NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside

4 posters

Go down

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Empty This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside

Post by Guest Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:29 pm

When architect Ricardo Bofill stumbled upon an abandoned cement factory in 1973, he saw enormous potential. The factory, located in Catalonia, Spain, was built during World War I but it was still in decent shape.

"We found enormous silos, a tall smoke stack, four kilometres of underground tunnels, machine rooms in good shape," Bofill wrote on his website. "This was in 1973 and it was our first encounter with the Cement Factory."

Almost 45 years later, the structure has been completely transformed into a spectacular and unique home.

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  W5pla-cement-factory-home-1
Photo credit: Ricardo Bofill

"Seduced by the contradictions and the ambiguity of the place, we quickly decided to retain the factory, and modifying its original brutality, sculpt it like a work of art."

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  W3lx2-cement-factory-home-2

"Presently I live and work here better than anywhere else. It is for me the only place where I can concentrate and associate ideas in the most abstract manner."

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Nqu29-cement-factory-home-3

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Mfj04-cement-factory-home-4

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Q663v-cement-factory-home-5

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Nfs3o-cement-factory-home-6

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  C8v3d-cement-factory-home-7

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  A92af-cement-factory-home-8

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Vztkz-cement-factory-home-9

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  O2lte-cement-factory-home-10

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Pfkuc-cement-factory-home-11

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Go5wk-cement-factory-home-12

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Aract-cement-factory-home-13

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Vn3e0-cement-factory-home-14

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Uv1yf-cement-factory-home-15

(h/t). Read more about the factory on www.RicardoBofill.com.

Read more at http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/2034/This-Guy-Transformed-An-Abandoned-Cement-Factory-Into-A-Home-Wait-Till-You-See-Inside#VDrDO0r4fK7FikvI.99

Back to top Go down

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Empty Re: This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside

Post by eddie Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Some of the interior is too modern for me, but I love the actual building and layout.
What a cool place to sit and get creative, pissed and throw a party.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  Empty Re: This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside

Post by Guest Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:27 pm

eddie wrote:Some of the interior is too modern for me, but I love the actual building and layout.

I love it Eddie and I think its stunning.
The landscaping is beautiful as well, what a view to have. Laughing

lol, I wonder how much its worth?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Thorin wrote:
eddie wrote:Some of the interior is too modern for me, but I love the actual building and layout.

The landscaping is beautiful as well, what a view to have.  Laughing

Well, put it this way didge, if it's only £100 I'll go halves with you cheers
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:31 pm

eddie wrote:
Thorin wrote:

The landscaping is beautiful as well, what a view to have.  Laughing

Well, put it this way didge, if it's only £100 I'll go halves with you cheers

Deal... Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:58 pm

wow could live in that looks ace Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Wow!  Looks like a great place.  And Barcelona, along with Zaragoza, is my favorite place.

Thx for sharing that find, didge.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:39 pm

What a Face

Imagine the heating and cooling costs...

And the cleaners' bills..

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  1399249160
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Original Quill wrote:Wow!  Looks like a great place.  And Barcelona, along with Zaragoza, is my favorite place.

Thx for sharing that find, didge.

Glad you enjoyed Quill, would clearly love to have a place like that.... Laughing

@Wolf, I agree the bills must be astronomical, but clearly the owner has plenty of money

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:50 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:What a Face

This Guy Transformed An Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Home. Wait Till You See Inside  1399249160

Clearly he is minted. Smile  He can afford the running costs. He can probably get grade 1 'listed' status for the building - that should entitle him to all sorts of grants and concessions. He can also open sections of the building to public visits. He'll generate a decent income from that ... and from music festivals and as a wedding venue.

He is clearly an imaginative sort, he'll work out a way to afford running costs. Or he can lease it to the govt - one of the wealthiest dukes in the country, the duke of westminster did something similar. He put a large chunk of his burgeoning properties and land into a govt trust and he gets a large income from that, yet retains full use of them. And unlike lesser mortals his relatives won't have to pay any inheritance tax when he passes, he gets exemption.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Jules wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:What a Face

Clearly he is minted. Smile  He can afford the running costs. He can probably get grade 1 'listed' status for the building - that should entitle him to all sorts of grants and concessions. He can also open sections of the building to public visits. He'll generate a decent income from that ... and from music festivals and as a wedding venue.

He is clearly an imaginative sort, he'll work out a way to afford running costs. Or he can lease it to the govt - one of the wealthiest dukes in the country, the duke of westminster did something similar. He put a large chunk of his burgeoning properties and land into a govt trust and he gets an large income from that, yet retains full use of it. And unlike lesser mortals his relatives won't have to pay any inheritance tax when he passes.

Wow, well off topic and getting very political there Jules
I don't begrudge anyone what they inherit, good luck to them.
Some things are wrong in the world and we should speak about them, but for example those who will benefit from the death of the Duke are not to blame for this. The system is what is wrong.

Anyway, this is a nice thread about how someone creative spent decades to bring something out of ruin, into a work of art. Lets keep the politics out of this.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Thorin wrote:When architect Ricardo Bofill stumbled upon an abandoned cement factory in 1973, he saw enormous potential. The factory, located in Catalonia, Spain, was built during World War I but it was still in decent shape.

Thank you for this, Thorin. It is indeed a thing of beauty, fecking gorgeous!  I so enjoyed looking at it all.  As a hobby I collect pics of unusual buildings  (brand new ones and refurbishments).

I love all the greenery, it cancels out the harsh metallic sheen and softens the silhouette too. Greenery & bricks - that's like matter & antimatter in the way they cancel each out. The interior is lovely too.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:05 am

Thorin wrote:
Jules wrote:

He is clearly an imaginative sort, he'll work out a way to afford running costs. Or he can lease it to the govt - one of the wealthiest dukes in the country, the duke of westminster did something similar. He put a large chunk of his burgeoning properties and land into a govt trust and he gets an large income from that, yet retains full use of it. And unlike lesser mortals his relatives won't have to pay any inheritance tax when he passes.

Some things are wrong in the world and we should speak about them, but for example those who will benefit from the death of the Duke are not to blame for this. The system is what is wrong.

Anyway, this is a nice thread about how someone creative spent decades to bring something out of ruin, into a work of art. Lets keep the politics out of this.

Thanks

Getting political wasn't my intention at all. If I wanted to criticise the political system I'd have made a separate thread. I was just answering Wolfie to say that there are several ways to get help with the running costs of large buildings.

In fact if you had waited to see my next post (above) you'd have seen that I promptly returned back on topic and in fact I am full of admiration with the work that this designer has done.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:08 am

Jules wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Thanks

Getting political wasn't my intention at all. If I wanted to criticise the political system I'd have made a separate thread. I was just answering Wolfie to say that there are several ways to get help with the running costs of large buildings.

In fact if you had waited to see my next post (above) you'd have seen that I promptly returned back on topic and in fact I am full of admiration with the work that this designer has done.

Sorry Jules you did get political and to make a point and are now attempting to continue this.
Why not lead with your second post?
Because you dislike certain situations. I get that, but it was not warranted here on this thread
I am just saying, some threads dont need to be a platform for politics

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14 am

I doubt if a one off post to reply about running costs will detract from the magnificent work this man did but anyway point taken.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:18 am

Jules wrote:I doubt if a one off post to reply about running costs will detract from the magnificent work this man did but anyway point taken.

Did not mean to come across harsh Jules, was not my intent
You have a right to air your views

Sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:38 am

No probs, Thorin. Laughing

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:01 am

Wonderful pics, Thor. I love creativity, as you know. This place is so imaginative.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down