NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN

+4
Syl
nicko
Tommy Monk
HoratioTarr
8 posters

Go down

Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN Empty Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:28 am

A 14-year-old girl who died from cancer has become the first British child to be cryogenically frozen after a judge agreed to her dying wish so that one day she could 'be cured and woken up'.
The teenager, who cannot be named, died last month and is now in a 'cryostat' tank at around -196C (-321F) inside the Michigan-based Cryonics Institute, it can be reported for the first time today.
She was at the centre of a fierce legal battle between her divorced parents - with her mother agreeing to her wish to be frozen while her estranged father refused because of its £37,000 cost and the brutal process of preserving her.
During the landmark case she wrote an extraordinary letter to a judge while on her death bed.
She said: 'I am only 14-years-old and I don't want to die but I know I am going to die.
'I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they may find a cure for my cancer and wake me up. I want to have this chance. This is my wish.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3947826/Teenager-cancer-victim-14-British-child-cryogenically-frozen-winning-court-battle-against-father.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN Empty Re: Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:29 am

The only people ever to benefit from this is the fat cats at the cryo company. Very sad but typical of our times.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN Empty Re: Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:53 am

So who's paying for it...?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:14 pm

It doesn't work, deep frozen causes blood to "crystalise" and destroys blood platelets. Now that is something I remember reading about.

I am sure i'v got it wrong, so can some "expert" put me right please?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:35 pm

If it was to work and she was to be brought back to life in the distant future....what a giant step for mankind that would be.

Not something I would ever want to do in a million years, but at 14 she has not had the chance to live at all, so I can understand why she would want this.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:28 pm

The child is dead. If she was my child I would not want her waking into a strange world far into the future where any nightmare might befall her. Leave her at rest - and at peace.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Agreed ziz.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Spindleshanks Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:21 pm

nicko wrote:It doesn't work,   deep frozen causes blood to "crystalise" and destroys blood platelets.  Now that is something I remember reading about.

This will explain how it works

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/genetic/cryonics2.htm
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:48 pm

I got the basics right didn't I.?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:34 pm

nicko wrote:
It doesn't work,   deep frozen causes blood to "crystalise" and destroys blood platelets.  Now that is something I remember reading about.

cyclops

Yep,  deep freezing will destroy bllod cells, both red bllod cells (platelets) and 'white blood cells' (leucocytes), and anything else;  nicko...

But, there's even more :

Deep freezing meat (i.e. muscles, and large organs..) -- the intercellular and intracellular fluids expand when frozen, butsting the cell walls (for a clear demonstration, leave a bottle of water, or beer, in a freezer for a few hours..). When thawed, these fluids will mix together, than start attacking/digesting the cells, and then the surrounding tissues..  Just look at how thawed out meat and poultry goes 'slimy' if left thawed, and not cooked immediately;  and how that meat that's thawed and re-frozen will turn out weird and funky, even if it hasn't gone off...

And, you can also consider what it's like with severe frost bite --  it can be treated, but it can't be "cured", nor reversed.  Once somebody has had bad frost bite on an extremity, that part ofmthe body can't be allowed,to re-freeze, else it's lost..           Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN 2981866455

Some of those companies offering the false hopes of cryogenics will drain the blood,and lymphatic fluid from the corpse --  but they can't do anything about the cell structures.. Yet another scam, on the part of those companies.

Also,  even if the brain wasn't reduced to mush from freezing and thawing, there won't be anything in there --  any memories, thoughts, personalty, character traits --  all of that disappears once the 'spark' is gone..  Once you're 'brain dead',  you're permanently dead...         Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN 1363015401

And for anyone who believes in souls/spirits/ a"life force"  --  that soul or spirit has lost it's connection with the body once deceased --  never to return..  IF some future 'Dr. Frankenstein' were to re-animate a frozen corpse, would it be anything more than an unfeeling, unthinking and soulless zombie lump of meat ?

The very fact that some unscrupolous companies are offering the false hopes of cryogenically storing a corpse until some miracle cure is available in some far-off fanciful future,  only goes to prove that it doesn't necessarily take intelligence to gain excessive wealth --  some people really DO have too much money..        Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN 1399249160
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:20 pm

nicko wrote:It doesn't work,   deep frozen causes blood to "crystalise" and destroys blood platelets.  Now that is something I remember reading about.

I think the blood gets drained...?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:28 pm

There's the ethical standpoint too. All that money could have been put towards research into her disease, or perhaps some of her healthy organs might have been donated, like her corneas. Death is death, and it's as much a part of life as being born. Our whole attitude to death is often one based on fear.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Spindleshanks Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:54 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
nicko wrote:
It doesn't work,   deep frozen causes blood to "crystalise" and destroys blood platelets.  Now that is something I remember reading about.

cyclops

Yep,  deep freezing will destroy bllod cells, both red bllod cells (platelets) and 'white blood cells' (leucocytes), and anything else;  nicko...

But, there's even more :

Deep freezing meat (i.e. muscles, and large organs..) -- the intercellular and intracellular fluids expand when frozen, butsting the cell walls (for a clear demonstration, leave a bottle of water, or beer, in a freezer for a few hours..). When thawed, these fluids will mix together, than start attacking/digesting the cells, and then the surrounding tissues..  Just look at how thawed out meat and poultry goes 'slimy' if left thawed, and not cooked immediately;  and how that meat that's thawed and re-frozen will turn out weird and funky, even if it hasn't gone off...

And, you can also consider what it's like with severe frost bite --  it can be treated, but it can't be "cured", nor reversed.  Once somebody has had bad frost bite on an extremity, that part ofmthe body can't be allowed,to re-freeze, else it's lost..           Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN 2981866455

Some of those companies offering the false hopes of cryogenics will drain the blood,and lymphatic fluid from the corpse --  but they can't do anything about the cell structures.. Yet another scam, on the part of those companies.

Also,  even if the brain wasn't reduced to mush from freezing and thawing, there won't be anything in there --  any memories, thoughts, personalty, character traits --  all of that disappears once the 'spark' is gone..  Once you're 'brain dead',  you're permanently dead...         Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN 1363015401

And for anyone who believes in souls/spirits/ a"life force"  --  that soul or spirit has lost it's connection with the body once deceased --  never to return..  IF some future 'Dr. Frankenstein' were to re-animate a frozen corpse, would it be anything more than an unfeeling, unthinking and soulless zombie lump of meat ?

The very fact that some unscrupolous companies are offering the false hopes of cryogenically storing a corpse until some miracle cure is available in some far-off fanciful future,  only goes to prove that it doesn't necessarily take intelligence to gain excessive wealth --  some people really DO have too much money..        Teenager cancer victim, 14, becomes the first British child to be cryogenically FROZEN 1399249160

I'm no fan of cryogenics but according to that link the brain takes several minutes after the heart stops beating (which they call legal death) to cease functioning. The link claims that as soon as the heart stops they preserve the brain function by ensuring it still gets oxygen which to me sounds like they put the person onto a form of life support Shocked after death.

Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Ziz wrote:The child is dead. If she was my child I would not want her waking into a strange world far into the future where any nightmare might befall her. Leave her at rest - and at peace.

Neither would I, all the people who love her in this world will probably be long dead.
But if this was her one wish before she died.....as a parent could you deny her that? I don't know whether I could if she was my child.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:26 pm

I wouldn't want it either. How do they know how these people will wake up, if they do. They are brain dead, so be like zombies. Their memory will be gone too. How do they propose to heal them in the future if they died from the illness. I can understand maybe if they're still alive and put in limbo for a cure, but not when dead. Nothing left of them at all, their souls/spirit/essence will have gone.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:48 pm

It's all a bit science fiction/ horror really.

I read the girls dad who also had cancer was prevented from seeing his daughter for years. Even at the end her mother denied him that right.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Syl wrote:
Ziz wrote:The child is dead. If she was my child I would not want her waking into a strange world far into the future where any nightmare might befall her. Leave her at rest - and at peace.

Neither would I, all the people who love her in this world will probably be long dead.
But if this was her one wish before she died.....as a parent could you deny her that? I don't know whether I could if she was my child.

Yes I could deny it -  until she is of age it is my legal responsibility to decide what is best for her welfare - besides, she's in no position to complain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yes I could deny it -  until she is of age it is my legal responsibility to decide what is best for her welfare - besides, she's in no position to complain.

Yes, I have thought more about this and I think I would probably agree with you.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Have you seen how much this costs? I think it's a con trick.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:45 pm

I do Nicko, how would anyone really know what they do after they've taken the money? No one is going to be alive to see this either. I think its all wrong.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Absolutely agree.
I find the idea hideous.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:55 am

Idea

WHAT HAPPENS if the company involved goes bust  ???

Even if certain guarantees, insurances and security were put in place to protect against straight-forward financial problems, there's still plenty of possible physical problems that could quite easily "upset their apple cart"..   E.g. :

Power failures
Mechanical breakdowns
Earthquakes
Civil wars, unrest
Major wars
Mankind goes extinct
The World Ends before anyone finds (a) a way to successfully revive those corpses; and (b) a way to cure whatever ailed them.

Suspect
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:05 pm

Apparently the father has not been able to see the daughter for 9 years because of the mother not letting him see her!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Apparently the father has not been able to see the daughter for 9 years because of the mother not letting him see her!

I already pointed that out Tommy.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Sorry...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:15 pm

Can we not have a "whip round" and pay for Tony Bliar to have it done NOW?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:16 pm

No problem.
I did wonder when I read that what sort of a mother she was to not allow the girls dad, who had cancer himself, to see his own daughter when she was dying.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Nicko... been reading that twat is trying to get involved in uk politics again...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down