NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn

+6
Original Quill
Tommy Monk
HoratioTarr
Victorismyhero
Ben Reilly
eddie
10 posters

Go down

This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Empty This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn

Post by Guest Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:40 am

English may not be the most spoken language in the world, but it is the most widely-studied language, making it a connecting language between countries, and even continents.
That doesn't mean it's any walk in the park...

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/d8ols-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-1.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn D8ols-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-1

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/vgyor-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-2.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Vgyor-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-2

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/rrw7l-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-3.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Rrw7l-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-3

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/r6dlg-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-4.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn R6dlg-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-4

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/mqdsi-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-5.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Mqdsi-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-5

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/qwjsw-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-6.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Qwjsw-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-6

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/0lpso-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-7.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 0lpso-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-7

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/fsi1s-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-8.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Fsi1s-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-8

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/k5ra1-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-9.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn K5ra1-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-9

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/n9q68-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-10.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn N9q68-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-10

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/5q3gz-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-11.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 5q3gz-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-11

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/fswst-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-12.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Fswst-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-12

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/7vsgg-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-13.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 7vsgg-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-13

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/pj94l-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-14.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Pj94l-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-14

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/77097-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-15.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 77097-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-15

image: http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/2017/02/8btir-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-16.jpg
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 8btir-hilarious-examples-of-english-language-beign-ridiculous-16

So, yeah, I'm glad I learned English as a child because this would be me right now:

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/2017/This-List-Of-Why-English-Is-The-Most-Difficult-Language-To-Learn-Had-Me-In-Tears-Laughing

Back to top Go down

This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Empty Re: This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn

Post by eddie Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Good thread didge! Rather shows how hard it is to learn. I'm really good friends with a Greek couple and the guy isn't as good at English as he'd like (he's pretty good in my view) and often, when I'm round their house I go through his English text books with him. It's actually quite a lot of fun but he always says "But why are you pronouncing it like this when it's written like that!" about any given word.
I can see that it's hard to learn and when I'm talking to him I often have to think of a word that sounds like Latin to make him understand the English context.

We were all talking about the full moon the other night and I said "it shines a light on things..." and he looked puzzled and I immediately thought "illuminate" that's a word he will know as a Greek guy. So I used that and he knew what I meant.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Empty Re: This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:56 pm

I am making many laughters so much when I reading.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I am making many laughters so much when I reading.

Is good, no?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:30 pm

"Because english beats up other languages in dark alleys, then rifles through their pockets for loose grammar and spare vocabulary"

This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:09 am

Wow Vic you're really getting into that bark juice now huh? Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:05 am

Lord Foul wrote:"Because english beats up other languages in dark alleys, then rifles through their pockets for loose grammar and spare vocabulary"

This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464 This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn 3489511464

That was one of my favorites.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm

The English language is beautiful.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:48 pm

I think it is, too. It has gone from the language of business, to the language of precision. English gets closer to expressing the inner self more perfectly than any other language.

French is great for it's poetic idioms and colloquialisms, and German for it's Hegalian idealism, but English gets in their and says it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Original Quill wrote:I think it is, too.  It has gone from the language of business, to the language of precision.  English gets closer to expressing the inner self more perfectly than any other language.

French is great for it's poetic idioms and colloquialisms, and German for it's Hegalian idealism, but English gets in their and says it.

Couldn't resist that, Quill. Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Lord Foul wrote:"Because english beats up other languages in dark alleys, then rifles through their pockets for loose grammar and spare vocabulary"

lol!

I saw that line in the op comments and was going to quote it in a post too!!!

Great comment... most amusing!

Welsh does that for spare consonants...!

And I've heard it said that Americans won't say what they mean with few words, when they can use too many words instead...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:15 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:I think it is, too.  It has gone from the language of business, to the language of precision.  English gets closer to expressing the inner self more perfectly than any other language.

Oh yes, I do that all the time.  I'm an extraordinarily fast, but not so precise typist.  There/Their/they're are one combination I mix up.  Also, it/its/it's...  There are others.  My brother is dyslexic, and sometimes I wonder, ya know?

Also, a lot of my mistakes are because I rephrase a bunch while I write, and forget to go back and correct the tense, or article, whatever leftover foops I have.

That's also the reason why so many of my posts have the little altered note at the bottom.  I can's stand to see a mistake and have to go back and fix it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:40 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:

Oh yes, I do that all the time.  I'm an extraordinarily fast, but not so precise typist.  There/Their/they're are one combination I mix up.  Also, it/its/it's...  There are others.  My brother is dyslexic, and sometimes I wonder, ya know?

Also, a lot of my mistakes are because I rephrase a bunch while I write, and forget to go back and correct the tense, or article, whatever leftover foops I have.

That's also the reason why so many of my posts have the little altered note at the bottom.  I can's stand to see a mistake and have to go back and fix it.

You never really make mistakes Quill, to be fair. I was only teasing you.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:00 am

I really do...but I catch 'em all the time. It's just my style to close my eyes and type as fast as I can to get my thoughts out before I forget. Lol.

Hopefully I proof read, but not always. Then when I go back...Oh damn! And I go fix it, even after others have posted after in the thread.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 am

All this is true, English is insanely tricky and this doesn't even mention the similar but different aspects for learners. But other languages have their obstacles too. In Thai 'khao' pronounced 'cow' can mean rice, door, holy or other things depending on how you say it. Likewise 'mai' can be new, white, question or no depending on tone. As such, after 3 years I'm still barely above a beginner in Thai lol
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:40 am

Tommy Monk wrote:And I've heard it said that Americans won't say what they mean with few words, when they can use too many words instead...

Eat shit! Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:41 am

Eilzel wrote:All this is true, English is insanely tricky and this doesn't even mention the similar but different aspects for learners. But other languages have their obstacles too. In Thai 'khao' pronounced 'cow' can mean rice, door, holy or other things depending on how you say it. Likewise 'mai' can be new, white, question or no depending on tone. As such, after 3 years I'm still barely above a beginner in Thai lol

Ah, the East Asian pitch/tone languages. I've wondered how people who are tone deaf manage with languages like that Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Smile          I'VE always imagined that some Chinese dialects, and certain African languages, would be harder to learn than English...    Especially some of those that have varying clicks and squeals, and various nuances with just slightly different pronuciation..

And how about those Eskimos/Innuit --  where they are reputed to have more than 60 different words for different types/locations of snow  !?!

Just because Tommy, DYKwit and Comrade NITrollsky are all having such difficulties with English as their second language, doesn't mean that it has to be that difficult for everyone.       tongue
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Eilzel wrote:All this is true, English is insanely tricky and this doesn't even mention the similar but different aspects for learners. But other languages have their obstacles too. In Thai 'khao' pronounced 'cow' can mean rice, door, holy or other things depending on how you say it. Likewise 'mai' can be new, white, question or no depending on tone. As such, after 3 years I'm still barely above a beginner in Thai lol

Ah, the East Asian pitch/tone languages. I've wondered how people who are tone deaf manage with languages like that Smile

Well, I've certainly noticed a LOT more people here seem to know and use sign language- maybe that's why though I hadn't thought of that till now.

PS: love the avatar lol Razz
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Whose quotation is in the title?

Sorry, only a qualified liguist who has studied the structure of several groups and subgroups of languages can comment in an objective, informed way. Everyone else is free to comment of course, but it will be a hopelessly subjective opinion.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Secondly do you mean spoken English or studying the structure of the written language? Cos the two things are completely different and a different set of skills are needed for each case.

Has the person ever tried learning  Dutch, Hungarian, Czech or Greek?  Or the Basque language which has nowt in common with any other known ones? Let alone studied languages outside the eurozone? They make studying English look like a walk in the park.  

lol!

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:31 pm

English is uniquely beautiful and simple and straightforward. It has  1) no confusing genders,  2) no declension of nouns 3) no conjugation of verbs and 4) none of those nasty squiggly little 'adornments'  you see in other alphabets - like eg Ô Š  ā å é è õ ø  ü ç  î ,  ( eww No  )

Of course it has a few confusing quirkisms. So what?  Other languages have more. A lot more.

The English Language rules. For ever!
This List Of Why English Is The Most Difficult Language To Learn Winner

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:47 pm

pffft

nederlands is een fluitje van een pis te leren.....

και έτσι είναι ελληνική

Rolling Eyes
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 pm

For some unknown reason your post sounds like a mixture of greek and double dutch, LF. Not sure why.  clown albino

(Btw I know full well that this was meant to be a light hearted thread but the thing is ... I could not resist speaking up against some of the many myths around learning languages.)

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:09 pm

https://youtu.be/7JE3XxtyMr0

Lee Mack - French restaurant trying to order some custard.

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:51 pm

How's this for a contradictory statement? In a 'Cocodile Dundee' film he's in a bar confronting the local gang leader, whom he asks: 'What did you do last night?' The gang leader says: 'We aint done nuffin.'

Think about it folks: If you haven't done 'nothing' you must have done something, right?
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:47 am

stardesk wrote:How's this for a contradictory statement? In a 'Cocodile Dundee' film he's in a bar confronting the local gang leader, whom he asks: 'What did you do last night?' The gang leader says: 'We aint done nuffin.'

Think about it folks: If you haven't done 'nothing' you must have done something, right?

It's the classic double negative. In some languages they treat that construction as additional emphasis on the negative, rather than a negation of the negative. It reads more like: "We [really, really] have done nuffin."

We're more familiar with the double negative here in the US because we have had so many linguistic groups pass through our gates.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down