NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French school makes Muslims and Jews wear red discs

+2
nicko
Fuzzy Zack
6 posters

Go down

French school makes Muslims and Jews wear red discs Empty French school makes Muslims and Jews wear red discs

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:09 am

A school in central France has provoked outrage for making Muslim and Jewish pupils wear a red disc around their necks at lunchtime so canteen staff would not serve them pork.The Piedalloues primary school in Auxerre, in Burgundy, gave red discs to non-pork eating pupils and yellow discs to those who do not eat meat.Eighteen of the school’s 1,500 pupils were made to wear the discs. They were withdrawn after protests by angry parents and community leaders, who said they were reminiscent of the yellow stars Jews were forced to wear under the Nazi occupation.

“It’s revolting. It reminds you of the darkest times,” said a local councillor, Malika Ounès. “Practices like this are not acceptable. No one has the right to impose this on children.”Christian Sautier, director of communications in the mayor’s office, said it was “an isolated, clumsy and unfortunate initiative” that lasted only one day. He said it had been put into effect by canteen staff without informing local authorities, who ended it immediately.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11893704/French-school-makes-Muslims-and-Jews-wear-red-discs.html

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

French school makes Muslims and Jews wear red discs Empty Re: French school makes Muslims and Jews wear red discs

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:57 am

What a load of fuss about nothing.  They all wear tags to represent food groups so the kitchen staff don't get it wrong.

Back to top Go down

French school makes Muslims and Jews wear red discs Empty Re: French school makes Muslims and Jews wear red discs

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:01 pm

so sassy

i take it you dont like IDS??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:43 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:so sassy

Don't think she is alone in that Smelly.!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Nems wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:so sassy

dont know why

he is getting the lazy chav scum back into work. surely its a good thing??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Nems wrote:

dont know why

he is getting the lazy chav scum back into work. surely its a good thing??

Thing is though Smelly, he isn't
Unemployment is up again.
Zero hours contracts are not jobs.

I find it a bit disappointing that intelligent people allow themselves to be
Brainwashed into thinking that those in need are the cause of all ills.

If we can afford millions to plant Thatcher and we can subsidise lunches in the House of Lords we can look after the poor and sick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:03 pm

Zero contract hours are jobs and in fact have helped reduce crime.
Many people actually like these types of contracts because they suit them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/zero-hours-contracts-have-helped-to-break-link-between-unemployment-and-crime-10502596.html

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:01 pm

We can afford millions to "plant" Thatcher, have some fucking respect, nasty thing to say even if you didn,t like her.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:11 pm

nicko wrote:We can afford millions to "plant"  Thatcher,    have some fucking respect, nasty thing to say even if you didn,t like her.

Sorry Nicko, no
That woman gets no respect from me.
As Frankie Boyle said "for what that funeral cost, we could have given every man woman and child in Scotland a shovel and dug a pit so deep we could have handed her over to Satan personally"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Alright I'll be honest......what's zero hours?

And please don't ask me to Google it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:16 pm

Shady wrote:Alright I'll be honest......what's zero hours?

It's a job where you have no guarantee of any work. Some weeks there may be some other weeks none and you can't do other work because you have to be available at all times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Nems wrote:

It's a job where you have no guarantee of any work. Some weeks there may be some other weeks none and you can't do other work because you have to be available at all times.

Good afternoon Nems.

Riiiiight.Forgive my ignorance here but when you say jobs,do you mean casual labour jobs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Nems wrote:

I don't think that the last bit applies - exclusivity clauses can't be enforced.

These contracts suit some people, and not others.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Nems wrote:

I don't think that the last bit applies - exclusivity clauses can't be enforced.

They were made illegal in the 2015 Act but employment lawyers say the law has no enfcement clauses.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/26/conservatives-zero-hours-contracts-small-business-act-david-cameron-toothless

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Nems wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

They were made illegal in the 2015 Act but employment lawyers say the law has no enfcement clauses.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/26/conservatives-zero-hours-contracts-small-business-act-david-cameron-toothless

What's the problem though? If a person finds work elsewhere, they don't need any work at the first company. They're not gaining anything, and they're not losing anything either. The employer isn't obliged to provide regular work, and the employee is not obliged to accept any work offered.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Nems wrote:

What's the problem though? If a person finds work elsewhere, they don't need any work at the first company. They're not gaining anything, and they're not losing anything either. The employer isn't obliged to provide regular work, and the employee is not obliged to accept any work offered.

So what kind of jobs are these zero hours people doing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:52 pm

Shady wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Anything really - probably not very skilled. Hotels, restaurants, and catering for events, cleaning, and office support, according to this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31859468

I guess it's like agency work. I used to do some temping, and work wasn't guaranteed. It was my choice though. In self-employment, work isn't guaranteed either.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Shady wrote:

Anything really - probably not very skilled. Hotels, restaurants, and catering for events, cleaning, and office support, according to this article.

I guess it's like agency work. I used to do some temping, and work wasn't guaranteed. It was my choice though. In self-employment, work isn't guaranteed either.

Thank you Raggs & that clarifies things for me.So I take it,that zero hours suits some people? People that are in a position to work odd hours & have no problem with an ad hoc work basis?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:02 pm

Shady wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Thank you Raggs & that clarifies things for me.So I take it,that zero hours suits some people? People that are in a position to work odd hours & have no problem with an ad hoc work basis?

Yes. People who don't need a regular wage, for example, or people who like something to do from time to time and don't have other commitments.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:16 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No, skilled jobs too. Doctors, nurses and even lawyers.

OK.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:21 pm

So why are so many people dripping about zero hours then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:23 pm

Shady wrote:So why are so many people dripping about zero hours then?

They object to the lack of job security I guess.

I'm not sure how it affects unemployment figures if someone has one of these contracts to show they're "employed", but that's not a gripe of individual people.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Shady wrote:So why are so many people dripping about zero hours then?

They object to the lack of job security I guess.

I'm not sure how it affects unemployment figures if someone has one of these contracts to show they're "employed", but that's not a gripe of individual people.

I know this is different,but if I was paid by the hour I'd be a millionaire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Shady wrote:
Nems wrote:

Good afternoon Nems.

Riiiiight.Forgive my ignorance here but when you say jobs,do you mean casual labour jobs?

No Shady there are zero hours contracts in many fields
Unfortunately the bills and cost of living has not gone zero hours they need paying every week

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:01 pm

My niece is zero hours contract and some weeks she has no work and like nems says bills still need paying don't they .

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:17 am

Isn't this 'zero hours' type of work just another name for temp/agency type of work that has been around for donkeys years?

'Casual labour' is nothing new...

I've done it... some weeks, not a lot of work available... other weeks there was more work being offered than could be done!

And while there was no work, the benefits system would pay for the bare essentials...

Also, in most of the skilled agency/temp work positions, the wage rates are highly lucrative enough to compensate for periods where no work was available.

But overall... if You want and need a proper full time job then you need to get one... plenty of them out there...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:57 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Isn't this 'zero hours' type of work just another name for temp/agency type of work that has been around for donkeys years?

I've done it... some weeks, not a lot of work available... other weeks there was more work being offered than could be done!

And while there was no work, the benefits system would pay for the bare essentials...

Also, in most of the skilled agency/temp work positions, the wage rates are highly lucrative enough to compensate for periods where no work was available.

But overall... if You want and need a proper full time job then you need to get one... plenty of them out there...

Yes, I agree. Lots of people do casual work, and they don't necessarily have a pre-existing contract, but a zero hours contract saves the company from having to advertise every time they need some casual labour I suppose.

As you say, it's a bit like a temp agency. You have a contract with them, but they don't necessarily guarantee you any work. I used to temp in London, and the rates of pay were good, and there was usually work around, but it's not so good where I am now.

If people know they need to pay bills on a regular basis, it would be a bit silly for them to sign up for a zero hours contract - they should just go for something with more hours which are guaranteed.

It's like being self employed. You can't make people give you work, so if you need a regular pay packet, don't do it unless you can take the risk or you're sure you can make it pay.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:Isn't this 'zero hours' type of work just another name for temp/agency type of work that has been around for donkeys years?

Yes, I agree. Lots of people do casual work, and they don't necessarily have a pre-existing contract, but a zero hours contract saves the company from having to advertise every time they need some casual labour I suppose.

As you say, it's a bit like a temp agency. You have a contract with them, but they don't necessarily guarantee you any work. I used to temp in London, and the rates of pay were good, and there was usually work around, but it's not so good where I am now.

If people know they need to pay bills on a regular basis, it would be a bit silly for them to sign up for a zero hours contract - they should just go for something with more hours which are guaranteed.

It's like being self employed. You can't make people give you work, so if you need a regular pay packet, don't do it unless you can take the risk or you're sure you can make it pay.
Some people don't have the luxury of choice though. If the dole says take it or be sanctioned, what do you do?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:33 am

Nems wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Some people don't have the luxury of choice though. If the dole says take it or be sanctioned, what do you do?

Take it. If they do get work, they don't get JSA for however long they get work for, and if they don't, they still get JSA.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:39 am

Exactly rags... if there is work one week then declare it to job centre and all good, if not then the job centre will still have to pay... also housing benefit can continue to be paid to anyone on a low income regardless of whether getting JSA or not.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:03 pm

Back to the op

What's wrong with wearing a disc to show a food type preference? They'd soon all be screaming if they got given the wrong food!

I've done temp work too, back in the day. It was very suited to me as I liked moving around and meeting new people.
And it paid bloody well.

But I was single and living with my parents at the time.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:09 pm

I'm wondering why these pupils needed to wear discs. couldn't they just say that they don't eat pork, or meat, or whatever?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:30 pm

If all the others were wearing a disc too to indicate general food ok etc, then that would be ok?

But as this would be easier to signify by the not wearing of a disc...

Don't see what the fuss is about really...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:33 pm

personally, apart from "medically required" diets, I'd not offer a choice and certainly not "religious" or "nut job " diets

IF your beliefs...whatever they are...dictate that you "want", rather than "need" (as in you will die if you dont eat it/do eat it) then it should not be the parish of the state to pander to your requirements...

simples......

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:03 am

I think it is for the best that we don't have canteen lunches here (we do but they are just like a shop you walk up and order what you want and pay)

most kids just bring a lunch box of food to school. Neutral
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:47 am

yes, well veya, i suppose we could abandon yet another social welfare idea upon the altar of "multiculturalism"........

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:55 am

we never had it that I know of, seems a bit weird to me.
And I am imagining something like the US School Cafeteria
Surely there are enough fussy kids to make it a hassle anyway?

maybe it's the weather as we don't really need a hot lunch, here most kids just have sandwiches bought from home.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down