NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bride and groom write to guest demanding 'adjustment' to £100 gift

+2
Raggamuffin
Major
6 posters

Go down

Bride and groom write to guest demanding 'adjustment' to £100 gift  Empty Bride and groom write to guest demanding 'adjustment' to £100 gift

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2016 11:22 am

Mumsnet user says she was ‘gobsmacked’ after newlyweds sent email suggesting her contribution was not sufficient

A pair of newlyweds have sparked outrage after a wedding guest revealed they had contacted her to say her gift wasn’t generous enough.

The anonymous guest, an ex-colleague of the bride, asked for advice on a Mumsnet forum after being told the £100 cheque she gave the couple was not sufficient.

Within three days she was inundated with more than a thousand responses, with many urging her to cancel the cheque altogether.

According to the poster, known as Puzzledandpissedoff, the email from the newlyweds read: “We were surprised that your contribution didn’t seem to match the warmth of your good wishes on our big day. In view of your own position, if you wanted to send any adjustment it would be thankfully received.”

The guest said she was “gobsmacked” and explained that her “own position” probably referred to a recent inheritance she had received.

“Please anyone, what do I do now? I’ve never come across anything like this before and still can’t quite believe they’ve done it – but since they have, should I reply, ring them, ignore it or what??” she asked.

While many users suggested cancelling the cheque, others advised informing mutual friends about what had happened.
One user wrote: “I would email back but BCC any mutual friends in so they are able to see the email for themselves.
“That is entitled and grabby. It’s a gift not an obligation and many people wouldn’t have given so much to an ex-colleague.”

Another said: “Cancel the cheque, then post their email on Facebook.”

Another commented: “Whatever the circumstance that is very rude. As to whether or not the gift was appropriate: did you bowl up with a partner and six children and proceed to demolish the buffet and free bar? No? Then £100 is a generous gift to an ex-colleague.”

The poster returned to the thread to express her surprise at the huge response she had had and added that in the end she chose to reply with one sentence: “I assume this was some sort of mistake?” Some days later she said the bride had still not responded.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/may/11/bride-and-groom-write-guest-demanding-adjustment-100-gift

I'd cancel the cheque and send them one for £1

Back to top Go down

Bride and groom write to guest demanding 'adjustment' to £100 gift  Empty Re: Bride and groom write to guest demanding 'adjustment' to £100 gift

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2016 11:41 am

No  SMH...and reading some of those responses and how those dim-wits would handle such a distasteful lack of manners; well, that explains why so many humanoids purge their every spilt hairs out on FB for the entire world to read. 

It's become the 'hit'm where it hurts' or 'get'm before they can get you' place to purge the dirty laundry Suspect

Frankly...I would have sent the bride a
'YOU'RE WELCOME' card, and because you deemed it necessary to place a monetary value on our FRIENDSHIP --- consider it paid in full, I am done with you! 
Friendship Over!

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Bride and groom write to guest demanding 'adjustment' to £100 gift  Empty Re: Bride and groom write to guest demanding 'adjustment' to £100 gift

Post by Raggamuffin Wed May 11, 2016 11:50 am

WTF? People like that will be getting divorced in no time as they obviously don't appreciate the meaning of marriage.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Its pretty unbelievable the gall some people have.
I'd not have let them get away with it though.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed May 11, 2016 4:03 pm

I always think that people who have big fancy weddings are more interested in appearances than anything else. I knew someone who had a fancy wedding, and the bride was so concerned that it went well that she almost forgot her new husband. That marriage didn't last long.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed May 11, 2016 4:10 pm

When I got married £100 would have paid for the meal, the booze and the Honeymoon and a bit left over for a packet of Woodbines!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 pm

A friend of mine got married not long ago with just two witnesses.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed May 11, 2016 6:38 pm

what complete and utter snotheads. They need to remember what celebrating a marriage/partnership is all about.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed May 11, 2016 9:33 pm

So any adjustment would be gratefully received??

My suggestion, cancel the original cheque and write out a new one with a number 0 where the 1 was = £000.
Add a little wave goodbye smiley so they get the message. Bride and groom write to guest demanding 'adjustment' to £100 gift  C0219
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2016 9:41 pm

I was a bit kinder, put £1 lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed May 11, 2016 9:45 pm

sassy wrote:I was a bit kinder, put £1 lol

You have a bigger heart than me Sassy. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down