NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

+4
Irn Bru
Ben Reilly
Original Quill
Clarkson
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy - Page 2 Empty Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

Margaretta D'Arcy, the acclaimed Irish writer and peace activist, is serving a three-month prison sentence in Ireland for her protests at the US military use of Shannon airport.

She could have avoided the jail term if she had agreed to sign a bond to uphold the law and stay away from unauthorised zones at Shannon. She refused to do so and was taken into custody last Wednesday (15 January).

But the Irish authorities have been confronted with a torrent of protest, and a measure of embarrassment, since D'Arcy, who is 79 and suffering from cancer, was incarcerated in Limerick prison.

She has been visited by Sabina Higgins, wife of Ireland's president, Michael D Higgins. And protests on behalf of D'Arcy have been growing day by day. Some 240 artists have called for D'Arcy's release, including journalist Nell McCafferty, film-maker Lelia Doolan and former UN assistant secretary-general Denis Halliday.

Yesterday's demonstration outside the Dail - as in the video above - was attended by several politicians, journalists, writers and supportive members of the public.

Former staff of the late, lamented Irish Press will spot one of their old colleagues, the poet Hugh McFadden, among the protestors.

D'Arcy is no stranger to prison, having been arrested on dozens of occasions down the years. She was a campaigner against the Vietnam War and British involvement in Northern Ireland. She also joined the Greenham Commons peace camp.

Her latest arrest has certainly heightened interest in, and opposition to, what D'Arcy has called "acts of unfathomable criminality" by the American military at Shannon.

She lives in Galway and, apart from receiving treatment for cancer, also suffers from arthritis in her neck.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/jan/23/protest-ireland

The lady is an inspiration and has stuck to her principles for so many years.

This has a lot more info on why she is doing it:

http://www.shannonwatch.org/

Back to top Go down

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy - Page 2 Empty Re: Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Sassy wrote:

For crying out loud, read it again, it implies the EXACT OPPOSITE.

none of you RWers WOULD HAVE MINDED A BIT.  

Fucking Christ

Ben_Reilly wrote:If she'd been there protesting against gay rights,
Essentially swapping military use of the airport with human rights for homosexuals.
Ben_Reilly wrote:none of you RWers would have minded a bit that she walked into an area some guy said she couldn't be on.
Which is saying that I apparently don't care about the law being broken if someone is protesting against something that I supposedly don't like.

How about you learn to read?

Bless her lol  :D 

Back to top Go down

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy - Page 2 Empty Re: Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Sassy wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:

I'm sorry but why the fuck am I apparently some massive homophobe because I've been described as Right-Wing and acknowledged that a protester broke the law?

Jesus Christ, yet again you can't read.  

If she'd been there protesting against gay rights, none of you RWers would have minded a bit

Which fucking implies that I dislike gay rights.  

What's your sig then?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Sassy wrote:

For crying out loud, read it again, it implies the EXACT OPPOSITE.

none of you RWers WOULD HAVE MINDED A BIT.  

Fucking Christ

Ben_Reilly wrote:If she'd been there protesting against gay rights,
Essentially swapping military use of the airport with human rights for homosexuals.
Ben_Reilly wrote:none of you RWers would have minded a bit that she walked into an area some guy said she couldn't be on.
Which is saying that I apparently don't care about the law being broken if someone is protesting against something that I supposedly don't like.

Jeez!!!!! Ben saying 'if she had been protesting about gay rights none of you would have minded, means you would have supported a gays rights protest, you would not have been against it, which means you like gay rights, not
'Which fucking implies that I dislike gay rights.'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:

Which fucking implies that I dislike gay rights.  

What's your sig then?

Fucking wow!

It's me mocking Smelly Bandit who said this to Eilzel.

Smelly_bandit wrote:

says the screamer who whines about anti-gay commentary

this is why gays are hated

you're basically the gay version of the Reich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Sassy wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:

Fucking Christ

Jeez!!!!!   Ben saying 'if she had been protesting about gay rights none of you would have minded, means you would have supported a gays rights protest, you would not have been against it, which means you like gay rights, not

Ben_Reilly wrote:If she'd been there protesting against gay rights, none of you RWers would have minded a bit that she walked into an area some guy said she couldn't be on. But her protest amounted to a slap to the faces of the forelock-tuggers, so of course you're consumed with rage ... at an elderly lady with cancer!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Having worked for the US State Department, with military orders, I have visited most airports in Europe. The US military generally will offer substantial improvements if they can use the airport simultaneously as a base...primarily for transport, but occasionally for warplanes.

Torrejon AB, the major airport of Madrid, is (was?) an example. So is Rome airport Fiumicino or Leonardo da Vinci airport of Rome. Same with Athens International Airport, Eleftherios Venizelos. Don't know about Shannon.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

What's your sig then?

Fucking wow!

It's me mocking Smelly Bandit who said this to Eilzel.

Smelly_bandit wrote:

says the screamer who whines about anti-gay commentary

this is why gays are hated

you're basically the gay version of the Reich

There. I hope it's more clear now.

Back to top Go down

What I want to know is what is the fuss over military aircraft only being Hercules C-130s transports being there?

Seriously you think there are more pressing matters in the North that need peace protest than some transport planes, seems a tad silly to me, when actual people are under real threat just across the border, surely that is where peace protesting would benefit the most?

Last edited by PhilDidge on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

I just love all these people who have been cap doffers all their lives, and who have never protested against anything, coming up with reasons why this lady should be sent to prison. Namby pamby mealy mouthed cap doffers to a man, and woman.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Sassy wrote:I just love all these people who have been cap doffers all their lives, and who have never protested against anything, coming up with reasons why this lady should be sent to prison.   Namby pamby mealy mouthed cap doffers to a man, and woman.

I'm losing the argument!
Better move the goal posts.

Last edited by Queen Of Hearts on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Sassy wrote:I just love all these people who have been cap doffers all their lives, and who have never protested against anything, coming up with reasons why this lady should be sent to prison.   Namby pamby mealy mouthed cap doffers to a man, and woman.

Again this base is not being used to bomb anyone, do you not think there are more pressing matters in Ireland that need protesting about?

My point is why some protest over transport planes, not exactly a big deal!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Jeez!!!!!   Ben saying 'if she had been protesting about gay rights none of you would have minded, means you would have supported a gays rights protest, you would not have been against it, which means you like gay rights, not

Ben_Reilly wrote:If she'd been there protesting against gay rights, none of you RWers would have minded a bit that she walked into an area some guy said she couldn't be on. But her protest amounted to a slap to the faces of the forelock-tuggers, so of course you're consumed with rage ... at an elderly lady with cancer!

Another one who can't read Queenie, bless lol Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy - Page 2 Giggl112

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 pm

PhilDidge wrote:

Again this base is not being used to bomb anyone, do you not think there are more pressing matters in Ireland that need protesting about?

Ireland is meant to be neutral. I guess you better read up what those planes have been used for. The link is in the OP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:

Another one who can't read Queenie, bless lol Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy - Page 2 Giggl112

Hi FTL, I am not consumed with rage, I am just pondering why she is protesting this at all when it is being used for military transport, when as stated to me there are more pressing matters that would best be suited by a peace activist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:04 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Hi FTL, I am not consumed with rage, I am just pondering why she is protesting this at all when it is being used for military transport, when as stated to me there are more pressing matters that would best be suited by a peace activist.

Sorry Didge, I wasn't referring to you  I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:04 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

And you still haven't realised what they are being used for and why it is against Ireland's neutrality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Ireland is meant to be neutral.   I guess you better read up what those planes have been used for.   The link is in the OP.

Yes it is meant to be neutral do you wanna talk about U-boats?

I have read up and research shannonwatch, it seems they think this transport plaes are to be used in some imaginary attack on Syria.

Again are there not more pressing peace protests to be done in Ireland more so than this?

I think there are, hence why she might want to get her priorities straight, when people are actually dying in Northern Ireland, it strikes me as odd this would be more pressing to her with no evidence of any planes being used to attack or bomb anywhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:07 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Ireland is meant to be neutral.   I guess you better read up what those planes have been used for.   The link is in the OP.

I have read up and research shannonwatch, it seems they think this transport plaes are to be used in some imaginary attack on Syria.

Again are there not more pressing peace protests to be done in Ireland more so than this?

I think there are, hence why she might want to get her priorities straight, when people are actually dying in Northern Ireland, it strikes me as odd this would be more pressing to her with no evidence of any planes being used to attack or bomb anywhere

Oh piss off - U Boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are talking about what is happening now, and what so many of the Irish people are protesting about now, and have been for 10 years. Read the bloody evidence of what they have been used for and stop warbling on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:09 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Spot on

Exactly there are plenty of things in Ireland for a peace protester to concern themselves with

Agreed

Everyone is equal under the law

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Oh piss off - U Boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    We are talking about what is happening now, and what so many of the Irish people are protesting about now, and have been for 10 years.    Read the bloody evidence of what they have been used for and stop warbling on.

Yes we are talking about now potty mouth, which it seems you are avoiding my points, so try again.

What evidence is there the base is being used to attack anywhere?

None

What planes have been seen there?

Military Transports

I think it is wrong she was arrested, what I am questioning is her morals over more pressing issue's in Ireland, where there is still problems with the real IRA

The fact is Sassy you just read something and never look further than what you have read, again I admit what is done to her is wrong, not my point here, my point is protesting what amounts to nothing based upon assumptions!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Oh piss off - U Boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    We are talking about what is happening now, and what so many of the Irish people are protesting about now, and have been for 10 years.    Read the bloody evidence of what they have been used for and stop warbling on.

As you feel so strongly, I take it you will be jumping on a plane and going to replace her?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:12 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

I live near Shannon. I remember when all this happened. There were loads of protests. I can't remember the details now, but an awful lot of people felt very strongly about this. Plus, you say what's the fuss, they only used it for transport. Well suppose there was a war; do you not think Shannon would be a target for anyone anti-American? Using the airport makes it a military base in effect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:12 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Sassy wrote:

As you feel so strongly, I take it you will be jumping on a plane and going to replace her?

Yes, Sassy, you really should.
After all, like you said, your opinion doesn't mean anything unless you're some great martyr for [insert cause here], right, Sassy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:13 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Yes we are talking about now potty mouth, which it seems you are avoiding my points, so try again.

None

Military Transports

I think it is wrong she was arrested, what I am questioning is her morals over more pressing issue's in Ireland, where there is still problems with the real IRA

The fact is Sassy you just read something and never look further than what you have read, again I admit what is done to her is wrong, not my point here, my point is protesting what amounts to nothing based upon assumptions!

Why don't you actually read up what the planes are being used for? No assumptions, they know. You obviously don't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 pm

Tess. wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

I live near Shannon.  I remember when all this happened.  There were loads of protests.  I can't remember the details now, but an awful lot of people felt very strongly about this.  Plus, you say what's the fuss, they only used it for transport.  Well suppose there was a war; do you not think Shannon would be a target for anyone anti-American? Using the airport makes it a military base in effect.

I understand how people can be led to believe something is happening Tess when there is no evidence to suggest why they are stopping and using the base. The fact is much of this is all speculation, considering there are plenty of american air bases around the world of which only some are used for military operations.
I see no evidence to suggest this is!
Again I feel there are far more pressing matters that would benefit from peace protests than this, one that actually really matters to the Irish

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:16 pm

This was when all the fuss here happened:

Concerns grow in Ireland over use of Shannon airport as US military stopover·
330,000 US troops passed through airport in 2005
State denies knowledge of CIA rendition flights

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/jan/21/usa.ciarendition

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

None

Military Transports

Why don't you actually read up what the planes are being used for?   No assumptions, they know.   You obviously don't.

Yes I have, and see no evidence it is being used for bombing anywhere as being claimed in your links.

Again I think the Real IRA is a more pressing issue for peace protesters in Ireland than some transport planes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Tess. wrote:This was when all the fuss here happened:

So this has been going on for ages as a stop over for transporting troops and any threats to Ireland over this?

This is also denied as well, so much of this again is speculation Tess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:20 pm

http://www.shannonwatch.org/page/military-use-shannon-airport

It has been used to carry people for rendition (such a nice phrase for such a disgusting thing) and they are carry munitions.

Permits Issued to Carry Munitions of War through Ireland or Irish Airspace

The Chicage Convention states that "no munitions of war may be carried in or above the territory of another State in aircraft engaged in international navigation, except by permission of such State". This covers "civilian" aircraft only. In Ireland the Minister for Transport routinely receives requests to carry munitions from aircraft landing at Shannon or passing through Irish airspace. The vast majority of these requests are from aircraft chartered by the US military.

The number of requests made and permits granted to carry munitions are as follows: see link

The Irish people have every right to protest about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:21 pm

Honest to god Tess, it's pointless. 'The New Mandela' here will go round and round in circles and never get the bloody point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Sassy wrote:

We do, yes.
That doesn't mean that some of us think that certain matters might be far more deserving of attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:24 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Sassy wrote:

We do, yes.
That doesn't mean that some of us think that certain matters might be far more deserving of attention.

Exactly Queen and what is funny though is sassy using the source of research I looked into and stated for her, in other words assumptions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:26 pm

PhilDidge wrote:

So this has been going on for ages as a stop over for transporting troops and any threats to Ireland over this?

We seem to be diverting from the point a bit. Whether or not you think the woman's protest is important to you or anyone, do you still think it's right to jail a very elderly sick woman for holding a peace protest? Yes or no.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Sassy wrote:http://www.shannonwatch.org/page/military-use-shannon-airport

It has been used to carry people for rendition (such a nice phrase for such a disgusting thing) and they are carry munitions.

The Chicage Convention states that "no munitions of war may be carried in or above the territory of another State in aircraft engaged in international navigation, except by permission of such State". This covers "civilian" aircraft only. In Ireland the Minister for Transport routinely receives requests to carry munitions from aircraft landing at Shannon or passing through Irish airspace. The vast majority of these requests are from aircraft chartered by the US military.

The number of requests made and permits granted to carry munitions are as follows: see link

ahhhhhhhh

renditions

i love renditions

my favorites are "please don't water board me ill tell you everything" sung by Muhammad jihad and the four lions

and

"not the electrode not the electrode oh Allah please no!! no the electrodes again" performed by Ahmed the newly converted Muslim artist artist formerly known as mike

cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Tess. wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

We seem to be diverting from the point a bit.  Whether or not you think the woman's protest is important to you or anyone, do you still think it's right to jail a very elderly sick woman for holding a peace protest?  Yes or no.

If you read back Tess I already said that part was wrong.

My points is on her ethics, when I believe her protesting would be better suited to more pressing matters in Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Military Use of Shannon Airport

Shannon Airport has been used by the US military on their way to/from Iraq and Afghanistan for over a decade. It has also operated as a stopover point for CIA rendition planes. All this came about without the permission of the Irish people. As a result we are all complicit in gross violations of human rights, the killing of innocent civilians, and unending cycles of suffering for millions of people.

Since 2002 over 2.25 million armed US troops have gone through Shannon Airport. The numbers were at their highest in 2005 when Shannon facilitated 341,000 soldiers on their way to war. The figures for 2012 were less than half that number, but this decrease does not in any way diminish Ireland's complicity in war.

US Troops Passing Through Shannon Since 2002
YEAR TOTAL
2002 73,000
2003 122,000
2004 159,000
2005 341,000
2006 281,000
2007 263,000
2008 256,000
2009 265,000
2010 229,000
2011 250,000

US Military-Related Flights Through Shannon

There are approximately 20 US military-related flights landing at Shannon every week. These include U.S. troop carriers, as well as U.S. Air Force and Navy planes such as C-130 Hercules, in-flight refueling aircraft, executive jets and others.

Most of the US troops passing through Shannon Airport are on board flights that are classified as "civilian" flights. These are governed by the 1944 Convention on International Civil Aviation (known as the Chicago Convention).

The troop carriers passing through Shannon are operated by Omni Air International or Sun Country Alliance. The Irish government has acknowledged since 2003 that the troops on board these aircraft have their personal weapons with them.

Shannonwatch has recorded of the following numbers of such flights through Shannon in 2013:
MONTH COUNT
January 72
February 55
March 27
April 58
May 27

The number of "civilian" troop flights recorded by Shannonwatch in pevious years are as follows:
YEAR COUNT
2009 3174
2010 2605
2011 2651
2012 991

In addition to these troop flights, other US "military" aircraft also pass through Shannon. Military aircraft means any aircraft operated by the armed forces of a State; bearing the military markings of that State; commanded by a member of the armed forces; or controlled, manned or pre-programmed by a crew subject to regular armed forces discipline.

A total of 608 military flights landed at Shannon in 2012. Of these, 548 (90%) were US military aircraft.

A much larger number of troop and military cargo flights, as well as military flights pass through Irish airspace.

The number of requests made and permits granted to carry munitions are as follows:
YEAR NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS MADE NUMBER OF PERMITS ISSUED
2007 1517 1495
2008 1387 1359
2009 1306 1276
2010 1352 1307
2011 1393 1382
2012 821 807

In 2012 the breakdown by country of the applicants to carry munitions was as follows: US 758 (92%), United Arab Emirates 32, UK 9, Switzerland 3, Russia 2, Portugal 2, Ukraine 1. The number that were for aircraft that landed at Shannon Airport was 557.

Seeing that you can't be bothered to read the links.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Tess. wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

We seem to be diverting from the point a bit.  Whether or not you think the woman's protest is important to you or anyone, do you still think it's right to jail a very elderly sick woman for holding a peace protest?  Yes or no.

Of course they do, because they have never had the guts to protest about anything in their lives. Cap doffers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Tess. wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

A suspended sentence would have been more appropriate I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:30 pm

So no bombing and still lots of speculations.

Again far more pressing protesting in the north needed than claims to something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Sassy wrote:
Tess. wrote:

Of course they do, because they have never had the guts to protest about anything in their lives.   Cap doffers.

You can't criticise theft unless you were poor at one stage
Quality logic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Sassy wrote:
Tess. wrote:

Of course they do, because they have never had the guts to protest about anything in their lives.   Cap doffers.

You have packed for your trip to Shannon then?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:32 pm

I've gotta say if it comes down to saying D'Arcy didn't pick the right protest, your argument is weak, didge.

It's like criticizing one for contributing to this charity over that charity. Such a choice is relative; it's just your opinion.

One of my daughters is left-handed. I might protest on behalf of left-handed people, because I have a personal stake. I don't think I've chosen wrongly, although some might criticize me for being frivolous. Meh...that's your opinion.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Quality logic.

So true, absurd logic indeed , really made me chuckle that Queen.

lol! 

Have to go so enjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Quality logic.

The logic is that if you have never got up off your bottom and protested, you wouldn't admire her, because you wouldn't know the guts it takes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:34 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:

Quality logic.

lol! 

Have to go so enjoy

Never protested about anything in your life have you. Let the establishment roll over you and tell them to do it again.

Last edited by Sassy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Original Quill wrote:I've gotta say if it comes down to saying D'Arcy didn't pick the right protest, your argument is weak, didge.

It's like criticizing one for contributing to this charity over that charity.  Such a choice is relative; it's just your opinion.

One of my daughters is left-handed.  I might protest on behalf of left-handed people, because I have a personal stake.  I don't think I've chosen wrongly, although some might criticize me for being frivolous.  Meh...that's your opinion.

How is it weak, because you believe in different principles to what I do, being as I have more knowledge and experience of what it is like with Northern Ireland, being as have lost family to this conflict?
My reality is some matters more close to home are far more important, because I hope one day to see a united Ireland one of peace.

So to me someone so good at peace protesting is best served in more pressing issue closer to home

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:35 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Tess. wrote:

My points is on her ethics, when I believe her protesting would be better suited to more pressing matters in Ireland
Well really, who are you to tell her what she should and shouldn't be protesting about! Might as well tell Greenpeace that their protesting would be better suited to illegal immigrants, or Anonymous that they should protest about animal welfare! Each to their own. And the fact in spite of being so old and frail she still goes out to stand up for what she believes in gets my respect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

lol! 

Have to go so enjoy

Never protested about anything in your life have you.   Let the establishment roll over you and tell them to do it again.

Well that is where you are very wrong and that is not even a counter just being ever so childish with a reply

Back to top Go down

Sassy wrote:Military Use of Shannon Airport

Shannon Airport has been used by the US military on their way to/from Iraq and Afghanistan for over a decade. It has also operated as a stopover point for CIA rendition planes. All this came about without the permission of the Irish people. As a result we are all complicit in gross violations of human rights, the killing of innocent civilians, and unending cycles of suffering for millions of people.

Since 2002 over 2.25 million armed US troops have gone through Shannon Airport. The numbers were at their highest in 2005 when Shannon facilitated 341,000 soldiers on their way to war. The figures for 2012 were less than half that number, but this decrease does not in any way diminish Ireland's complicity in war.

US Troops Passing Through Shannon Since 2002
YEAR TOTAL
2002 73,000
2003 122,000
2004 159,000
2005 341,000
2006 281,000
2007 263,000
2008 256,000
2009 265,000
2010 229,000
2011 250,000

US Military-Related Flights Through Shannon

There are approximately 20 US military-related flights landing at Shannon every week. These include U.S. troop carriers, as well as U.S. Air Force and Navy planes such as C-130 Hercules, in-flight refueling aircraft, executive jets and others.

Most of the US troops passing through Shannon Airport are on board flights that are classified as "civilian" flights. These are governed by the 1944 Convention on International Civil Aviation (known as the Chicago Convention).

The troop carriers passing through Shannon are operated by Omni Air International or Sun Country Alliance. The Irish government has acknowledged since 2003 that the troops on board these aircraft have their personal weapons with them.

Shannonwatch has recorded of the following numbers of such flights through Shannon in 2013:
MONTH COUNT
January 72
February 55
March 27
April 58
May 27

The number of "civilian" troop flights recorded by Shannonwatch in pevious years are as follows:
YEAR COUNT
2009 3174
2010 2605
2011 2651
2012 991

In addition to these troop flights, other US "military" aircraft also pass through Shannon. Military aircraft means any aircraft operated by the armed forces of a State; bearing the military markings of that State; commanded by a member of the armed forces; or controlled, manned or pre-programmed by a crew subject to regular armed forces discipline.

A total of 608 military flights landed at Shannon in 2012. Of these, 548 (90%) were US military aircraft.

A much larger number of troop and military cargo flights, as well as military flights pass through Irish airspace.

The number of requests made and permits granted to carry munitions are as follows:
YEAR NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS MADE NUMBER OF PERMITS ISSUED
2007 1517 1495
2008 1387 1359
2009 1306 1276
2010 1352 1307
2011 1393 1382
2012 821 807

In 2012 the breakdown by country of the applicants to carry munitions was as follows: US 758 (92%), United Arab Emirates 32, UK 9, Switzerland 3, Russia 2, Portugal 2, Ukraine 1. The number that were for aircraft that landed at Shannon Airport was 557.

Seeing that you can't be bothered to read the links.

thanks sassy i read it

and my thoughts are - so what

i don't quite understand what yours so upset about

Back to top Go down

Tess. wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Well really, who are you to tell her what she should and shouldn't be protesting about!  Might as well tell Greenpeace that their protesting would be better suited to illegal immigrants, or Anonymous that they should protest about animal welfare!  Each to their own.  And the fact in spite of being so old and frail she still goes out to stand up for what she believes in gets my respect.

Absolutely spot on!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next