NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smacking children.

+4
magica
HoratioTarr
Victorismyhero
Syl
8 posters

Go down

Smacking children. Empty Smacking children.

Post by Syl Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:09 pm

A big debate on local BBC Wales today hosted a phone in about should being able to smack your own child  be made illegal....the overwhelming majority of callers thought that smacking your own children SHOULD NOT be completely outlawed in the UK and Wales.

The law as it stands at the moment does not ban a parent smacking a child unless the smack is deemed to be 'unreasonable'.
Should the law be changed to make ALL smacking of children illegal?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2590006/smacking-children-law/
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Smacking children. Empty Re: Smacking children.

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:22 pm

I got a good clout a time or two (or three) ...stopped me going off the rails (well .....more or less)
and didnt turn me into an antisocial psycho (no really it didnt)
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I got a good clout a time or two (or three) ...stopped me going off the rails (well .....more or less)
and didnt turn me into an antisocial psycho (no really it didnt)

The presenter made the point that someone will always start a debate like this by saying exactly what you just did...I got the odd clot and it did me no harm. Razz

A bit unjust really I thought, because millions of people DID get clouted when they were kids and the proof is in the pudding.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:29 pm

the point is..you learned very quickly, that wrong doing had to say the least, uncomfortable consequences and THAT is what is missing today from the feral street vermin to the top of govt....

do wrong...there are no severe consequences

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Double post.

Last edited by Syl on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:39 pm

I smacked my son a handful of times....a short sharp slap on the leg, as a last resort did wonders...was I sorry afterwards, No, he deserved it, and once it stopped an expensive longed for holiday being ruined...one small slap, one holiday saved from his unreasonable behaviour...(he was around 12 at the time)

He doesn't resent the fact he got a very occasional smack, it certainly didn't harm our relationship either then or now.

And...a rare slap  given when all else fails is a MILLION times better than abuse being hurled at a child, which I see all too often nowadays, no doubt by parents who look down on any parent who has ever raised a hand to their child to deliver a tap or a small smack.

I have never ever smacked my grandchild or his brother.....times change, plus they have been more open to reason with.

Would I completely outlaw smacking....No.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:42 pm

Lord Foul wrote:the point is..you learned very quickly, that wrong doing had to say the least, uncomfortable consequences and THAT is what is missing today from the feral street vermin to the top of govt....

So do you think smacking children should remain legal in certain circumstances or be completely outlawed?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Syl wrote:A big debate on local BBC Wales today hosted a phone in about should being able to smack your own child  be made illegal....the overwhelming majority of callers thought that smacking your own children SHOULD NOT be completely outlawed in the UK and Wales.

The law as it stands at the moment does not ban a parent smacking a child unless the smack is deemed to be 'unreasonable'.

The people who smack their kids hard will do it whether there's a law or not. The type of person who does this usually doesn't give a shit.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:43 pm

What constitutes a smack? Most parents have slapped their kids legs or behind once or twice as a reprimand. But smacking? That can be hard or continual or border on beating.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Syl wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:the point is..you learned very quickly, that wrong doing had to say the least, uncomfortable consequences and THAT is what is missing today from the feral street vermin to the top of govt....

So do you think smacking children should remain legal in certain circumstances or be completely outlawed?

it should NOt be outlawed...

as said when you hear the foul mouthed abuse issueing forth from some of these so called mothers of today one has to wonder what, exactly they are trying to achieve.

as one woman said to her child ...stop that you f***in little bastard...to which my comment was, "well you would know that best dear"
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:02 pm

This nanny state is too soft on kids. Don't punish them, don't smack etc.

Did me no harm, I even had the ruler over my knuckles at school and hairbrush whacked on my leg. That's how it was then. So a little smack won't hurt any child today.

Kids know teachers have no power so don't respect them. I'm not saying they should have the ruler or cane, but harsher penalties, like no games if they enjoy that, lines which have been dropped. There's no punishment in schools, so some kids run wild.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:55 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:A big debate on local BBC Wales today hosted a phone in about should being able to smack your own child  be made illegal....the overwhelming majority of callers thought that smacking your own children SHOULD NOT be completely outlawed in the UK and Wales.

The people who smack their kids hard will do it whether there's a law or not.   The type of person who does this usually doesn't give a shit.

I agree, people who abuse their kids will do so no matter what.
This new law, if it does come in, will cause a lot more harm and disruption to normal families.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Syl wrote:

it should NOt be outlawed...

as said when you hear the foul mouthed abuse issueing forth from some of these so called mothers of today one has to wonder what, exactly they are trying to achieve.

as one woman said to her child ...stop that you f***in little bastard...to which my comment was, "well you would know that best dear"

I imagine verbal abuse causes a lot more long term damage to a child than the odd smack on the leg.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:03 am

magica wrote:This nanny state is too soft on kids. Don't punish them, don't smack etc.

Did me no harm, I even had the ruler over my knuckles at school and hairbrush whacked on my leg. That's how it was then. So a little smack won't hurt any child today.

Kids know teachers have no power so don't respect them. I'm not saying they should have the ruler or cane, but harsher penalties, like no games if they enjoy that, lines which have been dropped. There's no punishment in schools, so some kids run wild.

I never agreed with corporal punishment in schools....in my school both girls and boys could be caned.....some teachers were known to hurl wooden blackboard dusters at kids heads if they were not paying attention.
One woman I worked with had a permanent scar on her forehead from a flying missile aimed at her head from the teacher. Evil or Very Mad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:05 am

Yeah I had that many times, chalk too as many pupils did.

The one I didn't like was the heavy book smacked down on my head. We all copped that at sometime in school. That hurt.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:51 am

I watch some Police programs were young men are arrested and the comments and swearing at the Police and kicking and spitting makes me want to smack 'em in the mouth with a "bunch of fives" !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:59 am

magica wrote:Yeah I had that many times, chalk too as many pupils did.

The one I didn't like was the heavy book smacked down on my head. We all copped that at sometime in school. That hurt.

Yeah, I got beaten at school when I was eight. Really badly by a teacher nearly every day in front of the class. Me and this other boy. She would make a fist and punch you in the kidneys or beat you on the legs for a sustained period...at least 20 seconds while your whole body rocked. For some reason she targeted us two. She was a real beast. The misdemeanours ranged from talking in class to not getting your times table right all the way through. My stepfather went down after months of abuse and threatened to break her neck if she touched me again. She never did. At eight I was too scared to tell my mum because I thought it was my fault. But that's abuse for you. It wouldn't happen now, of course, but back then so much of it went on. It didn't really affect me at any great level but then I'm not the sort of person who dwells on stuff. Another child might have been badly affected mentally or psychologically.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:01 am

HoratioTarr wrote:

Yeah, I got beaten at school when I was eight.   Really badly by a teacher nearly every day in front of the class.   Me and this other boy.  She would make a fist and punch you in the kidneys or beat you on the legs for a sustained period...at least 20 seconds while your whole body rocked.    For some reason she targeted us two.   She was a real beast.  The misdemeanours ranged from talking in class to not getting your times table right all the way through.  My stepfather went down after months of abuse and threatened to break her neck if she touched me again.  She never did.   At eight I was too scared to tell my mum because I thought it was my fault.   But that's abuse for you.   It wouldn't happen now, of course, but back then so much of it went on.   It didn't really affect me at any great level but then I'm not the sort of person who dwells on stuff.   Another child might have been badly affected mentally or psychologically.    

Guess that was down to being gobby

Laughing

As to the story, don't buy a word of it.

Nothing but attention seeking story

Last edited by Thorin on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:02 am

nicko wrote:I watch some Police programs were young men are arrested and the comments and swearing at the Police and kicking and spitting makes me want to smack 'em in the mouth with a "bunch of fives" !

My ex worked the city centre,, and if anyone gave them bad abuse, they'd bundle them into the van and drive like maniacs round corners while the 'prisoner' banged and rolled around in the back. By the time they'd finished, all was quiet on the Western front.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:03 am

Rulers on knuckles. lol!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 am

Again its about boundaries and consequences and if people want to use light discipline, I see no problem

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:19 am

Thorin wrote:Again its about boundaries and consequences and if people want to use light discipline, I see no problem

I agree, but there will be a problem if the law is changed.
its just another step towards the nanny state...complete strangers telling parents how best to bring up their children.
There are already laws in place to charge parents who abuse.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:22 am

nicko wrote:I watch some Police programs were young men are arrested and the comments and swearing at the Police and kicking and spitting makes me want to smack 'em in the mouth with a "bunch of fives" !

I wonder if that still happens when the cameras stop rolling?
My dad was a detective...he occasionally  had sore knuckles, as did most of his copper mates, but that was back in the day.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 am

HoratioTarr wrote:

Yeah, I got beaten at school when I was eight.   Really badly by a teacher nearly every day in front of the class.   Me and this other boy.  She would make a fist and punch you in the kidneys or beat you on the legs for a sustained period...at least 20 seconds while your whole body rocked.    For some reason she targeted us two.   She was a real beast.  The misdemeanours ranged from talking in class to not getting your times table right all the way through.  My stepfather went down after months of abuse and threatened to break her neck if she touched me again.  She never did.   At eight I was too scared to tell my mum because I thought it was my fault.   But that's abuse for you.   It wouldn't happen now, of course, but back then so much of it went on.   It didn't really affect me at any great level but then I'm not the sort of person who dwells on stuff.   Another child might have been badly affected mentally or psychologically.    

That's disgusting, I hope she met her match one day.

I vividly recall when I first started school, one girl wouldn't stop crying...I can still remember her name, she was a timid little girl who seemed very scared of everything.
After a few mornings of this the teacher, a woman, snapped and slapped her. The girls mother had lingered behind to see if the girl settled, and through a window she saw her child being slapped, she barged in and whacked the teacher hard.

We all sat there watching in wonderment...it gave us all an exciting first week at primary school. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I vividly recall when I first started school, one girl wouldn't stop crying...I can still remember her name, she was a timid little girl who seemed very scared of everything.
After a few mornings of this the teacher, a woman, snapped and slapped her. The girls mother had lingered behind to see if the girl settled, and through a window she saw her child being slapped, she barged in and whacked the teacher hard.

We all sat there watching in wonderment...it gave us all an exciting first week at primary school. Laughing

It's very satisfying that, isn't it? Seeing bullies get their karma.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 pm

It is....and I believe most bullies meet their match eventually.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:51 am

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Based on these posts I think it should be outlawed
while generally I think a slap on the legs is ok
they sort of prove the point that you cant actually trust people to not abuse it.
if the grey area is going to allow child abusers then it has to be made balk and white Suspect

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am

and of course veya THAT kind of thinking is what has led to the "feral youth" of today

you cant trust people not to abuse alcohol...so ban it?
you cant trust people not to abuse religion...so ban it?
etc etc etc ...

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:33 am

I suggest 10 whippings with a bicycle chain, [ works wonders]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:27 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:

they sort of prove the point that you cant actually trust people to not abuse it.
if the grey area is going to allow child abusers then it has to be made balk and white  Suspect

Corporal punishment in schools was banned years ago Veya....me and HT are talking about when we went to school in the 18 hundreds. What a Face
At present parents can still 'reasonably' discipline their children with a smack....this is now under debate though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:35 pm

"In the 18 hundreds"?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:26 pm

She's older than she admits Nick Twisted Evil

lol!
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Twas a joke...everyone knows me and HT are in our prime. Smacking children. 3201073460
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Syl wrote:Twas a joke...everyone knows me and HT are in our prime. Smacking children. 3201073460

Damn right Syl....   Laughing 

Smacking children. Giphy

lol!

Sorry I really could not resist

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:Twas a joke...everyone knows me and HT are in our prime. Smacking children. 3201073460

Smacking children. Giphy

lol!

Haha...love it.you are as old as you feel...and she must be about 18. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Smacking children. Giphy

lol!

Haha...love it.you are as old as you feel...and she must be about 18. Laughing

Indeed Syl..  Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Speaking of acting your age...coming home the other day, top down, CD on loud (The best of the Eagles) hair blowing in the hot breeze....grandson sat in the back moaning that the music is too loud and its too windy. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:36 am

Syl wrote:Speaking of acting your age...coming home the other day, top down, CD on loud (The best of the Eagles) hair blowing in the hot breeze....grandson sat in the back moaning that the music is too loud and its too windy. Rolling Eyes

Kid's gotta learn respect for quality...

Only the cut you were listening to had an added track, with Eric Weissberg on a Gibson 5-string banjo, played in the middle, and ending riffs.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:54 am

Syl wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:

if the grey area is going to allow child abusers then it has to be made balk and white  Suspect

Corporal punishment in schools was banned years ago Veya....me and HT are talking about when we went to school in the 18 hundreds.  What a Face  
At present parents can still 'reasonably' discipline their children with a smack....this is now under debate though.

I know that, making it so teachers couldn't hit kids has greatly reduced the instances of abuse by teachers, banning parents for striking their kids too should in theory have the same effect.

although i do think a smack on the legs is fine, it is more about removing a loophole that can be exploited by abusive parents
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:13 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:

Corporal punishment in schools was banned years ago Veya....me and HT are talking about when we went to school in the 18 hundreds.  What a Face  

I know that, making it so teachers couldn't hit kids has greatly reduced the instances of abuse by teachers, banning parents for striking their kids too should in theory have the same effect.

although i do think a smack on the legs is fine, it is more about removing a loophole that can be exploited by abusive parents  

It was good to see the end of kids being hit in school, thinking back to my schooldays I think some teachers positively enjoyed caning kids.

I agree that a smack or a tap on the hand or legs has its place as a last resort when disciplining kids.
I suppose there will always be some moronic parents that cant distinguish between a smack and a thump...or worse.
But I doubt any law will stop real abuse, and we do already have laws in place to charge parents who go too far.
Sadly oftentimes its done in secret....I doubt that will change.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:01 pm

Being caned at my school seemed to be a badge of honour. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Being caned at my school seemed to be a badge of honour. Laughing

Did you ever get the cane? I didn't...though once the whole class was lined up to be caned because the teacher couldn't cope...I think someone intervened...anyway, it didn't happen.
In my secondary school, if someone had been really bad they would be caned in front of the whole school at assembly.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Being caned at my school seemed to be a badge of honour. Laughing

Did you ever get the cane? I didn't...though once the whole class was lined up to be caned because the teacher couldn't cope...I think someone intervened...anyway, it didn't happen.
In my secondary school, if someone had been really bad they would be caned in front of the whole school at assembly.

No, it was reserved for the boys. Razz
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Re smacking children...whether people agree or not something has to replace this sort of discipline.

This week in the papers police report children as young as FOUR years old have been found carrying knives, and last night in Manchester a 16 year old boy was arrested re the murder of a a 34 year old father.

Recently the 5 acid attacks in London were carried out by two boys aged 15 and 15.

The teen lovers who stabbed the girls mother and sister to death last year were 14.

Kids as young as 7 are 'sexting' one another.

Every day some young teen is in the papers for some hideous crime or another.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

No, it was reserved for the boys. Razz

Nowadays that would be considered sexual discrimination. Twisted Evil
In our school the boys could be caned on their backside or their hand...the girls it was just on the hand.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down