NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America

+4
nicko
'Wolfie
Major
Ben Reilly
8 posters

Go down

The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America Empty The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:26 pm

(CNN)With Adele's song "All I Ask" playing in the background, a Maryland teenager opened her computer and wrote an emotional letter to President Barack Obama.

"I am an American, I grew up here. I say the Pledge of Allegiance every day," Aleena Khan told the President. "And yet, I am a Muslim."
Which one, she asked, is she allowed to be?

Aleena is 17, with a bright smile and dark hair that sweeps across her shoulders. Her mother is Indian-American, her father emigrated from Pakistan. Aleena and her two sisters have lived in Maryland their whole lives.

Last year, as part of an honors research project on identity crises among Muslim-American teenagers, Aleena spent hours online combing through public comments on news articles about Muslims. What she read shocked her.

"Kick them all out and put the rest in detainment camps. Enough with the PC feces," said one commenter.

"The only peaceful and moderate Muslims are the dead ones," said another.

The tweet from the man wearing military camouflage was the worst, Aleena said. "Hard to tell what we should build first. A border wall or a gas chamber for Muslims."

Aleena sat on the floor of her room, stunned. These people were talking about her mother, her father, her sisters, her cousins, her friends. They were talking about her. If it were just one comment, she could ignore it. But there were so many.

"This is what people think about me?" she wondered. "If I go out and say I'm Muslim will my friends still be my friends? Will people like me anymore?"

She texted her best friend, Haley, telling her what people were saying about Muslims. People are ignorant, Haley answered.

It's difficult to measure a sentiment such as Islamophobia, the word for hatred and fear of Muslims. But it's also hard to escape the idea that being Muslim in America today is like watching comment sections spring to lurid life. The anti-Muslim rallies, the vicious hate crimes, the racial profiling, the threats and taunts and questions about divided loyalties.

Scholars say Islamophobia seems to surge after attacks by Muslim extremists and during presidential campaigns, when candidates pledge to get tough on terrorists, often by singling out Muslims. Just this week, after a Muslim man was charged with detonating bombs in New York and New Jersey and another was accused of stabbing 10 people in Minnesota, GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump urged local police officers to profile "suspicious" people, "like they do in Israel."

"Do we really have a choice?" Trump said. "We're trying to be so politically correct in our country, and this is only going to get worse."

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/islamerica-secret-costs-islamophobia/index.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America Empty Re: The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:05 pm

Major wrote:Propaganda.

It's actually a detailed exploration of a significant issue.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America Empty Re: The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:41 am

Razz

WITH Major/Stormee being one of the leading propagandists on this forum, it is always amusing and quite ironic to see any of them using the term "propaganda" in relation to any other posts...

Then again, I seriously doubt that the likes of Stormee, Tommy, Dean, Horatio, nor their supporters like Raggamuffin and nicko, even understand the concept of irony..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:29 pm

IL'L have you know I iron my own shirts!!

nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Laughing
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:08 pm

Aleena is 17, with a bright smile and dark hair that sweeps across her shoulders. Her mother is Indian-American, her father emigrated from Pakistan. Aleena and her two sisters have lived in Maryland their whole lives.

Last year, as part of an honors research project on identity crises among Muslim-American teenagers, Aleena spent hours online combing through public comments on news articles about Muslims. What she read shocked her.

"Kick them all out and put the rest in detainment camps. Enough with the PC feces," said one commenter.

The tweet from the man wearing military camouflage was the worst, Aleena said. "Hard to tell what we should build first. A border wall or a gas chamber for Muslims."

Aleena sat on the floor of her room, stunned. These people were talking about her mother, her father, her sisters, her cousins, her friends. They were talking about her. If it were just one comment, she could ignore it. But there were so many.

"This is what people think about me?" she wondered.

I wonder if some of those comments that stunned her so badly were gathered from some of our own members?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

"This is what people think about me?" she wondered.

I wonder if some of those comments that stunned her so badly were gathered from some of our own members?

I bet you don't really wonder that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

I'll bet I do. Because any fundamentalist belief is hard to defend, that is the reason why fundamentalists are reluctant to discuss their religion. Frankly, any theory of metaphysics is difficult to talk about...but so is refutation.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I'll bet I do.  Because any fundamentalist belief is hard to defend, that is the reason why fundamentalists are reluctant to discuss their religion.  Frankly, any theory of metaphysics is difficult to talk about...but so is refutation.  

I bet you don't ...
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I'll bet I do.  Because any fundamentalist belief is hard to defend, that is the reason why fundamentalists are reluctant to discuss their religion.  Frankly, any theory of metaphysics is difficult to talk about...but so is refutation.  

I bet you don't ...

Do too...

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:25 pm

"he's behind you"
"oh no he's not"

"OH YES HE IS"

etc etc etc ..........
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down