NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parents warned as teen dies after drinking three high-caffeine drinks

4 posters

Go down

Parents warned as teen dies after drinking three high-caffeine drinks Empty Parents warned as teen dies after drinking three high-caffeine drinks

Post by Guest Tue May 16, 2017 12:22 pm

A 16-year-old boy who collapsed and died at school in South Carolina last month was killed by a cardiac event brought on by drinking too much caffeine, a coroner has concluded.

In the two hours before he collapsed in class at Spring Hill High School, Davis Allen Cripe had drunk a  caffè latte, a large Diet Mountain Dew and an energy drink. 

It is thought that the high quantity of caffeine, consumed in a short period of time, brought on cardiac arrhythmia, whereby abnormal electric activity which makes the heart beat fast and irregularly, potentially affecting the brain, heart and other organs.
Davis collapsed just before 2.30pm on April 26, and was pronounced dead 70 minutes later. An autopsy found that he had been healthy with  no undiagnosed heart conditions, and had no drugs or alcohol in his system.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/parents-warned-teen-dies-drinking-three-high-caffeine-drinks/

Back to top Go down

Parents warned as teen dies after drinking three high-caffeine drinks Empty Re: Parents warned as teen dies after drinking three high-caffeine drinks

Post by eddie Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 pm

These drinks shouldn't be sold. Period.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Parents warned as teen dies after drinking three high-caffeine drinks Empty Re: Parents warned as teen dies after drinking three high-caffeine drinks

Post by Raggamuffin Tue May 16, 2017 5:36 pm

There is a push to make it illegal to sell energy drinks to anyone under 16, but the boy was 16 anyway. I didn't know Mountain Dew contained caffeine, not that I'm a fan of soft drinks anyway. These energy drinks should carry a large warning on them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 16, 2017 5:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:There is a push to make it illegal to sell energy drinks to anyone under 16, but the boy was 16 anyway. I didn't know Mountain Dew contained caffeine, not that I'm a fan of soft drinks anyway. These energy drinks should carry a large warning on them.

The thing to take into consideration here is what risk are we talking about here to children?

I kind of agree they should not be sold to anyone under 16, but I doubt the risks to people are high at all and sadly this boy was just unlucky he was so badly effected by this. However sadly this case should be a reminder to people to have anything in moderation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue May 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:There is a push to make it illegal to sell energy drinks to anyone under 16, but the boy was 16 anyway. I didn't know Mountain Dew contained caffeine, not that I'm a fan of soft drinks anyway. These energy drinks should carry a large warning on them.

The thing to take into consideration here is what risk are we talking about here to children?

I kind of agree they should not be sold to anyone under 16, but I doubt the risks to people are high at all and sadly this boy was just unlucky he was so badly effected by this. However sadly this case should be a reminder to people to have anything in moderation.

Yes, I think he must have had an unusual reaction, but it depends on how large the energy drink was - it doesn't state that. Energy drinks can make people a bit hyper, which might affect them more if they're young.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Yes, I think he must have had an unusual reaction, but it depends on how large the energy drink was - it doesn't state that. Energy drinks can make people a bit hyper, which might affect them more if they're young.

I kind of agree and why I swing more to them having them banned from being sold to anyone under 16.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue May 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I kind of agree and why I swing more to them having them banned from being sold to anyone under 16.

Yes, or even 18. Some shops voluntarily refuse to sell them to anyone under that age.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Yes, or even 18. Some shops voluntarily refuse to sell them to anyone under that age.

This has some more info Rags.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-much-caffeine-is-safe-teen-dies-after-drinking-caffeinated-drinks-too-quickly_uk_591afbdfe4b05dd15f0b3985?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue May 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-much-caffeine-is-safe-teen-dies-after-drinking-caffeinated-drinks-too-quickly_uk_591afbdfe4b05dd15f0b3985?utm_hp_ref=uk

Thank you.

It's so easy to drink too much caffeine really. Tea has caffeine in it too.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue May 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Thank you.

true, but its bound to the tannin and thus less available to your body when you drink tea....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed May 17, 2017 10:59 am

I'm going to call out some preexisting heart defect
I know people and myself that have consume much vaster quantities, my brother once had 17 energy drinks at a music festival, even i have had like 6 to 8 'serves' of caffeine at work on a 'hard day'
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed May 17, 2017 11:02 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Thank you.

while that is true and it even has more caffeine than coffee per gram
you consume very little teas seeping a couple of grams of tea leaves compared to espressoing 10 plus grams of coffee
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down