NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hard Lessons Learned In Harris Co. Texas - Do Not Put A Barney Fife In Charge Of The Evidence Room Inventory!

3 posters

Go down

Hard Lessons Learned In Harris Co. Texas - Do Not Put A Barney Fife In Charge Of The Evidence Room Inventory!  Empty Hard Lessons Learned In Harris Co. Texas - Do Not Put A Barney Fife In Charge Of The Evidence Room Inventory!

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:01 pm

Precinct 4 Deputy Accidentally Tossed Untold Amount of Drug Evidence
Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 5 a.m.
By Meagan Flynn

Hard Lessons Learned In Harris Co. Texas - Do Not Put A Barney Fife In Charge Of The Evidence Room Inventory!  4323542532_ebe1ac8640_z
Thanks to the error of one Harris County Precinct 4 deputy, an untold number of accused drug offenders might be off the hook.

In January, Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman said his office discovered that the deputy, whom Herman did not name, accidentally threw away a large amount of drug evidence while cleaning out the property storage room. Herman said the property room was so overfilled with years' worth of evidence that "you could barely close the door" — so he tasked several deputies with taking inventory and finding out what could be legally thrown out. "We had four or five people back there doing the right thing—and then we had this one person who evidently did his own thing."
And the trickle-down effect of that deputy's error is just now coming to light: Last week, the Harris County District Attorney's Office dismissed a possession of methamphetamine case against David Bellamy after the prosecutor discovered the drug evidence was missing, as KTRK first reported. Herman said there have since been two more dismissals. The deputy has been fired.
"Our employee that did this violated some very serious policies with our department, and I could not keep him after those serious policy infractions," Herman said, adding: "We're disappointed that he chose to do what he did."
Herman said his office believes all of the evidence affected only includes possession cases, not large-scale drug-dealing cases. They appear to range from relatively new cases to some "dating back a ways," Herman said. All evidence had already been tested at the Houston Forensic Science Center and was awaiting trials. Precinct 4 has given a list of all the missing drug evidence to the district attorney's office, which has been tasked with identifying which defendants the drugs are tied to. And from the looks of it, once those defendants are identified, they'll likely be free to go.
Herman could not estimate how many cases are affected. KTRK cited a law enforcement source who apparently told the news station that "hundreds" could be in jeopardy. However, Herman was unsure where that number came from and could not confirm. He referred that question to the district attorney's office.
When we asked DA's office spokesman Jeff McShan about the scope of the problem, along with several other related questions, he responded: "The only comment we have for the Houston Press is that we are reviewing all cases involving [Precinct] 4. We have NO other comment for the Houston Press at this time."
In any case, sounds like these defendants lucked out.
http://www.houstonpress.com/news/precinct-4-deputy-accidentally-tossed-untold-amount-of-drug-evidence-8699960
Now, if this deputy was so utterly SOS as to toss out that many bags of evidence {est. 100 pkg} would he actually destroy them or just tuck them away some place for a 'Special Sale' and enjoy the profits for his Barney Fife day in the back room Suspect

Back to top Go down

Hard Lessons Learned In Harris Co. Texas - Do Not Put A Barney Fife In Charge Of The Evidence Room Inventory!  Empty Re: Hard Lessons Learned In Harris Co. Texas - Do Not Put A Barney Fife In Charge Of The Evidence Room Inventory!

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:43 pm

Does anyone think these drugs were "accidentally" thrown out? This is Harris County, after all.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Hard Lessons Learned In Harris Co. Texas - Do Not Put A Barney Fife In Charge Of The Evidence Room Inventory!  Empty Re: Hard Lessons Learned In Harris Co. Texas - Do Not Put A Barney Fife In Charge Of The Evidence Room Inventory!

Post by eddie Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:45 pm

"Accidentally" taken, "accidentally" sold, "accidentally" putting the same drug back on to the very streets they were confiscated from.
What a total waste of police time and public money.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Original Quill wrote:Does anyone think these drugs were "accidentally" thrown out?  This is Harris County, after all.

Oh, HELL ...that dumb-ass deputy dude could work that into a double-pay-day; one for all of the drugs he'd be re-selling and another for the kick-backs for the druggies he's allowed to be set free due to 'lack of evidentiary material' = GENIUS Razz  
But I have my doubts that this 'Barney Fife' is nearly that brilliant in his daily thought process! No

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:01 pm

I smell a rat.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Jules wrote:I smell a rat.

Indeed, the same county that would murder a black woman (Sandra Bland) for a taillight infraction, we now find loses $-millions in confiscated drugs.  I say, if your habit is to lie, my habit is to speculate.  Perhaps Ms. Bland witnessed the jailers selling the dope out the back door.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Jules wrote:I smell a rat.

Indeed, the same county that would murder a black woman (Sandra Bland) for a taillight infraction, we now find loses $-millions in confiscated drugs.  I say, if your habit is to lie, my habit is to speculate.  Perhaps Ms. Bland witnessed the jailers selling the dope out the back door.

Sandra Bland? I'd not heard of her, OQ. But it doesn't surprise me. Minor vehicle defects are often the precursor to grave injustices meted out regularly by those keen yank cops. lol!

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Jules wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Sandra Bland? I'd not heard of her, OQ. But it doesn't surprise me. Minor vehicle defects are often the precursor to grave injustices meted out regularly by those keen yank cops. lol!  

I have been on a campaign about Harris Co. TX, as the racist county in the US South.  An infinite number of racist accounts and stories come out of that one place.

BTW, a "taillight stop" is the notorious ruse used by southern police officers to stop black motorists.  It can never be disproved.  An amazing number of blacks have been gunned down by southern cops for the heinous crime of a flickering taillight.  

Sandra Bland was just one, although they engineered it as a suicide. Those taillight infractions can leave you with a lot of guilt. Evil or Very Mad

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down