NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One single trait reliably predicts whether American voters support Trump

2 posters

Go down

One single trait reliably predicts whether American voters support Trump Empty One single trait reliably predicts whether American voters support Trump

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 pm

If I asked you what most defines Donald Trump supporters, what would you say? They’re white? They’re poor? They’re uneducated?

You’d be wrong.

In fact, I’ve found a single statistically significant variable predicts whether a voter supports Trump—and it’s not race, income or education levels: It’s authoritarianism.

That’s right, Trump’s electoral strength—and his staying power—have been buoyed, above all, by Americans with authoritarian inclinations. And because of the prevalence of authoritarians in the American electorate, among Democrats as well as Republicans, it’s very possible that Trump’s fan base will continue to grow.

My finding is the result of a national poll I conducted in the last five days of December under the auspices of the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, sampling 1,800 registered voters across the country and the political spectrum. Running a standard statistical analysis, I found that education, income, gender, age, ideology and religiosity had no significant bearing on a Republican voter’s preferred candidate. Only two of the variables I looked at were statistically significant: authoritarianism, followed by fear of terrorism, though the former was far more significant than the latter.

Authoritarianism is not a new, untested concept in the American electorate. Since the rise of Nazi Germany, it has been one of the most widely studied ideas in social science. While its causes are still debated, the political behavior of authoritarians is not. Authoritarians obey. They rally to and follow strong leaders. And they respond aggressively to outsiders, especially when they feel threatened. From pledging to “make America great again” by building a wall on the border to promising to close mosques and ban Muslims from visiting the United States, Trump is playing directly to authoritarian inclinations.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533

Not shocking at all; Trump is the type I refer to as the "Daddy's Here" candidate. They paint a picture of a world in which voters are helpless to protect themselves against evil, but ... "Daddy's Here." Vote for Daddy and he'll protect you from the bad guys.

Sad that this can be so effective on grown adults!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

One single trait reliably predicts whether American voters support Trump Empty Re: One single trait reliably predicts whether American voters support Trump

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:55 pm

[size=32]AUTHORITARIANISM IS LEFTIST, NOT RIGHTIST[/size] 

By: John J. Ray 

The article below was originally written for publication in an academic journal called Political Psychology. The journal was planning a special issue on the topic of psychological authoritarianism and, since I have had more academic articles on that topic (including previous papers in Political Psychology) published than anybody else, it seemed fitting that I contribute an overview of the field. Judged by normal academic criteria (no. of articles on the topic published in academic journals), I am the world's no. 1 expert on the topic. Psychologists are overwhelmingly Leftist in their political leanings, however, so you may see why the paper was NOT accepted for publication in the journal concerned. No matter how good you are, if you express views that are overtly unsympathetic to the Left, these so-called scholars and scientists do not want to hear anything you have to say. 

A derivative of this article did however subsequently appear in a conservative intellectual journal: Ray, J.J. (2004) "Explaining the Left/Right divide". "Society", vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 70-78

Summary 

It is now clear that the authoritarian personality theory of Adorno et al. (1950) has not withstood empirical testing. It remains popular therefore only because of the agreeableness of its conclusions. An alternative theory is presented that attempts to integrate psychology with political history. Ideological Leftism is seen as a desire for constant change that is motivated in most instances by strong ego needs -- principally needs for attention, power and excitement. Leftists generally gain satisfaction of these needs by advocating equality of various sorts and by proposing that an ever-increasing government role in society is needed to ensure equality. This enthusiasm for imposing an ever-widening nimbus of government regulation on all human activity is quintessentially authoritarian. Conservatives, by contrast, are primarily motivated by a desire for individual liberty and a concomitant dislike of government activism so are quintessentially anti-authoritarian.

http://jonjayray.tripod.com/leftauth.html

Back to top Go down

One single trait reliably predicts whether American voters support Trump Empty Re: One single trait reliably predicts whether American voters support Trump

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Conservatives, by contrast, are primarily motivated by a desire for individual liberty and a concomitant dislike of government activism so are quintessentially anti-authoritarian

Which is why in the U.S., all attempts to ban gay marriage, enforce an official language, make Christianity the official religion, prevent marijuana legalization, prevent euthanasia legalization, censor the media, etc., etc., etc. have come from liberals, right?

Conservatives love to say they support individual liberty, but just look at what they actually do.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:08 pm

I am centre conservative and do not want to ban gay marriage ben and I actually am all for equality, and I certainly do not want religious control so where does that leave your view point?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Didge wrote:I am centre conservative and do not want to ban gay marriage ben and I actually am all for equality, and I certainly do not want religious control so where does that leave your view point?

You're one guy in the UK; I'm talking about millions of U.S. conservatives.

One single trait reliably predicts whether American voters support Trump -cjvnteesecgccs9mzqgza

I trust a poll like this way over some paper published on a Tripod user page Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:13 pm

So one in four democrats also were against gay marriage, which makes even more your argument to castigate a whole group poor do you not think?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:23 pm

Didge wrote:So one in four democrats also were against gay marriage, which makes even more your argument to castigate a whole group poor do you not think?

Two in three conservatives are against gay marriage -- the real problem is on their side.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:31 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:So one in four democrats also were against gay marriage, which makes even more your argument to castigate a whole group poor do you not think?

Two in three conservatives are against gay marriage -- the real problem is on their side.

Seriously, the problem is on both sides, because a within each a sizable amount are against

Do you not even see that?

Yes more democrats are for, but not all of them, which is very problematic

You make a very poor defense case

Again The US Conservatives in Republicans are more like UKIP over here

Back to top Go down

Post by Independent Thoughts Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:31 pm

I think Didge's link is not only more succinct in it's explanation, but is also A LOT more true and real-life.

Look at the “political correctness” of the Left. They try to cram it down your throat. Assimilate and conform to their way of thinking, or deal with our pithy temper tantrums. What do we see here? Authoritarian personalities.

Hell, we don’t have to look past this site to see examples of this. When I criticize Obama, the inevitable: “Aw, man, not cool. You must be a conservative/Republican cuz you hurt our liberal feelings. Waaaahhhh!!!” Yep, another example of Authoritarian personalities. You politically disagree with me, so therefore I must shun/shame/embarrass/lie about/become hostile towards/hate you until you change your way of thinking.

I see this crap happen on both sides of the political fence, but see it FAAAAARRRRR more from the lefties/liberals. They love nothing more than to cram their idiot-ology (errr, I meant "ideology") down others' throats, and get all butt hurt when others call them out for lame and pitiful stances.

Independent Thoughts
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Independent Thoughts Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:38 pm

On gay marriage....
Before the left re-branded Obama as the savior of gay rights, he was against gay marriage.

Oh, how people's memories are short lived:
Listen to Obama tell us what he really thinks about gay marriage, here.

Independent Thoughts
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:54 pm

Well if he did change his mind, then all the better. 

I cannot falter someone who sees sense on an issue Independent

Back to top Go down

Post by Independent Thoughts Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:16 pm

I agree with you, Didge.  As an Independent, I see myself aligned with the Democrats on social issues (sans their false sense of entitlement to other people's  money), and more aligned with Republicans on economic and defense issues.

I also agree that Obama changing his stance was a good one, but I firmly believe that his change was the result of political pressure, not from a sincere personal revelation or epiphany; it was born from political necessity, rather than personal growth and evolution.

Last edited by IndependentThoughts on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Independent Thoughts
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:22 pm

IndependentThoughts wrote:I think Didge's link is not only more succinct in it's explanation, but is also A LOT more true and real-life.

Look at the “political correctness” of the Left.  They try to cram it down your throat.  Assimilate and conform to their way of thinking, or deal with our pithy temper tantrums.  What do we see here?  Authoritarian personalities.

Hell, we don’t have to look past this site to see examples of this.  When I criticize Obama, the inevitable: “Aw, man, not cool.  You must be a conservative/Republican cuz you hurt our liberal feelings. Waaaahhhh!!!”  Yep, another example of Authoritarian personalities.  You politically disagree with me, so therefore I must shun/shame/embarrass/lie about/become hostile towards/hate you until you change your way of thinking.

I see this crap happen on both sides of the political fence, but see it FAAAAARRRRR more from the lefties/liberals.  They love nothing more than to cram their idiot-ology (errr, I meant "ideology") down others' throats, and get all butt hurt when others call them out for lame and pitiful stances.

You're the one complaining about people exercising their right to expression. Nobody's shutting down what you say. They're just saying what they think about what you say. As far as shun/shame/embarrass/etc., what are you doing here when you talk about "idiot-ology"? Being nice and non-partisan? Laughing

Oh, and shoving ideology down people's throats? How about shoving it up their vaginas?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkroll/2013/07/07/state-mandated-transvaginal-ultrasounds-where-are-the-medical-societies/#678ce3026c74

Republicans believe in big government for the little guy and small government for the big guy. Democrats want the government out of your bedroom and in corporate boardrooms.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 pm

IndependentThoughts wrote:I agree with you, Didge.  As an Independent, I see myself aligned with the Democrats on social issues (sans their false sense of entitlement to other people's  money), and more aligned with Republicans on economic and defense issues.

I also agree that Obama changing his stance was a good one, but I firmly believe that his change was the result of political pressure, not from a sincere personal revelation or epiphany; it was born from political necessity, rather than personal growth and evolution.

I think it was his opinion all along but that it wasn't politically feasible to say it in 2007.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 pm

I share your views Independent on social issues and Tory on economic issues. What is clear to me, is you have been wrongly castigated and labelled as well for being in disagreement it seems also to then be cast as a Republican. Sadly some people only see things in black and white and cannot expand beyond this tunnel vision.

Lets face it though many PM's and Presidents have bowed to political pressure where the most important aspect I am sure you will agree is that change did happen. If I am being honest I do not have an issue with Obama on in the US but his foreign policy which I think has been suicidal.

I also think its time the US had a change with an Independent President.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:25 pm

Didge wrote:I share your views Independent on social issues and Tory on economic issues. What is clear to me, is you have been wrongly castigated and labelled as well for being in disagreement it seems also to then be cast as a Republican. Sadly some people only see things in black and white and cannot expand beyond this tunnel vision.

Lets face it though many PM's have bowed to political pressure where the most important aspect I am sure you will agree is that change did happen. If I am being honest I do not have an issue with Obama on in the US but his foreign policy which I think has been suicidal.

Never gonna happen. In order to get elected you need the massive machinery that a political party has to reach voters and the media, and no independent is going to be able to construct something like that in the short time that would be required.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:27 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:I share your views Independent on social issues and Tory on economic issues. What is clear to me, is you have been wrongly castigated and labelled as well for being in disagreement it seems also to then be cast as a Republican. Sadly some people only see things in black and white and cannot expand beyond this tunnel vision.

Lets face it though many PM's have bowed to political pressure where the most important aspect I am sure you will agree is that change did happen. If I am being honest I do not have an issue with Obama on in the US but his foreign policy which I think has been suicidal.

Never gonna happen. In order to get elected you need the massive machinery that a political party has to reach voters and the media, and no independent is going to be able to construct something like that in the short time that would be required.

They said the end of slaver trade would never happen and it did end.

They said the end of Apartheid in South Africa would never happened and it did

Its always a big mistake to say its never  gonna happen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 pm

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

They said the end of slavery would never happen and it did end.

They said the end of Apartheid in South Africa would never happened and it did

Its always a big mistake to say its never  gonna happen

Maybe I should have said it will never happen in the U.S. current political reality. Look at Trump, for example. If he ran as an independent, he'd probably do better than any other independent presidential candidate in recent U.S. history.

But all he'd do is divide the conservative vote, because even if he's not part of a party, he still has an ideology than can be Venn diagrammed into "More Republican" than it can be to "More Democratic." After all, you don't hear Sanders or Clinton talking about building a wall to keep out Mexican rapists, or starting a federal database of people's religious beliefs.

So he gets a whopping 25 percent of the vote, but most of that comes from the GOP candidate (let's call him Ted Cruz), so even if Cruz gets 33 percent of the vote, he still gets smashed by Hillary Clinton despite her getting just 42 percent of the vote.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:34 pm

Or be better to say highly unlikely in this present election, but then again funnier things have happened. I hope neither Trump, Cruz and Clinton get in as it would be a disaster for the US if they did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:36 pm

Didge wrote:Or be better to say highly unlikely in this present election, but then again funnier things have happened. I hope neither Trump, Cruz and Clinton get in as it would be a disaster for the US if they did.

I, on the other hand, think this is Clinton vs. Trump, with Clinton winning by at least five percentage points. I've actually thought about setting up a bet here about this Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:40 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:Or be better to say highly unlikely in this present election, but then again funnier things have happened. I hope neither Trump, Cruz and Clinton get in as it would be a disaster for the US if they did.

I, on the other hand, think this is Clinton vs. Trump, with Clinton winning by at least five percentage points. I've actually thought about setting up a bet here about this Smile

lol well I am not going to bet on either, so you would have to add in some others for people to chose

I also think you have judged Independent poorly, well that is my opinion on that matter

Anyway time to leave you so wish you both a enjoyable day, whilst I leave for the night

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:46 pm

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

lol well I am not going to bet on either, so you would have to add in some others for people to chose

I also think you have judged Independent poorly, well that is my opinion on that matter

Anyway time to leave you so wish you both a enjoyable day, whilst I leave for the night

Laughing

Thanks, you too. I would imagine, however, that I have a little more experience talking to Republicans than you do, and they say pretty much the same things IT says -- and cite the same sources online.

One way you can tell someone's faking in their independence is when they put things the way IT puts them. This isn't a direct quote, but stuff like: "Obama is showing no leadership and making America less safe. The Republicans are stupid, too."

Specificity when it comes to Democrats; a throw-away criticism of Republicans. That's the mark of someone who is far less well-versed in the shortcomings of one party than in the criticisms of the other.

Another thing -- thread IT has started are pretty much all anti-Democrat. I'd be surprised to see one that he/she has started that bashes Republicans.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Will answer before I go

Ben you do realise an Independent is going to be both anti Democrat and Republican dependent on the issue at hand, where if economic then Independents views aqre going to be more in line with the Republicans, but on social in line with democrats, hence your reason to cast is again poor. So its nothing to do with how many Republicans you have dealt with because Independent is neither Republican or Democrat. Like me I am more Tory on economic issues and more liberal left on social issues.
Hence why I really think you are being unfair here

All the best

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down