NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment

+3
eddie
Victorismyhero
Major
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 Empty The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ministers are planning to cut a key element of the Personal Independent Payment

A coalition of 25 disability charities has written to the Government to warn against plans that would strip some disabled people of a key payments meant to help them live more independent lives.

The Disability Benefits Consortium wrote to the minister for disabled people, Justin Tomlinson, to argue that proposed changes to Personal Independence Payment – or PIP – assessments would have a “severe impact” on people’s security and make it harder for them to find work.

The Government wants to cut PIP payments for people who currently receive it to help them afford specially-adapted appliances and equipment.

Examples of qualifying equipment currently includes adapted cutlery for people who find it difficult to hold things for long periods of time and specially-designed household items for people less able to stand.

The Government says a review found the current payments were “not working as planned”, but charities say stripping disabled people of the assistance will hurt the most vulnerable.

“This decision could have a devastating impact on the lives of people with MS. In the worst cases, they could lose up to £150 a week,” said Michelle Mitchell, chief executive of the MS Society.

“PIP is an essential benefit which goes towards the extra cost of being disabled.

“The new plans will fail some of the most vulnerable people in society and we have serious concerns about the future health and welfare of those affected.”

The call comes a day after new figures from the Department for Work and Pensions showed that the assessment process for Employment and Support Allowance – another disability benefit – was putting people into the wrong category of a widespread scale.

Those figures showed that over half of appeals against ESA “fit to work” decisions were successful – and that thousands of people who were deemed “fit to work” were actually ill.

36 per cent of all ESA “fit to work” claims are appealed, meaning the mistakes affect a large number of people.
The Minister for Disabled People, Justin Tomlinson, said: “The introduction of Personal Independence Payment to replace the outdated Disability Living Allowance for working age claimants has been a hugely positive reform.

“But it is clear that the assessment criteria for aids and appliances are not working as planned. Many people are eligible for a weekly award despite having minimal to no extra costs and judicial decisions have expanded the criteria for aids and appliances to include items we would expect people to have in their homes already.

“We consulted widely to find the best approach. And this new change will ensure that PIP is fairer and targets support at those who need it most.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/disability-benefit-cuts-pip-personal-independent-payment-adapted-equipment-dwp-justin-tomlinson-iain-a6926041.html

Vile, vile, vile, disgusting scummy buggers!

Back to top Go down

The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 Empty Re: The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Lord Foul wrote:The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 3489511464 The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 3489511464 The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 3489511464 The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 3489511464 The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 3489511464 The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 3489511464 The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 3489511464

I've just looked...using the edit button

and the only difference effectively....is......................

a pair of missing [quote} [/quote} descriptors in the code.....

wonder if we can move the quote and edit buttons a bit further apart....

donr worry raggs...I dont beleive in "maliciously" editing someones post so as to misrepresent whats said....

and even if I was to edits a post becasue of content...I would make the changes obvious (by colouring them) and leave an explanation as to why....

I'm NOT trying to mess with your head ....

You EDITED MY POST! FFS! This is what I've been saying, and you and Sassy have denied it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 Empty Re: The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:26 pm

I'm not claiming you're doing it to mess with my head, but now your comments are attributed to my account and not your account. Can you not sort it out?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:26 pm

No I see what ragga is saying...her ORIGINAL post did get altered...

cant do much now...becasue THAT has been quoted

I'll get used to that extra button...sooner or later....

smile.........
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Lord Foul wrote:No I see what ragga is saying...her ORIGINAL post did get altered...

smile.........

Thank goodness you see what I'm saying. I could go back and delete everything you said in MY post.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:27 pm

My original post has not been quoted by anyone else as far as I can see.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:29 pm

I don't like this quoting of posts and then inserting text in between paragraphs as it is, let alone when it's done in my actual post!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:30 pm

keep yer shirt on...done ...I THINK

Laughing

ohhh you ARE a fussy one.... Razz
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:32 pm

Lord Foul wrote:keep yer shirt on...done ...I THINK

Laughing

ohhh you ARE a fussy one.... Razz

That's even worse now!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:36 pm

Right, I've deleted all that using my own edit button. If you want your post back, you'll have to beg. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:39 pm

Rolling Eyes I......anit that fussy Razz
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:40 pm

and damn...I cant see any way to move that "edit" button out of harms way.....grrrrrrrrrrrr.......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's not a good indicator though. They might have a dodgy knee, so they need to sit on the bed to put their trousers on. That doesn't mean they have other problems. In any case, there are several categories, so I don't think each category is designed to indicate how mobile or able they are generally - it's more specific than that.

aaannnddd.......then they need a thing to help them pull their socks on, then a walking aid...then they need a stair lift, and a walk in bath or wet room shower, and so on and so forth.......

of course all YOU see is "a dodgy knee...a "bit of an inconvenience" .....its not "life threatening"...well ragga...actually it IS.....climbing in and out of a bath is a dangerous business for someone with a poorly functioning knee walking up and down stairs with a dogy knee is dangerous....

but hey ho...if they fall and break their neck I suppose they wont need ANY "benefits" which you seem to begrudge anyone.....they will cease being a "burden upon society...and we will all be so much better off wont we.......really????

They wouldn't necessarily need those things though. The issue of a wet room would come under a different category for a separate 2 points anyway.

I suppose the question is - can one assume from the claims in the PIP questionnaire that claimants have issues other than the ones that are covered in the questionnaire? Should those other issues be covered in the questionnaire rather than assumed?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Why has someone given me a red for pointing out the obvious? Was it you Sassy?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:54 pm

Lord Foul wrote:and damn...I cant see any way to move that "edit" button out of harms way.....grrrrrrrrrrrr.......

This happens sometimes on forums. You used red text, so at least it was fairly obvious which were your comments and which were mine. That doesn't always happen though, and it can look like someone said something they didn't say. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:59 am

Lord Foul wrote:No I see what ragga is saying...her ORIGINAL post did get altered...

smile.........
This is just all so F'n amusing...if the issue so disturbed the unfortunate --- well so easily CONFUSED
Poster...why the hell couldn't SHE just go back and *bump* up her own original post and FFS stop the WHINING---??? The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 2396444674 The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:34 am

aspca4ever wrote:

smile.........
This is just all so F'n amusing...if the issue so disturbed the unfortunate --- well so easily CONFUSED
Poster...why the hell couldn't SHE just go back and *bump* up her own original post and FFS stop the WHINING---??? The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 2396444674    The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 2190311264

I wasn't confused specsaver/snake - I knew what had happened. It was your mate who was confused.

Why are you here sticking your nose in when you clearly have no interest in the thread?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:41 am

aspca4ever wrote:

smile.........
Poster...why the hell couldn't SHE just go back and *bump* up her own original post and FFS stop the WHINING---??? The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 2396444674    The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 2190311264

Good Morning

Everybody wants the forum to be a better place with far less squabbling and fighting and as seen since Victor has been added to the team of Mods, this has vastly improved and more also because many posters are moving on and wanting to, from past squabbles. The above is not helping in any shape or form, its goading Rags, has no relevance to the debate and its this sort of antics that derails the thread. May I suggest that if you have nothing to add onto the debate, that you keep personal opinions about other posters with no relevance to the thread to yourself please. Victor has admitted he is at fault, mainly as he is getting used to the forum functions and Rags has every right to question if her post had been altered.

Lets all try and move on.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:54 am

I generally ignore asp's posts if they're not bitching about me. I don't like her messy posting style or her attempts to be "witty", and I don't bother to read her posts on most subjects. It had been going well but now it seems she wants to start it all up again.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:43 am

Stormee wrote:
Didge wrote:

Good Morning

Everybody wants the forum to be a better place with far less squabbling and fighting and as seen since Victor has been added to the team of Mods, this has vastly improved and more also because many posters are moving on and wanting to, from past squabbles. The above is not helping in any shape or form, its goading Rags, has no relevance to the debate and its this sort of antics that derails the thread. May I suggest that if you have nothing to add onto the debate, that you keep personal opinions about other posters with no relevance to the thread to yourself please. Victor has admitted he is at fault, mainly as he is getting used to the forum functions and Rags has every right to question if her post had been altered.

Thanks

I disagree with the ALTERING of posts and DELETING them by management, that is despotism and takes away the right of free speech but NOT for management as they are deciding that which people can say and in some cases creating/posting their own interpretation upon things.

It was not deliberate but by accident.
So its not despotism

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:44 am

Sorry Morning by the way and that is to everyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:56 pm

Conservative MP Kit Malthouse has been told to resign his position as patron for the Andover MS Society.

The decision comes after the Tory MP voted in favour of cuts to ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) that will see MS sufferers amongst hundreds of thousands of disabled people to lose £30 a week in the WRAG (Work Related Activity group).

The Conservatives argue that stripping disabled people of financial security will incentivise them to find work quicker.

Donna Birch, Chair of the Andover MS society told Andover & Villages “Due to recent events we no longer feel that Kit Malthouse is a suitable patron, so we have asked him to step down from this role.”

A number of other Conservative MPs are coming under increasing pressure to resign their own positions as patrons for disability groups following the vote to cut disability benefits.

London mayoral candidate Zak Goldsmith is also currently engaged in a row with Richmond AID who have asked him to explain his decision to take money off some of the poorest and most vulnerable people in society.
Research by the Disability Benefits Consortium of more than 60 charities reports that 28% of people on the current WRAG rate have been unable to afford food, while 38 per cent have been unable to heat their homes.

Kit Malthouse was unavailable for comment.

http://evolvepolitics.com/tory-mp-told-resign-patron-ms-society-voting-30-esa-cuts/

There are many other Conservative MPs who voted for this disgusting bill who are supposed to working with disabled charities.  They are all coming under pressure to resign.  They are all total shits, making huge expense claims on top and their very large salaries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:06 am

This is about PIP, so I'll stick to that for the moment.

I have some questions about the procedure for claiming. Does the person fill in the form by themselves and then go and discuss it at an assessment?

The questions are very general, and the specific one we're discussing - the use of appliances or aids - is particularly so. For example, two people could tick the box to say that they need to use an appliance when washing, but one could mean that they need a long-handled sponge, and the other could mean that they need a sit-down shower cubicle - a big difference obviously. Are the specific appliances they feel they need discussed at the assessment or do they specify them on the form?

Furthermore, let's say two people say they need a sit-down shower cubicle, but one already has one, would that person still get the 2 points? If the other person doesn't have one, how would giving him/her £55 a week help? They need the appliance now, not after they've saved up for one. Is there not a system for people to apply for that kind of thing independently of PIP?

Last edited by Raggamuffin on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:31 am

Stormee wrote:
Didge wrote:

Good Morning

Thanks

I disagree with the ALTERING of posts and DELETING them by management, that is despotism and takes away the right of free speech but NOT for management as they are deciding that which people can say and in some cases creating/posting their own interpretation upon things.

Victor didn't do it on purpose Stormee. On the first page of this thread he went to reply to me, but he clicked his "edit" button instead of the "quote" button by mistake. He has the edit button on all posts because he's admin. On that occasion, he didn't use red text, so it looks like I said a lot of things which I didn't say. Laughing However, I pointed out the error to him, and he acknowledged it.

Then he did it again, and once again I pointed out the error, but this time he didn't acknowledge it, he denied he'd done it, and then Sassy "jumped in" and agreed that he hadn't done it. That was a bit bizarre because they only had to look at my original post to see what had happened. He did see it in the end, but not until after a lot of explaining on my part.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:55 pm

Bumped for Fluffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:56 pm

What was wrong with my very excellent questions then Sassy?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:01 pm

You trying to shit stir again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:02 pm

sassy wrote:You trying to shit stir again?

You did give me a red for that post didn't you?

Perhaps you could address the points I made in it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:11 pm

sassy wrote:Bumped for Fluffy

Thankyou Sassy.

I don't know where to start with this current government and there seemingly never ending lack of basic empathy. I find their attitude rather sinister and if stripped of their slick meaningless veneer their motivations really are coming from a dark place.

The legislation that is coming into place means disabled individuals will lose benefit even if claimants are incontinent and are unable to dress without assistance. This is due to the clever re arranging of "points" which when totalled show how much benefit a person is entitled to. The documentation has been re arranged so people will just "fall short" of how much is needed to receive the benefit money they so badly need.

The transparent disdain this government has for the disabled and more vulnerable in society is almost painful to witness but what annoys and saddens me more is that Tory voters don't seem to be in the least bit upset about the latest gruesome legislation.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/12/disability-benefit-cuts-could-see-500000-people-lose-150-a-week

As the link outlines above-

Ministers have signalled a new shake-up of disability benefits that could see entitlements cut by up to £150 a week for more than half a million people.

The cuts to funding for “aids and appliances” for the disabled could save about £1bn a year and was announced the week before the budget. Charities warned that the cuts to personal independence payments (PIP) would be devastating

Debbie Abrahams, the shadow disabilities minister, said: “Removing support for people who need help to use the toilet or dress is an attack on dignity.”

“These further cuts would represent another huge blow making life even more difficult for many people who already facing huge barriers.

Where is the outrage from the public that people will be treated in such a disgusting fashion? Crying or Very sad Cannot people see how truly outrageous this sort of behaviour is, attacking the most vulnerable in the most private and humiliating way.

It is simply not normal to treat your fellow man in such a way and there is something quite bizarre and sinister about a Government that deems this treatment to be in any way acceptable.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Disabled people must be awarded eight points to be paid standard PIP but the change means people will only earn one point if they have to use aids like a handrail or walking stick.

Does that mean that people do specify on the form which kind of appliance they use or think they need to use?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:This is about PIP, so I'll stick to that for the moment.

I have some questions about the procedure for claiming. Does the person fill in the form by themselves and then go and discuss it at an assessment?

The questions are very general, and the specific one we're discussing - the use of appliances or aids - is particularly so. For example, two people could tick the box to say that they need to use an appliance when washing, but one could mean that they need a long-handled sponge, and the other could mean that they need a sit-down shower cubicle - a big difference obviously. Are the specific appliances they feel they need discussed at the assessment or do they specify them on the form?

Furthermore, let's say two people say they need a sit-down shower cubicle, but one already has one, would that person still get the 2 points? If the other person doesn't have one, how would giving him/her £55 a week help? They need the appliance now, not after they've saved up for one. Is there not a system for people to apply for that kind of thing independently of PIP?

I think the nit picking nature of such questions is most demeaning to the claimant. Not you personally but the way the questions themselves and the specifics the Government seem to deem necessary.

If a person is disabled and unable to work because they can't wash themselves without assistance of appliances or indeed another person, if they are incontinent some days but not all, if they are unable to dress themselves possibly most days but may just manage it after an hour painfully struggling once a fortnight then this person cannot work. It really is that simple.

The nitpicking which ensures the person loses points and therefore is denied money is merely a heartless and rather transparent scheme to save money.

Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:25 pm

It's already been pointed out that some people were ticking the box if they need to sit on a bed to get dressed. The definition of "appliance" needs to be sorted out, and also the difference between appliances so they're not given equal weight.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:27 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:

I think the nit picking nature of such questions is most demeaning to the claimant. Not you personally but the way the questions themselves and the specifics the Government seem to deem necessary.

If a person is disabled and unable to work because they can't wash themselves without assistance of appliances or indeed another person, if they are incontinent some days but not all, if they are unable to dress themselves possibly most days but may just manage it after an hour painfully struggling once a fortnight then this person cannot work. It really is that simple.

The nitpicking which ensures the person loses points and therefore is denied money is merely a heartless and rather transparent scheme to save money.

Spot on!   The fact that they have now pushed through cutting £30 a week from the sick and disabled shows what a bunch of heartless wankers they are.   Not one of them wants for anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:

I don't think it's nit-picking though Fluffy. If someone needs an appliance in the form of a sit down shower, for example, that needs to be addressed rather differently to someone who needs a long-handled sponge.

This isn't to do with whether people can work or not - one can get PIP whether one works or not, and it's not means tested. I think people need to distinguish between PIP and ESA.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

I don't think it's nit-picking though Fluffy. If someone needs an appliance in the form of a sit down shower, for example, that needs to be addressed rather differently to someone who needs a long-handled sponge.

This isn't to do with whether people can work or not - one can get PIP whether one works or not, and it's not means tested. I think people need to distinguish between PIP and ESA.

I would agree if claimants weren't losing their benefit money as a result- but they are. It is a highly transparent way of saving money and taking it from those who are far less likely to complain, or indeed are not able to, about the abysmal way they are being treated.
The whole point of the " going into immense detail" means that the claimant loses money.That is the point of the exercise.

When all is said and done these are people in great pain, who are frail, who would love to be able to work but simply can't- and the differences of whether they are able to wash alone on a monday but not on a tuesday- it doesn't really matter. They just need money so they can live in some way that is worth living-not in comfort, they will never have that, but changing the nature of the questionnaire in such a dubious manner so that less points are awarded and more less money is given is a heartless and truly saddening way to treat people in this day and age.

Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Has anyone actually looked at the actual details of this?

“PIP is an essential benefit which goes towards the extra cost of being disabled.

If someone is getting 8 points by having appliances which were very cheap, or which they already had, or got for free anyway, they don't have extra costs.

This is the section for washing and bathing.

4. Washing and bathing.
a. Can wash and bathe unaided. 0 points.
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to wash or bathe. 2 points.
c. Needs supervision or prompting to be able to wash or bathe. 2 points.
d. Needs assistance to be able to wash either their hair or body below the waist. 2 points.
e. Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower. 3 points.
f. Needs assistance to be able to wash their body between the shoulders and waist. 4 points.
g. Cannot wash and bathe at all and needs another person to wash their entire body. 8 points.

This change only seems to affect b, not any of the others. If someone needs assistance from another person, they would tick d, e, f, or g. They would then get between 2 and 8 points for that section.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:50 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I would agree if claimants weren't losing their benefit money as a result- but they are. It is a highly transparent way of saving money and taking it from those who are far less likely to complain, or indeed are  not able to, about the abysmal way they are being treated.
The whole point of the " going into immense detail" means that the claimant loses money.That is the point of the exercise.

When all is said and done these are people in great pain, who are  frail, who would love to be able to work but simply can't- and the differences of whether they are able to wash alone on a monday but  not on a tuesday- it doesn't really matter. They just need money so they can live in some way that is worth living-not in comfort, they will never have that, but changing the nature of the questionnaire in such a dubious manner so that less points are awarded and more less money is given is a heartless and truly saddening way to treat people in this day and age.

As it says in the article, PIP goes towards the extra cost of being disabled.

Some people who get PIP do work, as I said.

It's also not a question of whether or not they can wash alone, it's a question of whether they need an appliance to be able to wash. If they need another person to help them, they tick a different box.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:20 pm

Tory rebels tell Osborne: disability benefit cuts just not acceptable
Government facing increasing opposition within its own party ranks to plans for cuts to personal independence payments

The government is facing a growing Tory rebellion against George Osborne’s plans to cut £4.4bn from benefits for disabled people over the course of the parliament.

Downing Street was forced to defend cuts to personal independence payments (PIP) for people who need aids to help them dress and use the toilet, as the leading rebel Andrew Percy accused the chancellor of hitting “exactly the wrong people”.

The MP for Brigg and Goole, who wrote to the chancellor last week to express concerns about the changes to PIP, told The World at One on BBC Radio 4: “The government has a very small majority. So you don’t need very many for this to be a problem of parliamentary arithmetic. But it is fair to say that the numbers on this who have expressed concern directly to ministers, to whips, to myself ... are very significant indeed.”

Johnny Mercer, the Tory MP for Plymouth Moor View, tweeted: “Concerned by proposed changes to PIP. Not sure right direction. We must look after our most vulnerable at every turn. No doubt welfare spend still too high, but for those who really need it, it is lifeline.”

The row erupted after the budget revealed that the chancellor’s biggest single revenue-raising measure over the next five years would be cutting PIP by £1.3bn. Disability rights groups said the changes would be a devastating blow to disabled people who relied on the benefit to help them live on their own.

Three Tory MPs have also been asked to step down as patrons of prominent disability charities on the back of supporting budget slashes to disability allowances.

Zac Goldsmith, the Tory London mayoral candidate, resigned on Wednesday as patron of his local disability charity after coming under pressure for voting for disability benefit cuts. He was criticised by Richmond AID, the west London disability charity, earlier this month when he supported cutting £30 a week from disabled people claiming Employment Support Allowance (ESA) – despite warnings from charities that the benefit barely covers basic living costs and would have a “severe and detrimental impact on the lives of disabled people”.

Kit Malthouse, the MP for North West Hampshire, was told to resign as patron of the MS Society, the national charity that campaigns on issues surrounding multiple sclerosis, and was no longer seen as “suitable” for the position after he voted in favour of cuts to ESA that would see people with MS among hundreds of thousands of disabled people to lose critical allowances.

James Cleverly, the MP for Braintree, was also told to resign as patron with “immediate effect” by Advocacy for All, a charity that works to help vulnerable people in the local area, who said they were “surprised and disappointed” to learn he had voted for £30 a week cuts to ESA benefits.

Responding to the budget announcements, the Disability Benefits Consortium (DBC), a national coalition of more than 60 charities, said: “These changes could have harmful consequences for the health and independence of the 640,000 affected disabled people, and significant cost implications for the NHS and local authority social care services as a result.”

The DBC reported how 28% of people on the current work-related activity group (Wrag) rate have been unable to afford food, while 38% have been unable to heat their homes.

A Labour analysis found the disability cuts would deny 200,000 claimants access to PIP worth almost £3,000 a year, with a further 400,000 seeing their entitlements reduced.

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, said that it was “morally reprehensible” to cut disability benefits while helping the rich with changes to capital gains tax and cutting corporation tax. McDonnell said about a “third of the cutbacks [Osborne] has been raising money from will fall on people with disabilities” by 2020-21.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/17/tory-rebels-osborne-disability-benefit-cuts-just-not-acceptable

It's nice to know that there are some Conservative MPs with a conscience.  Many charities are now taking action against MPs who are patrons of the charity but voted for the cuts and so I should bloody well think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:27 pm

It appears their game might have been rumbled:

The Government wants to cut help for disabled people to buy specially adapted equipment - Page 4 446b45a86d7077a0cc85ded4472500d9_biggerSam Coates Times Verified account @SamCoatesTimes

YouGov/Times Voting intention ** Labour ahead **
CON 33%,
LAB 34%,
LDEM 6%,
UKIP 16%

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4