NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Addiction Changes Brain Biology in 3 Stages, Experts Say

Go down

Addiction Changes Brain Biology in 3 Stages, Experts Say Empty Addiction Changes Brain Biology in 3 Stages, Experts Say

Post by Guest Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:51 am

Experts who research addiction have long argued that it is a disease of the brain. Now, in a new paper, they present a model of addiction, broken down into three key stages, to illustrate how the condition changes human neurobiology. Essentially, each of these three phases affects the brain in a unique way, according to the review of studies, published today (Jan. 27) in The New England Journal of Medicine. These brain changes, in turn, affect a person's behavior, altering both the way they react to stress and their ability to control certain actions, the authors propose.
Understanding what's going on in the brain of someone with an addiction is essential for medical professionals to better treat people with this disease, said Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the lead author of the new review. Currently, 20 million to 22 million people in the United States are addicted to alcohol or other drugs, according to the review.

http://www.livescience.com/53508-brain-disease-model-addiction.html

Back to top Go down

Addiction Changes Brain Biology in 3 Stages, Experts Say Empty Re: Addiction Changes Brain Biology in 3 Stages, Experts Say

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:05 am

Attempts to cure people of addictions will fail unless the psychological issues are addressed. Why do people take drugs or drink too much in the first place? Because they're bored or depressed probably, and if they try to stop they'll be bored and depressed again.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Addiction Changes Brain Biology in 3 Stages, Experts Say Empty Re: Addiction Changes Brain Biology in 3 Stages, Experts Say

Post by Guest Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:26 am

People do many things Rags.
Its where people allow something they think makes them happy, when in many cases it keeps them unhappy, but they believe they need this to feel better.
Like a medicine, accept the medicine is doing them more harm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:48 am

Didge wrote:People do many things Rags.
Its where people allow something they think makes them happy, when in many cases it keeps them unhappy, but they believe they need this to feel better.

But it does make them feel better - that's why they keep doing it in the first place. Unless they completely change their lifestyle and find a substitute to make them feel better, they'll keep doing it, regardless of whether or not they manage to deal with the physical addiction.

Have you seen the film, Christiane F?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:58 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:People do many things Rags.

But it does make them feel better - that's why they keep doing it in the first place. Unless they completely change their lifestyle and find a substitute to make them feel better, they'll keep doing it, regardless of whether or not they manage to deal with the physical addiction.

Not sure i agree with it making them happy, as they are not happy to start with. All I think it does is numb their unhappiness or block out the pain they feel emotionally. Any drug whether it be alcohol, Marijuana etc just enhances the mood you feel at that time. That is why unless for medical reasons to dull or numb the physical pain, any drugs should only be taken whilst in a good or happy mood, which then enhances that good feeling.

Not seen that film Rags.

Can you elaborate more?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:57 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Not sure i agree with it making them happy, as they are not happy to start with. All I think it does is numb their unhappiness or block out the pain they feel emotionally. Any drug whether it be alcohol, Marijuana etc just enhances the mood you feel at that time. That is why unless for medical reasons to dull or numb the physical pain, any drugs should only be taken whilst in a good or happy mood, which then enhances that good feeling.

Not seen that film Rags.

Can you elaborate more?

They might not be unhappy to start with, they might drink socially - rather a lot, or they might try a few drugs for a laugh. They then like the way it makes them feel - happy.

If they are unhappy to start with, and that's why they drink or take drugs in the first place, it will make them feel happier - you could call that feeling numb or whatever, but they'll prefer that to whatever they felt before.

Christiane F. is a film based on a true story. It's about a girl who gets hooked on heroin in Berlin in the 1970s for one reason or another. At one point, she and her boyfriend decide to go cold turkey because they don't like what the drug is doing to them, and it works - the physical addiction has been conquered. However, they then decide to take more heroin as a recreational thing - because they don't really have much else to do, because they're still associating with the same people, and because they still have the same issues, and it all starts again.

If you liked David Bowie, you'll probably like this film - it does feature his music a bit. In fact, I think you'd like it generally if you don't mind subtitles - even though I've told you some of the plot now. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:05 am

Interesting rags on the film, so will give that a go.
I love many foreign films, some that spring to mind are"The Brotherhood of War", "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas", "Pan's Labyrinth" and one of my favorites "The Lives of Others", which I would recommend to anyone.
As to emotions, I guess we will have to differ on this but have seen many have their feelings enhance, the more they take, where it will numb to a certain degree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:13 am

Didge wrote:Interesting rags on the film, so will give that a go.
I love many foreign films, some that spring to mind are"The Brotherhood of War", "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas", "Pan's Labyrinth" and one of my favorites "The Lives of Others", which I would recommend to anyone.
As to emotions, I guess we will have to differ on this but have seen many have their feelings enhance, the more they take, where it will numb to a certain degree.

Yes, I like foreign films too.

Christiane F. is rather bleak - both in its setting and the actual story, but it's very good.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down