NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved

+2
'Wolfie
eddie
6 posters

Go down

Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved Empty Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved

Post by eddie Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:06 pm

This article is a year old but I came across it again and found it to be a sad story that left me with mixed emotions.

Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved

Matheryn Naovaratpong is the youngest child to be preserved in this way
Earlier this year, a two-year-old Thai girl became the youngest person to be cryogenically frozen, preserving her brain moments after death in the hope that she will one day be brought back to life. The BBC's Jonathan Head visited her family outside Bangkok to ask why they chose to grieve this way.

The room where Matheryn Naovaratpong spent the last few months of her life is bare and white, furnished only with the drip-stand that helped sustain her, and her cot, also white. The only splash of colour in this austere setting comes from a small gold Buddhist statue, a few favourite stuffed toys, and a huge portrait of the little girl on the wall.

It has the feel of a shrine to a young life tragically cut short. Matheryin, or Einz as her family nicknamed her, developed a rare form of brain cancer just after her second birthday. She died on 8 January 2015, just before she turned three.

But by then her parents, both medical engineers, had made a decision that they hope may give Einz another chance of life.

"The first day Einz was sick, this idea came to my mind right away that we should do something scientifically for her, as much as is humanly possible at present," says her father, Sahatorn. "I felt a real conflict in my heart about this idea, but I also needed to hold onto it. So I explained my idea to my family."

That idea was to preserve Einz through technology known as cryonics. The body, or in Einz's case just her brain, is put into a deeply frozen state at the point of death, and kept that way until, at some point in the future, extraordinary advances in medical technology allow her to be revived, and for a new body to be created for her.

"As scientists we are 100% confident this will happen one day - we just don't know when," he said. "In the past we might have thought it would take 400 to 500 years, but right now we can imagine it might be possible in just 30 years."

'This will happen one day'

At first Sahatorn said it was difficult for the rest of the family to accept this idea, but as Einz's health deteriorated, they came round.

Pics and more http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34311502
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved Empty Re: Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Suspect           "Cryogenics" is a scam...

It will never work..
Proponents (i.e. those selling the fake promises..) like to claim that in a few hundred years, the relevent "sciences" will have progressed sufficiently, as to be able to resurrect a dead body (or head, for the cut-price option..).

But, what about the memories, the body's energy, the "life force", any spirit or "soul" (for those who believe in such concepts..) --  those factors that determine the person, their character and makeup  ? Those little things that determine who you actually are..  Just unfortunate that they are lost forever, once your body is truly deceased...

As for many of the body's tissues, just try this --  take a piece of meat that has been deep frozen, and allow it to thaw out on the sink; then come back to it when it has returned to room temperature..     Notice how it is becoming watery, slimy, different.   That's because the cellular fluid expanded when frozen, rupturing the cells walls, leaking out once thawed and mixing with intracellular fluids..   Irrepairable damage to many of the body's muscles and some organs, that the Cryogenics scamsters claim will be able to be reversed or overcome, in their predicted utopian future..

And that's if some future natural disaster, war, or perhaps financial/economic collapse of the relevent company,  hasn't destroyed the particular cryogenic facility in the meantime..

Those companies are simply preying on the hopes of desperate people with too much money, an inflated opinion of their own importance and worth,  and not much between their ears...          Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved 474684931

Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved Empty Re: Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:59 pm

I tend to agree with you - but the idea is that the technologies of the far future will overcome these problems - I wouldn't bet my pants on it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:00 pm

I'm with you wolfie. The idea creeps me out if I'm honest, but I can understand the desperation of the parents.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:01 pm

eddie wrote:I'm with you wolfie.  The idea creeps me out if I'm honest, but I can understand the desperation of the parents.

And if you have the cash to burn perhaps the hope it brings is good value. Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:04 pm

Ziz wrote:
eddie wrote:I'm with you wolfie.  The idea creeps me out if I'm honest, but I can understand the desperation of the parents.

And if you have the cash to burn perhaps the hope it brings is good value. Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved 2190311264

Yes and that's what it is Ziz, it's buying hope. I can understand that and sympathise with it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:07 pm

eddie wrote:
Ziz wrote:

Yes and that's what it is Ziz, it's buying hope. I can understand that and sympathise with it.

Personally I wouldn't want to live in an alien world without those I love - oblivion sounds preferable.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:10 pm

I,v heard of some company that just freezes heads !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:00 pm

I'm also really dubious, and imagine the horror if the thawing went wrong ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:09 am

It's grotesque.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:24 am

It's Stephen King's 'Pet Cemetry'
Freaked me out, that book.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:50 am

eddie wrote:It's Stephen King's 'Pet Cemetry'
Freaked me out, that book.

I know. I remember reading that years ago and thinking that it's every parents nightmare. But you'd probably do it too.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:04 am

hmm actually I hthink you may be able to regrow from just the brain if you kept enough of the spinal cord.
In theory there is undamaged DNA in the stem cells in the pituatriy gland.

if you but the brain in a 'womb' tank and worked out how to encourage it to start making cells again with that DNA map.... scratch
maybe

the question of 'souls' is interesting and maybe that is why no clone has lived long so far.
Frozen child: The youngest person to be cryogenically preserved 265384880
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:48 am

Veya I don't think the brain houses the soul. When I'm about later I'm going to look for some links to see if I can support this.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down