NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary

5 posters

Go down

Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary Empty Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary

Post by Syl Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:17 pm

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tributes-remember-those-lost-lives-191659537.html

The first world war battle lasted for 141 days and led to more than one million casualties.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary Empty Re: Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:30 am

This is a good thread Syl. Millions of men and women lost their lives in that battle including many on the very first day. It was a slaughter and all that it achieved was advancing just a few miles.

Many of those that lost their lives came from the pals battalions which was men who signed as pals together rather than just being incorporated into units chosen by the Army. They came from all walks of life from all over the country including your home town. You can read about them on here.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/the-pals-battalions-of-the-first-world-war
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary Empty Re: Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:31 am

Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary 13557962_10153852187862753_9017181320454161511_n
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:23 pm

Irn Bru wrote:This is a good thread Syl. Millions of men and women lost their lives in that battle including many on the very first day. It was a slaughter and all that it achieved was advancing just a few miles.

Many of those that lost their lives came from the pals battalions which was men who signed as pals together rather than just being incorporated into units chosen by the Army. They came from all walks of life from all over the country including your home town. You can read about them on here.

Thank you for posting that Irn, I am going to save the link, show it to my son when he comes home tonight, he will find that very interesting, as will many.
I have been listening to some stories about people who's grandads, great uncles etc died or were injured at the Somme.
The battle stated at 7.30am and before the day was over 20000 British men, many of them young lads, lay dead.
The Somme was the bloodiest battle in British history.

Here is a local account of the Eccles pals.

http://salfordonline.com/26796-ecccles-pals-decimated-first-day-battle-somme.html

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Gone but never forgotten X
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:28 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary 13557962_10153852187862753_9017181320454161511_n

A local historian said today,many of the young local lads who joined up were obviously years younger than the required 18 years.
As young as 15 and 16. They were patriotic, they had seen the posters proclaiming "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"...and it seemed like a good adventure. They were also very poor and hungry, so the thought of being fed well, and travelling to foreign shores was very appealing, they would be home within 6 months, so what did they have to lose? Sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary 5bd31ee33cecc3b0ac656f114965f1eb

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:35 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:Gone but never forgotten X

A 2 minutes silence was held here and in France this morning. Live footage being shown on TV all day. There is also a big commemoration in Salfords Heaton Park this evening. Thats just local to me, no doubt there will be remembrance services somewhere near you all today.

Gone but never forgotten is so true SM. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:45 pm

Didge wrote:Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary 5bd31ee33cecc3b0ac656f114965f1eb

That a very moving tribute Didge...thank you. x

I wonder how many of us here had relatives, maybe ones we didn't even know about, who died in bloody battle 100 years ago.
I have no one left to ask....but maybe some here do.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:49 pm

Syl wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:Gone but never forgotten X

A 2 minutes silence was held here and in France this morning. Live footage being shown on TV all day. There is also a big commemoration in Salfords Heaton Park this evening. Thats just local to me, no doubt there will be remembrance services somewhere near you all today.

Gone but never forgotten is so true SM. x

This was in the news today

reminder of real sacrifice and integrity': Commuters moved to tears as actors dressed as fallen soldiers silently hand out cards carrying the names of those killed at the Battle of the Somme

Daily mail
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Syl wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:This is a good thread Syl. Millions of men and women lost their lives in that battle including many on the very first day. It was a slaughter and all that it achieved was advancing just a few miles.

Thank you for posting that Irn, I am going to save the link, show it to my son when he comes home tonight, he will find that very interesting, as will many.
I have been listening to some stories about people who's grandads, great uncles etc died or were injured at the Somme.
The battle stated at 7.30am and before the day was over 20000 British men, many of them young lads, lay dead.

http://salfordonline.com/26796-ecccles-pals-decimated-first-day-battle-somme.html

My OH's great grandfather died in the Somme. He was in the Accrington Pals. Also, his grandfather died in WW2. He was a navigator in a Lancaster Bomber and died on his first mission to France. So two of his family.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary 5bd31ee33cecc3b0ac656f114965f1eb

I wonder how many of us here had relatives, maybe ones we didn't even know about, who died in bloody battle 100 years ago.

I think just about everyone will have some relative no matter how distant that will have fought in the First World War, a war that was fought stupidly on Pride, greed, through the endless expasion of European Colonialism. It sadly was a war that was inevitable, where many nations had been close to going to war on many occasions previously to the assassination of the Archduke. If the countries had of known what horrors chemical warfare would produce, its reasonable to assumne, they would have avoided war at all costs. But that is easy to say in hindsight. One of the biggest failings of the First World War, is they simply learn no lessons from the American Civil. Where later trench works were used extensively and why there was so a high loss of life in that conflict.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

I think just about everyone will have some relative no matter how distant that will have fought in the First World War, a war that was fought stupidly on Pride, greed, through the endless expasion of European Colonialism. It sadly was a war that was inevitable, where many nations had been close to going to war on many occasions previously to the assassination of the Archduke. If the countries had of known what horrors chemical warfare would produce, its reasonable to assumne, they would have avoided war at all costs. But that is easy to say in hindsight. One of the biggest failings of the First World War, is they simply learn no lessons from the American Civil. Where later trench works were used extensively and why there was so a high loss of life in that conflict.

You'd think they would learn, wouldn't you? The highest loss of life in the ACW was through infection and disease... two thirds of them, in fact.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:00 pm

Commuters were stopped in their tracks this morning as they were confronted with men dressed as soldiers at stations across the country to mark the centenary of the Battle of the Somme, one of the bloodiest battles in British military history.
Hundreds of young men dressed in World War One army uniforms appeared at stations in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Friday.
Some of the soldiers broke into song, singing “We’re here because we’re here” to the tune of Auld Lang Syn

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/we-are-here-battle-of-the-somme-commemorations-soldiers-song-stations_uk_57763708e4b0c94608007862?edition=uk&utm_hp_ref=uk

Clips and pictures on link

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:58 pm

My great grandad was there... he got blown up by a shell but managed to crawl to a red cross tent where they saved his life... but he list complete use of one of his arms... the medics wanted to amputate it as it was in such a sorry state... but he said no.

I remember meeting him as a young boy.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Hundreds of young men dressed up today in London as soldiers as part of the remembrance of the Somme.

Battle of the Somme 100 year anniversary 35D91D4A00000578-3669617-image-m-26_1467382674454

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3669617/Silent-actors-dressed-ghost-soldiers-posted-stations-country-poignant-reminder-lost-bloody-Battle-Somme.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:My great grandad was there... he got blown up by a shell but managed to crawl to a red cross tent where they saved his life... but he list complete use of one of his arms... the medics wanted to amputate it as it was in such a sorry state... but he said no.

I remember meeting him as a young boy.

Most people do not understand most that fought did so thinking they were doing right by their nation and yet we see how your relative Tommy ended up sacrificing a very part of him. He actively went out and fought, no matter whether right or wrong and suffered and I bet further suffered because of this disability.
I am glad you are proud of him.
Soldiers never decide whether to go to war, they just sadly are the ones that enact the part of that play, that is the story of their life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:09 pm

We are so cosseted today in comparison to the men who fought the first 2 world wars.
The things they saw, the injuries they suffered, and the 'lucky' ones who made it back must have gone through hell with little understanding of the lasting mental effects.

The women and kids who welcomed them home had no idea that the husbands, sons and fathers who came back would be changed forever by the hell they had endured.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:13 am

Syl wrote:

I read up on the Eccles lads and it was really quite detailed about individual soldiers. I know the Accrington pals suffered very badly with the unit being pratically wiped out but they reformed with new recruits and went to fight on. Brave men they all were

In Edinburgh we had McCrae's Battalion and when the Heart of Midlothian football team signed up follwed by their supporters and players and supporters from other clubs it sparked a wave of more sportsmen doing the same. There's a trubute somg to them which you can listen to here.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:20 am

Syl wrote:We are so cosseted today in comparison to the men who fought the first 2 world wars.
The things they saw, the injuries they suffered, and the 'lucky' ones who made it back must have gone through hell with little understanding of the lasting mental effects.

The women and kids who welcomed them home had no idea that the husbands, sons and fathers who came back would be changed forever by the hell they had endured.

We have whole generations of young people who don't know what it's like to go without. To really struggle. I know we have poverty here, and homelessness, but I mean a whole nation, as they did in two world wars. Everyone pulled together in those days, mostly. Nowadays, you can drop down dead and people will step over you. I remember seeing a lad run over on Deansgate, he went up in the air and went under the wheels of this van, and got dragged about 50 yards down the tarmac. I was the only one who ran to him straight away. I put my carrier bag of shopping under his head. Most people just stood and gawped. Shock probably but I was appalled at how slowly they came forwards, and then it was only a handful of us.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:44 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:We are so cosseted today in comparison to the men who fought the first 2 world wars.

We have whole generations of young people who don't know what it's like to go without.   To really struggle.  I know we have poverty here, and homelessness, but I mean a whole nation, as they did in two world wars.   Everyone pulled together in those days, mostly.   Nowadays, you can drop down dead and people will step over you.   I remember seeing a lad run over on Deansgate, he went up in the air and went under the wheels of this van, and got dragged about 50 yards down the tarmac.   I was the only one who ran to him straight away.   I put my carrier bag of shopping under his head. Most people just stood and gawped.   Shock probably but I was appalled at how slowly they came forwards, and then it was only a handful of us.

That must have been really traumatic, I hope he was OK.
Thank God for people like you who do act on impulse, because that's what it is imo.

I believe many heroic acts are done on instinct without even thinking about it. The person who aids another or speaks out without thinking of their own well being first is often the one person who acts with courage......if you are lucky other people will follow suit, worse scenario is everyone else pretends they don't see.

As a society I agree that now many people put themselves first and seem to have little empathy for others.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Syl wrote:

I read up on the Eccles lads and it was really quite detailed about individual soldiers. I know the Accrington pals suffered very badly with the unit being pratically wiped out but they reformed with new recruits and went to fight on. Brave men they all were

In Edinburgh we had McCrae's Battalion and when the Heart of Midlothian football team signed up follwed by their supporters and players and supporters from other clubs it sparked a wave of more sportsmen doing the same. There's a trubute somg to them which you can listen to here.

The line.."Forever young, the pals of the sporting battalion"....is a fitting tribute.

Have you noticed the haunted expressions on the faces of many of the men who posed for pics....what they had seen and what they will see etched into their expressions even when they are smiling.
I have found the many grainy photographs of the soldiers from back then that have been published over the last few days very moving.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down