NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which one is wrong between these two so called absolutes?

+2
eddie
blackie333
6 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Which one is wrong between these two so called absolutes? Empty Re: Which one is wrong between these two so called absolutes?

Post by eddie Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:24 am

They're all shit
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Which one is wrong between these two so called absolutes? Empty Re: Which one is wrong between these two so called absolutes?

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 am

Cool

AUSTRALIA had TV licences when television first arrived here in 1956 (introduced to pay for the ABC television services --  same as you Brit's pay for your BBC..).

Didn't last too long though, as those fees were abolished here in the 1960s or early 70s..

"FREE to air", however, simply refers to the fact that you don't pay to subscribe to those commercial stations --  that's what all that pesky advertising is  for.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:15 pm

blackie333 wrote:Free view TV is supposedly free but then the BBC insist that you have to have a TV license to watch any tv even if having a contract with
a company like Virgin that you are paying through the nose for???

One of the relatively few delights in gaining membership of the Curmudgeonly Old Buggers' Club is not having to pay for a TV licence.

One of my main gripes with free-to-view TV is the sheer number of moral blackmail adverts by insurance companies informing me that unless I buy one of their lousy value funeral policies, my entire family will be cast into debtors' prison because thy can't afford to bury me once my membership of the aforesaid Curmudgeonly Old Buggers' Club is involuntarily terminated.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
blackie333 wrote:Free view TV is supposedly free but then the BBC insist that you have to have a TV license to watch any tv even if having a contract with

One of the relatively few delights in gaining membership of the Curmudgeonly Old Buggers' Club is not having to pay for a TV licence.

One of my main gripes with free-to-view TV is the sheer number of moral blackmail adverts by insurance companies informing me that unless I buy one of their lousy value funeral policies, my entire family will be cast into debtors' prison because thy can't afford to bury me once my membership of the aforesaid Curmudgeonly Old Buggers' Club is involuntarily terminated.

I've actually been thinking about this, I don't know much about it.  Do you get to pre-pay your funeral at today's rate or do they take into account life expectancy and inflation? Which one is wrong between these two so called absolutes? Think10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:22 pm

One way or another, you pay for the media you consume -- either through a direct payment or through ads/commercials. The question is, which would you prefer?

Hopefully we'll someday see media companies offering both -- I.E. you could either pay for, say, Netflix, or go with their no-charge, ad-supported version.

Somebody who's done something really different in this area is the author Cory Morrow. You can buy his novels or download them for free ... but the free versions have ads between the chapters:

She closed her eyes and stood statue-still. The wind was dying down a little, but I still felt like I'd just eaten a pound of talcum powder and my eyes were stinging like I'd been pepper-sprayed.

"Bring your girly if you must. But no lights, not after you get out past the last art car. And if both of you end up in trouble because you wouldn't come out alone, you'll know who's fault it was."

She turned on her heel and walked off into the dust, and she was out of my sight in a minute. I hurried back to the temple to find Ange.

WORD: Brooklyn, NY

Brooklyn is full of kick-ass indie stores, but if I had to pick just one to visit (thankfully, I don't!), it would be Word, the tiny, adorable, perfect little store with the big basement that is a hub for community events. They're smart, sassy, and forward-looking, and their staff room (where visiting authors get to sit down and eat a quick take-out dinner) is full of funny stickers and posters -- even moreso than the usual indie store staff-room.

Word: 126 Franklin St, Brooklyn, NY 11222, +1 718 383 0096

Chapter 2.

They burn a lot of stuff at Burning Man. Of course, there's the burning of The Man himself on Saturday night. I'd seen that on video a hundred times from a hundred angles, with many different Men (he is different every year). It's raucous and primal, and the explosives hidden in his base made huge mushroom clouds when they went off. The temple burn, on Sunday night, was as quiet and solemn as the Man's burn was insane and frenetic. But before either of them get burned, there are lots of "little" burns.

http://craphound.com/homeland/Cory_Doctorow_-_Homeland.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:56 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

I've actually been thinking about this, I don't know much about it.  Do you get to pre-pay your funeral at today's rate or do they take into account life expectancy and inflation? Which one is wrong between these two so called absolutes? Think10

I haven't a clue, FTL - I haven't looked into any of these currently advertised plans because I ring-fenced a modest standard life assurance policy for that purpose years ago.

What I do know is that the ads are clearly aimed at the more elderly, whereas to secure a policy at some of the "only a few pence per day" premium payments being pushed as the main selling point, someone would have to start shelling out when they were much younger. The older you are, the higher the charges are going to be - and I will bet my bottom dollar that by the time one passes 65 they become exorbitant.

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:01 am

feelthelove wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

DO NOT GET FUNERAL INSURANCE

half the companies that offer it down here are now in court

it is a SCAM through and through taking advantage of Curmudgeonly Old Buggers Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:38 am

veya_victaous wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

DO NOT GET FUNERAL INSURANCE

half the companies that offer it down here are now in court

it is a SCAM through and through taking advantage of Curmudgeonly Old Buggers Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Who are you calling old??!!!!  Which one is wrong between these two so called absolutes? Pfft211

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down