NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christine Lagarde to stand trial over Tapie corruption affair

3 posters

Go down

Christine Lagarde to stand trial over Tapie corruption affair Empty Christine Lagarde to stand trial over Tapie corruption affair

Post by Irn Bru Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:17 pm

A French court has ordered Christine Lagarde, the head of the International Monetary Fund, to face trial over her role in a disputed €400m payout made to businessman Bernard Tapie in 2008.

Ms Lagarde, who was French finance minister at the time, has for years denied wrongdoing in the affair that has entangled several members of the cabinet of former President Nicolas Sarkozy.

She appeared to have won the day in September when prosecutors argued that the case against her should be dropped.

But France’s Cour de justice de la République, a special tribunal set up to try ministers, said on Thursday that she would stand trial over the affair. Ms Lagarde is accused of negligence in public office in relation to misuse of public funds, an offence that carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison and a fine of up to €15,000.

The decision to put the IMF chief on trial is the latest twist in the 22-year legal saga.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7d9b9140-a4d9-11e5-a91e-162b86790c58.html#axzz3ucBY8geZ

She was nominated for the post by George Osborne so she may well have some skeletons in her cupboard.

She derves a fair trial though so we'll see how it goes.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Christine Lagarde to stand trial over Tapie corruption affair Empty Re: Christine Lagarde to stand trial over Tapie corruption affair

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Good and long overdue...

Definitely plenty of dodgy goings on going on back then in 2008... at the height of the labour govts here who were hand in hand with the French govts at the time...

Funny enough at the same time when billions and billions of our money was disappearing too...

No connection of course... so people say... some people that is...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Christine Lagarde to stand trial over Tapie corruption affair Empty Re: Christine Lagarde to stand trial over Tapie corruption affair

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:23 am

Negligence in public office in relation to misuse of public funds eh? I know of someone else who should be investigated for that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:25 am

Once again, I can't get that link to work. Laughing I'll find the story elsewhere.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:28 am

Just tried it, worked for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:32 am

sassy wrote:Just tried it, worked for me.

For me, it links to the main page, and when I try to click on the actual story it defaults back to the main page.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:34 am

Worked it out, it's because it's the FT, and you have to have a subscription to see it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:40 am

sassy wrote:Worked it out, it's because it's the FT, and you have to have a subscription to see it.

Aha. Yes, there is a pop up thingy as well asking me to sign in.

It doesn't matter - I can find the story elsewhere. It's not one I'm familiar with so far.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down