 31 won a landmark sex-discrimination case proving that the system to become a dog handler was too demanding for some women.

Gloucester, Avon and Somerset and Wiltshire police forces all used the test that Miss Carter tackled.

As a result each constabularly has a higher percentage of male dog handlers compared to female, the employment tribunal in Bristol heard.

During the hearing Judge Street ordered that the three police forces must review their exam course. But this may affect other constabularies where women officers have struggled to complete the taxing fitness challenge.

Miss Carter told the tribunal that she became exhausted while carrying the dog up a hill known as 'The Long Walk'.

She also said that she 'dug deep, real deep' to keep up with the men who were moving at a faster pace than her.

She added: 'I could lift the dog but had nothing left to carry him. I just couldn't get any momentum', reports The Telegragh.

Miss Carter's goal to become a dog hander within the Gloucestershire constabularly, where she is still a serving officer, ended when she was withdrawn from the two-and-a-half-hour exam.

The female police constable, who began her policing career as a community support officer in 2005 before becoming a constable in 2013, said the test favoured men more than women.

The tribunal heard that out of 48 dog handles in the Gloucester force just four were women. While Avon and Somerset had three women out of 24 handlers and Whiltshire had four women out of 12 in total.

However the defence for the forces said that in order to succeed as a dog handler it is vital to be phyiscally fit as tracking criminals over long periods of time in debilitating conditions and then arresting the criminal was especially challenging.

There is a higher pass rate of men because they have different levels of strength and stamina than women and that the 'qualifying situation' need to be reviewed.

These findings were published last week following the tribunal which took place over four days between October and November last year.

Judge Street said: 'Where a standard test had negative impacts on members of a protected group, here women, then it either needs to be changed or objectively justified.'

The judge agreed women were at particular disadvantage compared with men and awarded Miss Carter a total of £14,930 for indirect sex discrimination.

A spokesman for Gloucestershire police said the three forces were now reviewing the judges' recommendations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5265409/Police-ordered-change-way-recruit-dog-handlers.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Police dog tests are too hard for women: Forces must change handler fitness test after female Pc wins £15,000 damages Empty Re: Police dog tests are too hard for women: Forces must change handler fitness test after female Pc wins £15,000 damages

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:57 am

Sigh....
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Police dog tests are too hard for women: Forces must change handler fitness test after female Pc wins £15,000 damages Empty Re: Police dog tests are too hard for women: Forces must change handler fitness test after female Pc wins £15,000 damages

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 am

What a Face

Another domino falls...

As Britain's slowly-diminishing police 'forces' gradually become the laughing stock of the civilised world..

And to think that modern day "policing" was invented in 19th century Britain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_law_enforcement_in_the_United_Kingdom
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Of course it's hard, its meant to be. It wasn't put in place to please women or men.

Why give her a payoff when she knew what it was beforehand.

Just another one sucking up to this stupid compo country.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:10 pm

I despair at shit like this, I really do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm all for women doing any job they want,the more physical the job the more of a challenge it will be for the average woman, she either has to train more and be more determined than the average man to achieve the requirements or understand she doesn't have the physique for it, there are many men who can't physically handle these kind of jobs. I don't know if people in general are getting smaller or just women (everyone seems to want to wear size zero these days) but women were bigger and stronger in the past due to having to do very physical work in agrarian societies, even the Romans mention Celtic women being large and strong. I think there was a report on the physicality of women in agrarian societies. Sometimes technique can compensate for sheer strength but giving this woman compensation is nonsense.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:55 pm

I think people are getting bigger physically...maybe not mentally as strong as they once were.

If a job needs brute strength of course men will generally be better.
Some jobs are more suited to men....tough, if a woman cant hack it she shouldn't expect compensation.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Syl wrote:I think people are getting bigger physically...maybe not mentally as strong as they once were.

Some jobs are more suited to men....tough, if a woman cant hack it she shouldn't expect compensation.

She was able to pick up the dog. Which means she was strong enough. Sounds like she just wasn't fit enough.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 pm

It's a fitness test, she failed, end of ! Why should she get compensation for failing?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:I think people are getting bigger physically...maybe not mentally as strong as they once were.

She was able to pick up the dog. Which means she was strong enough.  Sounds like she just wasn't fit enough.

I have picked up dogs at about 4 stone and carried them up a flight of steps, I don't know if I could have carried them any further I didn't try. I found in my job that picking up a weight is one thing, moving with it is another. If you have the weight up high its better.
If you have to carry low, at arms length, it pulls you down and its difficult to move too easily.
The report on women in early farming communities says that according to the bones of skeletons found the women in these societies were stronger than modern female athletes, and as the women did the majority of the work in the fields the constant use of muscles in this way kept them strong. The men's skeletons suggested a mixture of walking/running (hunting) and field work.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 pm

wait till these cretins start hitting front line units

i cant wait to see what the liberals will say when "mummy" come home in a body bag

no doubt they will blame it on their male team mates for not protecting them

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:49 pm

I think some already have come home in body bags, didn't hear a mass outcry though.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 am

smelly-bandit wrote:wait till these cretins start hitting front line units

i cant wait to see what the liberals will say when "mummy" come home in a body bag

no doubt they will blame it on their male team mates for not protecting them

Rolling Eyes

Fuck off with your tired "liberal" deflections, you braindead fascist turd...

You wouldn't recognise a genuine liberal if you tripped over one..

You're becoming more crazy and irrelevant by the day.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:51 am

Vintage wrote:I think some already have come home in body bags, didn't hear a mass outcry though.

Some??

You mean like all 7 of them??

4 in Iraq and 3 in Afghanistan??

Wait till that number rockets up to the 500 mark.

Then we will see just how much stomach society has for equality

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 am

smelly-bandit wrote:
Vintage wrote:I think some already have come home in body bags, didn't hear a mass outcry though.

Some??

You mean like all 7 of them??

4 in Iraq and 3 in Afghanistan??

Wait till that number rockets up to the 500 mark.

Then we will see just how much stomach society has for equality

Israel has the stomach for it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Israel_Defense_Forces

So did the Russians during WW2.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/amazing-nazis-killed-her-husband-she-bought-drove-a-t34-then-went-on-a-rampage-m.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

http://mashable.com/2016/07/30/soviet-women-snipers/

How about the US?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-names-you-dont-hear-nearly-200-women-have-died-in-iraq-and-afghanistan

Or how about the many Kurdish women combat soldiers?

You just simple are a dinosaur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down