NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK govt could track every website Britons visit under proposed law

3 posters

Go down

UK govt could track every website Britons visit under proposed law Empty UK govt could track every website Britons visit under proposed law

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Internet service providers will have to store the details of every website people visited for 12 months if the new draft Investigatory Powers Bill is passed, the government has confirmed.

The measure was announced by Home Secretary Theresa May in the House of Commons and is included in a raft of new powers intended to reform the way MI5, MI6, GCHQ, and others use surveillance powers.

May said that "communication records up to 12 months" will have to be stored by internet and communications service providers.

This means the individual webpage -- "just the front page of the websites," in May's words -- will be kept. She distinguished between domains visited and "content" -- including individual pages, searches and other information -- which will not be stored.

In a lengthy statement to parliament, May reiterated that the powers were intended to allow security services to protect the public, and particularly children, against threats including terrorism, organised crime and sexual predators.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-11/04/surveillance-bill-government-internet-history

What a huge intrusion into the privacy of British people! I hope you fight it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

UK govt could track every website Britons visit under proposed law Empty Re: UK govt could track every website Britons visit under proposed law

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Internet service providers will have to store the details of every website people visited for 12 months if the new draft Investigatory Powers Bill is passed, the government has confirmed.

The measure was announced by Home Secretary Theresa May in the House of Commons and is included in a raft of new powers intended to reform the way MI5, MI6, GCHQ, and others use surveillance powers.

May said that "communication records up to 12 months" will have to be stored by internet and communications service providers.

This means the individual webpage -- "just the front page of the websites," in May's words -- will be kept. She distinguished between domains visited and "content" -- including individual pages, searches and other information -- which will not be stored.

In a lengthy statement to parliament, May reiterated that the powers were intended to allow security services to protect the public, and particularly children, against threats including terrorism, organised crime and sexual predators.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-11/04/surveillance-bill-government-internet-history

What a huge intrusion into the privacy of British people! I hope you fight it.

The heart says "yes"....the head says "no" Ben. It goes against all my natural inclinations, but as someone who, over the next few days, could face the prospect of being a "target" my mind is being concentrated wonderfully.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

UK govt could track every website Britons visit under proposed law Empty Re: UK govt could track every website Britons visit under proposed law

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:The heart says "yes"....the head says "no" Ben. It goes against all my natural inclinations, but as someone who, over the next few days, could face the prospect of being a "target" my mind is being concentrated wonderfully.

I don't understand -- are you for or against? Why are you going to be targeted in the next few days?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:56 pm

I think it's wrong Ben. Heard it on the radio today
It's a total invasion of privacy for one thing!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Absolutely not on, will fight it every inch of the way.   It's like someone having the right to open your letter and go through your drawers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:01 pm

It reminds me a lot of the USA PATRIOT Act.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:04 pm

Yep, quite a lot like it.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:05 pm

sassy wrote:Absolutely not on, will fight it every inch of the way.   It's like someone having the right to open your letter and go through your drawers.

Or your knicker drawers lol!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:06 pm

eddie wrote:
sassy wrote:Absolutely not on, will fight it every inch of the way.   It's like someone having the right to open your letter and go through your drawers.

affraid lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:11 pm

None of my recent posts have appeared. Obviously some problem. Will try later.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:None of my recent posts have appeared. Obviously some problem. Will try later.

I had that problem yesterday, then the comment I was trying to post showed up about six times or so Smile I think the host is doing maintenance.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:None of my recent posts have appeared. Obviously some problem. Will try later.

Noticed that Fred, talk to you later then.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Yes it's site maintenance.
It's happening on every forumotion site.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:41 pm

eddie wrote:

I explicitly deny any knowledge whatsoever of either your knicker drawers or Sassy's knicker drawers.......
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
eddie wrote:

I explicitly deny any knowledge whatsoever of either your knicker drawers or Sassy's knicker drawers.......

Suspect
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down