NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay

+2
David
Eilzel
6 posters

Go down

Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay Empty Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay Pavel-Lebedev1

A Russian gay protester was detained today for revealing a rainbow flag during the Olympic torch relay.
Pavel Lebedev, of Voronezh, which is 560 miles north of Sochi, unfurled the rainbow flag as the torch passed through his hometown.
The Sochi Winter Olympics will begin on 7 February and have already caused an international outcry as Russian President Vladimir Putin in June signed a bill into law banning the “promotion of non-traditional relationships” to minors.
Photos were uploaded by Lebedev’s friends of him unfurling the flag before being detained by security staff. He was wrestled to the snowy ground and held there until police arrived.

Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay Pavel-Lebedev2

Speaking to the AP, Lebedev said he was still in the police station being questioned.
He said: ”Hosting the games here contradicts the basic principles of the Olympics, which is to cultivate tolerance.”
Limits have been set by Russian authorities on protests allowed to take place during the Sochi games.
Putin originally signed a decree banning all demonstrations, but later said protests would be allowed in authorised protest zones

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/18/russia-gay-protester-detained-for-unfurling-rainbow-flag-during-olympic-torch-relay/

cheers cheers cheers  What a very brave man!

It's 'militants' like that who continue to bring the equality movement forward in Russia, you never got anywhere, in any kind of struggle, by appeasing the bigots. You have to stand up and fight and be proactive, else you wouldn't be getting anywhere.

Back to top Go down

Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay Empty Re: Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm

Saw the hostility and violence towards gays in Russia a few weeks back Phil and this guy is brave as you say, what the fucking hell is wrong with those people?, heterosexual people there are not being asked to become gay ffs, I just can't see what the problem is?

It's similar to bullying and silencing disabled people, would they do that?, would they hell.

These Russians really need to stop going back in time.

Back to top Go down

Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay Empty Re: Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Joy Division wrote:Saw the hostility and violence towards gays in Russia a few weeks back Phil and this guy is brave as you say, what the fucking hell is wrong with those people?, heterosexual people there are not being asked to become gay ffs, I just can't see what the problem is?

It's similar to bullying and silencing disabled people, would they do that?, would they hell.

They are a bit behind the times there JD, it's like looking back in time, from a Western point of view.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Catman wrote:
Joy Division wrote:Saw the hostility and violence towards gays in Russia a few weeks back Phil and this guy is brave as you say, what the fucking hell is wrong with those people?, heterosexual people there are not being asked to become gay ffs, I just can't see what the problem is?

They are a bit behind the times there JD, it's like looking back in time, from a Western point of view.

Yeah Phil, behind the times regards to gay folk , but they have built space shuttles and sent men to the moon ffs!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Joy Division wrote:
Catman wrote:

Yeah Phil, behind the times regards to gay folk , but they have built space shuttles and sent men to the moon ffs!!

I would agree with that, they have plenty of money to spend on space adventures, whilst ignoring the extreme poverty that exists in that country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:00 am

Catman wrote:Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay Pavel-Lebedev1

A Russian gay protester was detained today for revealing a rainbow flag during the Olympic torch relay.
Pavel Lebedev, of Voronezh, which is 560 miles north of Sochi, unfurled the rainbow flag as the torch passed through his hometown.
The Sochi Winter Olympics will begin on 7 February and have already caused an international outcry as Russian President Vladimir Putin in June signed a bill into law banning the “promotion of non-traditional relationships” to minors.
Photos were uploaded by Lebedev’s friends of him unfurling the flag before being detained by security staff. He was wrestled to the snowy ground and held there until police arrived.

Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay Pavel-Lebedev2

Speaking to the AP, Lebedev said he was still in the police station being questioned.
He said: ”Hosting the games here contradicts the basic principles of the Olympics, which is to cultivate tolerance.”
Limits have been set by Russian authorities on protests allowed to take place during the Sochi games.
Putin originally signed a decree banning all demonstrations, but later said protests would be allowed in authorised protest zones

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/18/russia-gay-protester-detained-for-unfurling-rainbow-flag-during-olympic-torch-relay/

It's 'militants' like that who continue to bring the equality movement forward in Russia, you never got anywhere, in any kind of struggle, by appeasing the bigots. You have to stand up and fight and be proactive, else you wouldn't be getting anywhere.

People like him are to be applauded. Brave men taking a stance against a institution which is prejudiced against gay people. Sadly some in his country will throw the law in his face as though that is the be all and end all  Neutral 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:58 am

Yes he is a very brave man! I wish there were more like him
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Catman wrote:Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay Pavel-Lebedev1

People like him are to be applauded. Brave men taking a stance against a institution which is prejudiced against gay people. Sadly some in his country will throw the law in his face as though that is the be all and end all  Neutral 

Indeed Les

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:23 pm

"He was wrestled to the snowy ground and held there until police arrived." Russia: Gay protester detained for unfurling rainbow flag during Olympic torch relay Wtf_211 Pathetic, what century are we living in?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:06 am

I wouldn't attend the Olympics this time for anything.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Good morning Folks.

Talk about overkill on your part.

The Russians stance regarding homosexuals has been very low key but it is being exploded by the media & gay rights groups.

Why don't you get over yourselves & stop trying to convince the world that gay matters are the only important things in the world?

You're gay.That's fine.I respect your sexuality.But I don't particularly want to hear about it everyday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Shady wrote:Good morning Folks.

The Russians stance regarding homosexuals has been very low key but it is being exploded by the media & gay rights groups.

Why don't you get over yourselves & stop trying to convince the world that gay matters are the only important things in the world?

You're gay.That's fine.I respect your sexuality.But I don't particularly want to hear about it everyday.

I don't think they're trying to act like it's the most important thing. What is important is discrimination and oppression, and if we work to eliminate that it's better for everyone. Since everyone belongs to a group that could be oppressed at some point.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Shady wrote:Good morning Folks.

I don't think they're trying to act like it's the most important thing. What is important is discrimination and oppression, and if we work to eliminate that it's better for everyone. Since everyone belongs to a group that could be oppressed at some point.

I agree with you to some extent Ben but in my opinion the gay brigade have simply hijacked the winter games to make themselves look hard done by.When in fact,so many people accept gays as normal members of society.However,not everybody in the world thinks like we do & they are entitled to their views regarding homosexuality the same as we are.

Not everything that we do in the west is right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Shady wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I agree with you to some extent Ben but in my opinion the gay brigade have simply hijacked the winter games to make themselves look hard done by.When in fact,so many people accept gays as normal members of society.However,not everybody in the world thinks like we do & they are entitled to their views regarding homosexuality the same as we are.

Yes they are entitled to them just as we are also entitled to challenge their discriminating views, especially when the Russians themselves have been vocal about what would happen to sports personalities who are gay.
Does this mean we should say nothing or challenge this being as many nations will be attending?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:06 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Shady wrote:

Yes they are entitled to them just as we are also entitled to challenge their discriminating views, especially when the Russians themselves have been vocal about what would happen to sports personalities who are gay.
Does this mean we should say nothing or challenge this being as many nations will be attending?

Who is feeling so strongly about this that they are going to boycott the games? ANy countries?
The Russians wont give a stuff, homosexuals are treated appallingly in Russia. If people attend then they are condoning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Shady wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I couldn't care less what some Russians think of gay people; however; when ACTUAL gay people in Russia are ACTUALLY being attacked, even murdered, in Russia as a result of the governments homophobic stance then I have a problem, as so should all decent, civilized people in this world. I'd also like to see the same anger leveled at Qatar as they will be hosting the World Cup in a few years, and their rules regarding homosexuality make Russia look liberal...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Shady wrote:

I couldn't care less what some Russians think of gay people; however; when ACTUAL gay people in Russia are ACTUALLY being attacked, even murdered, in Russia as a result of the governments homophobic stance then I have a problem, as so should all decent, civilized people in this world. I'd also like to see the same anger leveled at Qatar as they will be hosting the World Cup in a few years, and their rules regarding homosexuality make Russia look liberal...

Agreed, its a disgrace that these countries are allowed to host these tournaments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Who is feeling so strongly about this that they are going to boycott the games? ANy countries?
The Russians wont give a stuff, homosexuals are treated appallingly in Russia. If  people attend then they are condoning.

WTF, so people who have been training for four years now have to miss out because it is not their fault Russian Government is so homophobic?
You can still attend and even better make a vocal point about the nation being wrong in how it treats Homosexuals.
The Russians will give a stuff as they will be in the world spot light at this point

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:13 pm

I think the athletes should go and try and smuggle a gay person out of Russia.

I think they should be granted Asylum to escape such a unethical backwater.

I think that would make the Stance of our Nations more clear to Russians then not playing in some games.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:56 am

What is a country incorporated the Gay Pride colours into their uniforms. Would that constitute a demonstration?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:22 am

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

The Russians wont give a stuff, homosexuals are treated appallingly in Russia. If  people attend then they are condoning.

WTF, so people who have been training for four years now have to miss out because it is not their fault Russian Government is so homophobic?
You can still attend and even better make a vocal point about the nation being wrong in how it treats Homosexuals.
The Russians will give a stuff as they will be in the world spot light at this point  

Ah right so being anti homophobic is ok as long as have to do anything to show one's disgust?
Do you honestly think anyone will be allowed to comment on the treatment of homosexuals?!

How many human rights protests did you see at the Chinese Olympics.?
Its Hypocrisy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:16 am

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Ah right so being anti homophobic is ok as long as  have to do anything to show one's disgust?
Do you honestly  think anyone will be allowed to comment on the treatment of homosexuals?!

Its Hypocrisy.

What garbage, sorry but people train as competitors are then dragged into political debates, is not only unfair to those competing but daft. Jesus wept you can still protest something as already seen by actually attending. Fuck me where are you going to draw the line on human rights Nems, stop every country we trade with that violates them? In the make believe world you live in maybe so but it is not as simple as that and I stand daily against people who discriminate against Homosexuals, I don;t though expect everyone else to join my cause or to deny them the chance to compete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:42 am

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Ah right so being anti homophobic is ok as long as  have to do anything to show one's disgust?
Do you honestly  think anyone will be allowed to comment on the treatment of homosexuals?!

Its Hypocrisy.

What garbage, sorry but people train as competitors are then dragged into political debates, is not only unfair to those competing but daft. Jesus wept you can still protest something as already seen by actually attending. Fuck me where are you going to draw the line on human rights Nems, stop every country we trade with that violates them? In the make believe world you live in maybe so but it is not as simple as that and I stand daily against people who discriminate against Homosexuals, I don;t though expect everyone else to join my cause or to deny them the chance to compete

As it goes I agree with you that its unfair on the athletes, it is. Those countries should never be allowed to host these things but money talks.

What exactly do you do daily to stand against people who discriminate?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

As it goes I agree with you that its unfair on the athletes, it is. Those countries should never be allowed to host these things but money talks.

So why are you saying they should boycott?

Everyday I challenge those who seek to discriminate have you lost the ability to read of late., as well as giving funding to organisations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:53 am

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Everyday I challenge those who seek to discriminate have you lost the ability to read of late., as well as giving funding to organisations.

Dont be rude Didge not needed.
Making blanket statements that you stand up to those who discriminate is meaningless.
I thought it was an opportunity for discussion, you know like do you go to the Prides? What organisations do you support what made you choose them? Thats what people do- discuss.

In an ideal world of course they should boycott but in reality not so easy. If a protestor is detained for holding a rainbow flag I dread to think what would happen to more vocal protestors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:02 am

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Making blanket statements that you stand up to those who discriminate is meaningless.
I thought it was an opportunity for discussion, you know like do you go to the Prides? What organisations do you support what made you choose them? Thats what people do- discuss.

In an ideal world of course they should boycott but in reality not so easy. If a protestor is detained for holding a rainbow flag I dread to think what would happen to more vocal protestors.

Really I can say the same about your replies.

Well sorry but what a silly question when as seen I challenge such perceptions daily and get hounded by it on another forum for doing so. AS to organisations that is my business after your rude replies I have no want or need of telling you.
Statements do make a difference showing many poor perceptions wrong would you even debate if you did not think they did? Which clearly defeats your object of boycott as what difference does it make by such a illogical view point?
In an ideal world people would not discriminate full stop

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:44 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Well sorry but what a silly question when as seen I challenge such perceptions daily and get hounded by it on another forum for doing so. AS to organisations that is my business after your rude replies I have no want or need of telling you.
Statements do make a difference showing many poor perceptions wrong would you even debate if you did not think they did? Which clearly defeats your object of boycott as what difference does it make by such a illogical view point?

Fair enough I thought you just wouldn't answer because you are a keyboard warrior.

Poor perceptions is an odd phrase for bigotry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:50 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Fair enough I thought you just wouldn't answer because you are a keyboard warrior.

No I just get bored with some of your posts to be honest Nems, as if you are the champion to everything, most of my work is in regards to helping preventing racism and the NSPCC.

Again you seem to think people who challenge such views is worthless, well by that logic you allow such views to become acceptable

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:57 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

No I just get bored with some of your posts to be honest Nems, as if you are the champion to everything, most of my work is in regards to helping preventing racism and the NSPCC.

And I'm sure they get LOTS of help from someone who spends all their time on Discussion sites
Again you seem to think people who challenge such views is worthless, well by that logic you allow such views to become acceptable

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:58 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

And I'm sure they get LOTS of help from someone who spends all their time on Discussion sites

Yes I do get lots of help thanks!

I also contribute loads also

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:59 pm

Original Quill wrote:What is a country incorporated the Gay Pride colours into their uniforms.  Would that constitute a demonstration?

?

Doesn't make sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:01 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

So you are admitting that there are a few Didges and we now have 48 hour Days.

lol! lol! lol! 

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:04 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

So you are admitting that there are a few Didges and we now have 48 hour Days.

lol! lol! lol! 

All my family are nicknamed Didge.

Its a tradition

Of course I am not on here all the time though 3 short stints of half an hour each today proves you are talking once again Gobbledygook

:D

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:10 pm

I knew a didge once - Indian guy - what a racist git - only against what he called "pakis".

Funny as hell though - a right good laugh.

One of the first guys I met when I joined up - I thought "what the flip?" lol

Might have been spelt dij.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:45 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

I spend my working and a large part of my social life dealing with the consequences of such views.

I see everyday what real life racism and homophobia do. I dont mean insults slung on a discussion board.
I feel very strongly that countries that allow such bigotry to flourish should not be allowed to host such tournaments because it sends a message that it is still acceptable. If Russia was told they werent getting it and all the money they have spent is wasted and they wont get the tourist rouble, they may just may consider their position.
Well done with the NSPCC I have done some training with them, sadly they are having to withdraw some services due to funding restrictions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:56 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

I spend my working and a large part of my social life dealing with the consequences of such views.

I see everyday what real life racism and homophobia do. I dont mean insults slung on a discussion board.
I feel very strongly that countries that allow such bigotry to flourish should not be allowed to host such tournaments because it sends a message that it is still acceptable. If Russia was told they werent getting it and all the money they have spent is wasted and they wont get the tourist rouble, they may just may consider their position.
Well done with the NSPCC I have done some training with them, sadly they are having to withdraw some services due to funding restrictions.

Good afternoon Nemsagain.

Nems I appreciate your point of view however,should future Olympic games be stopped from being held at say the USA or the UK ever again because we started unnecessary wars in Iraq & Afghan & people object to those wars?

The point I'm making is that someone some where will always find something about a country that they don't like.But surely that shouldn't prevent such a massive event being held there.......should it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Oh for goodness sake, and you are the only one that has had to deal with it Nems, Jesus try as I did with growing up with your best mate being mixed race Irish?Jamaican , not being accepted by both sides growing up in the skinhead era in South London in the 1970's, believe me I saw all the racism I ever wanted to see and dealt with it daily not just from whites but blacks also with my mate being half Jamaican he was not accepted by either ethnic group. This is just one situation where even today one of my good mates is of Indian ethnicity and gets called a "fucking Paki" all the time, and has a better English accent than most Brits, yes so I deal with this reality all the time Nems.

I think the best place to make a show of solidarity against discrimination against Homosexuals is on the world stage at the actual event, I see it as an opportunity for many nations to unite together whilst there to show how wrong the Russian perception is

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Shady wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Good afternoon Nemsagain.

Nems I appreciate your point of view however,should future Olympic games be stopped from being held at say the USA or the UK ever again because we started unnecessary wars in Iraq & Afghan & people object to those wars?

The point I'm making is that someone some where will always find something about a country that they don't like.But surely that shouldn't prevent such a massive event being held there.......should it?

Thats a fair point Shady. Russia will have to moderniseits thinking though and I cant see that happening with Putin there

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:45 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:

Oh for goodness sake, and you are the only one that has had to deal with it Nems, Jesus try as I did with growing up with your best mate being mixed race Irish?Jamaican , not being accepted by both sides growing up in the skinhead era in South London in the 1970's, believe me I saw all the racism I ever wanted to see and dealt with it daily not just from whites but blacks also with my mate being half Jamaican he was not accepted by either ethnic group. This is just one situation where even today one of my good mates is of Indian ethnicity and gets called a "fucking Paki" all the time, and has a better English accent than most Brits, yes so I deal with this reality all the time Nems.

I think the best place to make a show of solidarity against discrimination against Homosexuals is on the world stage at the actual event, I see it as an opportunity for many nations to unite together whilst there to show how wrong the Russian perception is    

I think its the friend getting called Paki that has something to deal with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:51 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

I think its the friend getting called Paki that has something to deal with.

Really you think?

Yet with his friends he feels confident to till come out and feels not all people are like this because he has such support and people standing up to those who do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down