NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Do So Many Australians Move to London?

+5
veya_victaous
ALLAKAKA
scrat
Vintage
Beekeeper
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why Do So Many Australians Move to London? Empty Why Do So Many Australians Move to London?

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:38 pm

It's Australia Day this weekend. And some of the biggest gatherings of antipodeans will be happening right here in London. It's become a second home to many young Aussies. But why? What is it about this city that draws so many of us in when we so readily revel in tormenting the English cricket team? How can we declare our love, when we proudly declare that our lifestyle of balmy weather and beaches is to be envied by London Brits who covet grey skies and enduring winters? 
In the short video below, the love Aussies have for the city is explored as one expat who is getting ready to depart, reflects on why she fell in love with London and why so many of her Australian friends feel the same. As you follow Rebecca's interview you'll see she really struggles with a definitive answer, and it shows that perhaps it's simply just a feeling that has so many of us hooked.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/emily-verdouw/australians-in-london_b_4647418.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Why Do So Many Australians Move to London? Empty Re: Why Do So Many Australians Move to London?

Post by Vintage Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Beekeeper wrote:Cool 

"SO MANY" Australians, is it now ???

Have any of those faux journo's who feed these rumours, on their annual "bash the Aussies" fest ~ largely fuelled this year by the Pom's scoring their RECORD WORST EVER summer of Cricket defeats ~ ever bothered to work out the actual % of Aussies that a few thousand working visas adds up to ??

AND no doubt the favourable exchange rates these days encourages the Aussies to "make hay while the sun shines", whilst exploiting the current state of the British economy..   cheers 

AND why is it that the average Aussie working in the old Blighty returns to Oz within a decade ?   sunny

If you notice it said "so many of us"
I don't believe its some kind of attack as you seem to think.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Why Do So Many Australians Move to London? Empty Re: Why Do So Many Australians Move to London?

Post by scrat Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Estimates published by the Office for National Statistics suggest that, in 2009, the number of Australians who lived in London (mainly in south-west London with sizeable communities in Earl's Court, Kensington, Hammersmith, Fulham, Shepherds Bush and Putney) stood at 118,000. These are Australians who have become residents or citizens of the United Kingdom, students and temporary workers from Australia who live in the UK.,,,,,,

The motherland is still a magnet for youth and aspiration, especially to those of the Empire, one must remember that education and tourism is a big buck earner for the UK, the London Labour Olympics saved the economy in 2012.

Blighty shines where other nations barely flicker and nothing on the face of this planet shines like London, the capital of the known universe!
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Yes,,,there was a time when 0.5% was considered such a paltry amount, of course these days 0.5% is a massive figure, and 118,000 is a strong number, bigger than UK land forces, and all these Aussie chaps and chapesses are returning back to Oz with a positive and realistic world view, worth every penny.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:30 pm

I think they come for the culture , they can't get it in a Tinny at home.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:55 pm

They were going fro work(plus see ye'old Europe) but you got none now so we're coming home

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183099/Australian-expats-leave-UK-thriving-job-market-home.html
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Having asked Ozzo's why they like living here,they always give a similar answer.........Because there ain't much to do in Australia.

Many remark that their homeland is good for a holiday but other than that,life is pretty boring.Additionally,they described Sydney as the most boring of cities.......nice to look at but boring.

They all agreed that soaps such as Neighbours & Home and away have made Ozzo's look dumb & so backwards regarding fashion sense.

On the very rare occasions that I have watched either of those soaps I have wondered about the actors hair styles (mullets).And tank tops? I mean are they still wearing tank tops in Ozzostralia?

Oh yes nearly forgot......There most definitely are Aborigine slums in the Sydney outskirts.

Mmmm.Utopia it ain't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:59 pm

veya_victaous wrote:They were going fro work(plus see ye'old Europe) but you got none now so we're coming home

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183099/Australian-expats-leave-UK-thriving-job-market-home.html

Correction.......You Ozzo's are coming here in their droves.

Don't start lying.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:13 am

Umm No they are coming home.
less Aussies are going more are just using the 2 year visa (we can automatically get because of the commonwealth) to visit Europe. Many don't stay the whole 2 years.

We get paid more here now (in the 90's it was the opposite, 2000's was even)

Greater Sydney is Awesome, the city itself is too corporate/tourist. The ones that go to the UK and say it is better are the ones that are racists and like the fact you have so few people of other colours. (and wish Australia was still like that.) But many of us that have embraced multiculturalism do have lots to do, Australia day today, 2 weeks Chinese new year (celebrated by multiple Asian cultures all the restaurants do special feasts menus for a fortnight), Diwali is not long after that.
 Plus you can just go out and enjoy the outdoors most of the time. there is always some festival going on.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:57 am

bee,i think you complain too much,i lived in Australia for some years,even joined your army.you can get sick of too much sun and no change in the seasons. have you ever been to England? seen the greenness of the country,the landscape when covered in snow.i'v been around a bit and there's no place as lovely as England.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:48 am

nicko wrote:bee,i think you complain too much,i lived in Australia for some years,even joined your army.you can get sick of too much sun and no change in the seasons. have you ever been to England? seen the greenness of the country,the landscape when covered in snow.i'v been around a bit and there's no place as lovely as England.
Spot on chap,

Only us English whinge better than the Aussies, who often come second in most things.

Britain is the best place to live, but I do miss Africa.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Beekeeper wrote:Laughing   ONCE AGAIN, Shady has proven that he can't go barely one sentence without peppering his posts with ever more outrageous silliness !!!

JUST looking at today's efforts on here, I have highlighted his outright lies in each paragraph :

Shady wrote:
Having asked Ozzo's why they like living here,they always give a similar answer.........Because there ain't much to do in Australia.

Many remark that their homeland is good for a holiday but other than that, life is pretty boring. Additionally, they described Sydney as the most boring of cities.......nice to look at but boring.

They all agreed that soaps such as Neighbours & Home and away have made Ozzo's look dumb & so backwards regarding fashion sense.

On the very rare occasions that I have watched either of those soaps I have wondered about the actors hair styles (mullets). And tank tops? I mean are they still wearing tank tops in Ozzostralia?

Oh yes nearly forgot......There most definitely are Aborigine slums in the Sydney outskirts.

Mmmm. Utopia it ain't.

::lightsab:: 

* "Nothing to do.." in Oz ~ forget that we have lots more sunshine, and real beaches, and plenty of open space, and far better quality food ~ and bigger houses.

* "Life is pretty boring.." ? No, it's not, Your Shonkiness !  Obviously Shady manages to only talk to those lazy slobs that always expect to be spoon-fed their entertainment.. Oh, and we DO have bigger houses !

* "Soaps like Neighbours and Home and Away.." ?  WELL ~ apart from the fact that those shows are made for export, and the great majority of Aussies never watch them anyway ~ any intelligent and rationally-thinking person would only consider that a TV show makes it's actors and writers look ".. dumb and so backwards...", and certainly NOT the country as a whole !  Oh, and our backyards are generally bigger out in the suburbs, too..  sunny 

* "Mullets.. tank tops.." ?!?  Sounds like you have been watching old 1970s repeat episodes there, McShades !   Oh, and MOST Aussies can both drive and swim too, Shady = compared with barely 50% of Brit's in either discipline..

* "Aboriginal slums.." !!!   There are NO Aboriginal settlements or communities, let alone those non-existent "slums" of Shady's creation, on the "outskirts" of any Australian cities..

Oh, and we drive bigger, newer and better cars on average than you lot, too !    Razz

* Compared with anywhere in Britain today, and much of Europe post 'GFC', "Utopia, it is !", Your Shadiness !

cheers 

No aborigine slums in Sydney?......Liar.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:59 pm

Well they are not exactly slums, there is Redfern but with an average house price in excess of 1 million dollars....  scratch  scratch  scratch  Even by Aussie standards of Prosperity that is NOT a slum.

Everywhere else in the Cities they are integrated, we don't really do the slum ghetto thing here, most areas have a mixed heritage. There are a couple of areas that stand out as being predominately Asian or middle eastern, but there are Whites and Indians in both.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:01 am

I didn't know.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Have they rebuilt The Block in Sydney yet?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/rebuilding-the-block/

which was an aboriginal area that was notorious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:48 pm

Wimbledon. Lords. The Oval.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:05 pm

@sassy
no the Aboriginal Communtiy sold it for several million and several hectares of beach front land down about 200km down the coast.

I was actually looking at buying in the new apartments block they are putting there (I work just across the rail line from where the block was) but $650,000+ for a basic 2bedroom is out of my price range.

Also not all that they mark in the link you posted is really 'the block'. 'the block' refered to a few apartment towers where the most 'anti-social'(drunk/drug affected) of the aboriginals lived (mainly single young men, school drop outs etc). there have always been 'better' aboriginal family homes around the actual block.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:09 pm

veya_victaous wrote:@sassy
no the Aboriginal Communtiy sold it for several million and several hectares of beach front land down about 200km down the coast.

I was actually looking at buying in the new apartments block they are putting there (I work just across the rail line from where the block was) but $650,000+ for a basic 2bedroom is out of my price range.

Also not all that they mark in the link you posted is really 'the block'. 'the block' refered to a few apartment towers where the most 'anti-social'(drunk/drug affected) of the aboriginals lived (mainly single young men, school drop outs etc). there have always been 'better' aboriginal family homes around the actual block.

I just remembered there were a lot of stories about it some years ago. Glad they sorted it, and glad the Aboriginal Community made something out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:22 am

@sassy and Bee
I was still young at the time, but remember there being talk that a few of the families were running drug 'cartels' (really just gangs not huge things like the South American ones) but that wasn't really in the paper because it was the height of the 'PC' era here.

Just relating stories... I was in early teens and Redfern is a good 35 km from where I grew up. I always take them with a grain of salt as Blacktown (my area) was one of the areas that was supposed to be worse (..but it was pretty bad until the no weapons laws)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 am

I too have lived in Australia - it's true, there really isn't much to do there.

The reason Aussies are moving to London is opportunity - much more in London for entrepreneur's and businessmen.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 am

@Andy
 Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  you are joking right  confused  confused 

20 years no recessions seem to prove otherwise, jesus you don't even have interent banking or banking on Sundays  pale  pale  pale  pale  Seriously you really can't deny the fact the UK has really let itself slip the past 30 years, your colonies will be eclipsing you soon.. Answer me this how  :::grouch::  do you renew your Car regos and stuff? do you still go and line up like lemmings? I know you use shovels and buckets for road work (very novel as 28 year old Aussies like my brother had never seen anyone actually still use them for road work until he went to England)

You do realise if it has a made in China logo it the raw materials it was made out of was probably mined or farmed in Australia. We are one of the few nations that have a trade surplus with both India and China.

The only reason Aussies Visit England is to Experience the Old World... unfortunately it is crumbling and all very dirty now since you haven't fixed anything with modern tools. I think you guys might having to dress in traditional English Clothes like Armour and Pantaloons and Ride horses to appease the tourist soon... it may be the only hope for your economy   pale  pale  pale  pale  like Italy Tourism based on a past empire can literally last millennia so you got nothing to worry about your economy can be as great as Italy's  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  (just joking hope your economy doesn't tank that hard  Wink  Wink )
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:08 am

veya_victaous wrote:@Andy
 Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  you are joking right  confused  confused 

20 years no recessions seem to prove otherwise, jesus you don't even have interent banking or banking on Sundays  pale  pale  pale  pale  Seriously you really can't deny the fact the UK has really let itself slip the past 30 years, your colonies will be eclipsing you soon.. Answer me this how  :::grouch::  do you renew your Car regos and stuff? do you still go and line up like lemmings? I know you use shovels and buckets for road work (very novel as 28 year old Aussies like my brother had never seen anyone actually still use them for road work until he went to England)

You do realise if it has a made in China logo it the raw materials it was made out of was probably mined or farmed in Australia. We are one of the few nations that have a trade surplus with both India and China.

The only reason Aussies Visit England is to Experience the Old World... unfortunately it is crumbling and all very dirty now since you haven't fixed anything with modern tools. I think you guys might having to dress in traditional English Clothes like Armour and Pantaloons and Ride horses to appease the tourist soon... it may be the only hope for your economy   pale  pale  pale  pale  like Italy Tourism based on a past empire can literally last millennia so you got nothing to worry about your economy can be as great as Italy's  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  (just joking hope your economy doesn't tank that hard  Wink  Wink )

I think you'll find that London is teeming with extremely affluent people spending horrendous amounts of money and the housing makes Sydney look like downtown Mumbai.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 am

@andy
where abouts? 
I will give you much of rural Australia is as boring as fuck. but the coasts (as long as you can swim and don't mind the sharks :D ) and cities are pretty fun (even Adelaide  Rolling Eyes ). Sydney has really taken off post 2005ish with regards to the amount and inclusiveness of international festivals it has adopted... we are a convict nation, if we like it we steals it  Wink  Wink  Wink  Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:26 am

@andy
You don't even have real sky scrapers. All your stuff is ancient... that's what gives it, it's CHARM  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz 

Sydney and Melbourne at least have a few sky scrapers
and in some parts of Sydney it is getting hard to find a building 20 years old.
In Parramatta for example (it had/has some historic sandstone buildings) they gutted the old buildings but kept all the street fronts. removed the roof and changed them from 2 story to 20 story buildings they do look quite good, old school bottom outer that you see at street level, but look up and it's walls of modern glass and metal. Interiors are fully modernised with the latest in lift/elevator technology etc. 

It is actually quite weird in your shows,  confused  do you have some external pipes and cabling? like running along the wall where you can see it????  confused 
 that is so cheap (here only the most bogan homes would leave it like that) why don't you just remove the internal wall lay the cables/pipes etc and replace the wall?
Not sure, but I think it is because some of your building were built before running water let alone electricity so haven't left the space and access points etc..... and for some reason you haven't knocked them down or refurbished them to modern standards (or at least Aussies standards  tongue  tongue  tongue  tongue )
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:27 am

Crikey, you must be really wound up to have gone away and thought of another post veya.

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Australia has many animals that can kill you,we have one the adder.we don't have to lift the toilet seat to look for spiders,we can go for a swim without being eaten by sharks or crocodiles we have great country side, it looks lovely when covered in snow. [mind you everything comes to a halt if we have more than a half inch] Laughing 
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:21 pm

So after all that then.......there are still thousands of Australians living & working in the UK & there are more of them coming.This is straight forward factual good news........Factual.....just like the abo slums in Sydney.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:36 pm

nicko wrote:Australia has many animals that can kill you,we have one the adder.we don't have to lift the toilet seat to look for spiders,we can go for a swim without being eaten by sharks or crocodiles we have great country side, it looks lovely when covered in snow. [mind you everything comes to a halt if we have more than a half inch] Laughing 

As much as I love to go away there is no place like home Nicko Why Do So Many Australians Move to London? Love_h46x

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:58 pm

so true ftl,especialy if its England.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:07 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Crikey, you must be really wound up to have gone away and thought of another post veya.

lol

lol no thats just quick of the top of my head list.  Laughing Laughing Laughing  it really is a no brainer All the numbers show we are going to UK in lower numbers and leaving earlier. Like I said it is the Pay, 20 years ago was the opposite, but while you have had ups and downs we have just had growth. We have more UK migrants than people immigrating to the UK.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/august-2013/sty-migration.html

seems some of you English have a clue, the number 1 country for British to move to Australia. (15%)
"final estimates show that 49,000 emigrants from the UK intended to live in Australia. Of this number, 36,000 were British citizens."

"Over the last five years, fourth and fifth places in the ranking have fluctuated between Australia, Germany, the USA, Pakistan and China" (5%) which is slightly under 25,000 so almost twices as many of you lot come here.  tongue tongue tongue tongue

Plus Teasing Englishmen is good for the Soul  ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Beekeeper wrote:
Shady wrote:

Factual.....just like the abo slums in Sydney.

afro 

WHERE are these non-existent "slums" of your imagination located, Shady ???

NAME their suburbs, Shady..

TELL us what the street names are !     ::lies:: 

Yep.Full details on their way Beaky & that includes post codes as well.

Why Do So Many Australians Move to London? 5485113

My tent or yours.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Beekeeper wrote:cheers 

AND THEN Veya or myself can then go and photograph those towns and streets in question, depending on who is closest ~ and post up-to-date images on here...

JUST to prove to everybody else's satisfaction that there AREN'T any such slums down around Sydney..    Razz 
AND I'll give two cartons of VB to Shady if he can find an "Aboriginal Slum" anywhere within the Sydney suburban areas !      ::drnkpst::

Good afternoon Beaky.

Yours is an absolutely brilliant idea & it's good no it's amazing to learn that you & Veya would actually go to the extent of photographing those towns & streets in question.That's devotion for you & may I say well done in advance of your results.

Before you go ahead,what action did you take following my recent submission of a link containing the full details of the aboriginal slums as described?

I seem to recall submitting that link earlier..........funny how I didn't receive a positive response to it.

Has there been some kind of misunderstanding?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Beekeeper wrote:
Shady wrote:........................................

Good afternoon Beaky.

Yours is an absolutely brilliant idea & it's good no it's amazing to learn that you & Veya would actually go to the extent of photographing those towns & streets in question.That's devotion for you & may I say well done in advance of your results.

Before you go ahead, what action did you take following my recent submission of a link containing the full details of the aboriginal slums as described?

I seem to recall submitting that link earlier..........funny how I didn't receive a positive response to it.

Has there been some kind of misunderstanding?

scratch 

I HAVEN'T yet seen any such links, your Shadiness...

Suspect

Beaky?........Not that old gag?

Beekeeper while you're there,have the authorities killed that croc that took the 12 year old boy? Either way it's sad news for the boy & family & sad news for the croc if any are killed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:09 pm

Beekeeper wrote:
Surprised   Yesterday it was reported that they had killed three croc's in that river, but didn't yet know if any of them was a killer; (I suppose they'll have to check their teeth and mouths for human DNA, if they don't find any actual remains,to see if they were involved..).

THERE does seem to have been a bit of an increase in people taken by croc's in the NT, FNQ and the top end of WA over recent years..

BUT it should be pointed out at the same time, that this increase in the frequency of attacks does follow the increased incursions into these creature's natural home territories by people venturing into places that they didn't go to until recently ~ swimming, surfing and skindiving in "new" areas and "opening up" remote regions to more visitors.   Arrow

This is absolute mental insanity because the croc was only doing what comes naturally....eating.I can hardly believe that people would be so stupid as to kill an animal under these circumstances & they are treating the animal like it has the mind of a human killer.

The 12 year old boy was doing something really stupid in swimming in water where he knew there were crocs but I remember at that age doing some stupid & dangerous things.Not swimming with crocs I hasten to say as we don't have too many of them up here.But I recall cycling down a very long steep slope that led to a very narrow footpath on the bank of the partially frozen Grand Union canal.....with no brakes on my bike.

Poor kid & poor relatives.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Hahahahahah I daresay there is good and bad in both countries but one thing stands way out on this thread:

You Aussies have only just discovered emoticons and your obsession with them is so cute.  Smile Smile Smile Smile cheers cheers santa albino flower afro :<:i}: 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next