NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do the Math- Why some people are jerks and yet others are nice to strangers

5 posters

Go down

Do the Math- Why some people are jerks and yet others are nice to strangers Empty Do the Math- Why some people are jerks and yet others are nice to strangers

Post by Guest Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:10 pm

The model developed by Yale's Adam Bear and David Rand incorporates ideas from the evolutionary game theory of cooperation and the behavioral economics of intuition and deliberation. Participants play games where they can be either helpful or selfish, and make choices using rules of thumb or careful reasoning. Some games have no chance of a future payoff for being nice; other games allow for the possibility of reciprocation.

This is what the model predicts will happen: People who come from a supportive and friendly environment learn intuitively to cooperate—even with strangers where there is no potential payoff—because they have often benefited from such generous behavior. However, if they take time to deliberate, they overrule their cooperative instinct if they realize there is no possibility of future payoff.

People who are typically surrounded by jerks, on the other hand, learn intuitively to be selfish—and also learn not to deliberate. So, the model shows, they wind up acting selfishly even when cooperating would actually pay off, because they don't stop to think.

Explore further: Game theory analysis shows how evolution favors cooperation's collapse

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-01-mathwhy-people-jerks-nice-strangers.html#jCp

Back to top Go down

Do the Math- Why some people are jerks and yet others are nice to strangers Empty Re: Do the Math- Why some people are jerks and yet others are nice to strangers

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:28 pm

Very interesting! So the people always railing against benefits grew up surrounded by jerks -- I think I somehow already knew that Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Do the Math- Why some people are jerks and yet others are nice to strangers Empty Re: Do the Math- Why some people are jerks and yet others are nice to strangers

Post by eddie Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:20 pm

God these studies are done over and over and just tell us what we already know!
Happy people normally come from loving situations and vice fucking versa Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:28 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Very interesting! So the people always railing against benefits grew up surrounded by jerks -- I think I somehow already knew that Smile

Yep and guess what that says about us and those that rail against other nations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:31 pm

sassy wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Very interesting! So the people always railing against benefits grew up surrounded by jerks -- I think I somehow already knew that Smile

Yep and guess what that says about us and those that rail against other nations.

You mean why does Hamas never build bomb shelters for the defense of its people, places peoplke as shields for their weaponary, tells people to stay after being warned of targets, which israel complies with the rules of engagement.
And even worse dismisses a peace deal in the first week, because fundementally Hamas did not have enough cannon fodder killed to gain public sympathy
Yeah hamas broke so many rules and committed war crimes, but hey, this study sums this up fundementally about you

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Well you were clearly surrounded by jerks.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

So why did I turn out so sweet? Do the Math- Why some people are jerks and yet others are nice to strangers 1069003512
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:41 pm

I think it's pretty selfish of Sassy to have those huge signatures - I guess she must be surrounded by jerks.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:09 pm

sassy wrote:

What does it say? It says people are happy with they way things were because they worked and now they feel things aren't working so they're unhappy?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So why did I turn out so sweet? Do the Math- Why some people are jerks and yet others are nice to strangers 1069003512

I personally think it might be your choice of lippy, but it could be the rouge on your cheeks?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Stormee wrote:I believe in benefits for OUR OWN but NOT OUTSIDERS, work that out.

Easy You're a ---- Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down