NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas?

4 posters

Go down

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? Empty Could Hillary Clinton win Texas?

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:51 pm

A few pundits have even raised the notion of a Clinton victory in Texas—a huge state with more Electoral College votes than any state other than California.

In a lengthy profile by New York magazine’s Rebecca Traister, Clinton was almost salivating at the notion:

“Texas!” she exclaimed, eyes wide, as if daring me to question this, which I did. “You are not going to win Texas,” I said. She smiled, undaunted. “If black and Latino voters come out and vote, we could win Texas,” she told me firmly, practically licking her lips.

A Clinton victory in Texas would mean Democrats could hypothetically lose in all three major battleground states—Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania—and still take the White House. But consider Clinton’s massive primary victory in the state, and Trump’s lopsided loss to Ted Cruz in the state’s primary.

There is also Texas’s large and growing Latino population. Clinton won 70% of the Texan Latino vote over Bernie Sanders according to exit polls from the Feb. 2016 primary; whereas more than 80% of Latinos nationwide view Donald Trump unfavorably.

That said, experts are skeptical as to how much, if at all, the dial will move leftward for Texas in November. “Party identification for Latinos in Texas is not as one-sided as it is elsewhere,” Dr. James Henson, a professor of government at the University of Texas, Austin, and director of the school’s Texas Politics Project, tells Quartz. “While Latinos are still overwhelmingly Democratic in Texas, the margins are smaller than in comparable states.”

Still, Henson admits the time might be ripe for a leftward shift in the Lone Star State. “If ever you’re going to swing for the fences, or think that there might be a real outlier outcome, this would probably be that election,” he says, noting Trump’s pronounced unpopularity among mainstream Republicans.

“Secretary Clinton is right,” he adds, “If Latinos and African Americans do turn out in sufficient numbers, she might be able to pull off an upset in Texas.”

http://qz.com/702577/a-texas-pollster-explains-how-hillary-clinton-just-might-turn-the-lone-star-state-blue/

She needs to tap Julian Castro as her running mate. With a Texan Latino on the ticket, she could manage a victory so massive, it might permanently destroy the Republican Party.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? Empty Re: Could Hillary Clinton win Texas?

Post by Original Quill Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:11 pm

Texas is probably the next 'tipping' state...certainly the largest, and so the one everyone is watching.

The Dallas/Ft. Worth area is changing--perhaps even up to 20th-century standards now--and cities like Austin, where the University of Texas is located, and El Paso, are downright liberal. (I love El Paso, but I tend to think of as an extension of New Mexico, a liberal state.)

But Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. And that's double-chocolate rich Republican. It's primary industry is oil and related, subsidiary industries, and that means cowboys and rednecks.

The big question is, when will the Hispanic influx in the voter rolls overwhelm the numbers. Only then will Texas become liberal. And that will be after 20-years of voter suppression and other shenanigans by old white men, as they die off.

But you know I love Wendy Davis, a rising star in the Democratic Party. We need her when California and the Pacific States break out to go it alone.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Actually, Houston has gone purple. Obama won Harris County in 2012 by less than 1,000 votes. And that was an election when the Republicans were running one of the blandest politicians in recent memory, not Mr. Make America Hate Again.

Two more things:

* You don't get to take El Paso out of Texas. It is a beloved Texan city. It's also part of a big blue stripe that runs along the Rio Grande.

* You don't get Wendy Davis.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:39 pm

I buy some products called Old El Paso - seasoning, tortilla wraps and sauces

Nothing to do with Hilary. I just wanted to join in Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:45 pm

eddie wrote:I buy some products called Old El Paso - seasoning, tortilla wraps and sauces

Nothing to do with Hilary. I just wanted to join in Razz

Old El Paso -- tastes as great as its name! (Not really.)

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? Logo_for_Old_El_Paso,_Oct_2014

Though they do make my favorite taco seasoning mix -- having it tonight!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:48 pm

I love their seasing mix. I put it on vegetables too.

I can eat Texan y'all Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? 1366281442
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:50 pm

eddie wrote:I love their seasing mix. I put it on vegetables too.

Tried to cook it into a burger once, but I guess it either got burned out or overpowered by hickory smoke Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:55 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

Tried to cook it into a burger once, but I guess it either got burned out or overpowered by hickory smoke Smile

Yeah I put it inside a chicken and it burned and smelled bad. Old el stinko No
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

Yeah I put it inside a chicken thinking it would infuse the whole bird, and it burned and smelled bad.
Old el stinko No
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:49 am

Ben Reilly wrote:Actually, Houston has gone purple. Obama won Harris County in 2012 by less than 1,000 votes. And that was an election when the Republicans were running one of the blandest politicians in recent memory, not Mr. Make America Hate Again.

Two more things:

* You don't get to take El Paso out of Texas. It is a beloved Texan city. It's also part of a big blue stripe that runs along the Rio Grande.

* You don't get Wendy Davis.

Look...we'll split it down the middle. You can keep El Paso. Much as I love the place, it would be too difficult to move.

But we get Wendy Davis. She's way too liberal for Texas. Besides, she isn't native Texan...she was born in Rhode Island, and went to Harvard University. I think she would like San Francisco and would fit in perfectly.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:01 am

Is Old El Paso Consdered real mexican food?

it is the main brand here I always assumed it was 'bastardised mexican'

I like it. but it like most mexican
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:25 am

veya_victaous wrote:Is Old El Paso Consdered real mexican food?

it is the main brand here I always assumed it was 'bastardised mexican'

I like it. but it like most mexican

Same here. I thought it was pretend Mexican seasoning.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:58 pm

It's Tex Mex, which is its own thing. You can see the difference with tacos, here's the familiar Tex Mex taco:

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? Bftlarge

Whereas in Mexico they look more like this:

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? 20140428-sloppy-joe-chorizo-taco-recipe-food-lab-lite-8-thumb-625xauto-397651

In Mexican cuisine, there's no such thing as "taco seasoning" -- their tacos are filled with meat recipes which have their own seasoning (they aren't made exclusively to fill tacos).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:She's way too liberal for Texas.

Remind me who it was who signed into law the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act, the Gun Control Act of 1968 ... created Medicare, Medicaid, SNAP ... appointed America's first black Supreme Court justice ... did he perhaps wear a cowboy hat? Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Ben wrote:here's the familiar Tex Mex taco:

Ben wrote:Whereas in Mexico they look more like this:

And in Tijuana they look like this...

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? 1435019993_holly-madison-hugh-hefner-zoom

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:49 am

Ben Reilly wrote:It's Tex Mex, which is its own thing. You can see the difference with tacos, here's the familiar Tex Mex taco:

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? Bftlarge

Whereas in Mexico they look more like this:

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? 20140428-sloppy-joe-chorizo-taco-recipe-food-lab-lite-8-thumb-625xauto-397651

In Mexican cuisine, there's no such thing as "taco seasoning" -- their tacos are filled with meat recipes which have their own seasoning (they aren't made exclusively to fill tacos).
I so enjoy the option of either a 'soft shell taco' or a 'crispy hard shell white/or yellow corn shell'; but my BIL {born & raised in Mexico} swore that the true form of a Mexican taco had to be a 'FRIED TACO' >

Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? Picture-046

OH, - HELL - NOOOOOO, far too much grease and that shell just tasted horrible
Could Hillary Clinton win Texas? Vomiting-girl-smiley-emoticon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down