NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The creeping death of the English language.

+4
Major
Raggamuffin
Eilzel
Andy
8 posters

Go down

The creeping death of the English language. Empty The creeping death of the English language.

Post by Andy Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:40 am

My pet HATE is the new use by many, many people, from lower class chavs to professionals, lawyers and even politicians of the word "So" as a prefix to virtually every sentence and statement they make. It is disarmingly discreet, it can go unoticed unless you are suddenly aware of it, and when it is used repeatedly, it is SOOOOO chuffing annoying.
Just as a test, folks need to stasrt listening more closely to radio and TV interviews just to see how prevalent it's use has become.

Last edited by Handy Andy on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

The creeping death of the English language. Empty Re: The creeping death of the English language.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:42 am

Handy Andy wrote:My pet HATE is the new use by many, many people, from lower class chavs to professionals, lawyers and even politicians of the word "So" as a prefix to virtually every sentence and statement they make. It is disarmingly discreet, it can go unoticed unless you are suddenly aware of it, and when it is used repeatedly, it is SOOOOO chuffing anmnoying.
Just as a test, folks need to stasrt listening more closely to radio and TV interviews just to see how prevalent it's use has become.

I think what is more alarming is your derogatory use to describe people as if inferior to you.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The creeping death of the English language. Empty Re: The creeping death of the English language.

Post by Major Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:56 am

There are lower classes, inferior people on this planet, even on forums. FACT

The English language has been 'bastardised' more than ever in the last 50ish years by so many, even on TV, fink and fought instead of think and thought, many more.

Major
Major
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 am

Stormee wrote:There are lower classes, inferior people on this planet, even on forums. FACT

The English language has been 'bastardised' more than ever in the last 50ish years by so many, even on TV, fink and fought instead of think and thought, many more.

No offense Stormee, but you are one of the most frequent abusers of the English language on this forum lol
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:26 am

Handy Andy wrote:My pet HATE is the new use by many, many people, from lower class chavs to professionals, lawyers and even politicians of the word "So" as a prefix to virtually every sentence and statement they make. It is disarmingly discreet, it can go unoticed unless you are suddenly aware of it, and when it is used repeatedly, it is SOOOOO chuffing anmnoying.

I do that sometimes. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 am

It's not so much the language which bothers me, it's trendy words and phrases. For example, I really dislike this thing about videos on the internet which have "gone viral". I also dislike the word "unacceptable" - it's so wet and weedy.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:35 am

So then, is "anmnoying" a new English word? Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:00 am

Raggamuffin wrote:It's not so much the language which bothers me, it's trendy words and phrases. For example, I really dislike this thing about videos on the internet which have "gone viral". I also dislike the word "unacceptable" - it's so wet and weedy.

Cannot stand the use of "24/7 " either.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:28 pm

I hate the "110" percent thing too!
Or "a million" percent!

FFS!!!!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Some of these sayings are really old. "Run it up the flagpole" is now considered a cliché. The phrase was associated with the advertising agencies then located on Madison Avenue in New York.

I think some sayings come with bad news, so we tend to dislike them. But, frankly, the fact that they keep arising shows the languages is actually alive.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Moving on. Smile
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:45 pm

And so it goes... Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Man, I hear so many cliches doing sports journalism. 110 percent -- all the time. That team just wanted it more. This player is just a good, solid kid (I gather he's not liquid, gas or plasma). We just have to play as a team (instead of inventing a different sport). We have to play within ourselves (as opposed to having an out-of-body experience).

I loved this football coach we used to cover, he'd come up with the most ridiculous, over the top phrases that it was a joy to quote him. My favorites: "He was just rolling over us like a ball of butcher knives." On a rainy, muddy game: "The ball was floating around out there like a greased pig." On a big rivalry game coming up: "We expect them to come screamin' out of the chute like a band of banshees."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:25 pm

He was cooler than the other side of the pillow... Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:He was cooler than the other side of the pillow...  Laughing

Kenneth the Page was good for quotes like that, on 30 Rock: "They'll have me out of here faster than a fella can come up with folksy similes!"
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:19 pm

I actually hate the new teen word "sick"

"That's sick!" Meaning it's brilliant

Thankfully my son doesn't say it or I think I'd have to tape his mouth shut.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Stormee wrote:It's 'unacceptable' to use disgusting foul language on forums.

I think 'unacceptable' is apt in this instance, Miss Ragga.
disgusting foul language ? or just plain good old fashioned foul language there is a difference

perhaps you find it disturbing because people with penchant for profanity have a higher IQ

And you just are not that smart

The creeping death of the English language. 3852033631

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:46 pm

with all due respect to my good friend Andy
the actual premise is incorrect

The creeping death of the English language.

Far from the English language dying it is in fact in great health

it`s a living breathing thing (yes i have anthropomorphous it )

you hear it breathing in the citys and towns ,in the accents and colloquialisms,
we have German ,French,Dutch,American ,words and sayings ect  all mixed in to what we considerer normal speech we even used "hip words"when we where kids

no the English language is not dead folks its just evolving

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down