NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash

+6
'Wolfie
Vintage
Tommy Monk
HoratioTarr
eddie
Syl
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash - Page 2 Empty Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Dove has been forced to apologise after releasing a series of images appearing to show a black woman turning white in a Facebook advert accused of being “racist”.

The cosmetics company said it “deeply regret(s)” the offence caused, admitting the images “missed the mark”.

The advert shows a series of photographs in which a black woman pulls off her T-shirt to reveal a white woman underneath. Another image shows the white woman undressing to reveal an Asian woman. The images were shared by make up artist ‘Naythemua’, who commented on her post: “What does America tell black people... that we are judged by the color of our skin and that includes what is considered beautiful in this country... they believe lighter representations should be at the forefront... and that the darker you are the less beautiful.”
She added: “The tone deafness in these companies makes no sense.”

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash - Page 2 22310226_1662304177153273_4511175166792864139_n

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/dove-apologises-racist-facebook-advert_uk_59da2506e4b0f6eed350e39d?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash - Page 2 Empty Re: Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash

Post by Syl Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:31 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:Presumably you find this old advert racist as well??

Do you?

My opinion is it could certainly be seen as racist to many..(which it was)
Dove relies on people buying their products...its a bit stupid to alienate a good % of potential buyers by making insensitive (at best) deliberately provocative (probably) ads, not once but twice.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash - Page 2 Empty Re: Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:Presumably you find this old advert racist as well??

Do you?

Dove relies on people buying their products...its a bit stupid to alienate a good % of potential buyers by making insensitive (at best) deliberately provocative (probably) ads, not once but twice.

thats the problem

anything can be seen as racist these days.

you cant even call the blackboard a blackboard anymore because racism

is it actually racism???

i don't think it is

but your opinion carries more weight not because its more valid but because your team screams the loudest, its typical leftwing hate mob mentality that says the louder you scream the more justified you are

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:29 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

Do you?

thats the problem

is it actually racism???

i don't think it is

but your opinion carries more weight not because its more valid but because your team screams the loudest, its typical leftwing hate mob mentality that says the louder you scream the more justified you are  

My team? Rolling Eyes
A blackboard isn't a blackboard because they are no longer black.
I find picky pc stuff nonsense....but when something does look racist I will say so.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

thats the problem

is it actually racism???

i don't think it is

My team? Rolling Eyes
I find picky pc stuff nonsense....but when something does look racist I will say so.

yeah your team, the liberal hate mob that wants to tear everything it sees down in the name of tolerance and diversity

under whose authority do you say a thing is racist or it is acceptable??

im interested in what you think gives you the right to say "thats racist"

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

My team? Rolling Eyes

yeah your team, the liberal hate mob that wants to tear everything it sees down in the name of tolerance and diversity

Its called 'free speech' do you have a problem when anyone but yourself uses it?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:46 pm

someone else mentioned (cant remember who) that there is in fact very real nasty racism out there that should be addressed and called out but people going beserk over an advert which is not racist at all completely makes a mockery of the real victims of real racism imo

this is sick, we are going down a bad road with this nonsense

if Dove are saying that their product is good for all skin types then they show all skin types. If they choose to do so in a quirky fashion which changes skin colour as it goes along then,,,so effing what? that does not equal racism

they can't do right for doing wrong it seems. No matter what they do there will be some twat to scream racism at them and now they have been ''forced'' to apologise. they are probably completely baffled by this childish irrational reaction from what I sincerely hope is a minority of people

FFS!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:53 pm

gelico wrote:someone else mentioned (cant remember who) that there is in fact very real nasty racism out there that should be addressed and called out but people going beserk over an advert which is not racist at all completely makes a mockery of the real victims of real racism imo

if Dove are saying that their product is good for all skin types then they show all skin types.  If they choose to do so in a quirky fashion which changes skin colour as it goes along then,,,so effing what?  that does not equal racism

they can't do right for doing wrong it seems.  No matter what they do there will be some twat to scream racism at them and now they have been ''forced'' to apologise.  they are probably completely baffled by this childish irrational reaction from what I sincerely hope is a minority of people

FFS!

Well on this occasion I think I may be one of the twats you speak of. Razz

I suppose if you have grown up with a black skin and been made to feel inferior because your skin is dark, an ad like this....and the previous one, would just enforce the belief that white skin is better.

I think the advertising team at Dove if not deliberately racist....are pretty stupid.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Syl wrote:
gelico wrote:someone else mentioned (cant remember who) that there is in fact very real nasty racism out there that should be addressed and called out but people going beserk over an advert which is not racist at all completely makes a mockery of the real victims of real racism imo

if Dove are saying that their product is good for all skin types then they show all skin types.  If they choose to do so in a quirky fashion which changes skin colour as it goes along then,,,so effing what?  that does not equal racism

they can't do right for doing wrong it seems.  No matter what they do there will be some twat to scream racism at them and now they have been ''forced'' to apologise.  they are probably completely baffled by this childish irrational reaction from what I sincerely hope is a minority of people

FFS!

I suppose if you have grown up with a black skin and been made to feel inferior because your skin is dark, an ad like this....and the previous one, would just enforce the belief that white skin is better.

I think the advertising team at Dove if not deliberately racist....are pretty stupid.

but by whom and in what way. There is no way it would be allowed so I can't believe anyone would genuinely and justifiably feel that way

i'm pretty sure that the only black people who would take offence at something like that is the likes of weyman bennet and his ilk

otherwise i suspect it may well be white people who think they can speak on behalf of black people which is a fucking patronising liberty if you ask me

i suppose it does mean i'm including you but hey we cant agree on everything
Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:18 pm

Odd how nobody has perhaps viewed this as Dove simply saying we're all the fundamentally the same? It's like people are so bored and live such useless lives that they jump on the slightest perceived offence just for the drama of it.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Its obvious that people do see this from different perspectives.
I think the ad is awful for the reasons i said.....others think differently.
Dove have apologised....if they had not caused offence they wouldnt have had the misfortune of being in that position.
Maybe they will be more thoughtful in future.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 pm

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

but by whom and in what way.  There is no way it would be allowed so I can't believe anyone would genuinely and justifiably feel that way
i'm pretty sure that the only black people who would take offence at something like that is the likes of weyman bennet and his ilk

otherwise i suspect it may well be white people who think they can speak on behalf of black people which is a fucking patronising liberty if you ask me

Razz

Actually my friends here who are black and of Latina background have had in thepast, bars of soap thrown at them and told to wash off their “dirty skins”.

It’s real and it happens in a daily basis here. So yeah, I’m not fucking patronizing anybody.

I see what they are trying to say, about everybody being different in the outside but underneath we are all the same, but they could have done much better than this.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 pm

Cass wrote:
gelico wrote:

but by whom and in what way.  There is no way it would be allowed so I can't believe anyone would genuinely and justifiably feel that way

Razz

Actually my friends here who are black and of Latina background have had in thepast, bars of soap thrown at them and told to wash off their “dirty skins”.

It’s real and it happens in a daily basis here. So yeah, I’m not fucking patronizing anybody.

I see what they are trying to say, about everybody being different in the outside but underneath we are all the same, but they could have done much better than this.

Hava a alien for saying exactly what i feel.

I dont think its patronising to be empathetic to others......you dont actually have to walk tn someones shoes to feel that the crap they have to put up with is hurtful.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 pm

Cass wrote:
gelico wrote:

Razz

that's the sort of thing that I mean that needs to be stopped, not an innocent advert. far more important to call out the sort of behaviour you just mentioned.

um,,, I dont know if you think I was directing my remarks at you personally, I honestly wasn't, I was just talking in general

which I suppose means they weren't ''sensitive'' enough, or didn't give enough thought to what people might perceive as racist which is all very well but then it gives the impression that whatever advert or article anywhere may at some point inadvertently cause offence to anyone at any time, so what chance?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:57 am

Cass wrote:
gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

Razz

I had Mexican friends in school who were called (by black kids and white kids) "dirty white boy."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:20 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Cass wrote:

I had Mexican friends in school who were called (by black kids and white kids) "dirty white boy."

but kids under a certain age have no idea Ben.

When my daughter was at reception school she wanted a party for her 4th birthday and was at an age to choose her own guests who she wanted.

She made a list and we went through it

One of her guests was a little girl called Monique who was in fact the only black girl in her class. So it went

''Hmm, Jack, which one is Jack?''

''oh Jack is the one with all the stickers on his lunch box, mummy''

''oh, ok, so Daniel, which one is Daniel?''

''Daniel is the one who is covered in freckles''

''oh, ok, so Monique, which one is Monique''

''Monique is the one with all the pretty beads in her hair''

there is no real recognition of ''Monique is the one with the brown face''. It didn't even occur to her I'm sure, they just know the faces they like regardless of colour so they learn the nastiness along the way.

I also had to correct various of their friends who said ''paki shop''. I let them know it was not a word I liked and that it was, in fact, a sweet shop. Yet their parents from what I knew of them were perfectly nice, hardworking, helpful to all type of people yet seemingly saw nothing wrong with saying that.

See, when I was at school, a remark made which today would be considered a racist hate crime and may well end up with a 10 year old kid being reported to the police and suspended and the parents called in etc etc would have been dealt with by the teacher with a swift ''how dare you be so rude? don't you ever let me hear you speak like that again, not to anyone, do you understand?''

to which the answer would have been ''yes sir/miss, sorry, sir/miss''

they would have then been told to apologise to the offended child and there the matter would have ended

i certainly dont think that criminalising children for ignorance is the right way to go. nor to be banging on at companies because their adverts are deemed ''racist''

but i suppose i'm just old fashioned

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:15 am

FFS!

Rolling Eyes

What a load of crap...

You really don't have a clue, do you !?!
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 am

Idea

Re:  the O/P...

Seeing a totally fucked-up ad' from a totally fucked-up company, shows what a totally fucked-up advertising agency those fuckwits at Dove decided to accept this obnoxious advert' from...

And to think that those fuckwitted twonks are being paid mucho $$$$  for that pile of crap..

Right down the line, there must have been several wasted university educations that eventually culminated in that load of racially-insensitive horseshit  ?          afro
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:31 am

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

My team? Rolling Eyes

Exclamation

You are a racist troll,  through and through,  SmellyBumBandit...

So suck it up and own up to it like a man  --  and stop your snivelling denials like the cretinous little maggot that you are..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:42 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Idea

Seeing a totally fucked-up ad' from a totally fucked-up company, shows what a totally fucked-up advertising agency those fuckwits at Dove decided to accept this obnoxious advert' from...

And to think that those fuckwitted twonks are being paid mucho $$$$  for that pile of crap..

Right down the line, there must have been several wasted university educations that eventually culminated in that load of racially-insensitive horseshit  ?          afro

settle down now, wetwipe

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:54 am

gelico wrote:

settle down now, wetwipe

I think he makes a good point, bloody-wipe.  For decades the advertising industry has carried on what Trump has only recently brought to light.  You can lie with impunity, as long as you just smile and say, I was doing it for money..

Volkswagen pulls off the greatest fraud in the history of man--creating software falsifying emission standards--and the very next day Volkswagen is on the air telling us how wonderful they are. What outrageous testicles.  I thought at least they would take a week or two off, then come back and lie to us.  But the very next day!!

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:17 am

gelico wrote:

settle down now, wetwipe

Rolling Eyes

Fuck off with your empty Floptard_troll insults, you braindead old scrubber...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:04 am

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Its called 'free speech' do you have a problem when anyone but yourself uses it?

i dont care about your opinion syl, its mostly irrelevant to me

i do care about the fact that you think i need to respect and obey your opinion though

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:27 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

i do care about the fact that you think i need to respect and obey your opinion though

My opinion is obviously not irrelevant to you as you seem overly keen in dissecting many of my posts that more often than not differ greatly from yours.....thankfully.

I care about the respect of people I myself respect, which would count you out.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

My opinion is obviously not irrelevant to you as you seem overly keen in dissecting many of my posts, that more often than not differ greatly from yours.....thankfully.

you have a very large opinion of yourself

dont confuse me responding to you with me respecting your opinions.

if you do not want me to respond to you then your wish is my command

i will place on you the ignore list and you will no longer be bothered by me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:03 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

My opinion is obviously not irrelevant to you as you seem overly keen in dissecting many of my posts, that more often than not differ greatly from yours.....thankfully.

you have a very large opinion of yourself

dont confuse me responding to you with me respecting your opinions.

if you do not want me to respond to you then your wish is my command

i will place on you the ignore list and you will no longer be bothered by me.

The large opinion emits from you.....you are not one iota as clever as you think you are.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:21 pm

I don't think its racist, but I do think its ignorant to think Dove washes you so white you change colour.

I wonder who dreamed that little gem up.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:00 pm

magica wrote:I don't think its racist, but I do think its ignorant to think Dove washes you so white you change colour.

I'm not sure that's what they were going for.

I see it as they are saying that Dove is for everyone, I can see the creative team tearing their hair out at the stupidity of so many people

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:54 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
magica wrote:I don't think its racist, but I do think its ignorant to think Dove washes you so white you change colour.

I see it as they are saying that Dove is for everyone, I can see the creative team tearing their hair out at the stupidity of so many people

Rolling Eyes

No matter how hard you try to pretend otherwise, you still remain the slimiest little turd on this forum, SmellyBumTroll..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:01 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Rolling Eyes

No matter how hard you try to pretend otherwise,  you still remain the slimiest little turd on this forum,  SmellyBumTroll..

Sounds good to me wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Apparently they say they also made another ad where the white woman turned black......be damned if I can find it anywhere.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Syl wrote:

Apparently they say they also made another ad where the white woman turned black......be damned if I can find it anywhere.

Ok, so what is the point of these ads tbh Syl. They could've done a million other things, instead of this.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 pm

magica wrote:
Syl wrote:

Ok, so what is the point of these ads tbh Syl. They could've done a million other things, instead of this.

The only point I can see is to cause controversy, just as the Benetton ads have done in the past.

I do happen to think this ad, and the previous one I posted can be construed as racist.....if not why are both ads showing the dark colour as before and the light colour after?
They are just reinforcing the view that some people hold that pale skin is preferable to dark skin...which imo = racism.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:57 pm

The earlier ad.....seems Dove deliberately like to be controversial.
Their stuff is crap anyway.

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash - Page 2 DLjlrPUX0AAEzGN
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:00 pm

magica wrote:
Syl wrote:

whats so bad about them?? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:33 pm

I don't see the point in it tbh Smelly. Turning black into white is what I see. I'm not one who sees racism behind everything, but this isn't right imo.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:12 pm

magica wrote:I don't see the point in it tbh Smelly. Turning black into white is what I see. I'm not one who sees racism behind everything, but this isn't right imo.

"Turning black into white is what I see"

"I'm not one who sees racism behind everything"

if what you see is turning black into white, then im afraid you are seeing racism behind everything

do you honestly think the dove creative team sat down and said "lets make the most racist advert we can think of"

thats not how it works, an advert would go through several phases of evolution with oversight on oversight to ensure that the ad is perfect, there would be people analyzing every word in the ad and then researching what those words mean in other languages so as to avoid awkward linguistical mistakes.

i cannot believe that the entire dove team would have missed some racist angle on this.

this advert is not racist,the people watching it are

this is just another example of the left wing liberal hate mob screaming about racism in the shadows and you've been swept up in their hysteria

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Gels- sorry stupid phone not functioning with replies...

Both the behavior and thought process are part of the same problem and it’s impor to equally stamp it out, but sadly it won’t ever go away. Since the early days of humans, there have always been ones who view themselves superior to others.

You don’t understand, and neither do I because we’ve never had a bar of soap thrown at us have we? I’ve never been made to feel inferior as a white person, although most certainly as a woman. The advert was probably done in innocence but some trident think it all the way through. I certainly thought it was awful.

I know it wasn’t directed at me but I’m tired of people saying I’m patronizing others because I’m not the same as them when I try to be an ally to those who have been hurt.

I will be back later to answer more. Gotta get back to work xx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Cheers Syl x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2