NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talking down to others on the forum.

+4
Major
eddie
'Wolfie
Syl
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Talking down to others on the forum. Empty Talking down to others on the forum.

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Why do some people ..instead of carrying on an intelligent  debate, often resort to talking down to others?...it's very offputting.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Talking down to others on the forum. Empty Re: Talking down to others on the forum.

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:42 pm

Laughing

You could start by taking a good look in the mirror...

And asking yourself that very same question,  Syl..

Why do you 'talk down' to others on here so much, especially the non-Brits ?
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Talking down to others on the forum. Empty Re: Talking down to others on the forum.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Syl wrote:Why do some people ..instead of carrying on an intelligent  debate, often resort to talking down to others?...it's very offputting.

I will explain why I am angry and annoyed today

Again my brother when he found out he had cancer listened to false claims of cures to cancer and from this was convinced not to try medical treatment which could have saved his life. Those that did this, did not care for his health, only that he bought their products. That means people are playing with peoples lives and it angers me, because its utterly irresponsible Syl.

What I see from last night again is two people not listening to where evidence is shown to them by science with them coming out with false claims to doctors not caring for patients and only out to make money, which is illogical. Which means they are brainwashed also like my brother was in believing these lies spread on false claims to cure cancer. So I am sorry, but it disgusts me when I read such crap and even more that they simply do not care for those people who have cancer, because if they did. They would not lie to them with false claims.

Apologies, but I simply cannot stomach such lies, especially when they can and do endanger lives

Please read

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t19509-10-reasons-why-hidden-cancer-cure-conspiracy-theories-fail

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:58 pm

I can disagree with someone without talking down to them. I rarely rise to insults unless I've taken it for a long time and I'm in a bad mood that day.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:02 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Laughing

You could start by taking a good look in the mirror...

And asking yourself that very same question,  Syl..

Why do you 'talk down' to others on here so much, especially the non-Brits  ?

Show said posts you are referring to....Ta.

Didn't think so... Razz Talking down to others on the forum. Ongeduld
Tip...try to actually contribute to a thread instead of making hit and run posts bad mouthing people and lying.

Last edited by Syl on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:02 pm

eddie wrote:I can disagree with someone without talking down to them. I rarely rise to insults unless I've taken it for a long time and I'm in a bad mood that day.

I dont often, unless its something that is utterly wrong, where it has directly effected my family
I have every right to be angry when I see lies posted Eddie, when they endanger peoples lives

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:Why do some people ..instead of carrying on an intelligent  debate, often resort to talking down to others?...it's very offputting.

Again my brother when he found out he had cancer listened to false claims of cures to cancer and from this was convinced not to try medical treatment which could have saved his life. Those that did this, did not care for his health, only that he bought their products. That means people are playing with peoples lives and it angers me, because its utterly irresponsible Syl.

What I see from last night again is two people not listening to where evidence is shown to them by science with them coming out with false claims to doctors not caring for patients and only out to make money, which is illogical. Which means they are brainwashed also like my brother was in believing these lies spread on false claims to cure cancer. So I am sorry, but it disgusts me when I read such crap and even more that they simply do not care for those people who have cancer, because if they did. They would not lie to them with false claims.

Apologies, but I simply cannot stomach such lies, especially when they can and do endanger lives

Please read

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t19509-10-reasons-why-hidden-cancer-cure-conspiracy-theories-fail

I wasn't meaning you or anyone specifically Thor.
I just notice it happens sometimes when a decent debate is underway...someone will come in and start talking down to others for no obvious reason.

OK, some do it more than others. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Thorin wrote:
eddie wrote:I can disagree with someone without talking down to them. I rarely rise to insults unless I've taken it for a long time and I'm in a bad mood that day.

I dont often, unless its something that is utterly wrong, where it has directly effected my family
I have every right to be angry when I see lies posted Eddie, when they endanger peoples lives

Opinions aren't lies. That's where you go wrong.
But I'm not getting into it with you, I know you well enough to know when to step away from you.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Please read

I just notice it happens sometimes when a decent debate is underway...someone will come in and start talking down to others for no obvious reason.

Oh come on...you did mean him, not exclusive,y him by any means, but all the same...
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Thorin wrote:

I think it's understandable to get more upset in threads that have affected us personally Thor.

I know if I ever enter any debates about care homes, or a couple of other subjects that have affected me in my life in one way or the other, I can get emotional ...in turn snappy.
Maybe sometimes it's best to avoid certain threads.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:08 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Oh come on...you did mean him, not exclusive,y him by any means, but all the same...

I did not.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Please read

I admit I am very angry and what was posted, with also speaking down to people, because its frustrating when said people are brainwashed. I mean to post up about the possible implications of Mushrooms on dementia was a great article. What was poor was to ride off this claiming they cure cancer.
Nothing is known at present to cure cancer, so to make such a claim, is a lie and if people buy that lie, it endangers their life. I do not want to see others end up doing what my brother did and everyone here already knows this. Sorry though again, but when people are irresponsible it bugs me, especially, when I myself have done some stupid irresponsible things in the past myself. I learnt from them, clearly others need to first recognize that they are being irresponsible. It shows I care and want to help people stay alive, not see them end up dying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Major wrote:Wolf, you have got some nerve to even suggest such to Syl, one of the most respected forum ladies of all time.

You seem to be having a break from your vile bully boy tic tacs with myself and Miss Ragga who is also widely respected as Syl whom you are now picking on.

Your accusation of Syl talking down even if it were true pales into insignificance when up against yourself who has one of the most disgusting filthy vilest mouthes I have had the displeasure to post with and a liar to boot.
Just look at the vileness, threats against my person from you.
I hope there are not any more disreputable Australians like you, heaven help Australia...

You cannot buy class, Wolf, remember so.

Thank you Major.

I am not perfect, but I don't think I talk down to anyone, even half witted lying idiots like Wolf. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:21 pm

Major wrote:You have given me  few 'CLEVER' bolukinz over the yearz and I have never disrespected yourself for doing such, same with Miss Ragga.

Being British we have innate class/breeding which is the envy of the world.

You talk so much bollocks. The British are no better, and no worse than any othe culture. Don't you understand that people are just people?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:30 pm

I don't think I have more class than most, I just think it's the decent thing to do to treat people online the same way you would treat them face to face.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Major wrote:British are best and always have been and always will be.
Our class is worldwide envied.

So, are you saying Jimmy Saville, Manson, Rolf Harriss and so forth are as equal to a  respectable class of people?

Saville was British Major, do you think he had class and breeding?

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Syl wrote:

So, are you saying Jimmy Saville, Manson, Rolf Harriss and so forth are as equal to a  respectable class of people?

Saville was British Major, do you think he had class and breeding?

I don't think he thought that one through.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Talking down to others on the forum. 371740092   Noooo...there's no British chauvinism!!  But I share Maj's glee...it's fun to tease.  Spot of tea, ol' boy?

Talking down is just another euphemism for whose ox is being gored.  Like bullying.  They bully...they talk down, but we don't bully or talk down.  Noooo...

Even these meta-threads are intended to target some group, if not an individual.  That is to say, we've got someone in mind.

Last edited by Original Quill on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:55 pm

It's an old saying...there is good and bad everywhere.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Talking down to others on the forum. 371740092   Noooo...there's no British chauvinism!!  But I share Maj's glee...it's fun to tease.  Spot of tea, ol' boy?

Talking down is just another euphemism for whose ox is being gored.  Like bullying.  They bully...they talk down, but we don't bully or talk down.  Noooo...

Even these meta-threads are intended to target some group, if not an individual.  That is to say, we've got someone in mind.

Maybe people who really do talk down...and really do bully, are not aware of it themselves Quill.scratch

No point asking anyone in real life, because I firmly believe some people act completely different on forums than they do in face to face encounters.

Whats a 'meta thread'?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:47 pm

We can all blame our attitude on personal experiences. my brother died my uncle died of cancer my mum has had cancer my sister in law died my dad is in a nursing home with Parkinson's and its a very sensitive subject for me to discuss and i was very interested in the thread made my eddie on it but it got bad mouthed by didge , we can all blame our loved ones misfortunes and we all have close relatives that have died so to blame that on just plain spiteful hurtful replies is wrong , its time to grow up and stop feeling sorry for yourself didge we all have bad experiences we live we die its how it works .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:We can all blame our attitude on personal experiences. my brother died my uncle died of cancer my mum has had cancer my sister in law died my dad is in a nursing home with Parkinson's and its a very sensitive subject for me to discuss and i was very interested in the thread made my eddie on it but it got bad mouthed by didge , we can all blame our loved ones misfortunes and we all have close relatives that have died so to blame that on just plain spiteful hurtful replies is wrong , its time to grow up and stop feeling sorry for yourself didge we all have bad experiences we live we die its how it works .

I did not swear or being abusive once actually, I spoke about ignorance, which was factual and the fact you both keep posting false claims to cures for cancer, when there is no such cure. That is misleading people and endangers lives. Of which when I posted to you this very thing this morning you said you did not care and then after laughed at this. I am not felling sorry for myself and will rightly come down hard on people who post lies that endanger lives. Again it is because of people like you spreading misinformation, that lulls vulnerable people into giving up the treatment they need and by doing so condemns them to death. Don't post lies and I wont ridicule you. Like I said, there is no cures for cancer, so stop lying by claiming there is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Thorin wrote:
Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:We can all blame our attitude on personal experiences. my brother died my uncle died of cancer my mum has had cancer my sister in law died my dad is in a nursing home with Parkinson's and its a very sensitive subject for me to discuss and i was very interested in the thread made my eddie on it but it got bad mouthed by didge , we can all blame our loved ones misfortunes and we all have close relatives that have died so to blame that on just plain spiteful hurtful replies is wrong , its time to grow up and stop feeling sorry for yourself didge we all have bad experiences we live we die its how it works .

I did not swear or being abusive once actually, I spoke about ignorance, which was factual and the fact you both keep posting false claims to cures for cancer, when there is no such cure. That is misleading people and endangers lives. Of which when I posted to you this very thing this morning you said you did not care and then after laughed at this. I am not felling sorry for myself and will rightly come down hard on people who post lies that endanger lives. Again it is because of people like you spreading misinformation, that lulls vulnerable people into giving up the treatment they need and by doing so condemns them to death. Don't post lies and I wont ridicule you. Like I said, there is no cures for cancer, so stop lying by claiming there is.

Nothing you have to say makes you right - you could never ridicule me you do ridicule yourself though Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:59 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Nothing you have to say makes you right - you could never ridicule me you do ridicule yourself though Razz

I know it does not matter whether you see me as right or not, the problem is you are brainwashed. That is very obvious Dibs. Like I said, you need to think before you make claims to other people, because its not your life you are playing with. Its theirs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:15 pm

I never posted any threads for alternative cures - secondly you said there is no cure so how is my belief in alternative cures any worse that yours if cancer cannot be cured ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:I never posted any threads for alternative cures - secondly you said there is no cure so how is my belief in alternative cures any worse that yours if cancer cannot be cured ?

I am not talking about on here.
Though you have made many false claims on all the threads about cancer treatments and fake cures.
Which is playing with peoples lives
There is no cure for cancer
That is a fact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Thorin wrote:
Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:I never posted any threads for alternative cures - secondly you said there is no cure so how is my belief in alternative cures any worse that yours if cancer cannot be cured ?

Though you have made many false claims on all the threads about cancer treatments and fake cures.
That is a fact.

So again if there is no cure for cancer how come alternative treatments are dismissed on the grounds they are not a cure- are you saying your non cure is better than my non cure ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:23 pm

Thorin wrote:

That is a fact.

So again if there is no cure for cancer how come alternative treatments are dismissed on the grounds they are not a cure- are you saying your non cure is better than my non cure ?

Talking down to others on the forum. 3489511464

You need to read what you wrote again, its so stupid, its actually funny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:59 am

I don't know if there is a cure for cancer or not....there are so many different cancers, and some are easier to treat than others, plus lots of other factors come into play. Treatment may be successful on one person and not another...so no doubt personal experience convinces us one way or another.

I hate to hear that someone 'lost the fight' against cancer. No they didn't....they lost their lives because either there was no treatment available or it just didn't work.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:12 am

Syl wrote:I don't think I have more class than most, I just think it's the decent thing to do to treat people online the same way you would treat them face to face.

LOL
that's not a good idea Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Nicko would probably shoot me and wolf
and I'd have definitely knocked major out Talking down to others on the forum. 305421943

We are not all as classy as you syl Talking down to others on the forum. 2984306523 Talking down to others on the forum. 2984306523 Talking down to others on the forum. 2984306523
You are more 'reasonable' then most Talking down to others on the forum. 4211521542
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:21 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:I don't think I have more class than most, I just think it's the decent thing to do to treat people online the same way you would treat them face to face.

LOL
that's not a good idea Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Nicko would probably shoot me and wolf
and I'd have definitely knocked major out Talking down to others on the forum. 305421943

We are not all as classy as you syl Talking down to others on the forum. 2984306523 Talking down to others on the forum. 2984306523 Talking down to others on the forum. 2984306523
You are more 'reasonable' then most  Talking down to others on the forum. 4211521542

Well thank you....I logged back in to give you a alien . Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:02 am

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Maybe people who really do talk down...and really do bully, are not aware of it themselves Quill.scratch

No point asking anyone in real life, because I firmly believe some people act completely different on forums than they do in face to face encounters.

Whats a 'meta thread'?

I agree with you.  I don't think that it's something that people are self-aware of.  People who bully, or talk down, are engaging in compensatory behavior, born of a low self-esteem.  If they were even familiar with such concepts, they would seek help, or otherwise correct it.  I don't think people want to be cast in that role; they just act on feeling and instinct, without self-awareness.  Does Trump know he's being a bully? Probably not. He just thinks he's being strong.

A meta-thread is based upon meta (or above) concerns.  For example, in the news industry (Ben will tell you) they have a term: navel watching.  Imagine someone bowing his head and studying his own navel.  He's watching himself, innit?  In the news industry, someone who is navel watching is writing news about the news industry.  It's in the news a lot, because Trump is so critical about the press.

Meta-data comes from US law.  Privacy of actual communication is constitutionally protected, but where you go, who you talk to, or what you abandon (letters, etc.) is not.  This is called 'meta-data'--it is meta (above) the actual content of communication, and is information about and around your conversation or communication, but not actually inside it.  In the Internet the authorities can follow what websites you visit, and can pinpoint your concerns (if they can properly interpret)...particularly on international sites like this.  They are constantly studying you, as Edward Snowden showed.

A meta-thread is a thread about threads, topics or concerns of posters.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:47 am

Syl wrote:I don't know if there is a cure for cancer or not....there are so many different cancers, and some are easier to treat than others, plus lots of other factors come into play. Treatment may be successful on one person and not another...so no doubt personal experience convinces us one way or another.

I hate to hear that someone 'lost the fight' against cancer. No they didn't....they lost their lives because either there was no treatment available or it just didn't work.

That is the reason there is no cure Syl. Due to the fact there is so many different types of cancers and not all treatments work on the same cancers, due to the mutations. Its very unlikely there will ever be a single cure, but many different forms of cures, that will then not be 100% successful, but will help many people. The point is those who promote so called alternative cures are lying and misleading people and doing so not with their own lives, but those who have cancer. Its disgusting in my book and endangers their lives, when there is known medical treatment which can help treat them. Like I said, if they really cared for cancer patients, they would not lie to them or try to get them to stop their medical treatment. Where they are doing this to make a profit out of fake cures

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:44 am

Thorin wrote:

That is a fact.

I bet if a member of the royal family got it....they'd probably find a cure pretty quick.
It is rather odd how no one in the royal family has ever had it.

Lucky I guess.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:52 am

eddie wrote:
Thorin wrote:

That is a fact.

I bet if a member of the royal family got it....they'd probably find a cure pretty quick.

Lucky I guess.

Sure about that?

How about the Queen mother who had part of her colon removed, because she had colon cancer?

You need to stop believing what idiots tell you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:00 am

How about the fact Eddie, she had breast cancer 18 years after she had colon cancer?

King George VI died of lung cancer, the father of the present Queen.
How about the Duke of Westminster, the third richest man in the UK, who died at 64 from a heart attack, whilst battling cancer. A man with over 8 billion who succumbs to heart failure and could not cure his cancer. 

This is why your claims on the Pharmacy companies is a sham, because they even have members of their families die of cancer and die themselves of cancer. Proving you need to stop believing the bullshit these bullshit sites on fake cures tell you. The rich just as much die of cancer just like everyone else

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:31 am

Do you know what?
These fake cure scam companies use the same methodology of the Abrahamic religions. They play on the fear of people. Accept in this situation the fear is very real when people have cancer  and have to go through the painful process of cancer treatment. Like with religious bullshit though, these scammers offer zero evidence and hearsay claims to cures. Just as you hear of claims to miracles. 

What they do though is disgustingly place more fear into patients with cancer, to deceive them, by playing on their vulnerability. They actively seek to try to get that cancer sufferer or even those not with cancer, to use their products and stop any medical treatment, if they ever did develop cancer or that it will prevent them getting cancer. Instead they play off how it is horrible to undergo this treatment, of which people know that it is. By lying to them, claiming there is painless cures. They are robbing these people of their best chances of survival. 

This is why they center on how horrible chemo treatment is to deceive them into stopping chemo, thus condemning them to death. All so they can make money out of the vulnerable. They have no scientific evidence and demand that people's testimonies be believed. Its so appalling, its like the parents who refuse to allow their child medical treatment, claiming prayers, will heal them.

They would soon stop, if family members then sued those for lying about their products, as they are lying claiming they are cures, but they are able to get around a loophole, by then actually quoting real science on cancer. That not all treatments will work for everyone. To me, it  makes them the lowest of the low, those who knowingly know what they are promoting does not cure cancer. I can forgive those gullible, but those who understand science and knowingly lie, should be held to account for their lies through the legal system.

This is what angers me so much and I grew up with this bullshit when I had severe asthma as a kid, and my mother taking me both to the Knock Shrine in Ireland and Lourdes, because some idiots claimed to have seen the Virgin Mary and low and behold I still sometimes get asthma today.

People need to stop fucking with peoples lives. If you want to take claims to cures, be my guest, but stop selling lies to people it will cure them, when it will not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:13 pm

eddie wrote:
Thorin wrote:

That is a fact.

Lucky I guess.

I think princess Margaret had cancer, Michael Douglas he went for alternative cures .

I stand corrected she had a stroke . SO eddie you may be right that none of them have had cancer .

Last edited by Vicar of Dibley (vod) on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Thorin wrote:

Talking down to others on the forum. 3489511464

You need to read what you wrote again, its so stupid, its actually funny.

So just answer the question Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:46 pm

eddie wrote:

Lucky I guess.

I think princess Margaret had cancer, Michael Douglas he went for alternative cures .

I stand corrected she had a stroke . SO eddie you may be right that none of them have had cancer .

Talking down to others on the forum. G1359166629958441808

How about the Queen mother who had part of her colon removed, because she had colon cancer?
How about the fact , she had breast cancer 18 years after she had colon cancer?

King George VI died of lung cancer, the father of the present Queen.
How about the Duke of Westminster, the third richest man in the UK, who died at 64 from a heart attack, whilst battling cancer. A man with over 8 billion who succumbs to heart failure and could not cure his cancer. 

This is why your claims on the Pharmacy companies is a sham, because they even have members of their families die of cancer and die themselves of cancer. Proving you need to stop believing the bullshit these bullshit sites on fake cures tell you. The rich just as much die of cancer just like everyone else

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Whats a 'meta thread'?

I agree with you.  I don't think that it's something that people are self-aware of.  People who bully, or talk down, are engaging in compensatory behavior, born of a low self-esteem.  If they were even familiar with such concepts, they would seek help, or otherwise correct it.  I don't think people want to be cast in that role; they just act on feeling and instinct, without self-awareness.  Does Trump know he's being a bully?  Probably not.  He just thinks he's being strong.

A meta-thread is based upon meta (or above) concerns.  For example, in the news industry (Ben will tell you) they have a term: navel watching.  Imagine someone bowing his head and studying his own navel.  He's watching himself, innit?  In the news industry, someone who is navel watching is writing news about the news industry.  It's in the news a lot, because Trump is so critical about the press.

Meta-data comes from US law.  Privacy of actual communication is constitutionally protected, but where you go, who you talk to, or what you abandon (letters, etc.) is not.  This is called 'meta-data'--it is meta (above) the actual content of communication, and is information about and around your conversation or communication, but not actually inside it.  In the Internet the authorities can follow what websites you visit, and can pinpoint your concerns (if they can properly interpret)...particularly on international sites like this.  They are constantly studying you, as Edward Snowden showed.

A meta-thread is a thread about threads, topics or concerns of posters.

We both agree on your first paragraph Quill.....people do seem not to realise they are bullying or talking down to others.
In real life, if you ever do come across someone like this, and you point it out.....ime they are not aware and immediately go on the defensive. It's not a nice trait to have, and I believe it may well stem from childhood where they overcompensated for something within themselves....and it just remains a learned pattern of behaviour.
I don't know what Trumps childhood was like, but he is a perfect example.

Hmmm....the meta-thread, I don't think I started it because I was naval grazing.. Razz  I just read through a few threads and it struck me it was worth pointing out.

Yes it IS a concern to me, when people start to talk down it puts people off answering, or creates friction which takes a thread off course, so it's worth a thread imo.

Plus...it's a change to talk about something other than racism or Trump.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:01 pm

eddie wrote:
Thorin wrote:

That is a fact.

Lucky I guess.
you mean like george the 6th?
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Not many cases though are there? Must be the good breeding.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Syl wrote:Hmmm....the meta-thread, I don't think I started it because I was naval grazing.. Razz I just read through a few threads and it struck me it was worth pointing out.

Naval gazing...it's a term of art in journalism. Sometimes the news gathering industry is itself news. But it was a hasty analogy...could be incongruencies.

Syl wrote:Plus...it's a change to talk about something other than racism or Trump.

I know. But somebody's gotta do it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:04 pm

eddie wrote:Not many cases though are there? Must be the good breeding.

Eh?

So we have the Queens mother and father both have cancer.

How many more of her siblings and children do you expect to get cancer?
What are you comparing this too, to claim its not many cases?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next