NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heterosexual couple argue they are being discriminated against in civil partnership ban row

5 posters

Go down

Heterosexual couple argue they are being discriminated against in civil partnership ban row Empty Heterosexual couple argue they are being discriminated against in civil partnership ban row

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:13 pm

A heterosexual couple who want to enter into a civil partnership rather than marry have urged a judge to rule that they are being discriminated against. Rebecca Steinfeld and Charles Keidan, who are both academics and live in Hammersmith, west London, argue that the Government's position on civil partnerships is "incompatible with equality law". Dr Steinfeld, 34, and Mr Keidan, 39, who have been in a committed relationship since November 2010 and have an eight-month-old baby, want to secure legal recognition of that relationship through a civil partnership.
But the Civil Partnership Act 2004 stipulates that only same-sex couples are eligible. Their QC Karon Monaghan told Mrs Justice Andrews at a hearing in London on Tuesday: "The claimants submit that the prohibition on access to a civil partnership by opposite-sex couples is directly discriminatory on grounds of sexual orientation since same-sex couples may enter into a civil partnership or a marriage, but opposite-sex couples may only enter into a marriage."

She said the case raised "important matters" for "many couples".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/12109196/Heterosexual-couple-argue-they-are-being-discriminated-against-in-civil-partnership-ban-row.html

Back to top Go down

Heterosexual couple argue they are being discriminated against in civil partnership ban row Empty Re: Heterosexual couple argue they are being discriminated against in civil partnership ban row

Post by eddie Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Oh FFS! Just get married already!
Why don't they want to marry then? That's the question.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Heterosexual couple argue they are being discriminated against in civil partnership ban row Empty Re: Heterosexual couple argue they are being discriminated against in civil partnership ban row

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Unless they do away with civil partnerships, then heterosexuals should have the right to a civil partnership as well, as that is equality.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Didge wrote:Unless they do away with civil partnerships, then heterosexuals should have the right to a civil partnership as well, as that is equality.

I agree with you in principle as you're right, of course, but aren't they just being bloody awkward??
Why can't they just get married?!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:30 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:Unless they do away with civil partnerships, then heterosexuals should have the right to a civil partnership as well, as that is equality.

I agree with you in principle as you're right, of course, but aren't they just being bloody awkward??

Very possible this is being played out in some way to be obtuse in some way because of homosexuals being allowed to marry.
That is why they should either do away with civil partnerships, which will effect non-Brits in these relationships, or they amend the law to bring equality to stop this being used as a carrot to get at homosexuality rights

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Stormee wrote:

They can get married like decent people do.

So you are saying couples who are unmarried are not decent then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:23 pm

They are being discriminated against, so why shouldn't they complain? Other people complain if they're discriminated against.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:They are being discriminated against, so why shouldn't they complain? Other people complain if they're discriminated against.

Which is why I said it should be made law, to bring equality

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:23 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:They are being discriminated against, so why shouldn't they complain? Other people complain if they're discriminated against.

Which is why I said it should be made law, to bring equality

Does it strike anybody else that it sounds like the exclusion of heterosexual couples was an accident? This was before gay marriage was legal, right? So the law might have been passed as some sort of compromise measure, i.e.:

"We don't deem you gays quite equal to us yet, so you don't enjoy the right we have to get married, but we'll throw you a bone and let you call your commitments anything but marriages."

And then gay marriage was passed and everyone forgot about the civil partnerships law, thinking the main struggle was won?

As for why they'd want a civil partnership rather than a marriage, who knows -- maybe they, like many people, find the institution of marriage patriarchal.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:26 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:

Very possible this is being played out in some way to be obtuse in some way because of homosexuals being allowed to marry.
That is why they should either do away with civil partnerships, which will effect non-Brits in these relationships, or they amend the law to bring equality to stop this being used as a carrot to get at homosexuality rights

I guess ben did not read this post????

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Didge wrote:
Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:

I did read it, I just wanted to post my own theory. I'm sorry I didn't ask your permission first, sir.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:48 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

I did read it, I just wanted to post my own theory. I'm sorry I didn't ask your permission first, sir.

It shows you did not read my views did you?

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:36 pm

eddie wrote:Oh FFS! Just get married already!
Why don't they want to marry then? That's the question.

I am just going to point out HOW Discimnatory the UK is Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Lol even in SA anyone is allowed a civil union Heterosexual couple argue they are being discriminated against in civil partnership ban row 4214183177
mind you most don't bother since if you live together for 6 months you are defacto couple (same legal status) anyway
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down