NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life

3 posters

Go down

Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life Empty Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Stephen Hawking has held a news conference in London to announce his plans of investing $100 million into a project that aims to search for alien life.

The project, named Breakthrough Listen, will search for extraterrestrial life and will allow scientists to collect one year’s worth of data in just one day – in a move that Hawking hopes will speed up the search.

Washingtonpost.com reports:

“We believe that life arose spontaneously on Earth,” Hawking said at Monday’s news conference, “So in an infinite universe, there must be other occurrences of life.”

Geoffrey Marcy, a University of California, Berkeley, astronomer who found most of our first exoplanets, also spoke at the event as part of the group’s brain trust.

The universe is apparently bulging at the seams with the ingredients of biology,” Marcy explained. Indeed, Marcy and other scientists have found a surprising number of Earth-like exoplanets in recent years — rocky planets the right distance from their suns to support water — suggesting that life as we know it is at least possible, if not probable, all over the universe.

That being said, the group of esteemed scientists gathered on Monday didn’t make any bold claims about immediately hunting down intelligent life-forms — or ever finding them at all, for that matter. But the likelihood of success is about to shoot up exponentially, because right now we’re barely trying.

Read more:
http://yournewswire.com/stephen-hawking-announces-plan-to-hunt-for-alien-life/

alien interesting! I hope I hear news of something in my lifetime....
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life Empty Re: Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Seems to be a lot of uproar over the fact that Hawking also thinks advanced alien life could wipe us out pretty easily and would likely have incentive to do so. However, this project isn't sending anything out from Earth that would help an alien species find us -- and we already beam electromagnetic waves constantly into outer space.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life Empty Re: Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:12 pm

How do you know all this.....? Are you a secret...............ALIEN?!! Suspect
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:27 pm

eddie wrote:How do you know all this.....? Are you a secret...............ALIEN?!! Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I just think it's funny, people criticising Hawking for looking for intelligent aliens -- "Don't let them find us!" -- when we constantly send radio signals into space, creating a 200-light-year-wide "bubble" of radio frequencies all around Earth.

However, that's not really very big compared to just our galaxy:

Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life 20130115_radio_broadcasts_f840

So just a tiny spot, but at the same time, we have never tried to hide from alien species alien alien alien
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:30 pm

I hide all the time. Behind tin foil and egg boxes.
They haven't found me yet and don't you tell them!

I would love to se the day we actually can see other life somewhere. I bet they're all just human-looking and we will all go "Pffffff! Seen it all before mate!"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:38 pm

eddie wrote:I hide all the time. Behind tin foil and egg boxes.
They haven't found me yet and don't you tell them!

I would love to se the day we actually can see other life somewhere. I bet they're all just human-looking and we will all go "Pffffff! Seen it all before mate!"

I'm telling everyone back on Omicron Persei 8 as soon as I get this thing working:

Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life Tumblr_inline_my4o1kA9g51s9x8us

Razz Razz Razz
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:43 pm

That is.....awesome. Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Seems to be a lot of uproar over the fact that Hawking also thinks advanced alien life could wipe us out pretty easily and would likely have incentive to do so. However, this project isn't sending anything out from Earth that would help an alien species find us -- and we already beam electromagnetic waves constantly into outer space.
there is actually earth related examples of just this happening

war of the worlds is also a good analogy

however i suspect any advanced alien life would not use radio wave for long distance communication (to slow)more likely something like a antitelephone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyonic_antitelephone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:06 pm

there is a school of thought that any advanced aliens would communicate using THOUGHT.

there are two possibilities which come to a similar conclusion

firstly that thought is a 4th order effect, existing outside of our 3 dimensional universe and not subject therfore to the effects of time

secondly that tought is a "zeroth" order effect which therfore exists in all times at all places (its everywhere and nowhere baby)

in either case since thought is by its nature immaterial and massless it can have the ridiculous property of infinite speed and at the same time NOT be subject to the distance squared "power loss associated with radio and other physical means of communication.

just a thought from the "hairy fringes of physics"

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Hmmm. I reckon they all look like us and we will be well disappointed when they come over for a cup of tea and a few hob nobs.

"So...erm, John? What's it like on Planet Frogturd then?"

"It's erm...well my front room is slightly larger than yours mate, but it's pretty much the same"

"Oh. Right."

"Pass me a hob nob....please Dave"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:20 pm

eddie wrote:Hmmm. I reckon they all look like us and we will be well disappointed when they come over for a cup of tea and a few hob nobs.

"It's erm...well my front room is slightly larger than yours mate, but it's pretty much the same"

"Oh. Right."

"f**k off you green b'stard"

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 pm

I am not green I'm a shade of lime!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Rolling Eyes

Its ALWAYS about YOU innit Rolling Eyes Razz Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life 3489511464

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:40 pm

victorismyhero wrote: Rolling Eyes

Its ALWAYS about YOU innit  Rolling Eyes  Razz  Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life 3489511464

Pas me a hobnob Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:41 pm

eddie wrote:Hmmm. I reckon they all look like us and we will be well disappointed when they come over for a cup of tea and a few hob nobs.

"Oh. Right."

only if there looking for a new engine Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:06 pm

korban dallas wrote:

"Oh. Right."

only if there looking for a new engine Smile

lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Seems to be a lot of uproar over the fact that Hawking also thinks advanced alien life could wipe us out pretty easily and would likely have incentive to do so. However, this project isn't sending anything out from Earth that would help an alien species find us -- and we already beam electromagnetic waves constantly into outer space.

I don't know why confused
it's the most obvious thing ever
Life consumes life
literally this is what has happened every time any new species has arrived on a new Continent on earth Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 pm

@ben

have you heard Ziltoid (deven townsend)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:28 am

veya_victaous wrote:

Life consumes life
literally this is what has happened every time any new species has arrived on a new Continent on earth Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
That was exactly my point VV although as my war of the worlds analogy shows ....it can work Both ways Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life 4183205388

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:34 am

veya_victaous wrote:@ben

have you heard Ziltoid (deven townsend)

A little theatrical, but I like how he makes the guitars sound like engines Smile

Reminds me a little of this track, which incorporates music from the Total Recall remake -- I always thought it sounded like machinery:

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:36 am

veya_victaous wrote:

Life consumes life

I don't think his view on that is controversial, just that people know he thinks that and yet he's funding this search for ET life -- they think somehow he's inviting them by looking for them, I guess.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:08 am

Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life 59501791
Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life Ted-rall-steven-hawking-bmod-cartoon

Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life Let%27s%2BMech%2BA%2BDeal
Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life NeildeGrasseTysonquote2
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:15 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

Life consumes life

I don't think his view on that is controversial, just that people know he thinks that and yet he's funding this search for ET life -- they think somehow he's inviting them by looking for them, I guess.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes (not at you at people)
we are very noisy in our little corner of the galaxy.
Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life F06516a8fdf274089472243ced1df3ba

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:19 pm

eddie wrote:
victorismyhero wrote: Rolling Eyes

Its ALWAYS about YOU innit  Rolling Eyes  Razz  Stephen Hawking Announces Plan To Hunt For Alien Life 3489511464

Pas me a hobnob Rolling Eyes

You know, it just occurred to me that any alien who came to Earth would be a ... foreigner.

So I urgently urge you to pull up the song "Urgent" by Foreigner. I love this part:

"It gets so urgent
So urgent
You know it's urgent
I wanna tell you it's the same for me
So oh oh urgent
Just you wait and see
How urgent our love can be
It's urgent"

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh????
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 pm

I find that overtly sexual and very forward of you.

Stalker.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down