NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?

+4
Original Quill
nicko
eddie
Miffs2
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 Empty PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

What I recall my older sisters wearing and these were
sewn at home {not my image/photo} circa 1960's
NO KNEE LENGTH and absolutely no mini-skirts, YET!
PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 Prom2

My age group - circa 1970's and again - sewn at home
No one wore any maxi-medi-mini to our proms
PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 36ea42b3beb787aca7e169476cad1afa

My son's generation: Hollywood Glitz and HOOKER-HO
seemed to be the style of dress for the girls --- No One
wore a long gown and all of the dresses just barely
covered the butt cheeks and stay up where they were supposed
to cover the breasts! 
PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 Four+decades+of+prom+dress+horror

What was your formal like?  Care to share the horror of that nights events?

Last edited by 4EVER2 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 Empty Re: PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Those treat bags sound brilliant.  We never get that many kids so I just have a big tray of sweets and lollies etc.

Back to top Go down

PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 Empty Re: PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:45 pm

Lord Foul wrote:like the poor old chap up my street last year who had to take his missus to a hospital appointment...only to find that the dear little "fun loving tricksters" had let his tyres down.... PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 3755771736
and YES the "adults with them had allowed it

fortunately they hadnt dared do the same to my vehicle (doubless knowing the consequences therof...) so I ended up spending a morning waiting for him and his missus at the hospital and half the afternoon getting his car tyres reinflated....( a trip to quick fit , as the tyre bead had come off the rim).......great...

That's pretty godawful that those lesser thinking humans would pick on the elderly guy --- NOT RIGHT IN ANY DAY.

Hmmm, not to PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 Poking-with-stick-smiley-emoticon to hard at you...but you are beginning to sound much like Clint Eastwood in his movie 'Grand Torino'; ever see it?  Phenomenal movie - must see to appreciate how a good ole' dude in a changing neighborhood can make a difference.

Moral of the movie; it pays to get acquainted with your neighbors - despite racial differences! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:like the poor old chap up my street last year who had to take his missus to a hospital appointment...only to find that the dear little "fun loving tricksters" had let his tyres down.... PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 3755771736

fortunately they hadnt dared do the same to my vehicle (doubless knowing the consequences therof...) so I ended up spending a morning waiting for him and his missus at the hospital and half the afternoon getting his car tyres reinflated....( a trip to quick fit , as the tyre bead had come off the rim).......great...

Bastards.
All tremendous fun I'm sure Evil or Very Mad

yup they should ban the practice....

mind you they should also ban fireworks ....scares the crap out of many domestc animals (mind you ...not my dogs....they like to sit and watch them, but they give my poor old hens the collywobbles) and out of the local wildlife....Not to mention there is ALWATS some twat who thinks letting WWIII loose at 3 in the morning constitutes fun.....
apparantly the latest "good idea" round here is to get one of those multishot air bomb type things (you know, the ones that bring you your own personal Somme) drive somewhere...light it then drive away before anyone notices....at silly o'clock in the morning....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:52 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:
Bastards.

mind you they should also ban fireworks ....scares the crap out of many domestc animals (mind you ...not my dogs....they like to sit and watch them, but they give my poor old hens the collywobbles) and out of the local wildlife....Not to mention there is ALWATS some twat who thinks letting WWIII loose at 3 in the morning constitutes fun.....
apparantly the latest "good idea" round here is to get one of those multishot air bomb type things (you know, the ones that bring you your own personal Somme) drive somewhere...light it then drive away before anyone notices....at silly o'clock in the morning....

Now, who was it the other day who was moaning about them banning anything that was fun in case it was dangerous.  Now I remember, twas you Victor lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:55 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:
Bastards.

My Mollie hates fireworks, she is totally petrified. It goes on for weeks now too  Evil or Very Mad
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 pm

4EVER2 wrote:

That's pretty godawful that those lesser thinking humans would pick on the elderly guy --- NOT RIGHT IN ANY DAY.

Hmmm, not to PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 Poking-with-stick-smiley-emoticon to hard at you...but you are beginning to sound much like Clint Eastwood in his movie 'Grand Torino'; ever see it?  Phenomenal movie - must see to appreciate how a good ole' dude in a changing neighborhood can make a difference.

Moral of the movie; it pays to get acquainted with your neighbors - despite racial differences! Wink

Fortunately we dont have any of "them" in the neighbourhood....That may have presented me with a moral dilemma...

I mean...I cant say as i was aquainted with this old guy...all I knew him as was "that old fellow up the street".... I noticed his problem when he came out and got visibly upset...so I went to see what the problem was....

NOW...given the way "certain representatives" of "them others" have treated me in the past...had this old guy been "one of them" would I have actually cared enough as to enquire what his problem was?

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:59 pm

Shame on you if a racial difference made you not enquire, no matter how you have been treated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:02 pm

sassy wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:
Bastards.

Now, who was it the other day who was moaning about them banning anything that was fun in case it was dangerous.  Now I remember, twas you Victor lol

and who's twisting truths again Sassy?

dangerous is one thing

this behaviour is anti social, regular, affects many people negatively

something that is dangerous ONLY under certain conditions and ONLY to the person/ s involved or uninvited unwanted intruders is a totally different thing...
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:02 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:what part of the above do you object to 4ever?
It's about FUN...doing things for the children---doesn't mean it's gotta be about WAR & PEACE---right?  Just fun Rolling Eyes

He's a grumpy old git Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:03 pm

sassy wrote:Shame on you if a racial difference made you not enquire, no matter how you have been treated.

why...given that you didnt initially know they stung......would you stick your hand in a wasps nest TWICE??
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Think you were talking about horse racing, very dangerous for the horse and a lot of the jockeys, oh and something the crown when the horse jumps in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
sassy wrote:Shame on you if a racial difference made you not enquire, no matter how you have been treated.

why...given that you didnt initially know they stung......would you stick your hand in a wasps nest TWICE??

Because you're a human being and you see another human being in trouble.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Halloween isn't supposed to be about children playing mean tricks,
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:05 pm

Nope, it's about having fun and dressing up.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:07 pm

sassy wrote:Nope, it's about having fun and dressing up.

Of course it is! And after a certain age they shouldn't be knocking on people's doors either.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:07 pm

eddie wrote:
sassy wrote:Nope, it's about having fun and dressing up.

Of course it is! And after a certain age they shouldn't be knocking on people's doors either.

Spoilsport!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:13 pm

eddie wrote:Halloween isn't supposed to be about children playing mean tricks,

Oh, I'll concur completely about that; there should be an limitation for age appropriateness' for sure --- keep the little ones safe and the 10 yr old - high school age group busy. 

They have a carnival night here; silly games/cake walk/for those 10 - 18 and the proceeds go to the 'After Prom Party' every year...and then there's the dance for the 13 - 18 yr olds and they must have a period piece costume to get in FREE or it's $5. at the door.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Yes 4ever I'm don't like seeing teens with a mask on just mucking about and knocking on doors - it's not right. I wouldn't let my son do it (not that he would tbh) and they can scare the little ones.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:54 pm

sassy wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

and there's something "special" about humans??

as Veya would have it ...those violent hairless apes??

PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 2190311264
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
sassy wrote:

PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 2190311264

I'd do it for an ape as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:37 pm

sassy wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 265384880 WOW...this has been a titillating thread --- from 'Prom to Primates' PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 3239900740 
I think I've missed something PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 3408175593  up there somewhere... fiesta

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:46 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
sassy wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 265384880 WOW...this has been a titillating thread --- from 'Prom to Primates' PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 3239900740 
I think I've missed something PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 3408175593  up there somewhere... fiesta

you are defo missing something "up there" geek Razz Razz Razz
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:48 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:

you are defo missing something "up there" geek Razz Razz Razz

Sort of like a female you?  geek

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:51 pm

I have always made it quite clear i'm not a complete idiot....some bits are missing......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:52 pm

And what left is a bit twisted lol.   Aren't we all!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:54 pm

there's nothing left about me

even the left side is all right
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Nah, it's just that the right side don't know what the left is doing. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:56 pm

my brian is in two minds

on the left there is nothing right
on the right there is nothing left
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:58 pm

Enough of this nonsense, all that is left is to go to bed, it's only right lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:51 am

Lord Foul wrote:my brian is in two minds

on the left there is nothing right
on the right there is nothing left

Oh...I'll have to concur with you whole heartedly...I think that there are some issues in that cranium; but more along the line of too much flatulence issue  PROM - FORMAL DANCES, did your school have an annual event?  - Page 2 Brain-fart-smiley-emoticon
But what do 'I' know; I'm an American that enjoys HALLOWEEN Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:17 am

We didn't have anything like that. I guess my school was a place of learning, not a place of dancing and having fun. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:44 am

Raggamuffin wrote:We didn't have anything like that. I guess my school was a place of learning, not a place of dancing and having fun. Laughing

So was mine, it was a boarding school though, we had lessons 9 - 4, then a break and tea until 6, then 3hrs compulsory homework sitting at tables in the dining room, supervised.  We also had lessons 9 - 1 on Saturday morning, compulsary games Saturday afternon (or once a half term allowed into the local town), compulsary church Sunday morning, compulary 2 hour walk Sunday afternoon (whatever the weather).   The only break we got was Saturday night when the younger ones had a film and the older ones had the dance.   No TV.   Radio's turned off at 10 even for the older ones.   No wonder the exam results were sky high.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:49 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:
I'll admit that in my youth...we did all sorts of mischief to our down town area; stacking some hay bales {both small square & round ones} in front of a few commercial doors, soaping up some windows, T-P'd {toilet papered} some teachers outside landscape bushes & trees...and one rather ugly attitude Vice Principal had his VW Bug turned around sideways in his garage --- now that was pure genius - lots of the old timers got a hoot out of that one.  But we never set anything on fire - broke windows - destroyed property and we'd always have to go clean up the debris left from soaping windows and removing the hay bales.

But it became a horrible night of chaos and property damage for several groups behind our class --- they burnt down a guys garage, broke store windows and caused lots of insurance claims; that put a stop to any teens being out on Halloween unless they were with younger siblings - taking them around to Trick or Treat. 

But as some have stated; it's an opportunity to greet & meet your neighbors - drop in and say hello and if you don't care to give out high sugar content snack & goodies --- pennies and pencils are always fun too.  But the annual pumpkin smashing does wait until much later that evening --- 16 years I've lived here and I've never had any of my rustic yard art/windmills/milk cans/old wagons/antique tricycles stolen or relocated --- and pumpkins can be displayed a week before Halloween and never had any problems with them being stolen or destroyed Exclamation

You are right, mischief is one thing. But it's just become a night of violence here, the feral little bastards stone police cars and ambulances. Throw bricks through windows and set bins alight. One thing that has never left me and it was 10 years ago, old chap walking home from the shops, gang of kids stole his shopping threw water over him and then burst a bag of flour on his head. When passers by asked if he was ok he replied he was just waiting to die.

That's so sad. Sad
I hope that man recovered and people were kind to him.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:53 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:We didn't have anything like that. I guess my school was a place of learning, not a place of dancing and having fun. Laughing

You are not of the generation that held school and college proms Rags.....it's a fairly new thing in the UK.

The most we ever had were Friday lunchtime disco's......very embarrassing they were to as the lads didn't join in and the music (picked by the headmaster) was dire.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:56 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Syl stated >>>
I don't know why 4ever....but your post reminded me of a scene in Oklahoma.....the stage version when Hugh Jackman played Curly.
I don't mind at all Syl, I grew up being called: 'hay seed' - 'hay shaker' - 'dirt farmer' - 'clod hopper' - and some other REAL un-sundry type names because we were farm kids and ran around doing 4-H projects and miscellaneous good deeds. We were a tight group of boys & girls and still stay in touch all these 60 years later.
Not one druggy or alcoholic among this group --- not that we didn't try the marijuana though Wink   
And we were poor but never really were aware of it because everyone we played with - attended school with were in the same economic status quo that we were.

Rural America is just about the same, regardless of what state we live in...only the names and weather conditions change.  LOL

It sounds quite magical to grow up like that ....I don't think I saw a tree or a cow till I was about 12 years old.

I get the 'poor' comment though....we were poor but because everyone else in my area was in the same boat we never felt poor....just happy. I suppose whether you grow up in an urban area or the countryside as long as you are loved you fit in anywhere.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Syl wrote:

You are not of the generation that held school and college proms Rags.....it's a fairly new thing in the UK.

The most we ever had were Friday lunchtime disco's......very embarrassing they were to as the lads didn't join in and the music (picked by the headmaster) was dire.

I hope nobody saw my last reply - it was completely the wrong thread, so I deleted it quickly. Laughing

We didn't have anything like that at all - a Friday lunchtime disco might have been fun. Surprised I guess we used to go to the youth club instead, which was in a school but not the school I went to.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:08 pm

I think you got away with it. Razz

Ahhh the youth club,  ours  was run by the local sunday school.
My over riding memory is that the last record that was played was always this one. Laughing

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:12 pm

Oh dear Syl. Razz

I loved the youth club - they played a lot of Motown there, and some used to muck around on scooters and mopeds in the car park. The school I went to wasn't local, so there was no chance for any after-school activities anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:17 pm

I just played that Youtube as I was loading it.
My OH came in and said quote..."What the *****ing hell is that ?" Razz

Off to shop...laters. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:24 pm

What the fucking hell is that? Shocked

lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Oh lor, I know every word of that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:15 pm

Syl wrote:I just played that Youtube as I was loading it.
My OH came in and said  quote..."What the *****ing hell is that ?" Razz

Off to shop...laters. x

Oh wow...the Browns.  Do you know how significant they were to American music?

Their three part harmony helped establish the 'wall-of-sound' of Phil Spector.  He did it with the Teddy Bears, and the Browns did it with this one.  The Momas & Poppas and Rightous Brothers were following, more familiar versions.  

Additionally, their Baptist roots led to that relative major modulation that they made in the last stanza of this piece.  That was unheard of in three-chord rock music of the day.  This became famous with the Limeliters--listen to the Baptist oriented There's a Meetin' Here Tonight--and was incorporated into many modern songs.

Check out the ending.  Modulation to the relative major.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:23 pm

Lol Quill....I just played that...never heard of it before.

I didn't realise the Browns were so important in American music, I don't think I ever saw them performing till I has access to YouTube.

My memory of them was the lads would grab the girls for the last dance....which was always that song.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:24 pm

What a very odd song for a last dance!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:28 pm

It was a bit...he dies at the end. Crying or Very sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:32 pm

I know, found myself singing every word to it, bit of a shock!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:03 pm

Isn't it funny that songs from our youth that we may not have heard in decades......when we eventually hear them again we remember every single note and word.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2