NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should we finally make smacking children illegal?

5 posters

Go down

Should we finally make smacking children illegal? Empty Should we finally make smacking children illegal?

Post by Syl Tue May 24, 2016 6:06 pm

Smacking children should be made illegal in the UK, a panel of experts told the United Nations yesterday.
In England and Wales parents can carry out 'reasonable chastisement', but face prosecution if a child suffers bruising, cuts or scratches. In Scotland parents can lodge a defence of "justifiable assault"!!

A spokesperson for the NSPCC said smacking is not the best way to resolve problems and improve behaviour in children.

Is it time the UK banned the parental right of chastising children by smacking?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/make-smacking-children-illegal-call-8035314

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Should we finally make smacking children illegal? Empty Re: Should we finally make smacking children illegal?

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2016 6:37 pm

OMG, this is a tough one; I'm always torn about such issues.
When is 'BIG BROTHER' government looking over our shoulder - peering into our private lives enough?
Granted, there are - will always be those humans that are just so deviant that going far beyond the 'proper mode' of any discipline is too far - and those that don't do any and allow their urchins to run amuck and shouldn't be taken out into any public setting, period.

My parents & grandparents were #1 time warnings provided and then - YOUR ASS WAS GOING TO GET A SWAT ...dad you always could count on 2 swats.
1 to get your attention since you didn't listen the first time
2nd swat was to be sure that this bad habit event wasn't repeated - EVER

Mom was more apt to swing at you with whatever she had in her hand at the moment: hand/wooden spoon/broom/yard rake/rolled up news paper/fly swatter. 

I lived to tell the tale; compare notes with other 'baby boomer' aged kids and retell to my grandkids - whom I've never touched/swatted/spanked - EVER. 
I just don't think that our government - your government should be dictating how we raise our children; don't our officials have enough to do.  And besides aren't there laws on our books now, that cover those rare - stupid humans that torture & abuse children?

Back to top Go down

Should we finally make smacking children illegal? Empty Re: Should we finally make smacking children illegal?

Post by eddie Tue May 24, 2016 8:23 pm

I used to get hit by my dad when I was told off, and all I remember was hating him for it. It's just a form of shutting someone up because you lost your temper with them.

Smacking is never ok, never.

We don't need to smack, we don't really need to shout (I know we do) because when we deal with other adults we don't do any of these things - and if we do, that other person is shocked and says "don't hit/shout at me!!"

And what age do we stop hitting them? 11....13....16th birthday?

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Tue May 24, 2016 8:28 pm

eddie wrote:I used to get hit by my dad and all I remember was hating him for it. It's just a form of shutting someone up because you lost your temper with them.

Smacking is never ok, never.

We don't need to smack, we don't really need to shout (I know we do) because when we deal with other adults we don't do any of these things - and if we do, that other person is shocked and says "don't hit/shout at me!!"

And what age do we stop hitting them? 11....13....16th birthday?
Never, they should be beaten daily just on the off chance they may do something wrong.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue May 24, 2016 8:30 pm

Hahahahahaha made me chuckle alien
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue May 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Syl wrote:Smacking children should be made illegal in the UK, a panel of experts told the United Nations yesterday.
In England and Wales parents can carry out 'reasonable chastisement', but face prosecution if a child suffers bruising, cuts or scratches. In Scotland parents can lodge a defence of "justifiable assault"!!

A spokesperson for the NSPCC said smacking is not the best way to resolve problems and improve behaviour in children.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/make-smacking-children-illegal-call-8035314

You don't need to smack kids. You just need to firm and consistent in saying 'no' and not overindulge them. Children like routine, it makes them feel safe.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2016 10:44 pm

Stormee wrote:Sitting on the norty step is a complete fiasco, failure, not working, just look at forums to see it, uncouth, ill manned, dirty mouths, liars.

Wop the little bleeduz I say.
LOL ...echo's from my grand father.  

But would you not agree, that all children are uniquely different, and what firm scolding will put one child into a complete melt down might not have the same reaction and long term memory impact for another No  
Sibling order . gender placement - mental growth - social awareness is also an important player!
My older siblings always stated; you younger kids got away with MURDER - there's some truth to that, having raised 6 kids my parents wore out quickly  Should we finally make smacking children illegal? 202592697

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed May 25, 2016 10:01 am

I smacked my own son less than a handful of times. Short sharp slap on the leg worked in extreme cases......once he was totally ruining a holiday abroad with his bad behaviour, around 4 days in, when we were ready to come home it was so bad, one smack worked....an hours sulking, then the rest of the holiday was great...so imo in extreme cases, (the shock value worked on my own son) it's not a bad thing.

My grandson has never been smacked, not by me or anyone else. He is a different character altogether (my son was hyperactive) smacking has never ever been an option.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed May 25, 2016 10:07 am

4EVER2 wrote:OMG, this is a tough one; I'm always torn about such issues.
When is 'BIG BROTHER' government looking over our shoulder - peering into our private lives enough?
Granted, there are - will always be those humans that are just so deviant that going far beyond the 'proper mode' of any discipline is too far - and those that don't do any and allow their urchins to run amuck and shouldn't be taken out into any public setting, period.

My parents & grandparents were #1 time warnings provided and then - YOUR ASS WAS GOING TO GET A SWAT ...dad you always could count on 2 swats.
1 to get your attention since you didn't listen the first time
2nd swat was to be sure that this bad habit event wasn't repeated - EVER

Mom was more apt to swing at you with whatever she had in her hand at the moment: hand/wooden spoon/broom/yard rake/rolled up news paper/fly swatter. 

I lived to tell the tale; compare notes with other 'baby boomer' aged kids and retell to my grandkids - whom I've never touched/swatted/spanked - EVER. 
I just don't think that our government - your government should be dictating how we raise our children; don't our officials have enough to do.  And besides aren't there laws on our books now, that cover those rare - stupid humans that torture & abuse children?

I agree about the big brother aspect of it all. Total strangers telling you how you MUST deal with your own children.
I'm sure the parents who lose their tempers and lash out at their kids will carry on doing so, the ones who scream and swear in their kids faces (far more harmful imo than a tap on the hand or a quick smack on the bum) will carry on doing so too.

I'm undecided on whether smacking should be made illegal......my instinct says probably not.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed May 25, 2016 10:14 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:Smacking children should be made illegal in the UK, a panel of experts told the United Nations yesterday.

You don't need to smack kids.  You just need to firm and consistent in saying 'no' and not overindulge them.   Children like routine, it makes them feel safe.

Every child is different though....what works on what may not work on another.
I think a short sharp slap on the hand, leg, or bottom IS sometimes, in rare cases the best, easiest and quickest way to stop bad behaviour.
It obviously has no benefit if it's the first port of call and done all the time, but from my own experience I know it works.

My son only vaguely remembers the holiday smack, he was about 10 or 11, what he does remember is the fabulous holiday we had afterwards.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2016 12:02 pm

I can well remember those unfortunate women that bought into the 'Dr. Spock' books on how to train your child. 
While much of Dr. Spock's advice is still followed today, some has been replaced and even discredited. A notable example is his 1958 call to put babies to sleep on their stomachs. His reasoning was that if a baby were to vomit, he would be more likely to choke on the vomit if placed on his back. It's a legitimate concern, but an even bigger danger than choking is SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). Later research showed that stomach-sleeping is one of the major causes of SIDS, and these deaths are greatly reduced when infants sleep on their backs. The stomach-sleeping philosophy was a part of Dr. Spock's advice for some years after studies began to render it suspect. While later editions of Baby and Child Care no longer advocate stomach-sleeping, the bad advice took its toll on Spock's reputation as an infallible expert.
He had more serious 'MISSES' then he did for his common sense approach for more hugs and less beatings!
Well, if all children were 'cookie cutter mentality', like say training canines' or equine {animals} to do something we humans desired them to do ...but human babies - toddlers - teenager years are most defiantly NOT COOKIE CUTTER and a 'one size' method for discipline will never work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed May 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Sometimes official advice is dangerous even deadly.

When I had my own son NHS advice was to swaddle your baby at night  to make him feel safe....later swaddling (snuggly wrapping the baby  completely in a blanket arms at the side) was blamed for babies overheating which was thought to have caused some cot deaths.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Syl wrote:Sometimes official advice is dangerous even deadly.

When I had my own son NHS advice was to swaddle your baby at night  to make him feel safe....later swaddling (snuggly wrapping the baby  completely in a blanket arms at the side) was blamed for babies overheating which was thought to have caused some cot deaths.

Isn't that the truth; and our culture isn't what it once was ...if the native Americans wrapped their babies up as a 'papoose' and placed them in those 'cradle boards' while they went about their daily chores - baby was kept close for feedings/changing and attention.    
Should we finally make smacking children illegal? Cradleboard14  Should we finally make smacking children illegal? Cradleboard15 Should we finally make smacking children illegal? Cradleboard8
There was movement and a rhythm to the sensation that the baby was feeling ...the baby wasn't left to just lay there all swaddled up like a CACOON unable to stretch the extremities' and feel something going on. 
It's always amazed me how some women justified that 'swaddle' by stating that the baby is constricted in the WOMB; Right...those babies kick their legs/move those arms and will give that bladder of ours a well placed kick or punch and that's NOT movement? Rolling Eyes Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed May 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Central heating and homes with no fresh air, and too much insulating is more likely to be at fault. I was swaddled and so were all my siblings. I did the same with my child.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 25, 2016 5:00 pm

Both my children hated being wrapped up.

A lot of mums have a tendency toward over-dressing babies IMO
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2016 5:59 pm

eddie wrote:Both my children hated being wrapped up.

A lot of mums have a tendency toward over-dressing babies IMO
Thankfully, we've had medical researchers doing studies on the largest cultures that have been doing this 'swaddling' practice for many generations; the results were pretty amazing!  For the Asian culture for their nutritional standards/eating habits to have such a history of hip dysplasia/hip to knee joint pain problems at early onset ages the ancient practice of swaddling became a focus and in depth study.

Expert Warns of the Dangers of Swaddling Infants
The ancient practice soothes infants—but also has risks.

By Sandy Hingston  |  October 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm

It was good enough for Jesus, as the coming holiday season reminds us—not to mention Prince George, who got his first intro to the public wrapped in a white muslin version by Brooklyn’s own Aden + Anais brand. The swaddling blanket has become haute bébé couture, with new moms from Sandra Bullock to Beyoncé pledging allegiance to the ancient practice of tightly wrapping infants from head to toe—albeit in au courant versions of swaddling blankets from companies like Little Giraffe, Munchkin and Summer Infant. The soothing technique has undergone a major revival; nine out of 10 American infants now get the wrap treatment in their first six months of life. Evidence has shown it reduces crying and colic and helps lull babies to sleep.

But a British pediatric orthopedic surgeon has stepped forward to warn that new studies show baby-bundling can have a serious downside.
In an article in the Archives of Disease in Childhood, Southampton University Hospital professor Nicholas Clarke writes that because swaddling straightens the legs and shifts the hips forward, it increases the chance your baby’s hips will become misaligned (a condition known as hip dysplasia) and may heighten the risk of osteoarthritis—and the need for hip replacement—later in life.

An educational campaign in Japan that warned grandmothers not to swaddle grandchildren cut the incidence of hip dislocation in infants in half.
Swaddling can be safe, so long as baby-wrappers take care not to wind blankets so tightly that legs can’t bend up and out at the hips. And any swaddling product you buy should include a pouch for your baby’s feet and legs, leaving them free to move. So keep on wrapping, but not too tightly, please.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2013/10/29/expert-warns-dangers-swaddling-infants/#uejmVHSk275Ube7f.99

I suppose, it's like anything ...a little goes a long ways and too tight - to often is just to much for a healthy baby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed May 25, 2016 6:11 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

Central heating and homes with no fresh air, and too much insulating is more likely to be at fault.   I was swaddled and so were all my siblings.  I did the same with my child.
All those factors most likely contribute.
No offence but when you and your siblings were swaddled, central heating and double glazing were not standard in many homes as they are today.

I can think of nothing worse than being tied up tightly without the freedom  to flail about and cool off.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down