NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools

+6
nicko
veya_victaous
eddie
Victorismyhero
'Wolfie
HoratioTarr
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools Empty France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools

Post by Guest Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:44 pm

France is to impose a total ban on pupils using mobile phones in primary and secondary schools starting in September 2018, its education minister has confirmed.

Phones are already forbidden in French classrooms but starting next school year, pupils will be barred from taking them out at breaks, lunch times and between lessons.

Teachers and parents are divided over a total ban, however, with some saying children must be able to "live in their time". In France, some 93 per cent of 12 to 17-year-olds own mobile phones.

"These days the children don't play at break time anymore, they are just all in front of their smartphones and from an educational point of view that's a problem," said Jean-Michel Blanquer, the French education minister.

"This is about ensuring the rules and the law are respected. The use of telephones is banned in class. With headmasters, teachers and parents, we must come up with a way of protecting pupils from loss of concentration via screens and phones," he said.

"Are we going to ban mobile phones from schools? The answer is yes."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/11/france-impose-total-ban-mobile-phones-schools/

Back to top Go down

France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools Empty Re: France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools

Post by eddie Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:13 pm

I think it might well be a good idea. I'd like to see how it transpires.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools Empty Re: France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools

Post by Eilzel Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:46 pm

To be honest, they are a ridiculous distraction used almlst solely to play addictive games or scroll mindlessly through social media drivel. And some kids lack the self control a lot of the time to not look.

The given excuse of emergencies is crap, if there was ever such an emergency then the school itself can be contacted.

I absolutely support this idea.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:14 am

I think this is a great idea. If students have an emergency or the parents need to get hold of the student in an emergency, then they can go through the school office, like they used to.

Once senior junior got his out in class and got it taken away. We fully supported the teacher and school policy. It’s a distraction and rude and disrespectful to the teacher.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:22 am

I think most bans are stupid ideas.

This one is no different.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 am

Cass wrote:I think this is a great idea. If students have an emergency or the parents need to get hold of the student in an emergency, then they can go through the school office, like they used to.

Once senior junior got his out in class and got it taken away. We fully supported the teacher and school policy. It’s a distraction and rude and disrespectful to the teacher.

I think it's a good idea too.   It just encourages kids to sit there...twiddling.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 am

If I don't want my child to have a cell phone, I can make them leave it at home. I don't need the Stasi confiscating my kids property unless they have done something to warrant it.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:35 am

Maddog wrote:If I don't want my child to have a cell phone, I can make them leave it at home. I don't need the Stasi confiscating my kids property unless they have done something to warrant it.

If a school has rules, it’s very simple. You either follow them or you go elsewhere or Homeschool.

What, in your opinion, is the benefit of a child having a phone in the classroom/school.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:47 am

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:If I don't want my child to have a cell phone, I can make them leave it at home. I don't need the Stasi confiscating my kids property unless they have done something to warrant it.

If a school has rules, it’s very simple. You either follow them or you go elsewhere or Homeschool.

What, in your opinion, is the benefit of a child having a phone in the classroom/school.

to replicate the real world Cool

Teachers used to say 'you wont always have a calculator on you'..... but these kids will.... the education system needs to change and adapt and embrace technology as a learning medium.
I think the best way to keep them off the phones is to give them decent tablets to work off in class, then they might want to do something else at break times.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:58 pm

pirat

Those schools should make their buildings mobile phone/radio signal proof  --  so that phones, radios, 2-ways don't work within the buildings, even if students do smuggle them in...

TV signals, internal phone services and p.a. systems, internet and video, could be hard-wired;  while wi-fi can be maintained via transponders/repeaters in each classroom..

Who cares if mobile phone signal 'jammers' have been outlawed in many jurisdictions --  there are other 'workarounds' available to block radio signals.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Cass wrote:

They can call me if they need something?

I know schools have rules. They have dumb ones too. Thankfully I live in a country where it's still legal to comment on how dumb some of these rules are. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm

When I was at school, there were no mobile phones... but if there was, they would definitely have been banned... as even 'walkmans' weren't allowed, they would be confiscated until end of day when they would be handed back with strict instruction 'not to bring into school again, or else!'... and bringing in any form of CB/walkie-talkie type communication device was unthinkable!!!

If there was urgent need for parent to contact child, or child to contact parent, then that was always possible by landline phone call via the school office... and is still the case now...

There is absolutely no need/reason for any child to have a smartphone, or even any basic mobile phone, during school hours.

And I think it is right that they are banned!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Something tells me that the reason those in authority don't like cell phones is because they come with video cameras.

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Maddog wrote:Something tells me that the reason those in authority don't like cell phones is because they come with video cameras.

Cameras/video cameras were also things that were not allowed to be brought in...

So I don't see why they should be allowed now, just because the devices are also able to make phone calls...!?

And as I said earlier... there is no reason for them to even have mobile phone function during school hours...!

But re your post... please explain...? As schools have CCTV cameras throught the places these days...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Maddog wrote:Something tells me that the reason those in authority don't like cell phones is because they come with video cameras.

Cameras/video cameras were also things that were not allowed to be brought in...

So I don't see why they should be allowed now, just because the devices are also able to make phone calls...!?

And as I said earlier... there is no reason for them to even have mobile phone function during school hours...!

But re your post... please explain...? As schools have CCTV cameras throught the places these days...!

CCTV cameras are not always working. I see no reason why a child cannot have an electronic device, as long as they don't use it when they are not supposed to. Mine called me all the time from school as they were involved in sports and had information they needed to relay to me. They couldn't call during class, but they could call between classes and after school.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 pm

The solution for people that don't want their kids having phones in school is for them to take their child's phone before they go to school.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:58 pm

Surely anything important enough could have been transmitted to you via school office staff using phone/email etc...?

Or wait till later for anything else...?

But either way... you are only offering up an argument in favour of -

'some school kids having some access to a phone at some times, but only for the sole purpose of contacting a parent when vital information needs to be relayed'

This is already provided via school office... so still no real justification for mobile phone... and definitely no reason to allow any device with all the other functions of a smartphone...!

Why should any of these smartphone devices be allowed...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Surely anything important enough could have been transmitted to you via school office staff using phone/email etc...?

Or wait till later for anything else...?

But either way... you are only offering up an argument in favour of -

'some school kids having some access to a phone at some times, but only for the sole purpose of contacting a parent when vital information needs to be relayed'

This is already provided via school office... so still no real justification for mobile phone... and definitely no reason to allow any device with all the other functions of a smartphone...!

Why should any of these smartphone devices be allowed...!?

Because someone may want their child to have one Comrade.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:02 pm

What for...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:What for...?

Let me see.

"Dad and I are going to the neighbors and will be home late"

"Mom needs tampons, stop and buy some on the way home".

"What time is your game tonight?"

"Mom, can I go to Susies house after school?"

"Mom, bring my red socks to the game and get there early, because I forgot them"

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 pm

Maddog wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:What for...?

Let me see.

"Mom, bring my red socks to the game and get there early, because I forgot them"

Is that all you got...!?

That is only lame arguments for a little bit of phone function... what about all the other functions of a smartphone...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Let me see.

Is that all you got...!?

That is only lame arguments for a little bit of phone function... what about all the other functions of a smartphone...?

It's all I need. I don't have to prove to you why I want my kids to have access to anything.

I think my kids (or I did, they are grown) are better off having all of that technology at their disposal at all times. I feel they are safer.

If you want to send yours to school with a sharp stick and a clay tablet, be my guest.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Maddog, if teachers think students are distracted by having phones in class and even to the detriment of learning for the individual or others, then whose judgment on having it with them is better, the parent's or the teacher's.

I'd go with the latter. It is no secret that constant access to smart phones has led to lower attention spans.

At best they should be made to leave phones in a locker, then all your 'concerns' are fixed.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:52 pm

We all feel like we are lost without our phones now and if you think about it, that is a scary way to live.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Eilzel wrote:Maddog, if teachers think students are distracted by having phones in class and even to the detriment of learning for the individual or others, then whose judgment on having it with them is better, the parent's or the teacher's.

I'd go with the latter. It is no secret that constant access to smart phones has led to lower attention spans.

At best they should be made to leave phones in a locker, then all your 'concerns' are fixed.

In life, one will need to be in possession of a mobile phone without using it. School would be an excellent place to master this concept. Wink

We have a very simple solution where my kids went to school. Get caught using the phone when you were not allowed, and you got a warning. The second time, you had your phone taking up and you had to buy it back out of "phone jail". The kids learned, which is a crazy concept for school aint it?

Last edited by Maddog on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 pm

eddie wrote:We all feel like we are lost without our phones now and if you think about it, that is a scary way to live.

True. All the more reason to get school kids accustomed to being apart from it.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Maddog wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Maddog, if teachers think students are distracted by having phones in class and even to the detriment of learning for the individual or others, then whose judgment on having it with them is better, the parent's or the teacher's.

In life, one will need to be in possession of a mobile phone without using it. School would be an excellent place to master this concept. Wink

We have a very simple solution where my kids went to school. Get caught using the phone when you were not allowed, and you got a warning. The second time, you had your phone taking up and you had to buy it back out of "phone jail". The kids learned, which is a crazy concept for school aint it?

Banning them teaches another lesson- you can't always have what you want, when you want it Wink
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Banning them teaches another lesson- you can't always have what you want, when you want it Wink

Yes, banning things always teaches a good lesson. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 am

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:
We all feel like we are lost without our phones now and if you think about it, that is a scary way to live.

Razz

Yep,  just imagine corporate-fascist Maddog's poor children if their batteries had run flat...

Would have brought a new meaning to the term 'snowflake'..

(What's this world coming to, when Tommy has some of the most sensible comments on here --  seeing him on the same page as Eilzel and eddie here..).
          Exclamation
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:34 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Razz

Yep,  just imagine corporate-fascist Maddog's poor children if their batteries had run flat...

(What's this world coming to, when Tommy has some of the most sensible comments on here --  seeing him on the same page as Eilzel and eddie here..).
          Exclamation

My kids were smart enough to keep their phones charged. And when they weren't, they adapted.

After all, its simply a phone, not a pacemaker or some other device needed to sustain life.

And it's not unusual to see people from the left and the right supporting force at the same time. Happens all the time.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:35 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:

Razz

Exclamation

It is a rather rare turn of events, shouldn't think it will last lol!
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 am

Eilzel wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Razz

Exclamation

It's hardly rare at all from my perspective. I see little difference between right or left authoritarianism.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:45 am

Maddog wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Razz

Exclamation

It's hardly rare at all from my perspective. I see little difference between right or left authoritarianism.  

Authoritarianism... flare for being dramatic there, maddog Razz
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 am

Eilzel wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It is a government imposed ban. A ban you support. No doubt there have been other government bans that you have been less enthusiastic about. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 am

Maddog wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It is a government imposed ban. A ban you support. No doubt there have been other government bans that you have been less enthusiastic about. Wink

Of course there are. I think the view "all bans are bad" or "bans are good" would be equally silly. There has to be a good reason for something to banned.

So I support, bans on smoking in restaurants, bans on hunting, bans on phones in school.

But not, bans on smoking in pubs or bans kinder eggs.

Case by case basis, maddog, otherwise you're letting ideology overrule reason.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 am

Eilzel wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Of course there are. I think the view "all bans are bad" or "bans are good" would be equally silly. There has to be a good reason for something to banned.

So I support, bans on smoking in restaurants, bans on hunting, bans on phones in school.

So you support banning things that don't have any affect on you, you just don't like them.

I mean how else do you decide what should be banned?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:12 am

Maddog wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

So you support banning things that don't have any affect on you, you just don't like them.

Hey why not let kids kick the shit out of each other, bully others, punch the teacher and instead of going to the toilet, shit on their desk?

No point in having rules right?

Its a phone that is not needed when studying within the premises of a school.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am

Maddog wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Not just me, many.

Hunting for fun is savage and inhumane and needless violence.
Smoking is harmful to others.
Phones distract students and the class and are detrimental to learning.

All good reasons. Only hunting doesn't affect me, though it affects the animals rather badly.

Try again.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 am

Eilzel wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Not just me, many.

Hunting for fun is savage and inhumane and needless violence.
Smoking is harmful to others.
Phones distract students and the class and are detrimental to learning.

All good reasons. Only hunting doesn't affect me, though it affects the animals rather badly.

Try again.

No need to try again.

You proved my point. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:27 am

Didge wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Hey why not let kids kick the shit out of each other, bully others, punch the teacher and instead of going to the toilet, shit on their desk?

The rules could be very simple.

Don't use the phone during class.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:37 am

Maddog wrote:
Didge wrote:

The rules could be very simple.

Don't use the phone during class.

Yes by leaving them at home.

Its not a tool that is required in order to learn at school.

I mean what else would then kids be able to bring to class, based on your lax rules?

There is no need to bring them to school.

Simple

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 am

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:We all feel like we are lost without our phones now and if you think about it, that is a scary way to live.

Why?

they will be like eddie and fell lost without their phone, that will be the only life they know
Isn't the point of school to prepare children for the real world? France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools 202592697

really they will probably be live increasing integrated life styles and may stop carrying a 'phone' because the functions are built into clothes and jewelry or even implants. let alone the development of practical Augment Reality systems that will drive a whole new range of Personal devices

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 am

Idea

And...

Won't they be lost when their batteries run flat..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Why?

they will be like eddie and fell lost without their phone, that will be the only life they know
Isn't the point of school to prepare children for the real world? France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools 202592697

really they will probably be live increasing integrated life styles and may stop carrying a 'phone' because the functions are built into clothes and jewelry or even implants. let alone the development of practical Augment Reality systems that will drive a whole new range of Personal devices

When they get a job, they'll probably have to deal with not being allowed to use their phone. It is a pet peeve of mine when we I walk into a shop and the staff are on their phones, like seriously put it down and do your job. Not being able to constantly scroll FB or play Candy Crush is something people need to start get getting used to.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 am

Eil. please be more specific when you define hunting....

I hunt for 2 reasons

1)pest control, since clearing the crows out of our wood and thinning the squirrels, the song bird population has increased dramatically

2) for good quality lean and healthy "wild meat"...rabbit pheasant etc

do I enjoy hunting, well Yes, there is always a sense of satisfaction of a job well done, especially when returning with a couple of weeks worth of varied dinner, and a sense of pride in good marksmanship.

However for shooting for fun I do prefer the clay range, where I can attempt "extreme range" stuff without the concern of "wounding" and no chance of quick retrieve and dispatch.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:00 am

Lord Foul wrote:Eil. please be more specific when you define hunting....

I hunt for 2 reasons

1)pest control, since clearing the crows out of our wood and thinning the squirrels, the song bird population has increased dramatically

2) for good quality lean and healthy "wild meat"...rabbit pheasant etc

do I enjoy hunting, well Yes, there is always a sense of satisfaction of a job well done, especially when returning with a couple of weeks worth of varied dinner, and a sense of pride in good marksmanship.

However for shooting for fun I do prefer the clay range, where I can attempt "extreme range" stuff without the concern of "wounding" and no chance of quick retrieve and dispatch.

I will never be entirely comfortable with getting any joy out of killing animals, Vic.

However, I acknowledge the need for culling as an actual benefit. For food it's less ok, since if everyone suddenly wanted to do it we'd have a problem, but I still wouldn't say I support banning that.

Fox hunting is what I support the ban of.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Why?

When they get a job, they'll probably have to deal with not being allowed to use their phone. It is a pet peeve of mine when we I walk into a shop and the staff are on their phones, like seriously put it down and do your job. Not being able to constantly scroll FB or play Candy Crush is something people need to start get getting used to.

Agreed. People shouldn't have phones at work either. Mostly they aren't used for emergencies only frivoloties.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:43 pm

People shouldn't have or do things I don't like. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Maddog wrote:People shouldn't have or do things I don't like.  Wink

Name them and I'll see if you have a right to. Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:29 pm

So still no reason why kids at school should have a camera/video camera during school time...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next