NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Trump hides his tax returns

5 posters

Go down

Why Trump hides his tax returns Empty Why Trump hides his tax returns

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:18 am

The Washington Post wrote:Trump used $258,000 from his charity to settle legal problems

Donald Trump spent more than a quarter-million dollars from his charitable foundation to settle lawsuits that involved the billionaire’s for-profit businesses, according to interviews and a review of legal documents.

Those cases, which together used $258,000 from Trump’s charity, were among four newly documented expenditures in which Trump may have violated laws against “self-dealing” — which prohibit nonprofit leaders from using charity money to benefit themselves or their businesses.

In one case, from 2007, Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club faced $120,000 in unpaid fines from the town of Palm Beach, Fla., resulting from a dispute over the height of a flagpole.

In a settlement, Palm Beach agreed to waive those fines — if Trump’s club made a $100,000 donation to a specific charity for veterans. Instead, Trump sent a check from the Donald J. Trump Foundation, a charity funded almost entirely by other people’s money, according to tax records.

In another case, court papers say one of Trump’s golf courses in New York agreed to settle a lawsuit by making a donation to the plaintiff’s chosen charity. A $158,000 donation was made by the Trump Foundation, according to tax records.

The other expenditures involved smaller amounts. In 2013, Trump used $5,000 from the foundation to buy advertisements touting his chain of hotels in programs for three events organized by a D.C. preservation group. And in 2014, Trump spent $10,000 of the foundation’s money on a portrait of himself bought at a charity fundraiser.

Or, rather, another portrait of himself.

Several years earlier, Trump used $20,000 from the Trump Foundation to buy a different, six-foot-tall portrait.

If the Internal Revenue Service were to find that Trump violated self-dealing rules, the agency could require him to pay penalty taxes or to reimburse the foundation for all the money it spent on his behalf. Trump is also facing scrutiny from the New York attorney general’s office, which is examining whether the foundation broke state charity laws.

More broadly, these cases­ also provide new evidence that Trump ran his charity in a way that may have violated U.S. tax law and gone against the moral conventions of philanthropy.

“I represent 700 nonprofits a year, and I’ve never encountered anything so brazen,” said Jeffrey Tenenbaum, who advises charities at the Venable law firm in Washington. After The Washington Post described the details of these Trump Foundation gifts, Tenenbaum described them as “really shocking.”

“If he’s using other people’s money — run through his foundation — to satisfy his personal obligations, then that’s about as blatant an example of self-dealing [as] I’ve seen in awhile,” Tenenbaum said.

The Post sent the Trump campaign a detailed list of questions about the four cases but received no response.

The New York attorney general’s office declined to comment when asked whether its inquiry would cover these new cases­ of possible self-dealing.

Trump founded his charity in 1987 and for years was its only donor. But in 2006, Trump gave away almost all the money he had donated to the foundation, leaving it with just $4,238 at year’s end, according to tax records.

Then, he transformed the Trump Foundation into something rarely seen in the world of philanthropy: a name-branded foundation whose namesake provides none of its money. Trump gave relatively small donations in 2007 and 2008, and afterward, nothing. The foundation’s tax records show no donations from Trump since 2009.

[In 2007, Trump had to face his own falsehoods. And he did, 30 times.]

Its money has come from other donors, most notably pro-wrestling executives Vince and Linda McMahon, who gave a total of $5 million from 2007 to 2009, tax records show. Trump remains the foundation’s president, and he told the IRS in his latest public filings that he works half an hour per week on the charity.

The Post has previously detailed other cases in which Trump used the charity’s money in a way that appeared to violate the law.

In 2013, for instance, the foundation gave $25,000 to a political group supporting Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi (R). That gift was made about the same time that Bondi’s office was considering whether to investigate fraud allegations against Trump University. It didn’t.

Tax laws say nonprofit groups such as the Trump Foundation may not make political gifts. Trump staffers blamed the gift on a clerical error. After The Post reported on the gift to Bondi’s group this spring, Trump paid a $2,500 penalty tax and reimbursed the Trump Foundation for the $25,000 donation.

In other instances, it appeared that Trump may have violated rules against self-dealing.

In 2012, for instance, Trump spent $12,000 of the foundation’s money to buy a football helmet signed by then-NFL quarterback Tim Tebow.

And in 2007, Trump’s wife, Melania, bid $20,000 for the six-foot-tall portrait of Trump, done by a “speed painter” during a charity gala at Mar-a-Lago. Later, Trump paid for the painting with $20,000 from the foundation.

In those cases, tax experts said, Trump was not allowed to simply keep these items and display them in a home or business. They had to be put to a charitable use.

Trump’s campaign has not responded to questions about what became of the helmet or the portrait.

After the settlement, Trump put a slightly smaller flag farther from the road and mounted it on a 70-foot pole as seen in this Nov. 1, 2015, photo. (Rosalind Helderman/The Washington Post)
The four new cases of possible self-dealing were discovered in the Trump Foundation’s tax filings. While Trump has refused to release his personal tax returns, the foundation’s filings are required to be public.

The case involving the flagpole at Trump’s oceanfront Mar-a-Lago Club began in 2006, when the club put up a giant American flag on the 80-foot pole. Town rules said flagpoles should be 42 feet high at most. Trump’s contention, according to news reports, was: “You don’t need a permit to put up the American flag.”

The town began to fine Trump, $1,250 a day.

Trump’s club sued in federal court, saying that a smaller flag “would fail to appropriately express the magnitude of Donald J. Trump’s . . . patriotism.”

They settled.

The town waived the $120,000 in fines. In September 2007, Trump wrote the town a letter, saying he had done his part as well.

“I have sent a check for $100,000 to Fisher House,” he wrote. The town had chosen Fisher House, which runs a network of comfort homes for the families of veterans and military personnel receiving medical treatment, as the recipient of the money. Trump added that, for good measure, “I have sent a check for $25,000” to another charity, the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial.

Trump provided the town with copies of the checks, which show that they came from the Trump Foundation.

In Palm Beach, nobody seems to have objected to the fines assessed on Trump’s business being erased by a donation from a charity.

“I don’t know that there was any attention paid to that at the time. We just saw two checks signed by Donald J. Trump,” said John Randolph, the Palm Beach town attorney. “I’m sure we were satisfied with it.”

Excerpt from a settlement filed in federal court in 2007.
In the other case in which a Trump Foundation payment seemed to help settle a legal dispute, the trouble began with a hole-in-one.

In 2010, a man named Martin Greenberg hit a hole-in-one on the 13th hole while playing in a charity golf tournament at Trump’s course in Westchester County, N.Y.

Greenberg won a $1 million prize. Briefly.

Later, Greenberg was told that he had won nothing. The prize’s rules required that the shot had to go 150 yards. But Trump’s course had allegedly made the hole too short.

Greenberg sued.

Eventually, court papers show, Trump’s golf course signed off on a settlement that required it to make a donation to a group of Greenberg’s choosing. Then, on the day that the parties informed the court they had settled their case, a $158,000 donation was sent to the Martin Greenberg Foundation.

That money came from the Trump Foundation, according to the tax filings of both Trump’s and Greenberg’s foundations.

Greenberg’s foundation reported getting nothing that year from Trump personally or from his golf club.

Both Greenberg and Trump have declined to comment.

Several tax experts said that the two cases­ appeared to be clear examples of self-dealing, as defined by the tax code.

The Trump Foundation had made a donation, it seemed, so that a Trump business did not have to.

Rosemary E. Fei, a lawyer in San Francisco who advises nonprofit groups, said both cases­ clearly fit the definition of self-dealing.

“Yes, Trump pledged as part of the settlement to make a payment to a charity, and yes, the foundation is writing a check to a charity,” Fei said. “But the obligation was Trump’s. And you can’t have a charitable foundation paying off Trump’s personal obligations. That would be classic self-dealing.”

The Trump International Hotel in Washington, a renovation of the historic Old Post Office Pavilion, opened Sept. 12. (Marvin Joseph/The Washington Post)
In another instance, from 2013, the Trump Foundation made a $5,000 donation to the D.C. Preservation League, according to the group and tax filings. That nonprofit group’s support has been helpful for Trump as he has turned the historic Old Post Office Pavilion on Pennsylvania Avenue NW into a luxury hotel.

The Trump Foundation’s donation to that group bought a “sponsorship,” which included advertising space in the programs for three big events that drew Washington’s real estate elite. The ads did not mention the foundation or anything related to charity. Instead, they promoted Trump’s hotels, with glamorous photos and a phone number to call to make a reservation.

“The foundation wrote a check that essentially bought advertising for Trump hotels?” asked John Edie, the longtime general counsel for the Council on Foundations, when a Post reporter described this arrangement. “That’s not charity.”

The last of the four newly documented expenditures involves the second painting of Trump, which he bought with charity money.

It happened in 2014, during a gala at Mar-a-Lago that raised money for Unicorn Children’s Foundation — a Florida charity that helps children with developmental and learning disorders.

The gala’s main event was a concert by Jon Secada. But there was also an auction of paintings by Havi Schanz, a Miami Beach-based artist.

Trump with the painting that he bought. (Photo provided by Havi Schanz)
One was of Marilyn Monroe. The other was a four-foot-tall portrait of Trump: a younger-looking, mid-’90s Trump, painted in acrylic on top of an old architectural drawing.

Trump bought it for $10,000.

Afterward, Schanz recalled in an email, “he asked me about the painting. I said, ‘I paint souls, and when I had to paint you, I asked your soul to allow me.’ He was touched and smiled.”

We now see why Trump decided to run for President. His ass is one step in front of the hot coals. He's about to be indicted for tax fraud. He's growing himself to become too large to touch, like the Wall Street Banks did back in 2008.

So much for Trump calling Hillary a criminal.  If Hillary treated her Charitable Foundation in the way Trump treats his, she would be in jail.

What are they waiting for?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Why Trump hides his tax returns Empty Re: Why Trump hides his tax returns

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:46 am

Suspect

Teflon Trump...

Nothing sticks to him..

Yet  !
Why Trump hides his tax returns 1284863816
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:08 am

I have to confess that I know very little about US politics. It is not that I don't have the mental capacity to understand it, it's just that I can't drum up sufficient interest or enthusiasm in the subject to learn.

Frankly I have many other things to occupy my attention at this stage in my life...waking up in the morning and realising that I haven't snuffed it overnight or suddenly sitting down cross-legged in the checkout aisle at Tesco and singing a song about goblins being two of 'em!

However, having said that and based on the little that I do know, the thought of either Clinton or Trump being handed the nuclear codes does not leave me with any feelings of confidence.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:17 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Suspect

Teflon Trump...

Nothing sticks to him..

Yet  !
Hopefully a snipers bullet will.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Handy Andy wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Suspect

Teflon Trump...

Nothing sticks to him..

Yet  !
Hopefully  a snipers bullet will.

Meh, HA...I'm never going to go there. I'm an officer of the court myself.

But I am fascinated watching not only what is happening, but what will happen. This is a heavy charge. The Bank and Investment house CEO's never went this far. As this story broke yesterday I was stunned at the magnitude of this.

It became clear, on the political level, that he began running for President to gain popularity, and then use that popularity to fend off legal authorities. The best defense is a good offense.

It goes like this: first, gain a base; second, seed out the story of others doing the same as you will eventually be caught doing; third, then cast your own plight as retribution, arguing see, they blame me for doing precisely what I'm saying they are doing. It detracts, and minimizes the damage. Who will ever send a politician to jail; was VP Richard Cheney ever prosecuted?

A proscenium arch is a frame around a stage in which a play--a work of fiction--is played out. Hence, this is called the Proscenium Defense. You don't needle and pick at the evidence, but you build a whole story around your crime, that gives it a whole other perspective and a new standard...one that diverts and minimizes. It's expensive, noisy and works.

Trump is building his proscenium defense by fabricating the whole story about Hillary--have you ever wondered why they can find no actual wrongdoing on Hillary's part?--and when he is finally caught for his double-dealing fraud, his response is to shrug Why Trump hides his tax returns 2190311264 and say What's so bad about that? The proscenium defense...clever eh?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:08 pm

If this had been a story about Clinton that someone had put up, I'd bet my arse that you'd say "Nothing to see here! RW propaganda!"

You know it's true Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:26 pm

eddie wrote:If this had been a story about Clinton that someone had put up, I'd bet my arse that you'd say "Nothing to see here! RW propaganda!"

You know it's true Razz

Eds, I have no question it is absolutely false.  The ploy is in my book, Why Elephants Lie.

One of the primary political argument forms of the RW is the mirror-image, or reciprocal argument.  It's based upon the forma of they all do it.  What you do is extrapolate the mechanical features of an argument, and impose it upon a fact scenario appertaining to the other side.  Hence the mirror-image.

The allegation of criminal wrongdoing originally started with the administration of Richard Nixon.  You may recall that Spiro Agnew, Nixon's VP, was pulled from office for his graft as governor of Maryland.  Then of course Watergate got Nixon to resign.  So the sting of criminal wrongdoing has bitten Republicans many, many times...and twice at the highest levels.

So it's natural for the party that lies to formulate a general lie, used over and over, to do a mirror-image to the other side.  A man like Trump, knowing he is about to be indicted, has the resources and familiarity to get something like this started.  Since Nixon, I don't think we've seen this at such a great magnitude at the presidential level.  But it's happening.

Given the predictions in my book, you can understand my interest.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:33 pm

Quill I entirely believe you. I'm sure there's not a politician, alive or dead, that hasn't lied.
Including Hilary.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:49 pm

eddie wrote:Quill I entirely believe you. I'm sure there's not a politician, alive or dead, that hasn't lied.
Including Hilary.

I'll go you one better: there's not a person on earth who has not lied!  White lies.  Black lies.  Little lies.  Big lies.  Momma lies.  Daddy lies.  Little kids lie all the time.  It does no good to repeat what we all know.  The real question is, why is this person lying?

By now you know my general theory of conservative politics: RW represents special interests; LW represents the general interest.  Only the party that is working for some, and against others, has an incentive to lie.  That would be conservatives.  The LW is already representing the general interest.

But the unique problem in politics is that the currency of special interests doesn't work.  The currency in politics is votes, not money.  The question becomes: How do you get votes from people against whose interests you are working?

The answer of course is, you lie.  Hence my book's title, Why Elephants Lie.  So, LW'rs have only small reasons to lie (...go to bed sweetie, or the boogie man will get you), while RW'rs have big reasons to lie (...I was paying personal debts with Foundation money)...or in this case, ...if I can get you to believe that Hillary is criminal, then my criminality doesn't look so bad.  There are many permutations, but self-interest is the aim, and deception is the means.

Last edited by Original Quill on Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:52 pm

I agree that people lie all the time, sometimes it's to protect themselves and it isn't always a malicious intent.

I don't know whether I can agree with you that RW's lie for the bad and LW's lie for the good.
That's a bit of a generalisation - though your reasoning makes sense.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:04 pm

eddie wrote:I agree that people lie all the time, sometimes it's to protect themselves and it isn't always a malicious intent.

I don't know whether I can agree with you that RW's lie for the bad and LW's lie for the good.
That's a bit of a generalisation - though your reasoning makes sense.

Generalizations are the nature of understanding.  I'm just sorting out politics, as it really is.  

Why are RW'rs against people--opposed to healthcare, wanting wars, cheating and scamming on money matters, etc., etc.--and always giving themselves tax breaks and rescinding regulations that constrain them?  That's called representing special interests.

Why are LW always on the opposite side of the same issues?  Because those same issues favor the general interest.  

Forget the flim-flam and all the noise that RW'rs put out...just look around and see what is going on.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down