NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NHS is to ask all patients about their sexual orientation.

+2
eddie
Syl
6 posters

Go down

NHS is to ask all patients about their sexual orientation. Empty NHS is to ask all patients about their sexual orientation.

Post by Syl Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:18 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41625402

Is it a good thing, or totally irrelevant and an invasion of a persons privacy unless a person is seeking advice or treatment where sexuality is the key?

"NHS England recommends health professionals - such as GPs and nurses - ask about a person's sexual orientation at "every face to face contact with the patient, where no record of this data already exists".
But the Family Doctor Association said it was "potentially intrusive and offensive" for GPs to monitor people's sexuality.
Chairman Dr Peter Swinyard told the BBC that for older patients in particular, sexuality "doesn't affect health outcomes or care".
He said that GPs tend to know patients' sexuality, or would ask, if it was relevant to their medical condition.
For example, patients at a sexual health clinic are likely to be asked, but not those attending a wart clinic.
He added: "Given the precious short amount of time a GP has with a patient, sexuality is not relevant."
He said there were "relatively few medical conditions" that it affected."

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

NHS is to ask all patients about their sexual orientation. Empty Re: NHS is to ask all patients about their sexual orientation.

Post by eddie Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Well, most forms you sign now are optional as to whether you tick the box for nationality and sexual orientation. So why can't this be the same?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

NHS is to ask all patients about their sexual orientation. Empty Re: NHS is to ask all patients about their sexual orientation.

Post by Syl Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 pm

The NHS has never had a specific box to tick for sexual preference before.

On the BBC radio this morning the debate was whether it was appropriate, spokesman for the LGBT community thought it was a good move....others thought it was an invasion of privacy.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:16 pm

I think its daft. What does it matter, the treatment will still be the same whatever.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:31 am

magica wrote:I think its daft. What does it matter, the treatment will still be the same whatever.

the risks are slightly different, it does seem a waste of time for regular visits but makes sense for STD queries.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:29 pm

STD enquiries, sexual health enquiries, possible mental health issues, apart from that I don't see the point.
No one has to answer the question directly if its asked, and no one is forced to tick the box on the form, but everyone over 16 will be asked by the NHS to provide the info.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:54 pm

This PC business is going "over the top".
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:59 pm

What a fuss about nothing, any nhs trust that wants to can opt out. If you don't like it suggest you pick up the phone and tell the trust. Or how about getting active and organising a petition? Don't moan if you are too lazy to do anything about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Syl wrote:STD enquiries, sexual health enquiries, possible mental health issues, apart from that I don't see the point.
No one has to answer the question directly if its asked, and no one is forced to tick the box on the form, but everyone over 16 will  be asked by the NHS to provide the info.

Believe it or not I have to ask these questions of everyone deal with as part of my risk assessment. When someone has been burgled its hard to see what bearing their sexuality has. On the other hand if its an assault the persons race or sexuality may be a factor. Most people don't seem to mind it makes for some interesting conversations. We always make sure they know its optional too
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:07 pm

sassy wrote:What a fuss about nothing, any nhs trust that wants to can opt out.  If you don't like it suggest you pick up the phone and tell the trust.  Or how about getting active and organising a petition?  Don't moan if you are too lazy to do anything about it.

I neither like nor dislike it, but according to discussions I have heard some people do feel strongly about it.

Its just a thread put up for discussion...like every other.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
Syl wrote:STD enquiries, sexual health enquiries, possible mental health issues, apart from that I don't see the point.
No one has to answer the question directly if its asked, and no one is forced to tick the box on the form, but everyone over 16 will  be asked by the NHS to provide the info.

Believe it or not I have to ask these questions of everyone  deal with as part of my risk assessment. When someone has been burgled its hard to see what bearing their sexuality has. On the other hand if its an assault the persons race or sexuality may be a factor. Most people don't seem to mind it makes for some interesting conversations. We always make sure they know its optional too

I can actually see the point of asking in some circumstances Miffs.....and the NHS are introducing this (they say) in order to ensure that no one is discriminated against....that's a bit of skewed reasoning to me, because how can anyone be discriminated against for being GLTB if they haven't said so in the first place. scratch
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down