NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books

+8
Victorismyhero
Fred Moletrousers
HoratioTarr
SEXY MAMA
Ben Reilly
Cass
eddie
nicko
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Books - Page 2 Empty Books

Post by nicko Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

How many Books do you read in a month, I used to read about 10 a month but since i'v been on forums it's down to around 5 ! Any one else find this happening?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Books - Page 2 Empty Re: Books

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 pm

nicko wrote:Didn't Sphinx have her own forum once?

ADO mate, "a different opinion"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:11 pm

nicko wrote:How many Books do you read in a month,  I used to read about 10 a month but since i'v been on forums it's down to around 5 !  Any one else find this happening?

Books are my escape. Reading Inglorious Empire by Shashi Tharoor at the moment, you wouldn't like it Nicko, tells the truth about what we did to India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:12 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Didge wrote:

Yeah you have a good point there. I really do not keep any fiction books, but countless non-fiction books.

So have you thought of writing another book?

You could do one on the characters of newsfix?   Laughing

Don't tempt me!! lol!

Laughing

Seriously though, do you ever consider writing another novel?

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Didge wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Don't tempt me!! lol!

Laughing

Seriously though, do you ever consider writing another novel?

yes
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Two, as a matter of fact.  Both named A Different Opinion, or ADO for short.

Sphinx was a good poster.  Quite intelligent, and she kept up on current events.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Two, as a matter of fact.  Both named A Different Opinion, or ADO for short.

Sphinx was a good poster.  Quite intelligent, and she kept up on current events.

With that sentiment I concur.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:34 am

nicko wrote:
How many Books do you read in a month,  I used to read about 10 a month but since i'v been on forums it's down to around 5 !  Any one else find this happening?

study

Once upon a time long, long ago,  I might have read a couple of novels a month...

Now it's only 3 or 4 a year..     Though at the same time I will still be reading one or two non-fiction/technical books on average each month;  and I hang on to most of them for reference so that I now have several hundred non-fiction books in my personal library.

I bought a Kindle a few months ago --  I am loading mostly non-fiction items like handbooks and reference books onto it, so effectively that could give me a handy quick-reference library in my pocket when I'm out somewhere (e.g. in the garage or workshop; or out with the bees..) and away from my main reference library..

When it comes to reading novels, or simply reading for relaxation/self-education/enjoyment, I still much prefer real books...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:39 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Didge wrote:

Yeah you have a good point there. I really do not keep any fiction books, but countless non-fiction books.

So have you thought of writing another book?

You could do one on the characters of newsfix?   Laughing

Don't tempt me!! lol!

Do it. Pretty please? cheers

You mentioned Peter Hook books. Is that as in Joy Division/New Order Peter Hook?
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:53 am

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:
Didge wrote:

I think it would be very funny, no matter what was written about each character, including me.

Cool

Haha me too. As I said to Eds on another thread, next month will be 10 years since I met her, and others on the old Sky boards. 10 frigging years. Yikes!

It seems an age ago Cass and yet many of us are still here.

Really miss "I am King" and "Ballsaloch" (I think that is how its spelt and even though we completely disagreed, he was a great debator).

I also miss Prinze, he was Muslim, very intelligent, funny and good for debate.

Any you remember and miss?

I'm the King was an awesome poster and extremely nice guy, wish he was still about.

On books, can range from upto 5 a month when I'm really captivated by an author or series, to a struggle to read 1 if it isn't gripping (but I have to finish...).

Love both F and NF though definitely read more of the former, they tend to be quicker and more 'fun'. My NF is almost exclusively historical.

Horatio, I'm intrigued about your publishing experience, as I'm about to go down a similar path (waiting on beta readers atm), so may PM you about it at some point if you don't mind Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:03 am

Eilzel wrote:
Didge wrote:

Really miss "I am King" and "Ballsaloch" (I think that is how its spelt and even though we completely disagreed, he was a great debator).

I'm the King was an awesome poster and extremely nice guy, wish he was still about.

On books, can range from upto 5 a month when I'm really captivated by an author or series, to a struggle to read 1 if it isn't gripping (but I have to finish...).

Love both F and NF though definitely read more of the former, they tend to be quicker and more 'fun'. My NF is almost exclusively historical.

Horatio, I'm intrigued about your publishing experience, as I'm about to go down a similar path (waiting on beta readers atm), so may PM you about it at some point if you don't mind Smile

He did pop on IAF a couple of times a couple of years ago.
Sadly no idea what he is doing now

Interesting, what have you written mate?

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:36 am

Didge wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Didge wrote:

A fantasy novel. The first fully complete, original novel I've written. Pretty excited about it, though still a lot of work to do with final edits and proof reads Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:40 am

Eilzel wrote:
Didge wrote:

A fantasy novel. The first fully complete, original novel I've written. Pretty excited about it, though still a lot of work to do with final edits and proof reads Smile

Will be interested to read when it comes out.

Congrats mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:54 am

Didge wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Didge wrote:

Will be interested to read when it comes out.

Congrats mate

Cheers, will keep you informed.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Cass wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Don't tempt me!! lol!

You mentioned Peter Hook books. Is that as in Joy Division/New Order Peter Hook?

Yes, that's him.   Very funny books.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Didge wrote:

Feel free to pm me any time you want for advice.   Self publishing isn't the easy route, and editing is a nightmare.   The reason I really wanted to self publish was because my book is something like 147K long, and no publisher will take that off a new writer.  And I didn't want to cut any of it.   It was originally 170K long but I managed to get it down but not enough, and there's so much in that book that needs to be there.  I also did my own book cover.    I still look at that book on my Kindle and go...'Fuck me, there's another pissing comma I missed!!!'
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Didge wrote:

Why don't you put a teaser for us on here? 

Also get yourself a blog....and a Facebook page for your book.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:11 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Cass wrote:

Yes, that's him.   Very funny books.

Excellent. Thanks for the tip!
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Didge wrote:

Feel free to pm me any time you want for advice.   Self publishing isn't the easy route, and editing is a nightmare.   The reason I really wanted to self publish was because my book is something like 147K long, and no publisher will take that off a new writer.  And I didn't want to cut any of it.   It was originally 170K long but I managed to get it down but not enough, and there's so much in that book that needs to be there.  I also did my own book cover.    I still look at that book on my Kindle and go...'Fuck me, there's another pissing comma I missed!!!'

My book is around 175,000 words, which is the lighter side of most modern fantasy compared with the big sellers. But that figure is also prohibitive for a first timer where publishers are concerned. I have no plans to make a career of writing (unless a miracle happened, but I'm realistic about these things).

I do like my story though, not to sound too immodest. I have sent it to betas so I am serious about quality too. I'm hopeless at design so I've hired a uni student artist for the cover and will pay for proofing. I agree on editing, what a bitch that is lol.

I know self pub is difficult, and plan on a blog and FB page before publishing. I will probably be in touch once I'm done with final edits. Thanks Smile

PS: I won't put anything here yet, maybe a taster after release. I'm paranoid as F about these things lol
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Ben and I are about ten chapters away (approx) from finishing our book. I think we are going to try a publisher though.
I'll pm you if I need info on self-publishing Horatio, if you don't mind.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Seeing as there's a few budding authors on here, this is an extract by a self published author who makes a good living from his books.  You'll find it's quite surprising if you're thinking of finding a publisher.

Let me explain something that most people don't understand. I have an agent, who got me a small book deal with Harper Collins. That book has sold about 2,000 copies through them. I make about $10 a month off it now. I'm making over $10,000 a month on my indie book series. 

Traditional publishers ARE NOT THE WAY TO GO nowadays, but they do have an advantage. They have a waiting list of readers and if they really choose to get behind a book they can get you instant visibility. However, most traditional publishers are now telling their authors they have to do their own promotion and advertising. That's NOT HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE. I'm convinced they took me on because I already had a small reader base and they wanted to capitalize off that.

In a word, Traditional Publishing IS DYING. It's not dead yet, but it's heading that way.

Why? Because if you can get over the visibility hump that holds so many people back, traditional publishing is a HINDRANCE because your royalty rates are so low. My deal with HarperCollins was 25% on ebooks up to 10,000 copies sold, then it went up to 50%. KDP gives indies better than 60% and you can publish THE DAY YOU FINISH WRITING. Traditional publishers want to take months to get a book out. They are slow as hell, which is infuriating to someone like me that puts a new book out every month.

The royalites on the print books are far worse. At like 8%. So if you are a successful traditionally published author, you WANT TO GO INDIE on future books that you don't have under contract. 

That means traditional publishing is now the MIDDLE TIER of author land. A successful indie author will always make MORE MONEY than a traditionally published one. I am FINALLY there now, over that visibility hump, and my sales are growing steadily now that I've finally figured out how to use AMS correctly. Seriously, AMS is better than having a traditional publisher if you have the money to devote to it. I do, because I have a long series and if I get one hooked reader they buy 44 books. That means I can make enough money that the advertising makes me a profit. 

It's been a long 5 years. Feels a lot longer than that with 120 books published (most are novellas), but I'm finally in the sweet spot and getting a book traditionally published now would actually make me LESS MONEY. 

So no. Indie publishing is not dead. It's surpassing traditional publishing. Traditional Publishing is now the JV team...which a lot of people want to be on if they're in 6th grade and trying to climb the ranks...but Indie publishing is now the varsity team and audiobooks are the growing market. Print is a third tier, and ebooks are king. 

Things are changing, and the glut of books on Amazon IS NOT A PROBLEM. If you think the 'visibility tier' is around 100,000 books or so, it doesn't matter how many are in no-man's land. Whether it be another 100,000 or 5 million, unseen is unseen. So more added to unseen land don't matter. What matters is who is in visibility land. And EVERY NEW BOOK PUBLISHED gets on the NEWLY RELEASED LISTS and gets a MONTH OF VISIBILITY. 

That's how you dip your toe in visibility land. It doesn't last long, but you can use it to grow a reader base. And if you write shorter books, you get more months of visibility. 

Advertising is how you also get visibility, but you gotta pay for that. The newly released lists are free.

So, bottom line. KDP is great. Indie is the new varsity and traditional publishers are now the JV. But there is a HUGE LEARNING CURVE and that's what trips new people up.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Horatio. Can you give me the link for that please? I have something similar bookmarked on my iPad
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2