NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed

+4
Victorismyhero
eddie
nicko
Ben Reilly
8 posters

Go down

Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed Empty Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:27 pm

Science celebrity Stephen Hawking says the only way humankind can escape mass extinction is to find another planet.

And the clock is ticking.

During a speech Tuesday at Britain’s Oxford University Union, Hawking detailed the history of man’s understanding of the universe and reiterated that the future of humankind lies in space, the Daily Express reported.

“We must also continue to go into space for the future of humanity,” he said. “I don’t think we will survive another 1000 years without escaping beyond our fragile planet.”

This isn’t the first time the theoretical physicist has suggested that humankind must leave Earth in order to survive.

In January, during a BBC Reith lecture, Hawking said humankind is inching closer to demise, and it’s our fault.

He said it’s inevitable that a disaster, possibly of our making, will strike the planet.

"By that time we should have spread out into space, and to other stars, so a disaster on Earth would not mean the end of the human race,” he said during the BBC lecture.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2016/11/17/stephen-hawking-we-might-have-1000-years-left-earth/94012994/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed Empty Re: Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed

Post by nicko Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:34 pm

I'd say we don't have to wait 1,000 years.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed Empty Re: Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:41 pm

We'll easy find one within 1000 years - so back to not worrying about it. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:53 pm

Some idiot will press the "button" long before then don't you think?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:10 pm

nicko wrote:Some idiot will press the "button" long before then don't you think?

I fear so - but I like to look on the bright side.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Laughing They do look bright when they go off!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:17 pm

nicko wrote:Laughing They do look bright when they go off!

Not from underneath them.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Okay. I'd better get building a spaceship and finding me a planet!
Who's with me? cheers

And I won't let anyone fuck this one up.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:24 pm

theres lots of space spiders out there edie.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:25 pm

Just for an instant?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Lord Foul wrote:theres lots of space spiders out there edie.....

Space spiders? affraid
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:32 pm

nicko wrote:Just for an instant?

Not if you are kissing your arse goodbye. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:38 pm

eddie wrote:

Space spiders? affraid

watch "starship troopers" affraid
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
eddie wrote:

Space spiders? affraid

watch "starship troopers"  affraid

Well no! Not if it's going to freak me out!!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:51 pm

Don't worry Eddie, I have a big gun!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:54 pm

nicko wrote:Don't worry Eddie, I have a big gun!

Then you can be my bodyguard nicko
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:24 pm

yeah...but eddie.......nicko's a game shooter....you have to eat what he shoots.... Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:12 pm

Tom says its all codswallop. Climate change doesn't exist .
He must be right and Hawking must be be wrong because Toms a genius. He told us that.
So it must be true that he is much more cleverer than the cleverest scientist currently alive on earth
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:29 pm

do nothing much to do with the thread yet again ...just HA trolling

oh well we can ignore it then
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed 3018442852

THINK how much better of Earth would be,  without Mankind abusing it constantly...

Won't worry me if humanity goes extinct within a thousand years..

Even if it only takes a few hundred years.

I won't be around to see it..         cyclops
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:26 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed 3018442852

THINK how much better of Earth would be,  without Mankind abusing it constantly...

Won't worry me if humanity goes extinct within a thousand years..

Even if it only takes a few hundred years.

I won't be around to see it..         cyclops

Stephen Hawking: Find a new planet to settle with 1,000 years or we're doomed TsTLOjs
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:55 am

Handy Andy wrote:Tom says its all codswallop. (1)

Climate change doesn't  exist .(2)

He must be right and Hawking must be be wrong because Toms a genius. (3)

He told us that. (4)

So it must be true that he is much more cleverer than the cleverest scientist currently alive on earth (5)

1. I haven't commented on this thread or anywhere else on the article posted on op...

2. Don't see any mention of 'climate change' in op...

3. Anyone can make a prediction of the future... it can't be proved right until it actually happens... and as I haven't made any prediction then I can't be wrong... and as you say Hawking has only made a speculative 1000 year prediction ... it can't be proved right until it has actually happened...

4. ?

5. So it must be true that I'm much more cleverer than the cleverest of the clever people currently claiming to be clever here in clever town...?

Laughing

Last edited by Tommy Monk on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:18 am

Tommy Monk wrote:
Handy Andy wrote:Tom says its all codswallop. (1)

Climate change doesn't  exist .(2)

He must be right and Hawking must be be wrong because Toms a genius. (3)

He told us that. (4)

So it must be true that he is much more cleverer than the cleverest scientist currently alive on earth (5)

1. I haven't commented on this thread or anywhere else on the article posted on op...

2. Don't see any mention of 'climate change' in op...

3. Anyone can make a prediction of the future... it can't be proved right until it actually happens... and as I haven't made any prediction then I can't be wrong... and as you say Hawking has only made a speculative 1000 year prediction ... it can't be proved right until it has actually happened...

4. ?

5. So it must be true that I'm much more cleverer than the cleverest of the clever people currently being the most cleverest of all the clever people currently claiming to be clever here in clever town...?

Laughing

I guess even the world's greatest genius can suck at sarcasm ... Twisted Evil
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down