NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why some people don't sing the national anthem

+2
nicko
Irn Bru
6 posters

Go down

Why some people don't sing the national anthem Empty Why some people don't sing the national anthem

Post by Irn Bru Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:01 am

Jeremy Corbyn has been criticised for staying silent as God Save the Queen was sung. What are people's reasons for refusing to sing along?

The Labour leader has attracted much criticism for not singing along to the national anthem as it played at a Battle of Britain memorial service. Labour sources have said he will sing it at future official events.

But he's not the first public figure to remain tight-lipped as the song plays. Sporting stars have come under regular criticism for failing to join in, and there are those who have principled reasons for not doing so.

So why don't they sing along?
They don't believe in God, or the monarchy

For those who support an elected head of state, singing in praise of a hereditary monarch is politically problematic.

Those who don't believe in the existence of a deity might have problems with it too. People in both categories are in a double bind.

"As a republican and an atheist why would I sing the national anthem, or hymns?" asks novelist John Niven, author of the Sunshine Cruise Company. "Belting out praise to entities I don't believe in? It staggers me that people are shocked by this."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34268442

Some of these reasons seem pretty reasonable to me.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Why some people don't sing the national anthem Empty Re: Why some people don't sing the national anthem

Post by nicko Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:08 am

The best reason is , they don't know the words!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Why some people don't sing the national anthem Empty Re: Why some people don't sing the national anthem

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:43 am

unpatriotic dogs is the reason

there are plenty of athiests who DO sing the anthem, because its the anthem

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Isn't the anthem more to do with one's country, than one's religion?

It's more patriotism then about god.

He should've sang along; he wants to represent the country....doesn't he?

And Irn? If that was Farage that had done that, and the the subject of this thread, then this thread would've been entirely different!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Funnily enough, Prince Harry didn't sing it at the rugby, and not a murmer.

I wouldn't sing it, because I acknowledge anyone better or worse than me by birth.  In fact, when I Dad got the OBE he rang me and said 'I can only take two, taking your Mum and Nan, because you'd never curtsey would you!'.  Too right I wouldn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:02 pm

If your legs are anything like mine you wouldn't get up again!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 pm

Very true, but I was younger then lol

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm not a royalist by any stretch of the imagination but I'd still sing the national anthem; it's because I love my country.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:44 pm

eddie wrote:I'm not a royalist by any stretch of the imagination but I'd still sing the national anthem; it's because I love my country.

Everyone has to make their own choice Eds.  If they had one that didn't involve the royals I might, but while we have that dirge, it ain't never gonna happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:57 pm

sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:I'm not a royalist by any stretch of the imagination but I'd still sing the national anthem; it's because I love my country.

Everyone has to make their own choice Eds.  If they had one that didn't involve the royals I might, but while we have that dirge, it ain't never gonna happen.

It is a shit song, I'll give you that

And I don't know all the words Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:39 pm

God Save the Queen? I don't even know the melody.

What happens if you have a King? Must he be the Queen?

Too weird. Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:43 pm

personally i would prefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:23 am

It shouldn't be an issue. And if you are a republican then singing it makes you a hypocrite. Do people want a hypocrite as a politician? ;-)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:19 am

victorismyhero wrote:personally i would prefer

Nice. Gorgeous voice.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:30 pm

I love my country too and I don't have to sing the national anthem to prove it. I just pay the taxes the government expects me to pay.

I don't hide any of my assets offshore in the Cayman Islands or anywhere else and I don't move money around or subscibe to any tax avoidance schemes either. And I wouldn't threaten to leave the country if the government asked me to pay a little bit more tax to get the nations finances back on track

And I don't claim expenses whilst expecting the tax payer to pick up the bill for a breakfast that comes to around £39 a pop.

That' whi I love my country unlike those that do these things and sing the national anthem the loudest.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Fair enough Irn i agree you can be proud and loyal in many ways and it is how the individual themselves thinks what makes someone proud and loyal.
The problem is to many and with a public servant, it does not bode well to not be seen vocally show this through singing a national athem. It is after all this more about public perception and how they could lose favour with someone who does not seem vocally patriotic I guess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:47 pm

Anyway I should add. Its a tad absurd for many athiests to sing the national anthem as they are calling on something they do not believe in to save the Queen. Hence why I think its long over due we changed the national anthem of which it should be Land of Hope and Glory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:25 pm

Cuchulain wrote:Anyway I should add. Its a tad absurd for many athiests to sing the national anthem as they are calling on something they do not believe in to save the Queen. Hence why I think its long over due we changed the national anthem of which it should be Land of Hope and Glory

Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464 Why some people don't sing the national anthem 3489511464

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Irn Bru wrote:I love my country too and I don't have to sing the national anthem to prove it. I just pay the taxes the government expects me to pay.

I don't hide any of my assets offshore in the Cayman Islands or anywhere else and I don't move money around or subscibe to any tax avoidance schemes either. And I wouldn't threaten to leave the country if the government asked me to pay a little bit more tax to get the nations finances back on track

And I don't claim expenses whilst expecting the tax payer to pick up the bill for a breakfast that comes to around £39 a pop.

That' whi I love my country unlike those that do these things and sing the national anthem the loudest.

Indeed.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:18 pm

There are lots of hypocrisies, not just taxes. But I agree.

The one thing I fear most these days is the very thing that anthems bring out in people: irrational pride. We've got enough irrationality going on in RW circles these days. Donald Trump. The RW lies and mendacity. What they won't do to get into another beloved war!!

FGS, don't stir them from their eternal sleep.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Eilzel wrote:It shouldn't be an issue. And if you are a republican then singing it makes you a hypocrite. Do people want a hypocrite as a politician? ;-)

But you do admit, that if this was Farage...well then, it would be different thread altogether!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:41 pm

Irn Bru wrote:I love my country too and I don't have to sing the national anthem to prove it. I just pay the taxes the government expects me to pay.

Do you sing it all? Rebellious Scots to crush and all that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down