NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women banned from swimming on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.

+4
HoratioTarr
JulesV
eddie
Syl
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Women banned from swimming on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.  Empty Women banned from swimming on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:30 pm

The Olympic sized swimming pool at the Inspire Sports Village in Luton has banned women from swimming between certain times on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.
They are allowed to use smaller pools or go to a different smaller local  baths.

http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/community/community-news/men-only-sessions-in-luton-pool-a-cultural-thing-1-7506305
Luton’s olympic swimming pool has began hosting gender-segregated swimming sessions because of “cultural” reasons, it has been alleged.

Users of the competitive pool at Inspire Sports Village in Stopsley – built with taxpayer-funded Olympic money – were given sudden notice that there would be men-only sessions on Friday evenings from July 29.

Seems the Inspire Sports centre are allowing Muslim men  to publicly discriminate against women....do you agree?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Women banned from swimming on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.  Empty Re: Women banned from swimming on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.

Post by eddie Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:41 pm

No I fucking don't.

That was my first thought then I thought: they close some pools off to the rest of the public for OAP sessions sometimes, is this any different?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Women banned from swimming on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.  Empty Re: Women banned from swimming on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:05 pm

eddie wrote:No I fucking don't.

That was my first thought then I thought: they close some pools off to the rest of the public for OAP sessions sometimes, is this any different?  

I think it is different Eddie, the same as they sometimes close off pools for pregnant women, though I was told this is because they heat the water at a different level to the normal water temperature.

It's certainly not excluding people through cultural differences.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:06 pm

(Try again, clearly to much sun lol)

This is inequality and gender discrimination.
A group is having their beliefs superscede that of other people and are being denied access to the pool at times.
It is also against the equality laws.
This organisation is breaking the law.

EHRC's new advice states: "Gender segregation is not permitted in any academic meetings or at events, lectures or meetings provided for students, or at events attended by members of the public or employees of the university or the students' union."

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Didge wrote:(Try again, clearly to much sun lol)

A group is having their beliefs superscede that of other people and are being denied access to the pool at times.

EHRC's new advice states: "Gender segregation is not permitted in any academic meetings or at events, lectures or meetings provided for students, or at events attended by members of the public or employees of the university or the students' union."

You cant accuse me of having too much sun, I live in Manchester fgs. Razz

What about pregnant ladies only sessions Didge?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:13 pm

Syl wrote:

You cant accuse me of having too much sun, I live in Manchester fgs. Razz

What about pregnant ladies only sessions Didge?

Health and safety due to overactive children, fast swimmers etc and also again its lessons, not a session for the pool to themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:14 pm

As to the sun Syl, last two days have been fab, and I am solar tron Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Didge wrote:As to the sun Syl, last two days have been fab, and I am solar tron  Laughing

Yesterday was glorious...a real tan top up day, today it's cold, I have actually had my heating on for half an hour. Mad

You are right about the pool being closed to others for a specific reason....eg, when children from local schools visit, keep fit for pensioners and pregnant women, but to close a pool so men from a different culture can swim without females for no other reason than they believe they are beneath them is 100% wrong.

This is a country that does not believe in sexual discrimination ...it shouldn't be allowed.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:As to the sun Syl, last two days have been fab, and I am solar tron  Laughing

Yesterday was glorious...a real tan top up day, today it's cold, I have actually had my heating on for half an hour. Mad

You are right about the pool being closed to others for a specific reason....eg, when children from local schools visit, keep fit for pensioners and pregnant women, but to close a pool so men from a different culture can swim without females for no other reason than they believe they are beneath them  is 100% wrong.

This is a country that does not believe in sexual discrimination ...it shouldn't be allowed.

Sorry to hear it is cold today.x

Its at odds with our secular values and is denying people access based solely on gender.
That is inequality and is allowing for a religious right to superscede our equality laws, as the equality laws do not apply to religious worship. To allow this opens the door to far worse where then people can aplly religious belief to discriminate on a number of other areas, like prejudice against groups like homosexuals.
Any swimming pool doing this should be sued if they are accomidating religious beliefs at the expense of equality, as they are breaking the law.

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Syl wrote:The Olympic sized swimming pool at the Inspire Sports Village in Luton has banned women from swimming between certain times on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.
They are allowed to use smaller pools or go to a different smaller local  baths.

http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/community/community-news/men-only-sessions-in-luton-pool-a-cultural-thing-1-7506305
Luton’s olympic swimming pool has began hosting gender-segregated swimming sessions because of “cultural” reasons, it has been alleged.

Users of the competitive pool at Inspire Sports Village in Stopsley – built with taxpayer-funded Olympic money – were given sudden notice that there would be men-only sessions on Friday evenings from July 29.

Seems the Inspire Sports centre are allowing Muslim men  to publicly discriminate against women....do you agree?

This would only be fair if the pool had were women-only nights too.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:38 pm

Jules wrote:
Syl wrote:The Olympic sized swimming pool at the Inspire Sports Village in Luton has banned women from swimming between certain times on Friday nights for 'Cultural reasons'.

This would only be fair if the pool had were women-only nights too.

Why should it...where will it stop?
Pool closed for non circumcised males?
Pool closed for bottle blondes.
Pool open for gays and lesbians only....it's ridiculous to segregate like this.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

You are right about the pool being closed to others for a specific reason....eg, when children from local schools visit, keep fit for pensioners and pregnant women, but to close a pool so men from a different culture can swim without females for no other reason than they believe they are beneath them  is 100% wrong.

Its at odds with our secular values and is denying people access based solely on gender.
That is inequality and is allowing for a religious right to superscede our equality laws, as the equality laws do not apply to religious worship. To allow this opens the door to far worse where then people can aplly religious belief to discriminate on a number of other areas, like prejudice against groups like homosexuals.
Any swimming pool doing this should be sued if they are accomidating religious beliefs at the expense of equality, as they are breaking the law.

Spot on. I wrote my post before I read yours...you put it so much better.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Spot on. I wrote my post before I read yours...you put it so much better.

Thanks Syl

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Friday is a holy day for Muslims, yes? Clearly this has something to do with it. Though I feel it has no place in the UK, because it's not part our culture and women have fought for equality for decades.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:03 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:Friday is a holy day for Muslims, yes?    Clearly this has something to do with it.   Though I feel it has no place in the UK, because it's not part our culture and women have fought for equality for decades.  

I agree HT. We may not be fully equal yet when it comes to jobs and wages, but we are a damn site more equal than many cultures.
I'm not sure why this sports centre is pandering to them, probably because Luton has a high population of Muslims, but that's no excuse for allowing women to be pushed back into second place.
I hope women and fair minded men of ALL faiths and cultures boycott them.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Should be open to all and those who don't like it should fuck off!!!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

So, it's not discrimination.  Even the EHRC states that there are exceptions where you can provide services to certain protected groups under certain circumstances.  Look it up.

Only on religious worship of which even that is wrong
Swimming is not religious worship, so its inequality and gender discrimination

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:12 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

You need to read the rules more carefully. See the EHRC website for exceptions.

I have and again its based around religious worship, which this is not religious worship

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:19 pm

One of two things is going on here. Either women feel threatened, or men feel they can't control themselves? I can see no other reason to segregate.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:22 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Didge wrote:

I have and again its based around religious worship, which this is not religious worship

Protected characteristics

gender reassignment
pregnancy and maternity (which includes breastfeeding)
race
religion or belief
sex
sexual orientation.

You can have certain exceptions for all these groups.  You'd know that if you had read it.

Not when it is based off religious worship that conflicts with gender eqality as I have already pointed out in a public place
Of which a swimming pool is.
There is no exception to segregate women and men based off religious belief in public places.
If such places are, then they are breaking the law

Last edited by Didge on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Muslim men are "PROTECTED GROUPS"?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Didge wrote:

Protected characteristics

gender reassignment
pregnancy and maternity (which includes breastfeeding)
race
religion or belief
sex
sexual orientation.

You can have certain exceptions for all these groups.  You'd know that if you had read it.

You need to provide a link.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:There are some exceptions to the general rules of equality law, when people’s protected characteristics may be relevant to the goods, facilities or services you provide. For businesses, these are:

Services for particular groups:
Services provided for people with a particular protected characteristic.
Separate services for men and women or single-sex services.
Where health and safety considerations apply to pregnant women.

As well as these exceptions, equality law allows you to treat disabled people more favourably than non-disabled people. The aim of the law in allowing this is to remove barriers that disabled people would otherwise face to accessing services.

Source: EHRC

Which is not religious belief

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:26 pm

The Lawyers’ Secular Society has welcomed the news that the Equalities and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) views gender segregation of university and campus events as unlawful. The only exception relates to religious worship and practice. You can read the EHRC’s advice here.

https://lawyerssecularsociety.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/good-news-ehrc-condemns-gender-segregation/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:07 pm

What exactly are these claimed 'cultural reasons' that are more important than everyone else...?

I would have thought that evenings would be the most popular times for vast majority of people... so should be open to all.

OAP's have all week day times to go for a swim... and i would have thought pregnant women would have a day time slot too if needed...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:13 pm

A lot of pregnant women work Tommy. You know, we can even walk and stuff Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:28 pm

What is it with people thinking pregnant women are somehow changed into delicate creatures unable to shift for themselves. Not only do we work, we do most other things we did before we got pregnant.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:35 pm

Many work... many don't... and many have other children to look after too so can't easily do evenings...

But I wasn't thinking about that... I was just thinking that day times would be much quieter time at a pool so a day time designated slot would be less disruptive to others...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:50 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:What is it with people thinking pregnant women are somehow changed into delicate creatures unable to shift for themselves.   Not only do we work, we do most other things we did before we got pregnant.  

I used to swim directly after a pregnant woman session in my local baths. The water was always warmer. I was told that the temperature of the water was higher to accommodate the expectant mothers.

The other possibility though was that pregnant women tend to wee more frequently than the rest of us. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:51 pm

On that note, I will remember never to use the pool after a pregnant women session.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Many work... many don't... and many have other children to look after too so can't easily do evenings...

But I wasn't thinking about that... I was just thinking that day times would be much quieter time at a pool so a day time designated slot would be less disruptive to others...

I would have thought that Friday evenings were the most popular time to unwind with a swim....for everyone.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:53 pm

eddie wrote:On that note, I will remember never to use the pool after a pregnant women session.

Lol....I prefer that to some of the other antics I saw when I was swimming....nose blowing in fingers and shaking it off into the pool being something I saw frequently.
I actually reported one man for consistently doing that.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:54 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

I would have thought that Friday evenings were the most popular time to unwind with a swim....for everyone.

Depends upon your age. Most people go out drinking and eating straight from work on a Friday.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:55 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Depends upon your age. Most people go out drinking and eating straight from work on a Friday.
True...lets hope we don't have to accommodate Muslim males only in our favourite eating places.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Exactly.

Every evening would be popular.

So... what are these 'cultural reasons'...?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

So, it's not discrimination.  Even the EHRC states that there are exceptions where you can provide services to certain protected groups under certain circumstances.  Look it up.

Why are Muslim men a protected group?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:01 am

Syl, I asked that earlier, no answer!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:02 am

OFFS!!!! Why not stop getting your knickers in a twist and actually look at their weekly programme, which has SWIMMING FOR LADIES ONLY EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.activeluton.co.uk/swimming-timetables

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:10 am

sassy wrote:OFFS!!!!    Why not stop getting your knickers in a twist and actually look at their weekly programme, which has SWIMMING FOR LADIES ONLY EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No its wrong when is based over religious beliefs and practices which then conflict with our laws.

We have one set of laws, not ones born from the 7th century, which women have fought for years to obtain equality

This not only opens up the door to far worse, but is allowing based off a backward belief that shames women over their bodies, through gender discrimination.

That is against the law

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:17 am

Bollocks is it, been to ladies only waterrobics many times, if they didnt allow men only it would be sexual discrimination. Stop being a plank.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:20 am

sassy wrote:Bollocks is it, been to ladies only waterrobics many times, if they didnt allow men only it would be sexual discrimination.    Stop being a plank.

Those are based on lessons and have a purpose as they cater to one of the sexes

Doh

Again this is being based on religion which is against the law to segregate

You really are that cluelsss, the purpose is to segregate based off poor backward beliefs that claim and blame women for the belief also men cannot control their desires.

I mean imagine this for one second based on the beliefs of some Islamic sects
If this deity existed
Either he is incompetant that he would have created men with a flaw they have such uncontrollable desires, that now women suffer by having to cover up to prevent sexual harrasement all the way to cases of rape, which even then provides an excuse in Islam for rape. Even though women covered up are raped anyway by sex offenders.

Or this deity deliberately creeated men this way and knowingly created a vastly increased possibilty and risk of women being raped.

That is sick beyond belief

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:26 am

The women only sessions at Luton Baths ARE NOT BASED ON LESSONS DOH.   Gave you the link to look them up DOH   Pea brain, religion obsession tw(i)t.

Last edited by sassy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:28 am

sassy wrote:The women only sessions at Luton Baths ARE NOT BASED ON LESSONS DOH.   Gave you the link to look them up DOH   Pea brain, religion obsession twit.

It its areobics they are lessons, which is what you said after and if men wanted to join them to learn and are barred, if would also be gender discrimination.
Even women only sessions would be gender discrimination which are again based off religion at Luton, read the previous link

Either way what you are arguing is and backing discrimination

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:31 am

That was what I went to.

The Luton pool, where the once a week men only session is being discussed HAS WOMEN ONLY SWIMMING EVERY DAY, NO TEACHING, NO LESSONS, JUST SWIMMING DOH!

Monday 12:15 - 13:15 Adult Women Only Community Pool (20m)

Gave you the link, realise it's beyond you to look at it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:33 am

sassy wrote:That was what I went to.

The Luton pool, where the once a week men only session is being discussed HAS WOMEN ONLY SWIMMING EVERY DAY, NO TEACHING, NO LESSONS, JUST SWIMMING DOH!

Monday 12:15 - 13:15 Adult Women Only Community Pool (20m)

Gave you the link, realise it's beyond you to look at it.

Again it is based off having a high population of Muslims, read the many links on this where they even admit to accomdate this, which you are blatantly ignoring. Religious beliefs is not  a valid reason

Again even women only sessions where men wantd to swim and were denied not based off a valid reason, would be gender discrimination

Regressive lefties have no liberal values and back and supercede religious beliefs over our liberal values

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:49 am

Did you speak or did the normal rant blow out of your arse. From the smell, it was the rant. Ah well, can't expect anything else from our raving anti religious nutcase.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next