NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ Empty Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:33 pm

A Florida elementary school is taking heat for a “Lifeboat quiz” given to kids asking them who should live or die by forcing them to choose between “a black guy” or a “Hispanic woman,”  among others, reports Global News. According to Valerie Kennel, her 11-year-old daughter Leah was given the quiz and asked who should live in hypothetical sea disaster where a lifeboat only has nine seats but there is a diverse cast of 15 people wanting to board.

Among the choices students found “a black guy,” “a white guy,” a Hispanic woman” and “a rabbi.”
Along with “a police officer,” and “a pregnant woman,” sixth-graders must also decide if they want to save President Obama or businessman Donald Trump. “It’s racist in every form,” Kennel explained. “It has nothing to do with history. It has nothing to do with it, and what is it teaching them? Who do you pick? Why is one person better than the other? Why does someone get left out?”

According to the mom and her daughter, the test given at Giunta Middle School disturbed some of the students who refused to complete it. “I got kind of upset about it and everyone else in the classroom was like ‘this is racist, this is racist,'” Leah recalled, noting that one student was reprimanded for protesting the test. According to a statement from the Hillsborough County School District, the quiz was designed to promote team-building and cooperation, and is not intended to be racist. “This school has a culturally diverse population,” the statement reads. “The test brought up good debates on how to work together, building relationships.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/florida-school-slammed-for-lifeboat-quiz-asking-kids-if-they-would-save-a-black-guy-or-a-hispanic-woman/

Back to top Go down

Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ Empty Re: Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Hee hee...who would you save didge???

dont tell me you would save em all and sink the boat thereby drowning everyone in the name of equality Razz Razz Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 3489511464

Back to top Go down

Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ Empty Re: Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:42 pm

personally I'd probably agree with the list shown in the picture in the link...with ONE change

I'd take the ex con rather than Obama Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:47 pm

victorismyhero wrote:Hee hee...who would you save didge???

dont tell me you would save em all and sink the boat thereby drowning everyone in the name of equality Razz Razz Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 3489511464

Well we have had this before where smelly devised a racist version.
Where two men were hanging off a cliff and you only had time to save one. One white one black.
As I pointed out its a hindsight question, because in smellys test you would not know you could only save one and would attempt to save both. The same in this situation, as their ethnicity or race should not even come into it.

So you would save women and children first, then next those with skills or at least abilities that can help those whilst adrift. So I would then draw lots for those left to decide who will stay and those left to their own devices in the sea.

You see these hypoethtical situation barely offer an semblance of a reality people are going to face and if they do they are not going to have information to hand, provided in these tests or have time in smell's one to decide who you will save.
In smells one I would leave it to chance, flip a coin, let fate decide. Then in both scenarios chance has decided the outcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:06 pm

I agree with you didge, I'd save women and children first regardless of race or creed etc.

But.

That is the object of a hypothetical question that people cannot seem to grasp! You only have what is laid out in the question - as in the case of smelly's question that time.
Of course, people react differently in any given situation, but that's not what is being asked.

Regarding the story in the OP, perhaps they were merely finding out how children thought or what they have been influenced by?
There's nothing wrong with asking children to take a moral quiz.
It's teaching life skills.

Now my son is nearly fifteen (and wishing to go into law) I'll often ask him moral dilemmas.
I don't judge his answers and I don't correct his decisions; I may counter-argue with him (if I disagree with him or just to play devils advocate).
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:20 pm

i have never read so much bollux in my life

As probably the only one that has ever been in a life boat and took sea survival courses let me tell you it does`nt work like that, you don`t pick and choose who you will save its not bloody Hollywood
and in a real emergency/survival situation the last thing you are thinking about is any of the examples presented it may be a hypothetical question as correctly pointed out but it speaks more to the person than the actual situation and i commend the ones that refused to make a choice

ps

and i would also poit out that unless you know what to do in a life boat your chances of survival are not that much better as they are certain things that need to be done when you get in one ......or you will die anyway "depending on the emergency and sea area your in

the first thing you should do ...........is ? .....yes its a quiz

Last edited by korban dallas on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:23 pm

korban dallas wrote:i have never read so much bollux in my life

As probably the only one that has ever been in a life boat and took sea survival courses let me tell you it does`nt work like that, you don`t pick and choose who you will save its not bloody Hollywood
and in a real emergency/survival situation the last thing you are thinking about is any of the examples presented it may be a hypothetical question as correctly pointed out but it speaks more to the person than the actual situation and i commend the ones that refused to make a choice

thats true KD, but I would none the less be terribly tempted to chuck the minister (and probably the rabbi) back after a few days of "prayer meetings" affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Hallo KD long time no see!

Sorry, but it really seems to me that people on this forum just can't seem to grasp that hypothetical questions are set like this to make the reader think.

We were asked in school once; if ther were only five people in a hot air balloon and they had to save the earth, but ballon can now only carry one, which four would you throw overboard out of these professionals:

A baker, a carpenter, a bus driver, a doctor or a policeman?

We all know that we shouldn't and wouldn't throw anyone overboard but it's a HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION.
You have to choose, that's the fun of it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:26 pm

victorismyhero wrote:
korban dallas wrote:i have never read so much bollux in my life

thats true KD, but I would none the less be terribly tempted to chuck the minister (and probably the rabbi) back after a few days of "prayer meetings" affraid

i know mate
been there done that

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:28 pm

eddie wrote:Hallo KD long time no see!

Sorry, but it really seems to me that people on this forum just can't seem to grasp that hypothetical questions are set like this to make the reader think.

We were asked in school once; if ther were only five people in a hot air balloon and they had to save the earth, but ballon can now only carry one, which four would you throw overboard out of these professionals:

We all know that we shouldn't and wouldn't throw anyone overboard but it's a HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION.

By the way, I chose to save the doctor but some really thick people chose the baker!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:29 pm

sorry i dont find arbitrarily deciding who`s life is worth more .....fun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:31 pm

so anybody standard inflatable life boat

what are the first 3 things you need to do ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:33 pm

eddie wrote:

By the way, I chose to save the doctor but some really thick people chose the baker!
how do you know there a doctor pop quiz before you save them ?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Erm I don't think you're getting the hang of hypothetical questions KD. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:39 pm

eddie wrote:Erm I don't think you're getting the hang of hypothetical questions KD. Rolling Eyes
hypothetically you may be right but as i said been there done that and and the premise speaks more to the persons character than the actual situation as i said

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:50 pm

Ps thanks
i haven`t been away just fed up arguing with religious fundamentalists and racist so i don`t comment Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:51 pm

korban dallas wrote:

Ps thanks
i haven`t been away just fed up arguing with religious fundamentalists and racist so i don`t comment Wink

Well it's good to see you posting again, hope all is well Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ Hug12 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:55 pm

feelthelove wrote:
korban dallas wrote:
Ps thanks

Well it's good to see you posting again, hope all is well Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ Hug12 x
Thanks FTL yes all is great thanks Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:06 pm

eddie wrote:I agree with you didge, I'd save women and children first regardless of race or creed etc.

But.

That is the object of a hypothetical question that people cannot seem to grasp! You only have what is laid out in the question - as in the case of smelly's question that time.
Of course, people react differently in any given situation, but that's not what is being asked.

Regarding the story in the OP, perhaps they were merely finding out how children thought or what they have been influenced by?
There's nothing wrong with asking children to take a moral quiz.
It's teaching life skills.

Now my son is nearly fifteen (and wishing to go into law) I'll often ask him moral dilemmas.
I don't judge his answers and I don't correct his decisions; I may counter-argue with him (if I disagree with him or just to play devils advocate).

1) Incorrect. Hypothetical allows for many alternative scenarios off the given choice. As seen nobody has to decude the fate of those chosen here based on a social construct called race. You would chose on a matter of those who would take precedent. Women and Children, followed by those of skills or you decide on chance to decide, the fairest way of all and draw lots. And you end with the most telling point, as people react differently in such real life events. Hence why what is laid out in the question, is for the most part irrelevant. As it can be broken down and simplified.

2) There is something very inherantly wrong to teach children to on an excercize place a social construct, race as a deciding factor. Its as bad as smelly's poor test. Of course people do not have to choose on race in each test. With smelly's it can be the one who your yourself deem closet too you. The younger, the one who seems most like to fall etc. It never had to be needed to be chosen off race. To do was poorly trying to entice a no win situation. Where even if posters then have not chosen based on race, they will be condemned by smelly as racist no matter who they choose.

The object of this second test was not based on race per say, but was added in. Where I find added issue with this is more people are more loyal to their home nation. So would you choose a white Frenchman over a Black Englisman? The answer is no.
If they are all English, then let chance decide.

There is something very wrong where children are asked to chose as an option, based on a social construct, races, to decide the fate of humans. You could then apply the same method to chose out of two, one being saved from the Gas chambre between a Polish Christian and a Polish Jew. Neither their ethnic group or religion are needed to help you decide. As in both cases they are beliefs. Your choices would always be made out of who many factors. Family, skills etc. To make people chose based of an invention within humans, races. is in fact endorsing racist ideology, as it is making people choose off who they would beem the inferior race. As chosing based on race, would mean believeing one is then more important and thus superior to the other.
As seen in each case, as they are in hindsight, you can take your time deciding the methods you came to the conclusion of who to save.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:18 pm

korban dallas wrote:

sorry i dont find arbitrarily deciding who`s life is worth more  .....fun

Best point made on all this and at the end of the day its hypothetical and based in hindsight.

Welcome back Korben

I think hypotheis are very important, but not ones dileberately engineered to invent a prejudice reason on choice, when such a choice need never be made.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:22 pm

I feel there's something missing from this story because I can't believe that anyone would come up with those choices for no good reason. There must surely be more to it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:07 pm

Cuchulain wrote:A Florida elementary school is taking heat for a “Lifeboat quiz” given to kids asking them who should live or die by forcing them to choose between “a black guy” or a “Hispanic woman,”  among others, reports Global News. According to Valerie Kennel, her 11-year-old daughter Leah was given the quiz and asked who should live in hypothetical sea disaster where a lifeboat only has nine seats but there is a diverse cast of 15 people wanting to board.

Among the choices students found “a black guy,” “a white guy,” a Hispanic woman” and “a rabbi.”
Along with “a police officer,” and “a pregnant woman,” sixth-graders must also decide if they want to save President Obama or businessman Donald Trump. “It’s racist in every form,” Kennel explained. “It has nothing to do with history. It has nothing to do with it, and what is it teaching them? Who do you pick? Why is one person better than the other? Why does someone get left out?”

According to the mom and her daughter, the test given at Giunta Middle School disturbed some of the students who refused to complete it. “I got kind of upset about it and everyone else in the classroom was like ‘this is racist, this is racist,'” Leah recalled, noting that one student was reprimanded for protesting the test. According to a statement from the Hillsborough County School District, the quiz was designed to promote team-building and cooperation, and is not intended to be racist. “This school has a culturally diverse population,” the statement reads. “The test brought up good debates on how to work together, building relationships.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/florida-school-slammed-for-lifeboat-quiz-asking-kids-if-they-would-save-a-black-guy-or-a-hispanic-woman/

fuck it, just pack 'em all on, seats or not,,,,,it works for the migrants mostly so take a chance

if it sinks then at least they're all in the same boat tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:24 pm

gelico again wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:A Florida elementary school is taking heat for a “Lifeboat quiz” given to kids asking them who should live or die by forcing them to choose between “a black guy” or a “Hispanic woman,”  among others, reports Global News. According to Valerie Kennel, her 11-year-old daughter Leah was given the quiz and asked who should live in hypothetical sea disaster where a lifeboat only has nine seats but there is a diverse cast of 15 people wanting to board.

fuck it, just pack 'em all on, seats or not,,,,,it works for the migrants mostly so take a chance

Which proves you did not even read any of my answers.
As not only did I make decisions, of which did not require deciding off the social construct race, but thought up a fairer way who to decide, where I would be leaving it up to chance..
So please actually read through the replies already made, to save time having to point this out to you.

Anyway its hypothetical, of which it offered many very little to go on to decide. So again I will repeat for you, that I would place women and children first, then those with the best skills, which would include  more than anything else any experience of those formerly in the Navy, navigation, ships etc. Then the rest can be decided by chance on drawing lots.

Now did any of that have any need of the social construct, races, to decide the fate of those involved in this test?

No

Would it be the bases of any real life saving situation?

Unless the life boat had a majority of racists on board, then no, it would not even enter the deciding factors of who would be saved.

Maybe you can explain to me why you think a choice needs to be made over in only three of the people of the people that are defined by the social construct race?

How then would race play a part in deciding all the rest, when their race is unknown?

Last edited by Cuchulain on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
gelico again wrote:

As not only did I make decisions, of which did not require deciding off the social construct race, but thought up a fairer way who to decide, where I would be leaving it up to chance..
So please actually read through the replies already made, to save time having to point this out to you.

Anyway its hypothetical, of which it offered many very little to go on to decide. So again I will repeat for you, that I would place women and children first, then those with the best skills, which would include  more than anything else any experience of those formerly in the Navy, navigation, ships etc. Then the rest can be decided by chance on drawing lots.

Now did any of that have any need of the social construct, races, to decide the fate of those involved in this test?

No

Unless the life boat had a majority of racists on board, then no, it would not even enter the deciding factors of who would be saved.

Maybe you can explain to me why you think a choice needs to be made over in only two of the people their race?

I have absolutely no idea what you're babbling about, do you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:37 pm

gelico again wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

No

Maybe you can explain to me why you think a choice needs to be made over in only two of the people their race?

I do, that you are now using poor deflections for jumping in without reading the thread.

Tell me, being that most of the people listed do not even have their race defined, how would you use then race as a deciding factor in regards to who you would save?

Is it the case, that the social construct is of no influence when deciding who will be saved?
Are you then placing beliefs over sound reasoning?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
gelico again wrote:

I do, that you are now using poor deflections for jumping in without reading the thread.

Tell me, being that most of the people listed do not even have their race defined, how would you use then race as a deciding factor in regards to who you would save?

Is it the case, that the social construct is of no influence when deciding who will be saved?

you are completely off your chump didge drunken

nite

Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 3489511464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:52 pm

gelico again wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

you are completely off your chump didge    drunken

nite

Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 3489511464

Or more to the point. I easily was able to show you are using poor deflections, because you do not want to admit you never read my answers on how and who to decide.
Hence the irrelevance of your first reply to me.
Oh well.

All the best and goodnight

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:13 am

Raggamuffin wrote:I feel there's something missing from this story because I can't believe that anyone would come up with those choices for no good reason. There must surely be more to it.

Yes rags. Exactly.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:20 am

victorismyhero wrote:hows the woofits? Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 1763903427
they are great thanks but i am not "back per say" just commented as it was such a stupid premise

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:34 am

I'D chuck the lot out, save all the arguing.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:36 am

Sorry, I don't get why asking children, deep and meaningful questions that make them THINK and DEBATE with themselves and eachother, is so wrong?

Children hear things on the news, in eavesdropped conversations, amongst adults and others all the time! Isn't it better to get them involved in asking and making up their minds? It's a great idea!!!

Either some of you think children should be wrapped up in cotton wool or you think we are bringing up robots!!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:24 am

Too true Edds.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:59 pm

eddie wrote:Sorry, I don't get why asking children, deep and meaningful questions that make them THINK and DEBATE with themselves and eachother, is so wrong?

Children hear things on the news, in eavesdropped conversations, amongst adults and others all the time! Isn't it better to get them involved in asking and making up their minds? It's a great idea!!!

Either some of you think children should be wrapped up in cotton wool or you think we are bringing up robots!!

You can have this test, which is deep and meaningful, without the need or requirement to push children into making a prejudiced racial decision. Now if the moral and ethical part of the lesson here was to not choose that as a reason to decide saving people, it would then be a good teaching method. If it is not for that reason, then it would be a very poor teaching method. As they are then introducing a means to justify being prejudice against someone. So the very fact many will already have grown around prejudice, at what benefit will this serve a child, where they then think its acceptable to discrminate based on the social construct race?

The very fact that socities have problems with discrimination through the social concedpt of race. I am at a loss, other than as I have stated, as to what benefit this would be educational wise for a child to make a decision on who to save, based on their race?

So its already a though provoking test for them, where it need not have race as a deciding factor. I would also question placing 11 year olds ito a hypothetical situation where they get to choose who lives and dies. To me they are too young here to fully mentally understand such a test over life and death. By 14 and 15 would be more viable.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:04 pm

How are you "pushing" them if it's their own choice?

How are you going to change anything by not asking?

How will children learn to make their own decisions if you don't ask?

How is hiding an issue, ever going to help?

How will we know what way future generations are changing or thinking, if we don't ask?

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:29 pm

eddie wrote:How are you "pushing" them if it's their own choice?

How are you going to change anything by not asking?

How will children learn to make their own decisions if you don't ask?

How is hiding an issue, ever going to help?

How will we know what way future generations are changing or thinking, if we don't ask?

You just basically ignored everything I said and keep regurgitating the same non-points.
1) It is not hiding an issue, called discrmination. What is being objected to, is placing 11 year old's with the hypothetical view of life and death over others. You can still have discussions about racism, discrimination, without forcing children to make a racial choice over who survives.

If you wanted to teach a lesson on this subject, then the area of WW2 will cover this very well.

So on each of your questions, the topic of racism can be openly talked, about. The children will learn. So to claim the only way the children will learn prejudice is based off this test Eddie, then you are clutching desperately at straws. As you do not need to force children into a situation,, that forces them to choose in a hypothetical situation, they would never seek to chose in real life.

So you need to answer my points and as seen you do not have to force the hand of children, in order for them to understand why discrimination is wrong.

Unless of course you think children should be taught to actively discriminate, which is what this test is provoking to do?

The very fact that socities have problems with discrimination through the social concedpt of race. I am at a loss, other than as I have stated, as to what benefit this would be educational wise for a child to make a decision on who to save, based on their race?

So its already a though provoking test for them, where it need not have race as a deciding factor. I would also question placing 11 year olds ito a hypothetical situation where they get to choose who lives and dies. To me they are too young here to fully mentally understand such a test over life and death. By 14 and 15 would be more viable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Of course you all realise that in actual fact I would save the blond over there with the big booby shake

amnd ONLY the blond....that way in a 10 man life raft we would have 5x the rations and I would have a blond with big booby shake as company Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 4152582110 ...who knows It might even save me Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 1132368643

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:59 pm

victorismyhero wrote:Of course you all realise that in actual fact I would save the blond over there with the big booby shake

amnd ONLY the blond....that way in a 10 man life raft we would have 5x the rations and I would have a blond with big  booby shake  as company    Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 4152582110 ...who knows It might even save me  Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 1132368643

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:22 pm

victorismyhero wrote:Of course you all realise that in actual fact I would save the blond over there with the big booby shake

amnd ONLY the blond....that way in a 10 man life raft we would have 5x the rations and I would have a blond with big  booby shake  as company    Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 4152582110 ...who knows It might even save me  Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ 1132368643

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

I'm blonde Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ Ashame18 Florida school slammed for ‘lifeboat quiz’ asking kids if they would save ‘a black guy’ or ‘a Hispanic woman’ Giggle25

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Didge, there are many wants to broaden the horizons of the young and sometimes, schools, in their wisdom, choose relevant and topical subjects as in the case of the life boat question.

I applaud the school.
What better way to teach children than make them really think, and really question, their morals and
decisions.?

Last edited by eddie on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Dirge. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Dirge. Laughing

Hahahaha I corrected it!
He'd never have believed that was spell check and not deliberate.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:43 pm

eddie wrote:Didge, there are many wants to broaden the horizons of the young and sometimes, schools, in their wisdom, choose relevant and topical subjects as in the case of the life boat question.

I applaud the school.
What better way to teach children than make them really think, and really question, their morals and
decisions.?

So again you fail to not only answer my points but even back up the racial aspect with any rational reason.

So do you take into account their mental capcity at this age?
No, the fact is they will learn more and more through schooll. I am all for challenging tests, but not where that as a part of this test, it is placing a bias in the test to steer people towards decisions. So that is not allowing at all for a challenging test. As what would have been for the characters, is including professions, nationality, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, single, family. Where this only applied to some, it forces the hand in the decision making. You should allow for indendent thought, of which this test steers the direction of answers.

Anyway as you have not offered a rational reason to use such prejudice, forcing the hand of children to make such a racial prejudice decision, is like forcing any belief onto someone. You have to allow for people to decide for themselves. This test denies freedom of thinking and very little choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:30 pm

We are not going to agree lol and coming from a background in education, I know where they were going with this.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 pm

eddie wrote:We are not going  to agree lol and coming from a background in education, I know where they were going with this.

Well like I said Eddie, if all the charcters in the test had their gender, profession, religion, ethnicity, nationality, single, family etc. Then the children would have been able to come to their own decisions, They would have had freedom to decide how best they would choose. Then you would achieve far better fairer results, where no bias has led them to making their decisions. They are not being steered to decide. Then after you could see if any pupils ended making some choices via race. To then form this as a follow up lesson.

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:44 pm

I don't really see the point of it. Is the point to make children decide who is more useful to society or something?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I don't really see the point of it. Is the point to make children decide who is more useful to society or something?

Perhaps it's just an exercise in how to make snap decisions?

Perhaps they wanted to see how this generation thought about the refugees?

Who knows? It just seems a great idea to me.
Kids know so much these days and aren't as stupid as we think!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:58 pm

already did this scenario and the racists went scurrying back into the woodwork

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:59 pm

No we took apart your racist scenario dalek, as people can choose other reasons who and why they wish to save which does not have to be based on colour

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:01 pm

No you avoided the question.
Only les and I answered it properly and truthfully.

Woof!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next