NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

+4
Irn Bru
Ben Reilly
Original Quill
Clarkson
8 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy - Page 3 Empty Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

Margaretta D'Arcy, the acclaimed Irish writer and peace activist, is serving a three-month prison sentence in Ireland for her protests at the US military use of Shannon airport.

She could have avoided the jail term if she had agreed to sign a bond to uphold the law and stay away from unauthorised zones at Shannon. She refused to do so and was taken into custody last Wednesday (15 January).

But the Irish authorities have been confronted with a torrent of protest, and a measure of embarrassment, since D'Arcy, who is 79 and suffering from cancer, was incarcerated in Limerick prison.

She has been visited by Sabina Higgins, wife of Ireland's president, Michael D Higgins. And protests on behalf of D'Arcy have been growing day by day. Some 240 artists have called for D'Arcy's release, including journalist Nell McCafferty, film-maker Lelia Doolan and former UN assistant secretary-general Denis Halliday.

Yesterday's demonstration outside the Dail - as in the video above - was attended by several politicians, journalists, writers and supportive members of the public.

Former staff of the late, lamented Irish Press will spot one of their old colleagues, the poet Hugh McFadden, among the protestors.

D'Arcy is no stranger to prison, having been arrested on dozens of occasions down the years. She was a campaigner against the Vietnam War and British involvement in Northern Ireland. She also joined the Greenham Commons peace camp.

Her latest arrest has certainly heightened interest in, and opposition to, what D'Arcy has called "acts of unfathomable criminality" by the American military at Shannon.

She lives in Galway and, apart from receiving treatment for cancer, also suffers from arthritis in her neck.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/jan/23/protest-ireland

The lady is an inspiration and has stuck to her principles for so many years.

This has a lot more info on why she is doing it:

http://www.shannonwatch.org/

Back to top Go down

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy - Page 3 Empty Re: Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:38 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Of course they do, because they have never had the guts to protest about anything in their lives.   Cap doffers.

You have packed for your trip to Shannon then?!

Sorry Folks I tried  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy - Page 3 Empty Re: Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:39 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

You have packed for your trip to Shannon then?!

.....To shit stir, like you always do on here. Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Tess. wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

If you read back Tess I already said that part was wrong.

My points is on her ethics, when I believe her protesting would be better suited to more pressing matters in Ireland
Well really, who are you to tell her what she should and shouldn't be protesting about!  Might as well tell Greenpeace that their protesting would be better suited to illegal immigrants, or Anonymous that they should protest about animal welfare!  Each to their own.  And the fact in spite of being so old and frail she still goes out to stand up for what she believes in gets my respect.

I have every right to say what I think is best suited for protesting by the Irish people, being as half my family is from there Tess, being as what I speak of has much history with my family and pain, hence why it is more important to me than some transport planes, which I think is a waste of time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Catman wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Er no she made a witty point, so grow up, you just tried to start by claiming something that was clearly wrong on your part!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Catman wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Protests mount in Ireland over jailing of Margaretta D'Arcy - Page 3 Violin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Right Queen, bearing in mind that the Irish haven't got a hive mind as you said, Didge has the right to tell you what to protest about anyway, after all, it's his inheritance!  lol! 

Talk about full of himself!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Tess. wrote:
Well really, who are you to tell her what she should and shouldn't be protesting about!  Might as well tell Greenpeace that their protesting would be better suited to illegal immigrants, or Anonymous that they should protest about animal welfare!  Each to their own.  And the fact in spite of being so old and frail she still goes out to stand up for what she believes in gets my respect.

I have every right to say what I think is best suited for protesting by the Irish people, being as half my family is from there Tess, being as what I speak of has much history with my family and pain, hence why it is more important to me than some transport planes, which I think is a waste of time
It's more important TO YOU - doesn't mean it's more important to her!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Tess. wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

It's more important TO YOU - doesn't mean it's more important to her!!!

But he has the right to tell her Tess, didn't you realise? Didge has the right to tell everyone in Ireland what to protest about. It's his family you know!  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Catman wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Bullshit comment, Phil.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:56 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Catman wrote:

Er no she made a witty point, so grow up, you just tried to start by claiming something that was clearly wrong on your part!

Oh terribly witty when I'm in the middle of chemo, but at least I know in the past I have got up and protested, many, many times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:57 pm

People are happy to see an old woman locked up for a protest but ignore the use of Shannon Airport by the US military in breach of international regulations on rendition flights and the transit of US military aircraft and troops? Was she armed? Was she threatening to blow someone up?

Wrong priorities I would say.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Irn Bru wrote:People are happy to see an old woman locked up for a protest but ignore the use of Shannon Airport by the US military in breach of international regulations on rendition flights and the transit of US military aircraft and troops? Was she armed? Was she threatening to blow someone up?

that's purely subjective

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:08 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:People are happy to see an old woman locked up for a protest but ignore the use of Shannon Airport by the US military in breach of international regulations on rendition flights and the transit of US military aircraft and troops? Was she armed? Was she threatening to blow someone up?

that's purely subjective

Are you saying that no military transport aircraft or aircraft carrying troops went through Shannon Airport?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Oh terribly witty when I'm in the middle of chemo, but at least I know in the past I have got up and protested, many, many times.

Bang of out order to say that sassy, so people cannot be witty now because of your treatment. Yes I hate you are suffering at the moment but don't pull that guilt bullshit on me, that is low beyond belief

So you have protested as many others have, so what, none of which has any relevance to the debate, or my points I have made, being as the problems in Northern Ireland matter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:11 pm

It is wrong she was banged, up but yes her priorities are wrong here Irn as to me there are more pressing matters that her work would be better suited to

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:19 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Bang of out order to say that sassy, so people cannot be witty now because of your treatment. Yes I hate you are suffering at the moment but don't pull that guilt bullshit on me, that is low beyond belief

So you have protested as many others have, so what, none of which has any relevance to the debate, or my points I have made, being as the problems in Northern Ireland matter

She asked if I had booked by flight to Shannon Airport, knowing full well I couldn't even if I wanted to. Right, and you thought it witty. After all the 'I'm sorry for your condition' etc. Got nothing to do with guilt. You have no need to feel guilty about me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

that's purely subjective

Are you saying that no military transport aircraft or aircraft carrying troops went through Shannon Airport?

no im saying that her protest is subjective

from her point of view she see the above things as wrong

from mine they are good and right

yes including the rendition of terrorists

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:21 pm

PhilDidge wrote:

It is wrong she was banged, up but yes her priorities are wrong here Irn as to me there are more pressing matters that her work would be better suited to

Who the hell do you think you are? What right have you got to tell her what her priorities should be. As she has been an activist for many years, make films about things, written books about injustices, I think she has a damn sight more right to decide what her priorities are than you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:23 pm

PhilDidge wrote:

I expected many people said that as well about Emily Pankhurst when she got locked up.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Oh for god sake why do you always pull the poor me card?
Low very low

She is 90 and got cancer!!!!!!!

You are not the only one with health and or personal problems, if Chemo is affecting you go take a rest.

Sits back waiting for howls of hypocrital outrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:26 pm

Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Who the hell do you think you are?   What right have you got to tell her what her priorities should be.   As she has been an activist for many years, make films about things, written books about injustices, I think she has a damn sight more right to decide what her priorities are than you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why isn't she in afghan protesting the abuse of woman??

why isn't she in Pakistan protesting the systematic persecution of the Christian minority?

oh yes

its nice and safe in Ireland

gotta hand it to the old bird she picks her protests wisely

even that pig George Galloway had more minerals - he at least went to "Palestine" in aid convoys

no time for fair weather peace activists

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:30 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Oh for god sake why do you always pull the poor me card?
Low very low

She is 90 and got cancer!!!!!!!

You are not the only one with health and or personal problems, if Chemo is affecting you go take a rest.

Sits back waiting for howls of hypocrital outrage

But you're comment really wasn't meant to be witty was it?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Sassy wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:

Quality logic.

The logic is that if you have never got up off your bottom and protested, you wouldn't admire her, because you wouldn't know the guts it takes.

The logic is equivalent to teenagers crying because mom and dad just don't understand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Someone doesn't like what you're doing?
Come up with some bullshit reasoning to try and shame them into silence!
Best. Tactic. Ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:Someone doesn't like what you're doing?
Best. Tactic. Ever.

Large round of applause !

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Best. Tactic. Ever.

That's what the Irish government have done by locking her up, isn't it?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Best. Tactic. Ever.

Trespassing is fine if it suits my political agenda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Sassy wrote:

The logic is that if you have never got up off your bottom and protested, you wouldn't admire her, because you wouldn't know the guts it takes.

The logic is equivalent to teenagers crying because mom and dad just don't understand

The logic is equivalent to "it's all about me me me" and "look at me me me". The reason for the protest fades into the background because it's more about the protesters than the cause  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Trespassing is fine if it suits my political agenda

alien alien alien

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:57 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Sassy wrote:

The logic is equivalent to "it's all about me me me" and "look at me me me". The reason for the protest fades into the background because it's more about the protesters than the cause  Rolling Eyes 

No, I think that Margaretta D'Arcy cared more about the cause that she was protesting about than she did about herself.
Why would it be anything other than that?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:58 pm

People through the centuries, especially women, have got things done by bringing attention to it by breaking the law. We wouldn't have the vote unless they had.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

No, I think that Margaretta D'Arcy cared more about the cause that she was protesting about than she did about herself.

Sorry Irn, I wasn't referring to Margaretta tbh  Neutral 

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:00 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

But that's what this thread is about. Why would it be about anyone else?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

To be honest Irn this thread has descended into "I've protested for the cause", "I'm a better protester and more committed than you" and "You are weak willed and never protested against anything which makes you a bad person"  Rolling Eyes 

More about the protester and little about the cause itself  No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Sassy wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

She asked if I had booked by flight to Shannon Airport, knowing full well I couldn't even if I wanted to.  Right, and you thought it witty.   After all the 'I'm sorry for your condition' etc.   Got nothing to do with guilt.   You have no need to feel guilty about me.  

Yes you are tryng to use guilt on me because I said Nems was being witty as if it is a crime to you. Jesus I give Nicko a hard times loads but hate the fact he is suffering and would gladly take it away from both of you if I could, but he never throws that kind of shit in my face

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:15 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Sassy wrote:

She asked if I had booked by flight to Shannon Airport, knowing full well I couldn't even if I wanted to.  Right, and you thought it witty.   After all the 'I'm sorry for your condition' etc.   Got nothing to do with guilt.   You have no need to feel guilty about me.  

Yes you are tryng to use guilt on me because I said Nems was being witty as if it is a crime to you. Jesus I give Nicko a hard times loads but hate the fact he is suffering and would gladly take it away from both of you  if I could, but he never throws that kind of shit in my face

Some people will use anything to try and win an online argument  No 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

I expected many people said that as well about Emily Pankhurst when she got locked up.

Who knows but to me a more pressing matter in Ireland that needs 100% is the troubles still being done by the Real IRA, part of the job has been done to end troubles there but more needs to be done.
Sorry in my view Irn protesting this to me loses site of the bigger picture in Ireland with its troubles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:16 pm

feelthelove wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Yes you are tryng to use guilt on me because I said Nems was being witty as if it is a crime to you. Jesus I give Nicko a hard times loads but hate the fact he is suffering and would gladly take it away from both of you  if I could, but he never throws that kind of shit in my face

Thanks FTL, cannot believe she said that, I hate she is suffering, but that really was poor to throw that at me

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

To be honest Irn this thread has descended into "I've protested for the cause", "I'm a better protester and more committed than you" and "You are weak willed and never protested against anything which makes you a bad person"  Rolling Eyes 

More about the protester and little about the cause itself  No

So this thread has descended into discussing another member who said that she has been an active protester in the past. And where has this member said what you have written above?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Thanks FTL, cannot believe she said that, I hate she is suffering, but that really was poor to throw that at me

It was only to get at me Didge, Im sorry you got caught up in it.

Its as FTL correctly states some will do anything because winning an online argument is everything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:31 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Its as FTL correctly  states some will do anything because winning an online argument is everything

No worries Nems, not your fault, you would say something like that, though I will let it drop due to the heat of debate can make people say silly things at times.

Thanks anyway

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Who knows but to me a more pressing matter in Ireland that needs 100% is the troubles still being done by the Real IRA, part of the job has been done to end troubles there but more needs to be done.
Sorry in my view Irn protesting this to me loses site of the bigger picture in Ireland with its troubles

Like I said. Ignore what is going on at Shannon airport in that military transport aircraft and troops have been channeled through Ireland and just let it go on. Some people don't agree with that and are prepared to protest against it. She's an old woman and hardly likely to be an armed terrorist or a physical threat to anyone.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:34 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Its as FTL correctly  states some will do anything because winning an online argument is everything

And your original comment was only to get at Sassy, right?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

No worries Nems, not your fault, you would say something like that, though I will let it drop due to the heat of debate can make people say silly things at times.

Thanks anyway

Well said Didge someone had to be the grown up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:53 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Thanks anyway

Thanks Nems, sorry I meant to say you would not say a thing like that, though I know you knew what I meant

Anyway back to the debate.

Irn, sorry the belief of troops being passed through Ireland really does not concern me in the slightest, sorry being again how the conflict up North has affected my family I consider that problem insignificant to what I see as the real need for peace protesting with the troubles in the north

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:55 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Thanks anyway

Well grow up then maybe you should consider not posting provocative comments like you did.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:58 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Thanks anyway

Thanks Nems, sorry I meant to say you would not say a thing like that, though I know you knew what I meant

Irn, sorry the belief of troops being passed through Ireland really does not concern me in the slightest, sorry being again how the conflict up North has affected my family I consider that problem insignificant to what I see as the real need for peace protesting with the troubles in the north

It does not concern you Didge but it concerns an awful lot more people who are prepared to protest and speak up about what is going on at Shannon Airport and why shouldn't they?.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:01 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

No worries Didge the more things change the more they stay the same as the saying goes  lol! 

A new guy has recently started at our place he is from Belfast and from what he has said to me I think he would agree with you

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:05 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

No worries Didge the more things change the more they stay the same as the saying goes  lol! 

A new guy has recently started at our place he is from Belfast and from what he has said to me I think he would agree with you

I agree with you on what is highlighted above because that's what will happen at Shannon Airport if people don't speak out and question what is going on.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

I agree with you on what is highlighted above because that's what will happen at Shannon Airport if people don't speak out and question what is going on.

Affecting millions of people, not just hundreds. Why anyone thinks they have the right to tell someone else what they should protest about is beyond me. Talk about ego.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next