NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Our Messed Up VA compares to British VA Benefits; Anyone Care To Weigh In On What We Can't Seem To Get RIGHT?

2 posters

Go down

How Our Messed Up VA compares to British VA Benefits; Anyone Care To Weigh In On What We Can't Seem To Get RIGHT?  Empty How Our Messed Up VA compares to British VA Benefits; Anyone Care To Weigh In On What We Can't Seem To Get RIGHT?

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2016 6:08 pm

VA has declared thousands of living vets dead,
stripped benefits in last five years

Published May 26, 2016
The Wall Street Journal
The Department of Veterans Affairs has mistakenly declared thousands of veterans to be deceased and canceled their benefits over the past five years, a new snafu to emerge at the embattled department.

The VA has made the error more than 4,000 times over a half-decade because of employee mistakes or erroneous cross-checking of data by the department’s computers, among other reasons, according to correspondence between the VA and the office of U.S. Rep. David Jolly (R., Fla.) reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. The VA changed its procedures to address the issue, but it isn’t yet clear whether the new system is effective.
“Although these types of cases represent a small number of beneficiaries in comparison to the millions of transactions completed each year in our administration of benefits, we sincerely regret the inconvenience caused by such errors and work to restore benefits as quickly as possible after any such error is brought to our attention,” a VA spokesman said in a statement.
It wasn’t immediately clear whether the latest data represented an increase in the error rate or what prompted the VA to tackle the problem.
Every year, about 400,000 veterans or others receiving VA benefits die and their awards are canceled, according to department statistics. Of the roughly two million veterans declared deceased in the past five years, 4,201 cases involved incorrect declarations that the VA eventually corrected before resuming payments to the still-living beneficiary.
The VA noted that such errors make up less than 1% of all benefits terminations each year and that the accuracy rate of terminations because of death is 99.83%, according to the department’s most recent figures. The department said it doesn’t keep records of the causes of the errors.
Over the past decade, the VA has used what is called the death match program to prevent people from cashing benefits checks sent to deceased veterans. In 2010, the VA’s inspector general said the program had led to 382 arrests and recovery of $40 million in fraudulent payments.
Under a new system instituted late last year, the VA sends a letter to the beneficiary believed to have died and waits 30 days for a response before terminating the benefits and declaring the person dead. The department said it doesn’t have statistics on whether the new system has reduced such errors.
Difficulty keeping track of veteran deaths poses other problems. In September 2015 the VA’s Office of Inspector General issued a report noting that about 35% of the department’s approximately 870,000 pending applications for enrollment into the VA health-care system as of September 2014 were for people reported as dead by the Social Security Administration.
The report noted that most of the pending records are likely outdated, though the record system makes it unclear. Such a convoluted system helps “create unnecessary difficulty and confusion in identifying and assisting veterans with the most urgent need for health-care enrollment,” the report said.
In March, the enrollment system updated more than 130,000 dates of death in conjunction with Social Security’s official rolls to cut back on pending applications.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/26/va-has-declared-thousands-living-vets-dead-stripped-benefits-in-last-five-years.html

U.S.
Thousands of Living Vets Declared Dead and Lost Benefits in Past Five Years

VA moves to fix the problem, but results aren’t clear; veteran proves he’s alive with congressman’s help
By Ben Kesling - The Wall Street Journal             
Updated May 25, 2016 6:22 p.m. ET

The Department of Veterans Affairs has mistakenly declared thousands of veterans to be deceased and canceled their benefits over the past five years, a new snafu to emerge at the embattled department.
The VA has made the error more than 4,000 times over a half-decade because of employee mistakes or erroneous cross-checking of data by the department’s computers, among other reasons, according to correspondence between the VA and the office of U.S. Rep. David Jolly (R., Fla.) reviewed by The Wall Street
http://www.wsj.com/articles/thousands-of-living-vets-declared-dead-and-lose-benefits-in-past-five-years-1464174000

Sure, we can and seem quite capable of 'head hunting' and 'blame-gaming' the head man in charge; but if we fire this buffoon and replace him with yet another large & in charge How Our Messed Up VA compares to British VA Benefits; Anyone Care To Weigh In On What We Can't Seem To Get RIGHT?  2190311264 how does this resolve the SAME OLE' BS problems have gone on - are still going on - seem unable to have a solution within our American Veterans Agency How Our Messed Up VA compares to British VA Benefits; Anyone Care To Weigh In On What We Can't Seem To Get RIGHT?  2396444674

So how does Britain manage their Veteran system so smoothly, anyone know?

Back to top Go down

How Our Messed Up VA compares to British VA Benefits; Anyone Care To Weigh In On What We Can't Seem To Get RIGHT?  Empty Re: How Our Messed Up VA compares to British VA Benefits; Anyone Care To Weigh In On What We Can't Seem To Get RIGHT?

Post by veya_victaous Thu May 26, 2016 11:44 pm

I am Pretty sure Britain is like here and much better at pension payments to veterns, in part due an all-round bigger and move advanced social welfare system.

Although I think both of us can improve mental health support for veterns, the reality is both are way ahead of what you have in the USA.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

How Our Messed Up VA compares to British VA Benefits; Anyone Care To Weigh In On What We Can't Seem To Get RIGHT?  Empty Re: How Our Messed Up VA compares to British VA Benefits; Anyone Care To Weigh In On What We Can't Seem To Get RIGHT?

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I am Pretty sure Britain is like here and much better at pension payments to veterns, in part due an all-round bigger and move advanced social welfare system.

Although I think both of us can improve mental health support for veterns, the reality is both are way ahead of what you have in the USA.

The ole guy across the street; 88yrs old - retired Navy - lung issues + lots of other medical issues, just widowed for the 2nd time and he's received paper work that he was declared 'DEAD' 8 years ago ...about the time he went in for his 9 by pass open heart surgery.
That his VA heart doctor had given him a 100% excellent check up for 33 days before he nearly keeled over in my front yard. Suspect

I'm doing all I can to support him 'emotionally and with paper work'; but I'm sending daily emails to 5 different agencies and 3 state representatives just to keep those 'home fires burning'!
And these are the oldest of our veterans; I can't imagine what our walking wounded - mentally needy are struggling to over come with all of this utter BS karfarckle paper work boondoggle, that our VA has managed to create. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri May 27, 2016 1:57 am

4Ever - The UK does not have an equivalent of the VA. Mr. C was 25 years serving. He gets a nice pension. Because of the National Health Service British veterans do not get separate health care. There are special pensions awarded to WW2 vets and their survivors. Under the classification system that Mr. C signed up to, I will get his pension if he dies before me. We will also qualify for a state pension when 60. Sometimes there are subsidized housing through armed forces charities available for vets, the Chelsea Hospital/Chelsea Pensioners being the most famous, but again they are not as prevalent due to having a nationalized health care and also nursing home system.

I agree that the VA needs to be reformed and ASAP, but my grandpa is a WW2 vet (almost 94 god love him) and he has never had anything but help and good service from the VA. My son's fiancee's mom works for the VA and likes it and believes they are changing. Mistakes are still going to happen as with any large bureaucracy.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 2:02 am

Well, that do make a huge difference ...I tend to forget about your national health care and that makes so many of our other old antiquated service agencies redundant No

TY

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri May 27, 2016 2:07 am

4EVER2 wrote:Well, that do make a huge difference ...I tend to forget about your national health care and that makes so many of our other old antiquated service agencies redundant No

TY

No problem. Good luck with helping your neighbor. Disgraceful. No
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down