NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Isn't it time this brutal 'sport' was banned?

+5
Tommy Monk
HoratioTarr
'Wolfie
Raggamuffin
Syl
9 posters

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Isn't it time this brutal 'sport' was banned? - Page 2 Empty Isn't it time this brutal 'sport' was banned?

Post by Syl Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Yet another boxer seriously ill in an induced coma in hospital.
We frown on dog/cock/any other animal fighting, but encourage one human being to beat another human being to a pulp....all in the name of sport.
http://news.sky.com/story/1667832/boxer-blackwell-in-coma-after-eubank-fight
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Isn't it time this brutal 'sport' was banned? - Page 2 Empty Re: Isn't it time this brutal 'sport' was banned?

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Judo is ultimately about throwing someone onto the ground as hard and as many times as you can... and fencing is ultimately about killing someone with a sword...

Boxing is about the skill of being able to hit without being hit... if it was about beating each other then they would just be made to stand still and take turns at having a free punch at the other until damage/knock out decided winner...

It might be if you are a musceteer...but in this country in this day and age fencing isn't really about killing anyone anymore.

Only because of the padding and protective gear...

But still just about the 'art' of one person being better than another at stabbing them to death with a sword...!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Isn't it time this brutal 'sport' was banned? - Page 2 Empty Re: Isn't it time this brutal 'sport' was banned?

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Some people do cheer on men who fight in the street - if it was a fair fight. Laughing There are rules in boxing, and there's a referee.

The referee wasn't much good in this latest fight. The opponent of the boxer  who is in a coma  was advised  by his own father to avoid his head as he was obviously badly hurt....the ref allowed the fight to carry on for 10 rounds.

That is just an argument about poor refereeing... or existing safety measures being poorly enforced...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

It might be if you are a musceteer...but in this country in this day and age fencing isn't really about killing anyone anymore.

But still just about the 'art' of one person being better than another at stabbing them to death with a sword...!

Yes it's an art...the cut and thrust etc, but no one ever gets hurt never mind stabbed do they?...that's not the object of the sport.
Boxing IS about hurting the other person.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:22 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

The referee wasn't much good in this latest fight. The opponent of the boxer  who is in a coma  was advised  by his own father to avoid his head as he was obviously badly hurt....the ref allowed the fight to carry on for 10 rounds.

That is just an argument about poor refereeing... or existing safety measures being poorly enforced...

Would most boxing enthusiasts support professional fighters wearing padded head protectors to minimise brain injuries do you think?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:36 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Would most boxing enthusiasts support professional fighters wearing padded head protectors to minimise brain injuries do you think?

Fencing... root is stabbing and killing opponent... protective gear is the only thing preventing this...

However many professionals in boxing are saying that the bigger padding in gloves IS reducing external facial physical damage but this actually prolongs most fights and the brain is being rattled about much more than otherwise would be!

Last edited by Tommy Monk on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:37 pm

A punch to the head might cause damage even with headgear because of the brain banging against the other side of the skull.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:A punch to the head might cause damage even with headgear because of the brain banging against the other side of the skull. 

So does heading a football

What are we going to ban every sport because people are kill joys?

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:40 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

Fencing... root is stabbing and killing opponent... protective gear is the only thing preventing this...

However many professionals in boxing are saying that the bigger padding in gloves IS reducing external facial physical damage but this actually prolongs most fights and therefore the brain is being rattled about much more than otherwise would be!

I understand that the protective gear when fencing prevents injuries....boxing gear does not.

Even if protective helmets were worn in boxing, it wouldn't prevent some brain injuries because like you say the continuous rattling around of the brain would still happen.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:A punch to the head might cause damage even with headgear because of the brain banging against the other side of the skull. 

I didn't suggest banning boxing.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

But the arguments are being made on  head injuries, which would then incorporate far many more sports

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/01/football-heading-brain-damage

So why single out boxing by some here

I think its more to do with the fact its associated with violence than a view on injuries as the real reason

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

But the arguments are being made on  head injuries, which would then incorporate far many more sports

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/01/football-heading-brain-damage

I think its more to do with the fact its associated with violence than a view on injuries as the real reason

I was addressing Syl's point about the possible use of head protection.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

I just read that Rags....yes you are right, I added a post saying the same thing after you.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

I am well aware of that, but again the view is being made on injuries in boxing ignoring the risks in many other sports

So clearly the reason on injuries is not the real motive is it?

As clearly they would be against any sport that caused or could cause head injuries

Like I say the view is based on the associated violent nature of the sport as to why people generally oppose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:49 pm

Sorry, I can't see the ethical way to ban something consenting adults do together without hurting anyone else. (See what I did there?)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:54 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Yes it's an art...the cut and thrust etc, but no one ever gets hurt never mind stabbed do they?...that's not the object of the sport.
Boxing IS about hurting the other person

Injuries From Fencing

Fencing is a combat sport involving three different weapons that approximate those used in historic sword fights. Thrusting weapons are the fencing foil and epee; the cutting weapon is the sabre. As with any intense athletic activity that involves direct competition against an opponent, injuries can occur in fencing
. Modern safety equipment has evolved to minimize, if not eliminate, the risks. Most fencing injuries today happen to the joints of the lower extremities as a result of footwork

The Most Common Injuries in Fencing

The majority of fencing injuries are to the knees and ankles. These injuries can be chronic overuse injuries, or acute injuries that happen suddenly. The incidence of these injuries is split about evenly between practice and competition. Since most fencers spend far more time practicing than competing, however, the intensity of competition seems to increase the likelihood of injury. A fencing lunge, for example, can result in an impact equivalent to seven times your body weight on the lead foot.

Fatalities in Fencing

Death in fencing is not a common occurrence, but some fatalities have occurred during its history. All of these fatal injuries share certain features in common. The majority of fatalities have occurred during epee fencing due to injuries from broken blades that developed jagged edges. The injuries were inflicted either to the throat, head or the upper body through the ribcage. All have involved elite-level male fencers, whose physical abilities may exceed the protective capacity of safety equipment.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/352096-injuries-from-fencing/

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Didge wrote:My Uncle second person in the photo

Isn't it time this brutal 'sport' was banned? - Page 2 C420-4720

Second person from where? Left or right?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's an opinion ...this is a forum, and boxing and it's devastating result of a fight has been in the news.

As for 'interfering' you are the worst poster on this forum for barging in with unwanted interference....leave the thread if it offends you.

You are trying to impose a ban on boxing, which is more than an opinion

Its not up to you what people do with their lives

They know the risks, thus its their choice not yours

Your views on me just prove what a fucking retard you are as your views on me are irrlevant

lol!

You just can't help yourself, can you?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

Another thing about this barbarism called sport is the way people work themselves up into a frenzy when they see someone being half killed...or even actually killed as has happened.
Personally I find it obscene. If they saw two men fighting in the street would they cheer and jeer and egg them on? Well some might, but they would be the weak minded.....yet because they have paid good money to watch a planned fight it's acceptable. Isn't it time this brutal 'sport' was banned? - Page 2 2190311264

Men have fought for thousands of years, originally over women for the best mate or all of them
Its an instinctive evolutionary part within men to fight
You cannot just take away hundreds of thousands of years of instinct

We've gathered that from the way you drag your knuckles all over this forum.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Didge wrote:

Heading footballs...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/major-league-soccer/11986163/Heading-the-ball-to-be-banned-for-children-under-11.html

Rugby tackles...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/12179548/Ban-contact-rugby-in-schools-say-health-experts.html

Raggs... in boxing it is said that bigger padding in gloves actually makes fights go on for longer... cuts/swelling/outright knockout chances ARE reduced... YES... but by limiting these injuries that would have meant end to fight... Instead the fight goes on for much longer meaning more potential for damage inside the head to brain!!

Adding even more padding by forcing headgear to be worn will only make things worse...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Didge wrote:

Heading footballs...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/major-league-soccer/11986163/Heading-the-ball-to-be-banned-for-children-under-11.html

Rugby tackles...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/12179548/Ban-contact-rugby-in-schools-say-health-experts.html

Raggs... in boxing it is said that bigger padding in gloves actually makes fights go on for longer... cuts/swelling/outright knockout chances ARE reduced... YES... but by limiting these injuries that would have meant end to fight... Instead the fight goes on for much longer meaning more potential for damage inside the head to brain!!

Adding even more padding by forcing headgear to be worn will only make things worse...

Tommy, I wasn't suggesting using headgear - Syl was. I pointed out that headgear would not necessarily prevent brain injuries.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Didge wrote:

Men have fought for thousands of years, originally over women for the best mate or all of them

Do you ever shut up?

Seriously, get over your stupidity and get back to debating

you are boring the fuck out of everyone with this petty hate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Sorry, I can't see the ethical way to ban something consenting adults do together without hurting anyone else. (See what I did there?)

That's what I always say... don't know why I'm so misunderstood here...!?

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 pm

I gather that Nick Blackwell sustained an injury just above one eye, and it was that which did the damage - it wasn't actually to his head as such. Wearing headgear wouldn't prevent such damage unless it came right down to their eyes.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Didge wrote:

Heading footballs...

Rugby tackles...

Boxing is scored on points though.  A knockout is not that common.   So, it's about choices.  If two people are stupid enough to want to beat shit out of each other, that's up to them.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Heading footballs...

Rugby tackles...

Tommy, I wasn't suggesting using headgear - Syl was. I pointed out that headgear would not necessarily prevent brain injuries.

Yes I know... I was agreeing with you and adding supporting theory!

Laughing
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I gather that Nick Blackwell sustained an injury just above one eye, and it was that which did the damage - it wasn't actually to his head as such. Wearing headgear wouldn't prevent such damage unless it came right down to their eyes.

I should think more percussive injury might happen if they wore headgear, which could mean more brain damage.   Also, it would obscure peripheral vision.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:21 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes I know... I was agreeing with you and adding supporting theory!

Laughing

Oh I see. I thought there was some confusion. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:22 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I gather that Nick Blackwell sustained an injury just above one eye, and it was that which did the damage - it wasn't actually to his head as such. Wearing headgear wouldn't prevent such damage unless it came right down to their eyes.

I should think more percussive injury might happen if they wore headgear, which could mean more brain damage.   Also, it would obscure peripheral vision.

Yes. Headgear might actually cause more damage if a punch rammed the headgear into the head.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Syl Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:02 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Didge wrote:

Witty. lol!
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

Boxing IS about hurting the other person

Injuries From Fencing

Fencing is a combat sport involving three different weapons that approximate those used in historic sword fights. Thrusting weapons are the fencing foil and epee; the cutting weapon is the sabre. As with any intense athletic activity that involves direct competition against an opponent, injuries can occur in fencing
. Modern safety equipment has evolved to minimize, if not eliminate, the risks. Most fencing injuries today happen to the joints of the lower extremities as a result of footwork

The Most Common Injuries in Fencing

The majority of fencing injuries are to the knees and ankles. These injuries can be chronic overuse injuries, or acute injuries that happen suddenly. The incidence of these injuries is split about evenly between practice and competition. Since most fencers spend far more time practicing than competing, however, the intensity of competition seems to increase the likelihood of injury. A fencing lunge, for example, can result in an impact equivalent to seven times your body weight on the lead foot.

Fatalities in Fencing

Death in fencing is not a common occurrence, but some fatalities have occurred during its history. All of these fatal injuries share certain features in common. The majority of fatalities have occurred during epee fencing due to injuries from broken blades that developed jagged edges. The injuries were inflicted either to the throat, head or the upper body through the ribcage. All have involved elite-level male fencers, whose physical abilities may exceed the protective capacity of safety equipment.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/352096-injuries-from-fencing/

Sort of fades in comparison against this....and this was written over 20 years ago, there have been many other serious injuries and deaths since then.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/boxing-boxers-dying-or-left-seriously-injured-after-fights-1575159.html
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Sorry, I can't see the ethical way to ban something consenting adults do together without hurting anyone else. (See what I did there?)

lol!

Err...what about incest?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Stormee wrote:I played Rugby Football from 8 to almost 40.
I had some bangz and gave some.
The only bad injury I remember was a broken leg for my mate.
There are more serious injuriz from cycling.
Let the players choose.

My boxing career was roughly the same, don't tell Didge or he will troll me.
Everyone gets hurt in boxing, we knew the score.

Some aerosolz wanna stop 'conkers.

I think conkers are great.....I have no wish to stop any sport or activity that doesn't deliberately set out to hurt, badly injure, maim or kill.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:34 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

lol!

Err...what about incest?

Ben...!?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Didge wrote:

Yet again another wonderful example of your immaturity

Just how do you maintain such ignorance

Well being so ignorant must be bless for you I guess

How about, I dont know you actually y counter the points instead of being a twat? 

See if you are capable

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:38 pm

You already replied to that post earlier Didge ...
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Syl wrote:
Stormee wrote:I played Rugby Football from 8 to almost 40.
I had some bangz and gave some.
The only bad injury I remember was a broken leg for my mate.
There are more serious injuriz from cycling.
Let the players choose.

My boxing career was roughly the same, don't tell Didge or he will troll me.
Everyone gets hurt in boxing, we knew the score.

Some aerosolz wanna stop 'conkers.

I think conkers are great.....I have no wish to stop any sport or activity that doesn't deliberately set out to hurt, badly injure, maim or kill.

Your stance is hypocritical as again the view is being made on injuries in boxing ignoring the risks in many other sports

As clearly they would be against any sport that caused or could cause head injuries

Like I say the view is based on the associated violent nature of the sport as to why people generally oppose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:You already replied to that post earlier Didge ...

Stop harassing and stirring

i will only warn you once

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:You already replied to that post earlier Didge ...

Just helping you out - in case you forgot you already replied to it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

Its up to me if I reply again because its me wanting a reason for its continued immaturity, which is none of your business

Now you have been told why

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Its up to me if I reply again because its me wanting a reason for its continued immaturity, which is none of your business

You mean you were stirring ... because you didn't get a reply the first time.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

Reported

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Reported

What for? Everyone had moved on, but you just had to bump the post.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:45 pm

Mods a Pm has been sent

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Didge wrote:Mods a Pm has been sent

I shall report you for reporting me for frivolous reasons. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:Mods a Pm has been sent

Is he spamming the complaints line now too...!?

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:50 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Is he spamming the complaints line now too...!?

lol!

I think so. lol!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 pm

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Moving on then ...

Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

Your stance is hypocritical as again the view is being made on injuries in boxing ignoring the risks in many other sports

Right now that the children have been dealt with.

back to the points

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next